HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 05:33 PM
SouthernHab

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorinth View Post
So pacifists use examples to back up their claims whereas, without any evidence whatsoever you attribute magical powers to the enforcer that make every single player on his team better and every single player on the opposing team worse. Those sneaky pacifists and their facts.
Bruins winning a Stanley Cup and the Habs without a Cup in two decades seems to skew the facts against you, eh?

Old
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Bruins winning a Stanley Cup and the Habs without a Cup in two decades seems to skew the facts against you, eh?
Wow I had no idea for the last 20 years we were one waiver claim away from winning the stanley cup

Old
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Wow I had no idea for the last 20 years we were one waiver claim away from winning the stanley cup
Your drivel makes no sense.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
Roulin

Quote:
Nah, replace Moen.

Dumont Bordeleau and White would be an effective shut down line that could/would kick some ass when needed.
"Shut down line," seriously? Maybe they could shut down the Orr line... other than that, they'd get lit up.

Dumont is an untested rookie. Bordeleau is proven to be a terrible influence on puck possession.

Last edited by Roulin: 03-15-2013 at 06:10 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 06:30 PM
ECWHSWI
P.K. is perfect.

Quote:
here's a fact you seems to have forgotten -> Bruins one in their last 40 or so years.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:36 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
here's a fact you seems to have forgotten -> Bruins one in their last 40 or so years.
Yes but the vital point is that that one is undeniable proof of the truth

Old
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
bud12

Quote:
Fine why don't you rank this team's toughness on a scale of 1-10. Then tell me where they would be after we get an enforcer. Please enlighten us.
I give them a 5 and its just because of Prust. Without Prust, its a 3. With a good heavyweight enforcer and Prust, I give them 7/10
But if you are in the building during a home game, its -5......

Old
03-15-2013, 07:03 PM
Sorinth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bud12 View Post
I give them a 5 and its just because of Prust. Without Prust, its a 3. With a good heavyweight enforcer and Prust, I give them 7/10
But if you are in the building during a home game, its -5......
That's hilarious out of a 23 man roster you can have 21 soft players, 2 tough players and you're a 7/10. Thanks for the laugh

Old
03-15-2013, 07:10 PM
bud12

Quote:
That's hilarious out of a 23 man roster you can have 21 soft players, 2 tough players and you're a 7/10. Thanks for the laugh
heavyweight
prust
moen
white

Last edited by overlords: 03-15-2013 at 07:12 PM. Reason: knock off the 'jabs'
Old
03-15-2013, 09:21 PM
blarneylad

Habs don't need a fighter. It wouldn't hurt though.

They need some defensemen that can clear the net, and bruise when needed. Erksine comes to mind. Souray if he was available. Or dare I say Ryan O'byrne?

a d-corps of
Markov - Erksine
Subban - Gorges
Emelin - Diaz/Bouillon

Not a cup contender, but an improved team

Old
03-15-2013, 10:50 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
Last Cup Boston -- 2011

Last Cup Montreal -- 1993

This pisses me off. And it still hasnt dawned on a lot of people that the reason the Bruins won that Cup is because they had a very good mix of talent and toughness.

We have had some talented teams. Not so much on the toughness.

The unbalanced approach is not working.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Brass

Quote:
Last Cup Boston -- 2011

This pisses me off. And it still hasnt dawned on a lot of people that the reason the Bruins won that Cup is because they had a very good mix of talent and toughness.

I Kinda understand your point , thing is NJD went to the SCfinal , with what Clarkson as their tough guy.. ?

Old
03-15-2013, 11:40 PM
SouthernHab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brass View Post
I Kinda understand your point , thing is NJD went to the SCfinal , with what Clarkson as their tough guy.. ?
However, the last Devils team that won a Cup had Turner Stevenson, Jim McKenzie and Mike Rupp on the roster.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:43 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Last Cup Boston -- 2011

You don't seem to be including Toronto's last cup in your calculations .

This is a bit facile, so until 2011 Montreal's approach was working and Boston's wasn't because Montreal had won a cup more recently, but now Boston's is working and Montreal's isn't?

And also because I doubt you can actually find anyone who disagrees that two things the Habs could actually use are a big defenseman or two to clear out the front of the net and a top six forward with a bit of a nasty streak. Both of which Boston clearly have. What Boston have not made a habit of carrying is a goon that can't skate a regular shift so to extrapolate from that that we should eagerly grasp at any scrub that happens to be on waivers that neither their own team nor 28 others actually want is clearly erroneous.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:09 AM
blarneylad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post

This is a bit facile, so until 2011 Montreal's approach was working and Boston's wasn't because Montreal had won a cup more recently, but now Boston's is working and Montreal's isn't?

