HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Team 1040 vs CKNW 980 ( Dan Russell, Tyler Green, Joe Leary, Paul Debron Fired)

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 04:30 PM
Momesso

vCash: 500
He is a competent PBP guy, and his hockey knowledge is better than the plugs you get on Team 1040.

But that arrogance - leading to an unprofessional bias, is what kept him from leaving anything of a legacy.

I really find it pathetic when sports-journalists think they're more important than the atheletes and the teams they cover. We seem to have that in spades here.

I miss the days of Howie Meeker, Jim Robson and Tommy Larscheid. Especially Meeker and his telestrator. Even John McKeachie was more interesting than the likes of what we have today.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:40 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post
He is a competent PBP guy, and his hockey knowledge is better than the plugs you get on Team 1040.

But that arrogance - leading to an unprofessional bias, is what kept him from leaving anything of a legacy.

I really find it pathetic when sports-journalists think they're more important than the atheletes and the teams they cover. We seem to have that in spades here.

I miss the days of Howie Meeker, Jim Robson and Tommy Larscheid. Especially Meeker and his telestrator. Even John McKeachie was more interesting than the likes of what we have today.
I think that's why I'm so hard on Russell because IMHO, he was THAT good back in the old days. A shame he let his personal feelings cloud his judgement to the point of spewing out vitroil (on anything involving the Canucks) whenever he can nowadays.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:15 PM
jatt4life

CKNW to get rid of sportstalk

As of aug 31, Dan Russell will be gone. Thank god, about time

http://www.theprovince.com/touch/sto...medium=twitter

Old
03-15-2013, 05:17 PM
orcatown

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
1040 may have a bias towards the Canucks but Price and Patterson are so anti Canuck that its nauseating. They're terrible.

Actually all of 1040 sucks. Including Taylor.

Pratt on CKNW is the best. By far. Ill give Sheldon a listen.

Although I'd cut Luc off too
Agree with this. So tired of Taylor's shtick. Thing about Pratt is, that despite faults, he's a pro and knows how to organize a show.

1040 is awful and will be until they get someone to come in and shake things up. Really they make Vancouver look like a hick town. The extremely bland B-Mac (love how they are always giving nicknames to try to make people sound cooler) and Taylor thing is complete dribble, a complete waste of time. At least Pratt gave it some punch and a little humor.

Maybe fortunate for Russell that he is being bagged. Will give him time to go off and get some professional help in dealing with his personal psychosis about the Canucks.

Price and Patterson are in way over their heads.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:49 PM
xtra

Well its abotu time.....dan russell is not that smart and full of hate. I remember back when we traded for linden back in 2001 i called that trade an overpayment and commented on his show abotu that, he was arrogant enough to comment that i was a weirdo and didn't know what i was talking about. But then as time proved we gave up too much in that trade: a 1st and 3rd for a guy that end up putting up 71 goals in 438 games in his second stint (or 0.16 gpg). How sad is it that our media gets shown up by an 15 year old know it all...

Old
03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momesso View Post

This is a bang on post. That's exactly what the problem is. Russell thought he was bigger than the sport/team/fanbase he was covering.

I would complain to Russell often - during his Bertuzzi ranting years - and he was always incredibly rude in replying to my complaints. I held on to hope that he would get over his need for revenge against the Canucks and that his show would return to the way it was circa the late 80's early 90's.

His show in that time frame was incredibly good. He would have exceptional guests on - Brian Burke (was good at the time), Rod Beaton, the Seattle NFL guy, and his open phone segments were always entertaining.

I'd check in with Russell now and then to see what he was up to, but it was just all the same negative ******** as before. The guy hates everything about the Canucks and nothing they can do is going to ever change that. He shows focused on the Vancouver Giants, which for someone not based in Vancouver seemed ludicrous to me. He used up long stetches of airtime to talk about his boring kids, his boring trips to Sun Peaks and his lame anecdotes about his time doing PBP for the Giants. His banter with that lame producer of his was mind numbing.

I am glad he got what was coming to him.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
John Bender

Does this mean Russell is also sacked as the PBP guy for the Giants? Wow. How far he has fallen.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
YouppiKiYay

I dislike Pratt, but he was masterful at playing the outsider card before the TEAM had Canucks rights. Perhaps CKNW can build an evening/postgame show around that posture, but without the baggage that Russell brought.

At the same time, three stations of sports programming on AM radio is quite a lot between 7 and midnight in Vancouver. I'd kind of like to see CKNW go in a totally different direction, not sports.

I can't see Bell losing the rights to Corus at any point in the future.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:35 PM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
As bad as Pratt can make me facepalm at times, at the very least I find him entertaining. I told everyone Pratt leaving 1040 would have them take a big hit. Personally, I stopped listening regularly that November.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
CKNW probably gearing up for contract rights when the TEAM's expires.
Canucks and Team radio signed an extension in 2011 which gives them their rights until 2017.

4 more years still so I doubt it's because of that.

I think Pratt and then Sheldon is what they're going to give a try.

Pratt destroyed 1040 when he left.

Agree with Rev May, I stopped listening regularly when Pratt left. Bmac is not funny and Taylor is plain terrible. "Oh hey look! I'm 13 I'm going to make you laugh while you're doing a promo EVERY single time! Because its funny to nobody but us!"

