HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must use the RUMOR prefix in thread title. Proposals must contain the PROPOSAL prefix in the thread title.

Canes, Leafs, Habs, Flyers and Wings all interested in Dustin Byfuglien

Old
03-15-2013, 01:55 PM
Flair Hay

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
I clearly understand what happened. You obviously don't though. It was basically claimed that "I watch Byfuglien every game so I'm a better judge than you." That's just great when it comes to evaluating Byfuglien by himself, but when you're comparing him to another player? If you're claiming I "Dont watch Byfuglien every game so I don't know", I'm safely assuming you don't watch Letang every game and don't know, making you just as incapable of COMPARING as me.

I wasnt the one who set up the "I know more than you on such and such so you can't compare," he was. I simply took his argument and turned it on its side because its reasonable to assume that he has failed to do the same for Letang. So by his logic, neither is he.

It's not rocket science.
What argument were you making again?

Flair Hay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:06 PM
jpchabby
Drive for 25

vCash: 500
There are probably 20 teams interested in a guy like Byfuglien right now in the NHL.

And the habs shouldn't be one of those.

So I don't know how Eklund would come up with this kind of idea... The habs are very well equipped at D, what they need is a good forward...

jpchabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:35 PM
BigTuna49
#WPGWHITEOUT

vCash: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Letang is pretty awesome offensively in his own right but comparing him and Buff is pretty apples and oranges. It's tough to compare Buff to anyone TBH he's unique in good and bad ways.

Letang to me is more comparable to Enstrom in the way he plays. Just bigger, faster and stronger.

I dont think there's reason to hate on either of these guys...

For what it's worth:

Buff > Letang for the Jets
Letang > Buff for the Pens
Letang > Buff for the Wings

Is that fair?
Enstrom and Letang are not comparable at all. Enstrom plays a positional game and with his head. Letang uses his skating to make up for any mistakes, plays a physical game, but cannot really QB a PP like Enstrom can. Letang is much more aggressive offensively then Enstrom.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:38 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Enstrom and Letang are not comparable at all. Enstrom plays a positional game and with his head. Letang uses his skating to make up for any mistakes, plays a physical game, but cannot really QB a PP like Enstrom can. Letang is much more aggressive offensively then Enstrom.
I've always thought that Enstrom's best comparable in the league is a younger Timonen.

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:26 PM
jets94*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Did someone just ask for both the Schenn brothers? No thank you, Philly's out at that price.
I'm sorry, but is this forum all role-play? Are you the Flyer's GM? Obviously you don't control who Philly trades for as only a fan. If it is in fact accepted as role-play, then my apologies, carry on with the make belief offers and hypothetical trades.

jets94* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets94 View Post
I'm sorry, but is this forum all role-play? Are you the Flyer's GM? Obviously you don't control who Philly trades for as only a fan. If it is in fact accepted as role-play, then my apologies, carry on with the make belief offers and hypothetical trades.
One of the better first posts on record.

Really, you're on a message board in a "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" forum. What were you expecting?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:31 PM
jets94*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
One of the better first posts on record.

Really, you're on a message board in a "Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk" forum. What were you expecting?
Well I came here to hear rumours about trades from credible sources, and signings, but instead I got people pretending they are the GMs of their favorite teams! It's NHL roleplay!

jets94* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:37 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jets94 View Post
Well I came here to hear rumours about trades from credible sources, and signings, but instead I got people pretending they are the GMs of their favorite teams! It's NHL roleplay!
Well, I wouldn't say it is "role-play," but yes, posters do tend to comment from the perspective of their sense of their team's interest and needs.

In other words, I, as a Flyers fan, would not want the team to give up either Schenn, let alone both, for Byfuglien (if that was the question). That doesn't mean that I think I have any particular influence on what the GM would do. It just means that I, as a fan, would be somewhere between disappointed and incredulous if the team executed that trade.

Anyway, if you're looking for "legit" rumors, then you might want to direct your attention to threads that have a "prefix" attached to a recognized source--e.g., Dreger, Bobby Mac, etc. If it says "Rumor," then you can check the OP to see what the source is.

Anything with "Value of" or "Proposal" is likely to be poster-generated speculation.

