HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo Re-Assigns Mikhail Grigorenko to QMJHL

Old
03-15-2013, 03:19 PM
Djp

vCash: 500
Buffalo Re-Assigns Mikhail Grigorenko to QMJHL

I am posting it here because i veiw this as more of a player transaction page...

TBNs Vogl is reporting the sabres have talked to Patrick Roy about the possibility of sending Grigerenko to the Ramparts.

they have i believe only 2 games left plus their playoff run.

after their playoffs are over....I believe--not certain given the new CBA--Grigorenko could return and play for the Sabres. IS THIS CORRECT?

With Leino ready to be activted, Buffalo needs to make a player move.

the other options are trading a player for picks or they could send a player to the AHL --Buffalo has only 2 players who could do that....neither deserves the demotion given their recent play.

Last edited by caley: 03-15-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
MayDayMayDay

How does that work exactly?? There's no waiver risk or anything??

MayDayMayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:30 PM
Hotlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJames217 View Post
How does that work exactly?? There's no waiver risk or anything??
Only problem is that it will eat up a year of his ELC I believe. The next month or so might get stressful for Buffalo, no sense having the kid up there while the team adjusts to a new coach and trades are bound to happen.

Hotlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Moskau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
Only problem is that it will eat up a year of his ELC I believe.
It's not like they didn't get use out of it. It's not a huge deal in the grand scheme of things.

Grigs is a great prospect but he got way too much praise from coaches and players for his play in "training camp". Funny enough his biggest supporter in Ville Leino may be one of the reasons Mikhail gets sent back down.

Moskau is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:40 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

And Grigerenko is sent back to Quebec

thefifagod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 04:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotlanta View Post
Only problem is that it will eat up a year of his ELC I believe. The next month or so might get stressful for Buffalo, no sense having the kid up there while the team adjusts to a new coach and trades are bound to happen.
He already has eaten a year by playing games...

The issue I have is can he come back to play in early april after the trading deadline when his junior club has been eliminated from the playoffs.

the one thing he can get with the pros that he cant really get at JRs is the strength and conditioning training.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:54 PM
tsujimoto74

What on earth is Buffalo doing with this kid? Keep him up, and give him no chances to succeed whatsoever (scratched half the time, playing 5 minutes next to John freaking Scott and Pat Kaleta the other half), and then send him back down... If you weren't going to let him play, what was the point of keeping him up in the first place? I figured it was to ave him working with Buffalo's coaching staff, particularly on skating and strength/conditioning, but if that was the case, then why send him down?

Anyway...Welcome back, Ville Leino.

tsujimoto74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:00 PM
caley

It really does smack of mismanagement. It would be one thing if the Sabres were beset by injuries at the start of the season and needed Grigorenko to fill in on for the top 6. But to burn the first year off his ELC so that he can play on the 4th line or sit in the pressbox is just bad management. I mean, if New Jersey is to assign Stefan Matteau to juniors now, you can make the excuse that he was there because of injuries (Henrique) and he only became redundant because of other players being acquired (Ponikarovsky, Kostopoulos), it's not a great thing but it's not inexcusable. But with Grigorenko there was really no reason, especially when guys who are playing decent for them now (Flynn and Porter) were available to start the season but weren't given a shot.

03-15-2013, 05:18 PM
CN_paladin

In before the Galchenyuk > Grigorenko posts...

CN_paladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Timbo Slice
Tank Nation

Meh. Kid just wasn't ready. Not sure why he was kept up to begin with. Glad he got the experience, and hope he tears it up in the Q and gets his confidence back.

Timbo Slice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
Coconut Head
Save us, Mark Pysyk!

Thank you. At least Darcy and the rest of the management can recognize their errors

Coconut Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM
lifeisruff

I'm not so angry that he was demoted, I'm angry that it came to this..

lifeisruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
It really does smack of mismanagement. It would be one thing if the Sabres were beset by injuries at the start of the season and needed Grigorenko to fill in on for the top 6. But to burn the first year off his ELC so that he can play on the 4th line or sit in the pressbox is just bad management. I mean, if New Jersey is to assign Stefan Matteau to juniors now, you can make the excuse that he was there because of injuries (Henrique) and he only became redundant because of other players being acquired (Ponikarovsky, Kostopoulos), it's not a great thing but it's not inexcusable. But with Grigorenko there was really no reason, especially when guys who are playing decent for them now (Flynn and Porter) were available to start the season but weren't given a shot.
The original plan at the start of the season was to play him on a 3rd line with Ott and Leino. The thought was he would play the first two periods and then depending how the game was going they would then shift Hecht there for defensive reasons late in the game.

then Leino was hurt before the season starts and the rest of Buffalo's team didnt give him an offensive playmate that Leino could potentially be. Gerbe was also hurt to start the year. What was left for linemates were Hecht, Kaleta, Scott, and McCormick....ohh the offensive skills.