Old
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Bieksa#3

team1040 is garbage now.

Bad enough that Rick Ball no longer did the Canucks lunch but Pratt leaving the show has made them looks so amateurish. I didn't even like Pratt but atleast as a host he could entertain much better than the clowns currently.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
team1040 is garbage now.

Bad enough that Rick Ball no longer did the Canucks lunch but Pratt leaving the show has made them looks so amateurish. I didn't even like Pratt but atleast as a host he could entertain much better than the clowns currently.
Pratt knew next to nothing about hockey but was a solid host and like many have said, knew how to put a show together.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:54 PM
VeteranNetPresence
Hey, Orpheus!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Canucks and Team radio signed an extension in 2011 which gives them their rights until 2017.

4 more years still so I doubt it's because of that.

I think Pratt and then Sheldon is what they're going to give a try.

Pratt destroyed 1040 when he left.

Agree with Rev May, I stopped listening regularly when Pratt left. Bmac is not funny and Taylor is plain terrible. "Oh hey look! I'm 13 I'm going to make you laugh while you're doing a promo EVERY single time! Because its funny to nobody but us!"
yes i realize this, but i would argue this decision has more to do with the long term by showing the canucks org. they are willing to not put up with the kind of spin dan russell has been doing for years now. every radio station would want the rights to the canucks and CKNW is no different, and they realize they can't get those with dan russell still at the station so it's a smart business move on their part.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:18 PM
kevinsane
Lundqvist clone.

His ego got so damned big that when he didn't get the Canucks PBP job he took it personally. There are 30 PBP jobs in the NHL, yet he felt entitled to one.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:34 PM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
I've only listened to Russell do WHL PBP once and it was post-lockout when the Giants were playing Kelowna. He kept referring to Alex Edler as EYE-dler. Irritating.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:29 AM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

I sent one hell of an email to the TEAM after they fired Pratt.

I live in Edmonton now and the best radio guy by far is Mark Spector. Even for Canucks coverage. By the time Pratt or Bmac or any of these Vancouver guys are done talking about celebrity birthdays and BS, Mark is covering the Canucks. If something happens in CanuckVille, Mark Spector will cover it. He talks HOCKEY.

Plus Mark Spectors demeanor is hilarious. He doesn't realize how funny he is.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:52 AM
mikeymike79

So true guys... we listen to sports radio for ENTERTAINMENT. Sometimes it seems like that gets lost in today's radio. Pratt was good... he had a strong opinion and takes a stance. Sure he was totally wrong sometimes but at least it sparked great discussion.

Some of the 1040 guys now are just plain boring.

The Moj is alright tho

Old
03-16-2013, 08:20 AM
John Bender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldrunner View Post

I live in Edmonton now and the best radio guy by far is Mark Spector. Even for Canucks coverage. By the time Pratt or Bmac or any of these Vancouver guys are done talking about celebrity birthdays and BS, Mark is covering the Canucks. If something happens in CanuckVille, Mark Spector will cover it. He talks HOCKEY.

Mark spector is an oiler homer that is never well informed about the Canucks. His articles on sportsnet are some of the most oiler biased pieces of **** I have ever read. To counter them sportsnet should allow John Garrett to write about the oilers.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:25 AM
Free Torts

Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
Mark spector is an oiler homer that is never well informed about the Canucks. His articles on sportsnet are some of the most oiler biased pieces of **** I have ever read. To counter them sportsnet should allow John Garrett to write about the oilers.
Oiler fans don't see it that way. Lots of them hate Spector.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
LolClarkson*
Canucks 4 the cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanGrossman View Post
I wouldn't say he's a homer. He respects the what the Canucks have done. I only read one of his sportsnet pieces.

He's the man. TEAM should make him an offer.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
I wouldn't say he's a homer. He respects the what the Canucks have done. I only read one of his sportsnet pieces.

He's the man. TEAM should make him an offer.

Now THAT's funny....

Old
03-16-2013, 01:23 PM
Proto

Quote:

You must be related to him. Otherwise, this is inexplicable

Old
03-16-2013, 01:51 PM
John Bender

Spector is a mammoth assclown. Team 1040 should not go anywhere near the ******.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:27 PM
YouppiKiYay

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeteranNetPresence View Post
yes i realize this, but i would argue this decision has more to do with the long term by showing the canucks org. they are willing to not put up with the kind of spin dan russell has been doing for years now. every radio station would want the rights to the canucks and CKNW is no different, and they realize they can't get those with dan russell still at the station so it's a smart business move on their part.
But radio rights aren't the standalone they used to be. Now they are tied up in various content delivery platforms beyond the radio. Corus is a content producer, but they lack the range of delivery options that a company like Bell has.

Sports broadcasting in Canada is a two horse race -- Bell and Rogers, and Rogers has no local sports radio station, yet.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Johnny LaRue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bieksa#3 View Post
team1040 is garbage now.

The Rick Ball lunch show followed by Pratt and Taylor was pretty solid. Ball moved onto primarily Canucks and Lions broadcasting, so that is fine, but canning Pratt was stupid. Taylor is soooo boring.

On the note of Dan Russel, I haven't loved him over the past seven or eight years, but I feel bad for anyone that loses their job.

Closed Thread