And also because I doubt you can actually find anyone who disagrees that two things the Habs could actually use are a big defenseman or two to clear out the front of the net and a top six forward with a bit of a nasty streak. Both of which Boston clearly have. What Boston have not made a habit of carrying is a goon that can't skate a regular shift so to extrapolate from that that we should eagerly grasp at any scrub that happens to be on waivers that neither their own team nor 28 others actually want is clearly erroneous.
This should close the thread. well said

Old
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
SouthernHab

Quote:

I agree with you regarding the need to have a big tough winger added to the team, like Clowe.

Two big strong DMen as well.

Your Toronto mention is good comedy though.

Its like some fat nerd kid seeing Leonardo Dicaprio driving up in his Porsche and a supermodel gets out of the car.

So he buys a Porsche and wonders why he cant get any supermodels to go out with him.

It still takes talent. A Porsche helps though.

Toronto does not have the offensive talent to be mentioned, regardless of what tough guys they have on their team.

It takes balance and as much as you non-fighters disagree, yes, part of that balance is having someone BIG who will fight............as long as other teams in the League have big guys who are fighting.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:31 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
However, the last Devils team that won a Cup had Turner Stevenson, Jim McKenzie and Mike Rupp on the roster.
Of course they did- they had the man BIG TURNER STEVENSON. One if most underrated Habs player of all time.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:35 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
I agree with you regarding the need to have a big tough winger added to the team, like Clowe.

Two big strong DMen as well.

Your Toronto mention is good comedy though.

Its like some fat nerd kid seeing Leonardo Dicaprio driving up in his Porsche and a supermodel gets out of the car.

So he buys a Porsche and wonders why he cant get any supermodels to go out with him.

It still takes talent. A Porsche helps though.

Toronto does not have the offensive talent to be mentioned, regardless of what tough guys they have on their team.

It takes balance and as much as you non-fighters disagree, yes, part of that balance is having someone BIG who will fight............as long as other teams in the League have big guys who are fighting.
Hard to believe people here dont prefer one big bona fide enforcer over the likes of Moen, Armstrong, or white. The enforcer adds so much more. Why don't our pacifists brothers see the obvious?

Old
03-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Beatnik

Send a message via MSN to Beatnik
Quote:
Last Cup Boston -- 2011

We never had a team as talented as the 2011 Bruins since 1993.

Besides, the toughness in playoffs for the Bruins comes from Lucic and Chara. Guys who are not 4th liners goons that can't play hockey.

Many soft teams also won the Cup, so the unbalanced approach clearly can work. And teams with goons often bench them in the playoffs.

A goon would be fun, but to think it would make us closer to a Stanley cup does'nt make any sense.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:43 PM
Bieber fever

I want Bordeleau but only this summer . We dont need him for the playoff lol

Old
03-21-2013, 06:02 PM
Et le But

Good news for fighting fans, someone invented an advanced stat for fighting - the Punch Corsi!

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...advanced-stat/

Poor Prust.

Old
03-21-2013, 06:24 PM
andy28

Quote:

People advocating for a guy who can win a fight and a bit more toughness are not suggesting we should become the leafs. If we only pursued players who could fight without giving a thought to talent that would be stupid.

As for our approach and Boston's approach, I don't think anyone is saying we should approach the game the same way as the Bruins do. Having a little more toughness does not make us the Bruins. The Habs were always focused more on speed and skating. But we still had our Nilans and Odeleins. Acquiring an enforcer does not mean we are taking the Bruins and Leafs approach. A lot of teams have them.

Last edited by andy28: 03-21-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old
03-21-2013, 06:40 PM
TennisMenace

Quote:
Lol. I'm still angry the Habs did not put a claim in for Kassian.
The Sens were smarter- once they saw Neil roughed up they immediately added a bona fide HW to take up the slack. Man, I wish Habs were as astute.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
CN_paladin

Scott beat the crap out of McLaren tonight while Orr pussied out to fight Kaleta!

Needless to say, the Leafs didn't try to goon things up afterwards.

Old
03-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Hugo Sham

with all the trolls on the team - white, subban, dumont, gallagher etc...we need someone to play sheriff

Closed Thread