HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 04:57 PM
arsmaster

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BerSTUzzi View Post
You used up all your power roasting me yesterday with your Hodgson for Tavares line....stupid me forgot the Shredder +
I thought it was pretty good.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:20 PM
canucksfan100

1st = Mantha or Zykov
Both big guys with tons of skill, could be top line guys, if not solid 2nd line guys for sure.

2nd = Hudson Fasching/Jacob De La Rose
Both very good two way players, Fasching is a good skating Power Forward, who likes to use his body. De La Rose is a good all around Centerman, who also likes to get into dirty areas and use his body.

3rd and Beyond: Samuel Morin D, Keaton Thompson D, Jared Hauf D, Anton Cederholm D, Lucas Wallmark RW, Anton Slepyshev LW,

Old
03-14-2013, 08:25 PM
arsmaster

Thefeebster - I know you follow the OHL pretty well, what are your thoughts on Moutrey from Saginaw?

jimmy lodge?

Cheers

Old
03-14-2013, 08:46 PM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Mantra has numbers of a top 5 draft pick and he's 6"4 to boot. We gonna have to tank hard to get him. I can see teams starting to look at him in top 10.
Kind of crazy isn't it. Top 5 type numbers but could be there 15-20 because he's disinterested. In some ways it is counter-logical unless you are afraid of being unable to break bad habits. Can you imagine the number if he showed up every shift, there is a guy some untapped upside. Some team could be getting an enormous steal in that range if they can motivate him. If not Chris Steward mk II-type, can be dominate or not.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Kind of crazy isn't it. Top 5 type numbers but could be there 15-20 because he's disinterested. In some ways it is counter-logical unless you are afraid of being unable to break bad habits. Can you imagine the number if he showed up every shift, there is a guy some untapped upside. Some team could be getting an enormous steal in that range if they can motivate him. If not Chris Steward mk II-type, can be dominate or not.
Or you could be getting a guy who can dominate lower levels due to his size and skill but can't crack it at any higher level because he won't put in the work and won't be able to create the space that he can at junior levels. Having seen him play, I'm not comfortable projecting him solely based on his point totals.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:24 AM
thefeebster

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Thefeebster - I know you follow the OHL pretty well, what are your thoughts on Moutrey from Saginaw?

jimmy lodge?

Cheers
I like both of those players, but they are different. Moutrey is currently playing on the 2nd line RW, while Lodge plays with one of the best combo's in the OHL, Ross-Locke. Moutrey is more of a typical powerforward, nice size, physical, battles well along the boards. Plays on the 2nd PP and PK units. Smart player, but he doesn't have a very good shot, scores by being in the right spot and hard work, and not very fast. He grew 2 inches + over 20 lbs since the 2011 OHL draft.

Lodge is more of a skilled winger who has a good frame, very good skater, more dynamic offensively. He does have better linemates and opportunities (1st PP iirc), but from what I've seen, he's contributing as well as using his linemates to his advantage. He is a surprisingly good passer, good vision. He sets up a lot of plays for those two guys as well. He's definitely more raw than Moutrey, but also, may just have a higher ceiling. In the 2011 OHL draft, he was listed as 5'11" 150, so he's grown about 3 inches, but in a recent interview said he is still 165 lbs. There's a lot of room to fill out that body. On the main forum, they say he shies away from contact, maybe that's true, but i didn't see it as a major detriment. Who knows though, they probably see him more and have seen him in lower levels.

I think i'd choose Lodge first, but Moutrey wouldn't be far behind.

-------

One guy i am very interested in is Matt Buckles. Said to be another guy who plays a power kind of a game, tenacious too, but his coach says he could work on his skating in terms of quickness. Buckles himself says one of the best parts of his game is his shot and hating to lose. He was 5'8" in 2011, hit a growth spurt and is now 6'1 204 lbs but uses that size. He played in the OJHL this season, but dominated for a 17 yr old with 40 goals in 50 games, 8th in OJHL points but everyone above him has at least a year or two on him, he has a pt in all but one playoff game so far. He is committed to Cornell and sounds committed to schooling for at least a few years. I hope whomever scouts the OJHL every year for us got a good look at him. Haven't seen him ranked much in the top 90, so he could be a good project for the 4th round onwards.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:25 AM
arsmaster

http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...s-iss-has.html

New ISS rankings for march, outside of Nicushkin ahead of Drouin and Mackinnon, the big surprise to me is Erne outside the top 30.

Erne has now gone from 15 in January, to 26 in February to outside the 1st in March (probably sitting at 31).

