HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Pirates of the Allegheny: Raise the Jolly Roger - Travis Snider Doin' It Right

Closed Thread

Old
03-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Illinest

vCash: 500
In case anyone still likes Jose Tabata there's been quite a few people posting positive reports about his hustle and the shape he's in.

I wasn't all that fond of him even in 2011 but I wouldn't turn my nose up if he finds a way to get on base more than .350 or so.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
PensFan68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinest View Post
In case anyone still likes Jose Tabata there's been quite a few people posting positive reports about his hustle and the shape he's in.

I wasn't all that fond of him even in 2011 but I wouldn't turn my nose up if he finds a way to get on base more than .350 or so.
I thought I read he lost weight since last year? I'm sure he still has no hustle though.

Old
03-07-2013, 12:04 AM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
I'd normally sign up for this sort of thing, but I haven't followed baseball in a couple of years. I have no clue who the good players are anymore.

Old
03-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

vCash: 422
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan68 View Post
I thought I read he lost weight since last year? I'm sure he still has no hustle though.
Seems the guy finally has a candle on his ass.

The sample size is way too small and I give very little credence to Spring Training numbers...but I do give credence to practice reports - especially those that tell of a 'lazy' player spending an off-season working his ass off showing dividends. Last year could have, and should have, been an eye-opener for the guy.

His role this year probably doesn't change too much, but he could find his way into the line-up more often than not, despite not technically being the starter at any of the outfield positions. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Tabata is in the everyday line-up come June instead of Snider. I still hold hope for Snider...but I'm not willing to go all-in on him. I'm very happy that we still have Tabata in the fold when we have two unknowns on the corners.

As much as I really want to complain about that Tabata contract...it was for such a reasonable price that it really is hard to do so. In year #7 he'll be making low-end starter money...but...yeah...I think that's an apt description of Tabata as it stands.

“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif
Old
03-07-2013, 02:21 PM
DJ Spinoza

I still have some hope for Tabata, who if memory serves had some very good stretches of getting on base the year before last. However, I also hold out more hope for Snider, simply because his ceiling is a bit higher and fills a role that would be more useful than a leadoff hitter. I think Marte's ceiling is obviously higher than both of them, so I hope he is getting regular at-bats. In an ideal world, Tabata will be a complimentary 4th OF who can fill in where needed and still provide a decent bat at the top of the order. As a fall back in case of injury or underperformance, we could do worse for the third outfielder. I don't totally buy in to the laziness charges; there's something to it, but I think it was more a conditioning and performance issue before it was an effort one.

Join our fantasy league, yinz jaggos!

Old
03-07-2013, 02:45 PM
PensFan68

I know Tabata was disappointing, but I'm fine with having him. As mentioned, he's a good 3/4 OF'er. Would rather Snider get the nod just for his power potential, but Tabata may give him a run.

Old
03-08-2013, 04:24 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

For anyone interested in catching a Spring Training game - tonight's game against the Orioles will be televised on Root and available to watch via MLB.tv.

Old
03-08-2013, 05:33 PM
PensFan68

I'll be watching. Sands is playing in RF, curious to see him in action.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Darth Vitale
Lesshaus > Morehaus

Mr JiggyFly I have good news!

The Pirates are not the Cubs.

Old
03-10-2013, 01:06 PM
wheelz87
Pens Predictor CHAMP

Isn't Taillon starting today vs USA in the WBC?

Old
03-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz87 View Post
Isn't Taillon starting today vs USA in the WBC?
yes right now on mlb network

Old
03-10-2013, 03:50 PM
bradshaw06

great inning for taillon, Ks Rollins and Braun.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:02 PM
AK

2014 needs to get here already.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:53 PM
Get To Our Game
HFBoards Sponsor

I didn't get to see it, but according to John Dreker, Taillon looked good. Can anyone who watched him confirm? Wish I would have gotten to see those curves to Braun.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:24 PM
Gooch

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Rejean We Trust View Post
I didn't get to see it, but according to John Dreker, Taillon looked good. Can anyone who watched him confirm? Wish I would have gotten to see those curves to Braun.
He looked good, consistently throwing around 95-96ish. His curve was a long looping one with a lot of 12/6 movement to it and he seems to be really comfortable throwing it in fastball counts. At this point though I really just saw him throw fastballs and curves and not too much else and was seemingly predictable with a first pitch fastball which is what Braun used for his first hit.

