HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Conference Discussion (Realignment Approved, Detroit and Columbus Leaving)

Old
03-14-2013, 02:01 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

vCash: 500
we are now the #1 attraction in the West for sure

Bubba88 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 02:38 PM
Chelios

My 2 cents. Loss of Detroit is not as big a deal as many are making it out to be. It has been a long time since there was any real hate between the two teams. I think the loss of Detroit is more than made up for by playing every team in the NHL at least twice. It will be nice being able to play teams like Boston, Toronto, Montreal, Pittsburg, Philly etc... twice a year. I also think there is good rivalry potential with Minnesota, Winnipeg and Colorado. I am not 100% sure of the playoff format, but if it is divisional based (which I thought I read) those rivalries will develop fairly quickly. Another positive aspect to the new alignment is that it seems to put the Hawks in a pretty good position moving forward. I don't see any of the other teams in our division, except possibly St. Louis, developing into powerhouses anytime soon. Should allow us to be a playoff team for the foreseeable future.

Chelios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 04:44 PM
OldTime13
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
Yeah, I know all of that.

The point was that we don't need to have a eastern/western set up. Last year's proposal fixed all this by cutting down the trips those teams make to the west, making them the same amount as the rest of the eastern time teams. That proposal was brilliant. This one they are going with sucks!
Yes, I thought last years set up was way better, but as Retail1LO said this is about timezones and when games are on TV. As I posted earlier the NHL & Detroit gets those better start times which is good for NBC. The only team in the west the league cares about is the Hawks and with everyone playing everyone twice that means more Hawks games against big Eastern clubs.

OldTime13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:12 PM
Trance Kuja
Global Moderator
2nd Coming.

I'm not a fan at all.

Trance Kuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:42 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

On That's Hockey, Pierre Le Brun said he called Rocky to ask what he thought and he said that he was in favour of the realignment because, even though Detroit is moving, all 5 of the other original teams will play at the UC at least once a year.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 05:53 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
We call that toeing the company line.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 01:39 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

he would prefer to see all the other teams 2 times a year while the Wings are still in our division

Old
03-15-2013, 09:38 AM
hockeydoug

I'm glad the alignment is final. I had too many other problems with the last alignment. I think many of those problems were addressed. The regular season has more significance than it did under the last setup.

Chicago is as well positioned to succeed as Detroit was going into the last CBA in terms of franchise advantages. The rivalries will develop.
I think the league did a good job coming up with the least bad idea.

I hope they eliminate the wild card in a few years.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:35 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
I'm glad the alignment is final. I had too many other problems with the last alignment. I think many of those problems were addressed. The regular season has more significance than it did under the last setup.

Chicago is as well positioned to succeed as Detroit was going into the last CBA in terms of franchise advantages. The rivalries will develop.

Division winners should get auto bids, the rest should be wild cards. Top 6 teams after get in.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:48 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:

No need for logic here but unfortunately I agree its the least bad idea.

Pity the Hawks can, for all intents and purposes, no longer enjoy a rivalry with Detroit and pounding they so richly deserve for maybe at least the next decade at the hands of the Hawks, especially with Datsyuk calling it a career in the NHL next year.

Guess I just need to archive the Jeremy Piven video.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:19 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
The rumor that I've heard on other boards is that the Hawks, Blues, Preds, Bolts, and Panthers were the teams that voted against the realignment plan.

No source that I'm aware of, at least not a reputable one.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:33 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
The rumor that I've heard on other boards is that the Hawks, Blues, Preds, Bolts, and Panthers were the teams that voted against the realignment plan.