This is where I dislike the JR/AHL rules where20 yrs old is the cut off. A team should be able to decide where he could go to. Give teams 1-2 waivers per club to allow an 18 or 19 yr old to play in the AHL. Other option---first and second round picks can play in the AHL.

He pretty much mastered the Quebec league. It would have been great if they could have had him play at the AHL level.

That is something that is better about europe. Buffalo has Armia over in Finaland playing in the elite league until next season when he comes over. The elite leagues in Sweden and finalnd are much closer to NHL level speed/competition

Old
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
jameswrjobe53

Good job Buffalo! Way to not be the Islanders about it!

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:58 PM
drinking bleach irl
don't be so serious

vCash: 436
Even though the ELC year is burned, the FA status is unaffected. Pegula at worst loses a bit of change.

drinking bleach irl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Why wouldn't they send him to the AHL?

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:27 PM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
He's not eligible to go to the AHL.

Corncob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:33 PM
Ron C.
HFBoards Sponsor

It's the right move. I agreed with the decision to keep him up at the beginning of the season. I'll admit, that decision was wrong. Grigs is only 18 years old, the age of many high school seniors, he would benefit from playing well in the Q and returning for 2013-14. We just lost a year of eligibility on the ELC.

Ron C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timbo Slice View Post
Meh. Kid just wasn't ready. Not sure why he was kept up to begin with. Glad he got the experience, and hope he tears it up in the Q and gets his confidence back.
Precisely this, I couldn't agree more. Was a dumb move in the first place keeping him here after the six games. Stupid actually. You could see right off the bat in that small sample size that he just wasn't ready. That and he's been getting minimal minutes in the bottom-six with linemates like John Scott and Jochen Hecht and sometimes scratched, both of which do nothing but hurt the situation. He should have either saw time in the top-six or with better linemates or should have been sent back to dominate the QMJHL another year and come back into camp in the summer and try again. Idiotic move by our management from day one. He just didn't show enough that he was worthy of an NHL roster spot at this point.

At least we're correcting the problem sooner than later. I don't want to go down the road the Islanders went down with Niederreiter or the Lightning with Connolly to a lesser extent. I'd have hated to keep him up here all year long the way it was going and to make it worse, in a toxic and losing environment that is unhealthy for a young player. I don't want to ruin him and so far, I think that's the road it was heading. The way Ruff was using him hasn't changed under Rolston and that's not the way a prospect of his caliber and type should grow. He'll do good with a lot of playing time back in junior and could come in better than before in the summer. Smart move to get him out of this losing locker room and to let him go where he can play and continue to learn and grow, despite him not having much left to learn down there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayP812 View Post
Not eligible since he's a CHL player. It's either NHL or back to junior for him for now. For details about AHL eligibility, check out the sticky on the AHL board. Pretty nice information but it's a lot to post here so I'll let you check it for yourself if you're interested.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:38 PM
Kershaw

I remember I was blasted for saying Yak and Galchenyuk were better during the WJC.Still not sold on the kid and he's not a draft steal yet despite what HF will want to claim. But this is the right move for him and the Sabres.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:59 PM
CaptPantalones

Good thing is they dont lose the year of the contract under a loophole in the CBA. Plus hes eligible to go to Rochester after their eliminated

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:02 PM
wej20

Don't think Buffalo have handled Grigorenko or Girgensons that well, how has Girgensons looked in the 2nd half of the season?

wej20 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:08 PM
Bieber fever

He shouldn't have played more then 9 games

Bieber fever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:17 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
I remember I was blasted for saying Yak and Galchenyuk were better during the WJC.Still not sold on the kid and he's not a draft steal yet despite what HF will want to claim. But this is the right move for him and the Sabres.
What relevance does Grigorenko being sent down have to do on his performance in the WJC?

I guess you were right despite everyone else having different opinions?

Stop Winnin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:19 PM
CaptPantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by wej20 View Post
Don't think Buffalo have handled Grigorenko or Girgensons that well, how has Girgensons looked in the 2nd half of the season?
Girgensons has been fine, but missed a few games with a wicked concussion

CaptPantalones is offline   Reply With Quote