Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2012-13 Prospect Updates

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 07:08 PM
BigG44

vCash: 500
New Hampshire is going to have nightmares about Maine. UNH was in position to win the HE regular season. They sit 3rd now, and 4th, 5th, and 6th have games in hand. BC and BU are winning their games right now in the 2nd period. If those results hold, UNH would drop to 5th and lose a home playoff series in the quarterfinals. Merrimack at 6th is losing right now, but a win would tie them with UNH. Not sure who has the tie breaker.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:02 PM
BigG44

Brett Ritchie just scored his 40th goal of the year in the first period of Niagara's game. He's 15th in league scoring.

EDIT: Missed this, but Stransky scored his 40th goal of the year on Tuesday of this week. Over the weekend, he picked up several assists to give him career highs in goals, assists, and points.

Last edited by BigG44: 03-10-2013 at 02:31 PM.
Old
03-10-2013, 02:09 PM
BigG44

U20 season just ended in Sweden today, and Bystrom's MODO played Molin's Brynäs. Bystrom picked up a goal in the 5-4 win for MODO.

A U20 tournament, IIRC top 16 teams, should start soon.

Klingberg's Skellefteå faces off against Brynäs in the opening round of the playoffs on Tuesday. charlamov71 mentioned to me via PM that Brynäs has some injuries so Molin may get a chance to play.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:25 PM
BigG44

Devin Shore (Maine) faces Sinitsyn (U-Mass-Lowell) in the first round of the Hockey East tournament. Sinitsyn hasn't played most of the season so I wouldn't count on him to be in now. The best of 3 series starts on Thursday night. Game 2 is on Friday, and Game 3 is Sunday if it is necessary.

Curtis McKenzie (Miami) finished 1st in CCHA, and Alex Guptill (Michigan) finished 7th. The first round of the CCHA tournament started this weekend, and Miami had a bye in this round. Michigan won the first 2 games of their 3 game series to advance to the next round. Guptill picked up an assist on Friday, and had a goal and an assist to go along with 9 shots on Saturday. There are 2 first round series remaining today. After that, Miami and Michigan will find out who they play next week.

Scott Winkler (Colorado College) will finish 8th in the WCHA, but one game remains today before their opponent in the first round is set. They will play Wisconsin or Denver in a 3 game series starting on Friday.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:43 PM
BigG44

Jyrki Jokipakka left yesterday's game and did not return after a hit to the knee. The player was given a 5 minute major and ejected from the game. Jyrki's team doesn't play again until Tuesday, the regular season finale.

Ilves is the worst team in the league so they will play a relegation round starting on 3/22. Hopefully it's a minor injury because Jokipakka was expected to join Texas at the conclusion of his season (the last week of March/first week of April is when the relegation round will be complete).

Old
03-10-2013, 03:16 PM
BigG44

Henri Kiviaho (KalPa) made the 3 game series Wild Card of the Jr. A SM Liiga, and they lost in 3 games. Kiviaho ends the season with pretty decent stats:

GPGAASave%
Regular Season312.66.904
Playoffs32.68.914

He went 16-15 and was 17th in save %, 9th in GAA, and tied for 4th with 4 shutouts in the regular season.

KalPa made the playoffs in the SM-Liiga, but it's doubtful he'll see any playing time considering he didn't play a single game in the regular season.

Esa Lindell (U-20 Jokerit) didn't make the playoffs. His 2nd tier team is also out of their playoffs. Jokerit is the top team in SM-Liiga, and they start the playoffs soon, but he hasn't played for them in a while.

Old
03-10-2013, 05:51 PM
BigG44

Kitchener and Niagara both blow leads again today.

Kitchener's loss makes it highly unlikely they can catch Owen Sound at 3. Unfortunately, it also gave Guelph a better chance of catching them. With 3 games to go, the Rangers have a 2 point lead in 4th place. Kitchener can't finish below 5th though so it looks like they'll play Guelph in the first round, and the teams play each other on this Wednesday. The winner of that game will likely have the edge on 4th place, and home ice advantage in their series. All of Kitchener's remaining games are against playoff teams.

Niagara is locked in to no lower than 6th in the other conference. Their three remaining games are against teams ahead of them including 4th place Brampton and 5th place Sudbury. They also have a game against 2nd place Barrie. They could potentially get as high as 4th, but they'll need to likely win every remaining game. They could still potentially play every team above them in the first round: Belleville, Barrie, Oshawa, Brampton, and Sudbury.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:00 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Devin Shore (Maine) faces Sinitsyn (U-Mass-Lowell) in the first round of the Hockey East tournament. Sinitsyn hasn't played most of the season so I wouldn't count on him to be in now. The best of 3 series starts on Thursday night. Game 2 is on Friday, and Game 3 is Sunday if it is necessary.

