HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated"
Political Discussion - "on-topic & unmoderated" Rated PG13, unmoderated but threads must stay on topic - that means you can flame each other all you want as long as it's legal

CPAC Controversy: Audience Member Defends Slavery, Segregation

Old
03-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Epsilon
#TeamHolland

vCash: 500
CPAC Controversy: Audience Member Defends Slavery, Segregation

CPAC Participant Defends Slavery At Minority Outreach Panel: It Gave ‘Food And Shelter’ To Blacks

Quote:
NATIONAL HARBOR, Maryland — A panel at the Conservative Political Action Committee on Republican minority outreach exploded into controversy on Friday afternoon, after an audience member defended slavery as good for African-Americans.

The exchange occurred after an audience member from North Carolina, 30-year-old Scott Terry, asked whether Republicans could endorse races remaining separate but equal. After the presenter, K. Carl Smith of Frederick Douglass Republicans, answered by referencing a letter by Frederick Douglass forgiving his former master, the audience member said “For what? For feeding him and housing him?” Several people in the audience cheered and applauded Terry’s outburst.

After the exchange, Terry muttered under his breath, “why can’t we just have segregation?” noting the Constitution’s protections for freedom of association.

ThinkProgress spoke with Terry, who sported a Rick Santorum sticker and attended CPAC with a friend who wore a Confederate Flag-emblazoned t-shirt, about his views after the panel. Terry maintained that white people have been “systematically disenfranchised” by federal legislation.

When asked by ThinkProgress if he’d accept a society where African-Americans were permanently subservient to whites, he said “I’d be fine with that.” He also claimed that African-Americans “should be allowed to vote in Africa,” and that “all the Tea Parties” were concerned with the same racial problems that he was.

At one point, a woman challenged him on the Republican Party’s roots, to which Terry responded, “I didn’t know the legacy of the Republican Party included women correcting men in public.”

He claimed to be a direct descendent of Confederate President Jefferson Davis.

The panel continued to be racked in controversy, as an African-American audience member repeatedly challenged the racism on display at this event.
So much hilarity here, I tried bolding the best parts but realized that was just going to end up being the whole article. Racism, sexism, ignorance of history, massive egotism, it's all on full display.

Here's the video if anyone can stomach it:

Epsilon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:27 PM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

An absolute perfect example of why staunch conservatives in the US will wallow in quagmire for years to come, until they finally suffocate and die off.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:37 PM
Ozamataz Buckshank

Quite surprising that the premier conservative convention of the year would attract white nationalists.

Ozamataz Buckshank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 05:39 PM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
"No. No, man. ****, no, man. I believe you'd get your ass kicked sayin' something like that, man."

jflory81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Conservatives really are missing a golden chance to take away chunk of Black vote because of there racism

The black church going crowd is more in line with alot of there views on social issues but time and again the outright racism of many in conservative community kill any chance to pull in that group

Also actively drive away conservaitve hispanice vote (Which George Bush was actually making progress in pulling towards republican party)

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Franck
Insolent Upstart

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Conservatives really are missing a golden chance to take away chunk of Black vote because of there racism

The black church going crowd is more in line with alot of there views on social issues but time and again the outright racism of many in conservative community kill any chance to pull in that group

Also actively drive away conservaitve hispanice vote (Which George Bush was actually making progress in pulling towards republican party)
On the flip side, it's difficult to make an appeal to those groups when one of your current key groups is entitled, angry white males and the other is entitled white retirees.

Franck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 06:40 PM
SoupNazi
Global Moderator
No Soup for You!!!

vCash: 545
A white supremacist at CPAC? Shocker.

SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:00 PM
Sevanston

The line about blacks being better off during slavery I've heard before, but the icing on the cake was the crack about women.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:04 PM
Leafsdude7
Stand-Up Philosopher

Send a message via AIM to Leafsdude7 Send a message via MSN to Leafsdude7 Send a message via Yahoo to Leafsdude7
Even with the video evidence, I can't help but hope this is just the Onion trying to make their satire real.

Leafsdude7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:12 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Even with the video evidence, I can't help but hope this is just the Onion trying to make their satire real.
Poe's law strikes again.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:24 PM
Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafsdude7 View Post
Poe's law strikes again.

Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Am I the only one who thinks this guy was trolling?

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Colt45Blast
It Works Everytime!

LOL Didn't watch.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:12 PM
Walkingthroughforest
Johnny B. Goode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
Am I the only one who thinks this guy was trolling?
I did after he said Systemically Disenfranchised. It takes a higher level of intelligence than on display here, just to pronounce those words.

Walkingthroughforest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:14 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
I did after he said Systemically Disenfranchised. It takes a higher level of intelligence than on display here, just to pronounce those words.
Sounds like he watches right wingnut TV and radio shows. He is just spouting back the jargon.

