HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 02:10 PM
Rafters

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
I don't think I would.

The only thing they bring to a line-up is face-off ability and size.

Steckel has more of both.
Hall has been used as TBays top PK guy for the last few yrs....

Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 2642
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Other teams aren't going to willingly take a useless contract.

Toronto just debunked that theory for you. They were probably going to waive Steckel, but a team was willing to give them a 7th but in order for that to go through they had to take a no name prospect.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:15 PM
c4fn8d

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I don't understand how we had a capable player...You mean Eager who I could count on 1 hand how many games he played the way he should? He is mediocre at his role at best.
Yes, the very fact that 29 teams did not pick up Eager means there is something wrong. Attitude, injury, personal issues, who knows. Whatever it is, it is not intended to be public. He can play if he is motivated, but I only saw it in 2 games this year.

The role that Eager and now Brown plays is what we all see is lacking from the team. A player who hits, fights and most importantly, is a guy with enough speed that the coach can feel confident in putting him out there with for a shift or two with Hall, Hemsky, RNH or Eberle and not be worried about him keeping up with the puck.

Eager does not have that speed, Brown does.

Yes, I would love to have a cleaner (less dirty) version of Torres on this team. It is what this team needs. Perhaps Brown can become that with some coaching and time. Who knows.

If Eager did not respond to coaching and was given fair chance then that created a need for Tambo to fill, and he filled it. Lets move on.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:20 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I don't understand how we had a capable player...You mean Eager who I could count on 1 hand how many games he played the way he should? He is mediocre at his role at best.
Well I liked Eager before the trade when it comes to physicality, but that was one part maybe I didn't agree about. My point was our management traded a pick for a guy who's role was supposed to be filled by Hordichuk, who was a stupid signing in the offseason, a nice act of loyalty but not the right guy for the job. The team knows Eager has had a concussion history, they should have signed someone more reliable to tag team with him.

Another mistake=a lost draft pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Ryan View Post
marginal difference between waiting until they are waived (which you cannot be sure about). Also, I'm pretty sure there's bidding going on to maximize returns, and that probably means that other teams were offering something similar. Else, he would've just gone for a 7th.
I don't think Brown was necessarily shopped, but I don't know that. There are guys who have similar roles than Brown though who have passed waivers or were traded for much less. Brian McGrattan, Rich Clune, Matt Kassian, Cam Janssen etc.

I called for picking up Frazer McLaren off waivers on here, and sure enough, the Leafs grab him for free and then trade us Brown for an asset when they believed McLaren was better than him. We could have just grabbed Frazer for free.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:23 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Well I liked Eager before the trade when it comes to physicality, but that was one part maybe I didn't agree about. My point was our management traded a pick for a guy who's role was supposed to be filled by Hordichuk, who was a stupid signing in the offseason, a nice act of loyalty but not the right guy for the job. The team knows Eager has had a concussion history, they should have signed someone more reliable to tag team with him.

Another mistake=a lost draft pick

I don't think Brown was necessarily shopped, but I don't know that. There are guys who have similar roles than Brown though who have passed waivers or were traded for much less. Brian McGrattan, Rich Clune, Matt Kassian, Cam Janssen etc.

I called for picking up Frazer McLaren off waivers on here, and sure enough, the Leafs grab him for free and then trade us Brown for an asset when they believed McLaren was better than him. We could have just grabbed Frazer for free.
None of the guys are similar. There is a difference between a super heavyweight and a guy that can play 10 minutes a night. Picking up McGrattan or Janssen for that matter would've just been another mistake.

Also Mclaren didn't make Brown expendable it was Komorov.

As for signing someone when you knew Eager had issues, what is the point? Just so you have to waive one anyways. No point using up that oh so valuable roster spots because you are giving tryouts for a 4th line energy guy.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:30 PM
rockinghockey

Brown brings more to this team then Eager has. Brown plays physical, hits and is also good on the PK. This is the typ of person you want on th 4th line. Plus Brown has another year only at 725k.

What will happen with Eager in the off season. The two buyouts we get are only for 3mil or more so do they buy him out and count it against the cap. I would just keep him in the minors for next year. Maybe Eager realizes that he has to get his sh-t together and comes back and plays the perfect 4-3rd liner.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:57 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Toronto just debunked that theory for you. They were probably going to waive Steckel, but a team was willing to give them a 7th but in order for that to go through they had to take a no name prospect.
um

yeah....

do you not see how that is a contract swap...not unloading a contract.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:05 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
um

yeah....

do you not see how that is a contract swap...not unloading a contract.
But if we were looking to add someone to our team such as Steckel and we were at 50 contracts, then not only do we give them the pick but we throw in a useless contract.

Odds are if there is a deal to be made roster space isn't going to be an issue, as you can do what ANA did and throw a guy in.

I'm not talking about us straight out unloading a contract. Why would we need to?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Adam Hall cannot be claimed, otherwise everyone will have to buy T.HALL jerseys..