Curtis McKenzie (Miami) finished 1st in CCHA, and Alex Guptill (Michigan) finished 7th. The first round of the CCHA tournament started this weekend, and Miami had a bye in this round. Michigan won the first 2 games of their 3 game series to advance to the next round. Guptill picked up an assist on Friday, and had a goal and an assist to go along with 9 shots on Saturday. There are 2 first round series remaining today. After that, Miami and Michigan will find out who they play next week.

Scott Winkler (Colorado College) will finish 8th in the WCHA, but one game remains today before their opponent in the first round is set. They will play Wisconsin or Denver in a 3 game series starting on Friday.
FYI: Miami is the only team currently slated to play in the D1 hockey tournament. They are the 3rd ranked team based on ParWise so they are a virtual lock for the tournament. Colorado College is ranked tied for 31st, and Michigan and Maine aren't even ranked in the Top 32. The only way Winkler, Guptill, or Shore play in the tournament this year is if their team wins their conference tournament.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:14 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
CHL - March 10th

vs.
Result
GAPtsPIM+/-
★★★
Season:
GP
G
A
PtsPIM+/-
Ritchie
5-6 L
E

+35
Faksa
3-5 L

Vance
5-3 W
+1

+7

Old
03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
BigG44

I can't find any update, but Jyrki Jokipakka did not play today in the season finale.

Kilngberg picked up an assist in a 5-0 blowout of the first game of the Elitserien playoffs.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:42 PM
BigG44

Molin and Bystrom start a 3 game series tomorrow in the U20 tournament.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:52 PM
DMaz16
@DMaz16

I get to see stransky live for the first time tonight. I'm amped to see how he does against arguably the best defensive team in the dub.

I'll post my unprofessional scouting report after

Old
03-13-2013, 08:47 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
I was chatting with an assistant coach at Miami the other day and brought up McKenzie. He spoke pretty highly of his maturity level and how much more serious he takes the game now as opposed to maybe getting away from that workmen-like attitude the last couple years. Said he's done a good job going into the corners and winning battles, he's a physical presence, he's embracing the role. He's usually been making room for Austin Czarnik and Riley Barber on the top line this year on a defensive team.

Told me, "he'll probably be a better pro than a college player because of his style"

If you guys sign Austin Czarnik too, you can create a neat little RedHawk line of McKenzie-Czarnik-R.Smith

Old
03-13-2013, 08:55 PM
BigG44

Faksa and Kitchener get a huge regulation win. They're 4 points ahead of Guelph with only 2 games remaining. I don't know who holds the tie-breaker, but the Rangers need a single point this weekend to lock up 4th place or better.

OS is 3 points ahead with 3 games in hand ... doubtful they catch them for 3rd.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:58 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Here's to hoping Faksa has a massive showing in the playoffs.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:01 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Farkas View Post
I was chatting with an assistant coach at Miami the other day and brought up McKenzie. He spoke pretty highly of his maturity level and how much more serious he takes the game now as opposed to maybe getting away from that workmen-like attitude the last couple years. Said he's done a good job going into the corners and winning battles, he's a physical presence, he's embracing the role. He's usually been making room for Austin Czarnik and Riley Barber on the top line this year on a defensive team.

Told me, "he'll probably be a better pro than a college player because of his style"

If you guys sign Austin Czarnik too, you can create a neat little RedHawk line of McKenzie-Czarnik-R.Smith
IDK how they'd sign him and Winkler. Who would you take? We've been having the 50 contract limit discussion in several different places, but it will be a big factor next season.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:03 PM
BigG44

Just for a reference point, he's a potential look at the roster numbers:

Quote:
I just remembered ... Sceviour only plays center in a pinch. He's mostly played on wing since going pro. I'm not familiar enough with his WHL career to say where he played. Re-signing Morin and Dowling would be helpful honestly. Peters replaces Roussel and Dowling essentially replaces Eakin in the AHL.