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:21 PM
Fish on The Sand
Untouchable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkingthroughforest View Post
He also kept using the term "demographic" and knew who Booker T. Washington was. The tone in his voice when he said "for giving them food and shelter" is what really made me think this was a troll job.

Fish on The Sand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:45 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish on The Sand View Post
He also kept using the term "demographic" and knew who Booker T. Washington was. The tone in his voice when he said "for giving them food and shelter" is what really made me think this was a troll job.
There are lots of educated bigots.

According to reports this is the same Scott Terry:
http://faithandheritage.com/author/scott-terry/

He was in the company of Matthew Heimbach with the Confederate flag shirt the founder of the White Student Union at the CPAC meeting as reported by a number of sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Student_Union
http://towsonwsu.blogspot.ca/

When the crowd realized what Terry was suggesting, there were wide-eyed looks around the room, including from me. I was sitting two seats down from him, next to Matthew Heimbach, president of the Towson White Students Union. Heimbach, at right, was wearing a rebel flag shirt, a George Wallace button, and beat-up black boots.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...tionist/63173/

Last edited by Wetcoaster: 03-15-2013 at 11:02 PM.
Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:11 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
While I'm all for the GOP remaining crazy and continually alienating essentially every single majorly growing demographic that will make up the lion's share of the country's future electorate, it is still nuts to think that bozos like that guy are still being pandered to by a party that still has legitimate shots at winning elections.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:14 PM
Free Torts

vCash: 883
Send a message via MSN to Free Torts
Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
While I'm all for the GOP remaining crazy and continually alienating essentially every single majorly growing demographic that will make up the lion's share of the country's future electorate, it is still nuts to think that bozos like that guy are still being pandered to by a party that still has legitimate shots at winning elections.
They won't have legitimate shots to win anything if guys like him become the norm. The poor, systematically disenfranchised White* voter.

Free Torts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkP View Post
They won't have legitimate shots to win anything if guys like him become the norm. The poor, systematically disenfranchised White* voter.
They still own half of Congress, over half of the state legislatures and governor's offices, and got about 47% of the popular vote in the last presidential election despite pandering heavily to the far right and having birthers, more overt racists, and other whackjobs constantly being vocal inside and outside the party for them.

They're withering, but they ain't dead yet. They need a few more ass-kickings before they finally start tacking to the center, and if I've learned anything in my years it's that the ability of the Democrats to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory can never be underestimated.

No Fun Shogun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Concordski
Knockoff Jets FTW

vCash: 663
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetcoaster View Post
There are lots of educated bigots.

According to reports this is the same Scott Terry:
http://faithandheritage.com/author/scott-terry/

He was in the company of Matthew Heimbach with the Confederate flag shirt the founder of the White Student Union at the CPAC meeting as reported by a number of sources.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Student_Union
http://towsonwsu.blogspot.ca/

When the crowd realized what Terry was suggesting, there were wide-eyed looks around the room, including from me. I was sitting two seats down from him, next to Matthew Heimbach, president of the Towson White Students Union. Heimbach, at right, was wearing a rebel flag shirt, a George Wallace button, and beat-up black boots.
http://www.theatlanticwire.com/polit...tionist/63173/
I have that very George Wallace button!!! I wore it at an election party for the lulz. My favorite response was "It's funny that pin says 'Stand up for America' considering he would eventually end up in a wheelchair."

But in fairness, BWC, the only black people the GOP could possibly attract if they got rid of the racism would be the richer black people, IMO. The Democratic policies are simply better for urban populations, black and white, at least in the short term.

I watched Donald Trump's speech and I was extremely concerned by his statement suggesting that we should have gotten the US Government to seize as much oil from Iraq as it would have taken to pay off going into Iraq in the first place (along with enough to pay stipends to the families of all the dead soldiers). This is like something you'd hear in Imperial Japan, not the 21st Century USA.

Last edited by Concordski: 03-16-2013 at 01:26 AM.
Concordski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Ol' Jase
PLAYOFFS??

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
LOL Didn't watch.
Surprise of the year.

Still happened, **** for brains, whether you watch it or not.

Ol' Jase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:23 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
"For giving them food and shelter"

AP... is that you?

Everlasting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:26 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Clearly America would be better off if the GOP was not the party of crazy (and right now the party of hate, too), but since they are and that's not going to change any time soon, I will enjoy watching them shoot themselves in the foot time and time again.

This year's CPAC showed that they learned nothing at all in 2012. The 2016 election will be exactly like last year's - any candidates who attempt to even sound reasonable will be alienated like Huntsman was, and everyone else will trip over themselves to win the poorly educated and grossly misinformed Teabag vote and thus end up (if they weren't already) as damaged goods by nomination time. The Clinton Machine will know exactly what to do with whichever candidate wins the nomination by pandering the most to the caveman vote.

Ugmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Doppler Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
LOL Didn't watch.

You aren't even trying anymore.

Doppler Drift is online now   Reply With Quote