"Eklund" is a category onto himself. There are threads that have described in some depth his credibility / usefulness, but suffice to say that he's probably not the kind of source you are looking for. (He basically tends to report what he hears from his sources, all of whom are unnamed, so take it for what you think it is worth).

Old
03-15-2013, 04:13 PM
Romang67
BitterSwede

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsfan2965 View Post
41/52 = .824
53/66 = .803
Might wanna add that Letang had 41 points on a team that scored 282 goals, making him involved in ~14.5% of the team's goals. Meanwhile, Buff had 53 points on a team that had 225 goals, being directly involved in ~23.6% of the team's goals. Just looking at PPG instead of looking at the team surrounding the players might make you look biased in the discussion. In fact, lets take that over a full season, Letang would have had another 25 points, making him directly involved in 67/307 goals scored that year, or roughly 22%. Buff would, over a full season, have had another 12 points, making him directly involved in 65/237 goals, or ~27.4%.

Let's not ignore the fact that Letang is playing behind Crosby and Malkin. Remember what happened to his points, and overall play, when Malkin and Crosby went down 2 years ago? 34 games without Malkin and Crosby, a stunning... 10 points. On pace for 24 over a full season. I would like to see what he could do on Winnipeg, where he wouldn't play with 2 of the top players in the world, and a 40 goal scorer.

But sure, go ahead and think that there is a single team in this league that would say no if they had the chance to get Big Buff, that doesn't show how little you know of his game at all.

Last edited by Romang67: 03-15-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Romang67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:24 PM
Wingsfan2965*

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
What argument were you making again?
Letang over Byfuglien offensively.

Wingsfan2965* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:53 PM
cneely

Jesus. Does no one watch the Jets?

Buff is being ridiculously underrated here. He's much better than Letang.

cneely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Okay here's my offer from the Wings for big Buff, a couple of assumptions first of all.

1. Winnipeg falls out of the race somehow

2. The wings resign Fillpula/Brunner

3. The wings are safely in the playoffs

To

Dustin Byfuglien

To

Xavier Ouellet
Tomas Jurco
Kyle Quincey/Jakub Kindl
2013 2nd round pick

My reasoning:

For Wing fans; we resign 2 top 6 wingers more wingers in the system, I personally feel like Tatar is the best looking winger for the future (that and I have a man crush on him). Byfuglien is the missing piece on our PP, he would easily command the respect of all pkers and would open up a ton of room for Kronwall and others, it'd also take Brunner of the point.

For Winnipeg fans; you're getting 2 of the wings top 5 prospects, 1 which has top hands in the wings system, has 30-30 potential and has been called a Hossa lite by Jim Nill. You're also getting Ouellet who has top 4 potential, and may even have an outside chance at being a good #2 or weak #1 defender depending on how his offense transfers to the pro game. You also get your choice of #4 dmen coming back

I can understand if it's not enough, and I could see possibly adding one of Tatar/Nyquist to the deal, if Jurco continues scoring. Anyways don't flame me too badly.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:16 PM
Hush

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Jesus. Does no one watch the Jets?

Buff is being ridiculously underrated here. He's much better than Letang.
This. Also the above proposal from Detroit is a stupid mortgage of resources and is insultingly bad for Winterpeg. Cmon now DatsyuktoZetterberg, don't do them dirty!

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:23 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hush View Post
This. Also the above proposal from Detroit is a stupid mortgage of resources and is insultingly bad for Winterpeg. Cmon now DatsyuktoZetterberg, don't do them dirty!
Gonna disagree, I haven't seen any other offers like that, and if you read what I added in at the end I could see Nyquist/Tatar being added.

Ouellet is an expendable piece if it mean acquiring someone like Buff. We have Bachman coming up who Hakan feels has a good chance to become an Edler type dman, we also have 2 guys ahead of him on the leftside so he is movable. Jurco is not a bad prospect, he's a very good one at that, he's been playing 3rd line minutes with little to no PP time. I can understand if you wouldn't want to do it but it's not "Insultingly bad".

The point of having youth is either to integrate it into the team at hand or move them for pieces that will help you in the long term.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:31 PM
GoldenJet89

Jets GM Chevyldayoff on tsn radio this afternoon said he had not been approached by the wings or flyers, and was not interested in trading away byfuglien.