Last edited by Not Robin Brownlee: 03-15-2013 at 03:48 PM. Reason: spellin' and grammar
Old
03-15-2013, 03:43 PM
T-Funk

But I was looking forward to being the D-Bag who calls every player by their first name.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Funk View Post
But I was looking forward to being the D-Bag who calls every player by their first name.
better than nick names, those are for teammates not fanboys.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
joestevens29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
Adam Hall cannot be claimed, otherwise everyone will have to by T.HALL jerseys..
That's the exact reason you pick him up, more jersey sales.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 50
Quote:
better than nick names, those are for teammates not fanboys.

Shuller!

Old
03-15-2013, 04:18 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
None of the guys are similar. There is a difference between a super heavyweight and a guy that can play 10 minutes a night. Picking up McGrattan or Janssen for that matter would've just been another mistake.

Also Mclaren didn't make Brown expendable it was Komorov.

As for signing someone when you knew Eager had issues, what is the point? Just so you have to waive one anyways. No point using up that oh so valuable roster spots because you are giving tryouts for a 4th line energy guy.
Fun fact: Mike Brown was clocking around 4 minutes a night in Toronto this year. I'm not a believer that he plays 10 minutes a night on a good team. Komarov is a better player than Brown and doesn't fight, McLaren also hits and it was his better play and bigger body that booted Brown out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
Brown brings more to this team then Eager has. Brown plays physical, hits and is also good on the PK. This is the typ of person you want on th 4th line. Plus Brown has another year only at 725k.
Playing physical and hitting are almost the same thing, and Eager did the same thing as that. His advanced stats on the PK in Toronto were awful. The only thing separating Eager and Brown is fighting, because Eager wouldn't fight anymore.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:29 PM
SephF
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Adam Hall cannot be claimed, otherwise everyone will have to buy T.HALL jerseys..
Naw it would be just like the Schultz'

Nick goes by just Schultz and Justin goes with J.Schultz

With the Hall's Taylor would just keep Hall and Adam would use A.Hall

Old
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
T-Funk

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

"What an A.Hall that guy is"

Dangerous jersey my friend

Old
03-15-2013, 04:34 PM
Not Robin Brownlee
The docile tones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SephF View Post

ya, I was being facetious.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:41 PM
SchultzSquared*

Quote:
Fun fact: Mike Brown was clocking around 4 minutes a night in Toronto this year. I'm not a believer that he plays 10 minutes a night on a good team.
Except he played eight minutes a night on the 2009 Ducks during the regular season... and 8 and a half in the playoffs... so unless your definition of a not good team is one with Niedermayer Pronger Getzlaf Perry Ryan and Selanne you would be mistaken...

Old
03-15-2013, 05:51 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Playing physical and hitting are almost the same thing, and Eager did the same thing as that. His advanced stats on the PK in Toronto were awful. The only thing separating Eager and Brown is fighting, because Eager wouldn't fight anymore.
No, the difference between Eager and Brown is that Brown brings it every night, Eager doesn't. It's as simple as that.

Also, Brown not only accepts his role but he embraces it. Eager seemed to have a problem accepting his role. Brown is more of a professional and that holds a lot of weight with coaches and i'm sure his teammates also.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
The only thing separating Eager and Brown is fighting, because Eager wouldn't fight anymore.
Brown has done more in his few games with us so far than Eager did all year.

Brown understands his role as a 4th line guy, while Eager never embraced it, nor did he ever show reason to have him playing higher in the lineup.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:55 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post
No, the difference between Eager and Brown is that Brown brings it every night, Eager doesn't. It's as simple as that.
Also, Brown not only accepts his role but he embraces it. Eager seemed to have a problem accepting his role. Brown is more of a professional.
That and Brown has a good attitude whereas Eager....not so much. Although concussions can affect people adversely that way, not sure how he was before.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:58 PM
McCanovin
Oil Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by CupofOil View Post

Also, Brown not only accepts his role but he embraces it. Eager seemed to have a problem accepting his role. Brown is more of a professional and that holds a lot of weight with coaches and i'm sure his teammates also.
If you were one punch away from retirement, you wouldn't either. I thought Eager was playing quite lately aside from fighting.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:01 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
If you were one punch away from retirement, you wouldn't either. I thought Eager was playing quite lately aside from fighting.
No one is faulting him for that, but the fact remains, he didn't play the style of game that was expected of him. In terms of his value to the team, the "why" isn't relevant.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:02 PM
McCupofOil
Bob The Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by canovin View Post
Understandable and i smypathize with his situation but fair or not, if he can't do his job anymore then he's going to lose his job to somebody who can.

He was playing better this season but i noticed a big let down in his effort level on the road trip and i think it cost him.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:09 PM
Oil In My Veins

Didn't see this posted anywhere

‏@mirtle
Sabres get fifth-round pick in 2013 from Panthers for defenceman TJ Brennan.

Closed Thread