Old
03-15-2013, 11:32 AM
Tiranis

I have to wonder if ISS thinks Nichushkin has Nash or Ovechkin like potential. His KHL playoffs have certainly been memorable with 5 goals and 1 assist in 9 games. At his age that's spectacular.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

vCash: 696
Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
http://thepipelineshow.blogspot.ca/2...s-iss-has.html

New ISS rankings for march, outside of Nicushkin ahead of Drouin and Mackinnon, the big surprise to me is Erne outside the top 30.

Erne has now gone from 15 in January, to 26 in February to outside the 1st in March (probably sitting at 31).
Monahan dropping to the bottom of the top 10 surprises me too. I would love to move up in the draft to acquire him.

03-15-2013, 11:46 AM
Tiranis

Domi drops to 28 on their rankings. Interesting. I would love to get him — plays hockey the right way. Can't imagine he slips that far IRL.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:14 PM
PRNuck
Retain Kevin Lowe

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
Domi drops to 28 on their rankings. Interesting. I would love to get him plays hockey the right way. Can't imagine he slips that far IRL.
Yeah, normally I'm a little scared off by players from powerhouse teams because of the Greg Nemisz effect, but Domi looks to be a beauty, I don't think that's an issue with him.

(Petan worries me though)

Old
03-15-2013, 12:17 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Domi drops to 28 on their rankings. Interesting. I would love to get him plays hockey the right way. Can't imagine he slips that far IRL.
My Leaf hate has made me biased on this player, but at 28 you can't pass him up.

Hands like Giroux, lower body like Crosby, competitive like Kesler.

Interesting, I really hope we don't move our 1st at the deadline this year, unless it's for a 1st round talent under 24 (Couturier specifically).

Old
03-15-2013, 12:22 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Yeah, normally I'm a little scared off by players from powerhouse teams because of the Greg Nemisz effect, but Domi looks to be a beauty, I don't think that's an issue with him.

(Petan worries me though)
Domi is a driver of the offense, unlike Nemisz who was just there enjoying the 1st round ride.

Lazar is where he should be on that list, not where I want him to be though.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:24 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Domi is a driver of the offense, unlike Nemisz who was just there enjoying the 1st round ride.

Lazar is where he should be on that list, not where I want him to be though.
So is Petan for that matter. Neither should be compared to Nemisz.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
It's mostly because of how AV and Bowness run their D. Plenty of teams in the league don't have that same issue.
there was a quote from an article on that sloan conference, and a few teams are starting to look at or adopt that mentality - mostly i think inspired by baseball and playing the percentages re pitcher vs batter

Old
03-15-2013, 12:25 PM
Verviticus

Quote:
does he play it the white way

Old
03-15-2013, 12:29 PM
Vankiller Whale
Win it for AV

vCash: 1675
It would be pretty awesome if all of Mantha, Domi, and Erne are available at our pick.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
It would be pretty awesome if all of Mantha, Domi, and Erne are available at our pick.
ISS is on crack though, the person whom seems to be getting a lot closer to reality is () Button.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
So is Petan for that matter. Neither should be compared to Nemisz.
Having seen Portland live (albeit one time), Petan drives the offense more than his linemates do.

He's a creative player in all 3 zones. Very aware on the ice. Makes those 5 foot passes in his own zone, and those touch passes in the neutral zone look easy.

He drives the bus on his line as Center's usually do.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:57 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
Corey Perry

Old
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
Corey Perry
Mantha doesn't have the bite to his game that Perry always had. The consistent issues with effort and overall skill package is the same.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:15 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Corey Perry
Have to agree with berstuzzi here.
Quote:
Mantha doesn't have the bite to his game that Perry always had. The consistent issues with effort and overall skill package is the same.
Exactly, Perry's problem was that he was risky with the puck, and tried the dangle too often.

It's why he was the last forward added to the 2005 WJ team, but by the end of it, he was on the #1 line with Crosby and Bergeron (although Ladd, Carter, and Getzlaf would be a pretty good 1st line in their own right).

Old
03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Tiranis

For Mantha, playoffs will be the real test. If his production declines significantly then there should be big-time concerns about how his play will translate to the NHL (and even if it doesn't, there should still be major concerns). So far he has faded quite a bit down the stretch and only has 8 goals and 8 assists in last 17 games.

Then you also have to consider that he's both big and older than other guys (missed the cut-off for last year by 2 days).

Old
03-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Bleach Clean

I think Button's list found on TSN is pretty good. Found here: http://www.tsn.ca/draftcentre/feature/?id=49649

It doesn't seem to have players wildly out of the spots where they should go. Maybe Lazar is a bit late, but on the whole, he seems to do better than ISS here.

Funny thing about ISS mid-season rankings: Gaunce was 7th and 11th overall within them. Goes to show how much the list can actually diverge from what the scouts think.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:18 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
so which 5 player is your wishlist that you want MG to draft?

Closed Thread