GoldenJet89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Hush

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Gonna disagree, I haven't seen any other offers like that, and if you read what I added in at the end I could see Nyquist/Tatar being added.

Ouellet is an expendable piece if it mean acquiring someone like Buff. We have Bachman coming up who Hakan feels has a good chance to become an Edler type dman, we also have 2 guys ahead of him on the leftside so he is movable. Jurco is not a bad prospect, he's a very good one at that, he's been playing 3rd line minutes with little to no PP time. I can understand if you wouldn't want to do it but it's not "Insultingly bad".

The point of having youth is either to integrate it into the team at hand or move them for pieces that will help you in the long term.
I was just jokingly "flaming" you in anticipation of the chorus of "no"s you will receive. You've got a point about Oullet/Buff, but I don't see the full value there for Winnipeg. If they are dropping their top talent, Detroit is going to have to pay a hefty price for it. Ouellet+Jarnkrok/Tatar/Andersson+Jurco is a good start, but I imagine the Jets will need to balance it out with something too, so it's not a 4 or 5 for 1 deal.

Hush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:52 PM
Thesaurus
Lyrical Wordsmith

Don't post much or ever but I have to chime in on how ridiculous this thread is. If any of you people had actually watched Buff play you would value you him as highly as Jets fans do. He's a premiere player in this league and if he was in a larger market he would be treated as so. Just because your Sportscentre highlight package doesn't have a feature on him night in and night out doesn't mean he's not an elite player. Tons of guys in this league who get no credit or nowhere near the credit they deserve. There's not a defenseman in the league who has his skill set and can what he does on a nightly basis. Boggles my mind how people think they're all analysts who know everything based on a stat line when they've literally seen 1% of his shifts.

Thesaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:56 PM
7even
Go on, do your duty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanahue View Post
Unless it's a massive overpayment, it isn't happening. Buff is one of the top fan favorites, and it one of the top D men in the league....that's right....I said it!

He doesn't get anywhere near the respect that he deserves. He is a beast on offense and his defense is leaps and bounds better what it was last year.

He hits
His positioning has improved 10 fold
He has great hockey sense
His offensive game is second only to Karlsson

But all that apparently gets pushed aside because he's a bigger fellow.

If he keeps playing the way he is, I would certainly put him in the top 15 to top 20 D men in the league.

If he can keep that consistency into next year, he only moves up the list.
I think one Mr. Kris Letang would take exception to that.

7even is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:58 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Mr. Kris Letang would be wrong.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
It's already been discussed above. I think it's a race to #2. Buff doesn't have the pleasure of passing it up to the #1 and #2 players in the league.

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:05 PM
Seanahue

vCash: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenJet89 View Post
Jets GM Chevyldayoff on tsn radio this afternoon said he had not been approached by the wings or flyers, and was not interested in trading away byfuglien.
Damn right!

Seanahue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:27 PM
nyhabsfan
Waiting for #25.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneely View Post
Mr. Kris Letang would be wrong.
big Buff is not even better than Subban.... Holy cow...what Jets games are you watching?

He makes a lot of defensive zone mistakes, his first step is a little faster than my dad's 84 Buick... Would I like him on the Habs ... Of course, but an elite Dman... Not close.

nyhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:32 PM
cneely

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
big Buff is not even better than Subban.... Holy cow...what Jets games are you watching?

He makes a lot of defensive zone mistakes, his first step is a little faster than my dad's 84 Buick... Would I like him on the Habs ... Of course, but an elite Dman... Not close.
He makes some mistakes, no doubt about that, because he takes chances. You take the good with the bad. Buff is a better player than Subban right now, but I expect that will change over the next year or two. Letang is one of the most overrated players in the league.

Slow????

This is what Buff does on a semi regular basis:

You'll notice from a dead stop behind his own net, he easily pulls away from Henrique. He's a lot of things. Slow is not one of them.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:41 PM
mcsauer2738

what would be the price from the rangers? Del Zotto JT Miller?

mcsauer2738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:45 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyhabsfan View Post
He makes a lot of defensive zone mistakes, his first step is a little faster than my dad's 84 Buick...
True or false, you're assessment of Byfuglien's speed is based on NHL 13?

I've never thought he was a particularly good skater, in the sense of agility, turning, etc., but he's not Nik Grossmann either.