Pierre Le Brun said Wirtz said he didn't vote against it...but who knows.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by UsernameWasTaken View Post
Pierre Le Brun said Wirtz said he didn't vote against it...but who knows.
Wirtz is a toe the line type of owner. No clue if he did or didn't, but if he didn't I doubt he'd ever come out and confirm that he was against it.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:45 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Wirtz is a toe the line type of owner. No clue if he did or didn't, but if he didn't I doubt he'd ever come out and confirm that he was against it.
Chicago gets to be the flagship for the WC all by themselves on NBC. Rocky gets every team in his building once. Playoff likelihood is better for Chicago, and even better given the division. If he had a big problem with it, I have serious questions about what goes on between his ears.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:51 PM
BBH
34|38|61|10|13

Send a message via Skype™ to BBH
Looking at it now it's fine. I'd much rather play New York/Philly/Toronto twice a year than Detroit six times to be quite honest with you. As long as they fix the wild card and unbalanced divisions, I think it should be fine.

If Phoenix ends up moving to Seattle, just keep them in their current division, KC, move them in and bump Avalanche into Pacific-coast area. QC is anybody's guess.

Good move, NHL.

BBH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
madgoat33

I'm excited about getting to see winnipeg a bunch. want to see more byfuglien and ladd

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:57 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Chicago gets to be the flagship for the WC all by themselves on NBC. Rocky gets every team in his building once. Playoff likelihood is better for Chicago, and even better given the division. If he had a big problem with it, I have serious questions about what goes on between his ears.
Becuase people are more interested in seeing Detroit play, a natural rival and close city then New York or Boston or Montreal. Those don't make up for losing Detroit especially if those teams are bad.

Ask Boston if their willing to lose Montreal and vice versa to get every team in once a year?

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:07 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Becuase people are more interested in seeing Detroit play, a natural rival and close city then New York or Boston or Montreal. Those don't make up for losing Detroit especially if those teams are bad.
Yeah, I couldn't care about those 3 at all. To me, Chicago and Detroit (along with Minnesota) just go together.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:22 PM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

The only thing I really dislike about it is the fact that it's extremely division heavy. I know the wildcard crossover exists but I prefer a 1-8 format for playoffs. Also don't like imbalanced conferences but I guess I can get used to it. This re-alignment screams expansion to me though.

EchoesoftheEighties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:15 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
ITA w/ your post.

While I get why people are pissed that DET isn't a division rival i also think ppl are overstating how much Rocky would really care about the change. In a "normal" season, DET would play at the UC 3 times (and the Hawks would play at JLA 3 times). I can see why Rocky would like the fact that every team plays in Chicago every year.

Re: playoffs - it's not like the Hawks have a lengthy history playing DET in the playoffs - they played each other in 2009 and then earlier in 1995.

I'm sure if there was a re-alignment possibility where DET stayed in the division and everything else was the same, Rocky would have preferred that...but i also get why he would be able to stomach re-alignment as it's structured.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:54 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post

Ask Boston if their willing to lose Montreal and vice versa to get every team in once a year?
It's about the owners, not the fans. Wirtz looks to be far better positioned to grow the brand and increase revenue under the new format than the current one. I'm sure he would like Detroit in the same div, but I would seriously doubt he would scrap this format and keep the current one given the choice between the two.

The Molsons would scrap a few Bos-MTL games if it meant better odds at winning, better brand growth, and increased revenue overall. We know Jacobs wouldn't question it for a minute.

Chicago loses 4 games against Det and 4 against CLB. They gain 4+ against WPG and a home and home against everybody (especially all the big markets) in the east. They have improved odds at the postseason and have the infrastructure in place to exploit that opportunity. Winning sells better than any rivalry and they have more exposure to more hockey markets regularly now.

I think it would be a tough argument to prove that the current alignment is better for his bottom line and brand compared to the new one.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:13 AM
Hawkey39

I think its sad to see Detroit out of our division but it'll still be the same amount of games or close to it. Columbus was always an easy win. And I'm excited bout being in the same division as the stars

Hawkey39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:24 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:

wouldn't surprise me if this rumor is true

Old
03-16-2013, 07:31 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

I would think the Florida teams would prefer the realignment. I know Tampas attendance is pretty good but adding teams that have fans that live in Florida or travel to Florida will increase gate numbers and profitability for the Panthers at least

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:42 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
wouldn't surprise me if this rumor is true
Why would Rocky vote down that alignment?