From the stretch he seemed to have a rather long delivery which allowed Braun to steal 2nd with a little too much ease. I believe though I read on Pirates Prospects that they're finally working on having the pitchers pay a little attention to the runners.

I don't know if it was camera angle or what but I didnt see much movement on his fastballs. I couldve sworn he threw a 2 seamer that had good movement but I didnt really see it.

All in all though I was pretty impressed with him and glad to take the opportunity to finally get to watch him pitch in a format that didnt involve a really grainy video via youtube.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:17 PM
Illinest

I love Starling Marte. I think there's a chance that he'll really break out. A lot of people have rightfully pointed to his bad K rate and BB rate but perhaps too much has been made of it?
I was able to come up with a number of big name players who had similar K and BB rates. I won't try to draw any direct comparisons but I do think that he has been talked down too much.

The predictions on Fangraphs range from as low as .269/.311/.428 (Zips) to as high as .297/.336/.479 (Bill James)
His preseason - not that I put much weight on preseason stats mind you - .375/.423/.542 (.965 OPS) but that doesn't include todays 2/3 with a triple.
Oh and he's also speedy, good with the glove and he's got a good arm.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:38 AM
Solution

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...2013-mlb-draft

Mark Appel is ranked by Law as the top prospect in the draft. However, I thought he was the top last year as well but dropped to the Pirates at 8 for some reason. (Signability perhaps?)

Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 AM
SteelFish87*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solushun View Post

Mark Appel is ranked by Law as the top prospect in the draft. However, I thought he was the top last year as well but dropped to the Pirates at 8 for some reason. (Signability perhaps?)
everyone knew his jerk agent would make it difficult to sign him

Old
03-15-2013, 11:52 AM
Doug Exeter

Quote:

Scott Boras is his "advisor" and he was "advised" to not sign for the slotted amount of not only the top pick, but the 8th pick, where the Pirates selected him.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:29 PM
Chicago Made Punk
You're Gonna Go Far

vCash: 446
Looking forward to the season!

Old
03-15-2013, 07:20 PM
DJ Spinoza

Gerrit Cole is starting tomorrow's game at 1:05, and the broadcast is going to be shown on the Pirates website.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

Quote:

It's a weak draft on the top (again), so it's no surprise that a guy who could step right into the Majors if a team so wanted (I am extremely against rushing prospects...but Appel probably would be Major League-ready by June of next year under any circumstance...the questions about Appel are more about his ceiling than his floor).

I just hope something happens that causes his stock to fall. If he pulls that **** again this year then he's in Matt Harrington territory. He was full in his right to do what he did...and I'm full in my right to despise him for it.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:15 PM
Illinest

I forget exactly what it was that set me off but i was pissed because he has one of those tebow quality twitter streams where he's always praising the lord and being #blessed and i took it to mean that he couldnt possibly be such a ****** as to risk the however many millions the pirates were offering on the chance that he might make a few more the following year. Im pretty sure i tweeted something after he decided not to sign - something like "how much humility he must possess to turn down 3 million dollars" or something like that.
To be clear - i dont have anything against christians. Hypocrite christians otoh.... I mean i'm sure it was "god's plan" that you had to turn down a contract this year. Surely had nothing to do with the fact that you didn't do enough to distinguish yourself enough, hired a known money-wrangler of an agent and watched 7 other teams choose someone else.

I do not like the guy. I hope he has a slump and drops to 9th pick or lower this year. Gods plan, right? Jerk.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
Ogrezilla
Nerf Herder

I have a feeling its going to be much harder for me to be a Pirates fan in Charleston SC.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:29 PM
Big McLargehuge
Buff Drinklots

I'd respect Appel a million times more if he'd just said "I feel like I'm worth more money than the Pirates have offered and I'm excited to return to Stanford for my senior year to prove that."

Instead he said something about the Pirates not being God's plan for him...which is just...infuriating and insulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogrezilla View Post
I have a feeling its going to be much harder for me to be a Pirates fan in Charleston SC.
Why's that?

Closed Thread