If you make some easy assumptions that Roy is signed and Jagr, Morrow, and Nystrom are not resigned, and I'm not being too strict with potential forward groups:

F (13):
Chiasson/Fraser-Benn-Eriksson
Whitney-Roy-Cole
Roussel-Eakin-Smith
Garbutt-Fiddler-Vincour/Sceviour
Vincour/Sceviour

D (7): Including Benn and Oleksiak

G (2): Lehtonen, Bachman/Nilstorp

F (10):
Chiasson/Fraser-Morin-Richie
Hedden-Dowling-Stransky
Wathier-Petersen-Glennie
Gazdic-Peters-Vause

D (7): Fortunus, Jokipakka, Klingberg, Nemeth, Sneep, Vance/Labrie, Baldwin

G (2): Jack Campbell, Tyler Beskorowany

ECHL (5): Lagace, King, A. Smith, Winkler, Vance/Labrie

Europe (1): Molin

That's only 47 contracts so it could work. You'd have to hope that another NHL team didn't swoop in on Hedden and/or Vause. That also allows for only one open Top 9 spot for a young forward. That'll provide for some excellent competition in camp between Chiasson, Fraser, Ritchie, and Stransky.

I'd still like to see them sign William Wrenn. He would only be the 48th contract, and that would create some competition between Wrenn, Vance, and Labrie.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:23 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
IDK how they'd sign him and Winkler. Who would you take? We've been having the 50 contract limit discussion in several different places, but it will be a big factor next season.
I'm trying to determine if there's a direction that they are leaning on that subject, but I've been unsuccessful (my best Stars contact is no longer with the organization).

I figure you just sign both, if you get into a pinch, you let one of the minor leaguers go...you have Sneep coming back, you have Morin coming back, you have Fortunus coming back, all on NHL deals. These guys get put through the wash so much, you don't know what's gonna happen. I know Morin and Fortunus have been good, the latter is the captain down there. But that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be serving up NHL deals for these guys to stay. You can give them a little boosted AHL salary deal and keep them if you want, but if some NHL teams want these guys, you just replace them with something else...there's hundreds of guys that can step in and perform in the roles that you've got there.

Or, if you really get stuck somehow, which I can't see heading into an offseason, but if you really get stuck, if Nieuwendyk has any friends out there you just ask for a favor..."Hey Ray, do me a favor and take Tristan King and just stuff him somewhere for me..." or "Hey Marc, I took that extra year of Erik Cole...just take this Lagace kid, drive for about 2 hours and let him out of the car somewhere for me..."

You can't let mistakes get in the way of progress. Especially now that you guys have your ownership under control. Where you don't have to sit there and count pennies all the time (like the Brunnstrom/Stefanovich trade)...your organization isn't afraid to bring in utility men right off the street and give them a chance to perform (Morin, Tousignant, Sloan, Peters, Roussel, Garbutt, etc.), they should be able to retain their own draft picks if they see fit.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
BigG44

Thanks, I added Molin lately, but most of the year I've figured he'd probably move on. The only real reason I kept Fortunus was the captaincy. I'd be fine with him moving on.

That said, I'd could also just as easily see Dallas retain Jagr and/or Nystrom since they seem to really like both.

I've always liked McKenzie. I haven't watched a single game this year, but I watched him quite a bit when I was catching games for Reilly Smith. I hope they can end up signing him.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:01 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Now, I don't know, but Morin is a guy that sometimes you see pass up an NHL team for a European deal. Take $80K on a two-way with little hope of being called up ever, then do it all over again the next year...or a DEL team comes along and goes "$120K per year for two years" and you have a new opportunity, more money, if you're a younger player without a family, a great experience, etc. That's part of the reason why I wouldn't start counting these unhatched chickens yet because you never know when the nest will empty...

McKenzie and Smith were roommates I think a couple years back, Dallas seems to try to accommodate "family" requests (Benn, Neal, Ludwig, etc.) and this whole "brotherhood" thing probably falls under that category as well...or close enough...

Old
03-13-2013, 11:17 PM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
CHL - March 13th

vs.
Result
GAPtsPIM+/-
★★★
Season:
GP
G
A
PtsPIM+/-
Winther
1-4 L

+15
Faksa
3-2 W
+2

Old
03-15-2013, 10:38 AM
BigG44

Shore had a goal and an assist in a 4-2 loss against #1 U Mass-Lowell. His season will end tonight if Maine doesn't get a win.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
BigG44

Devin Shore has stepped up huge in the Tournament. He picked up a goal and assist yesterday, and he has the only goal in a 1-1 tie that's going to OT right now. I'll have to check the final tomorrow, but they have to win to force a Game 3.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
BigG44

U Mass-Lowell ended it pretty quickly in OT. Maine's season is over, but you have to admit Devin Shore had one hell of a season for an 18 year old freshman in Hockey East.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
U Mass-Lowell ended it pretty quickly in OT. Maine's season is over, but you have to admit Devin Shore had one hell of a season for an 18 year old freshman in Hockey East.
1) New top-20 on the way.
2) The bolded name is on it.

Closed Thread