HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Respect for Mikey (merged)

Old
07-30-2006, 09:22 PM
znk

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guriken View Post
LOL

I don't know if you're kidding but anyway bringing this again is ridiculous... how many players fake to help their team get a PP? many. You should be grateful for having a player who has great acting talent!

And sometimes he uses his attitude to piss the other team off and that's something that I would like to see him do more often. He should also work on his shot, or just try to use it more so he would get better at it. He certainly should get more points this year with the new guys and realistically, if he does well it would be enough for me.
There is faking...and there is faking. What Ribeiro did was shamefull.
It's impossible to defend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESiZ6J-w_A8

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player ? Ribeiro was +15 the season before

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect ? The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement ? Koivu also got few consecutive one season contracts . Ryder is in the same situation .

To gain your respect, he would have to do all of the following ; what ? you ask him to be perfect or what ? that's ridiculous

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence...? May be it 's only you that is wrong , but not all the others ?May be it's you that is fabricating a worst Ribeiro than he is in reality

RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup ??? this one is going so far that i wont even comment it.
I actualy agree with the fact Ribs is an obstacle....well he has been so far. His playoff points per game is 3 times less then during the season. The problem with Ribs is if he isnt producing points he dosent really have an other aspect of his game that can help the team.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:48 PM
NewHabsEra*

Again..........

Ribs has 2 strikes against him... Major lack of strength and quickness... You may be weak but still have the quickness to make a name for yourself in the big league... You may be an under average skater but having the strength on your side to have some succes in the NHL but when you signifiantly lack both strength and quickness you are in big trouble at this level.. Add to the fact Ribs would have difficulties to beat a Pee-Wee goaltender with his weak shot and you will have a better idea why most fans have little hopes regarding Ribs's future..

The way the game is played today, you have to have what it takes to compete in this league.. Sutter said it best, you cant win the cup without a fast team..

Unless Ribs improved his weakness a big deal, I cant see him survive one more full season with the Habs, as much as Ribs improved our team over Perreault centering our second line few years ago, as much as Pleks would improve our team over Ribs centering our second line.. Jonhson or Bonk centering the third...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 09:59 PM
David_99

I have a feeling Ribs is going to surprise a little bit this season. He's not going to be perfect, like the rest of us , but I can at least see him trying to take the body more, fight for the pucks more, be better at faceoffs (with Carbs and Muller teaching him some tricks) and maybe relied on less as a scorer and more of a playmaker with Kovy and Sams on his wings. There has to have been a condition to his raise this season. Gainey's not stupid. I'm sure they have him training somewhere working on his weaknesses. I can't see someone working under Carbs not giving his all everynight and expect to be staying a while.

Again he won't be perfect, but he'll be more of the guy we saw at the end of last season. If he can't keep it up, well then Gainey will have a decision to make.

David_99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 10:07 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player ? Ribeiro was +15 the season before

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect ? The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement ? Koivu also got few consecutive one season contracts . Ryder is in the same situation .

To gain your respect, he would have to do all of the following ; what ? you ask him to be perfect or what ? that's ridiculous

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence...? May be it 's only you that is wrong , but not all the others ?May be it's you that is fabricating a worst Ribeiro than he is in reality

RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup ??? this one is going so far that i wont even comment it.
He is right.. Actually we have only 2 signifiant weakness... A good second line center and a top pairing DMen great on the PP... I think Koivu can be a fine first line center if physically healthy and mentally quite focussed for an entire season.. We have the possibility to upgrade our second line center spot from inside with Tomas Plekanec who I think have what it takes to improve our second line a big deal in term of efficiency and pts, some fans underrate Pleks' skills a big deal, he would be amazing centering Kovalev.. Then you have guys like Bonk and Jonhson able to center our third line, Murray as natural center on the fourth.. Maybe we have a wildcard in Grabovski, we will see how he does next training camp...

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:05 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What would Ribiero have to do to gain the average fan's respect (he already seems to have Bobs)? Will an 80 point season and a decent playoff be enough?

He'd have to start acting like a man instead of a snutty spoiled teenager (and I'm not even referring to his dressing habits here, though changing that would be a good start). To me, his overall behavior on the ice and in the media makes him look like he's still playing with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies...

Showing up once in a while in clutch situations would be a step in the good direction too...

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:16 PM
Shabutie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
He is only one player - one very weak player occupying a very important role that he is clearly not capable of handling.

I've said it before. I'll say it again. We cannot challenge for a top spot in the conference when we have such a gap at second line centre. The position of second line centre is very important...hardly a mole-hill one.

Write this down: The Montreal Canadiens will not win a Stanley Cup with Mike Ribeiro on the team
If and when we do, I hope that you move onto the leafs.

Shabutie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:22 PM
GoHabsGO252006

1. I would like to see him put up offensive numbers while being responsible defensively.

2. Getting stronger would help his play immensly

3. Checking the ego and attitude at the door, NO stupid comments about teamates, and more supportive position. Encouraging and learning. He should ask Saku for help on how he can get better and stop all the crap about competing. Speaking highly and positively about Saku and how the team needs him would go a long way in my opinion.

GoHabsGO252006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:28 PM
hab

last year was a bit of an improvement, especially getting involved in his own zone,

a couple of times I saw him behind the net trying to clear the puck, you could tell

he was out of his element, but putting in the effort, that was nice, but as for

getting buffed and going into the corners, its just not going to happen. If a guy like

this puts up 60- 70 points and plays a decent d game, hes OK by me, and a lot

of forwards do improve in there own zone with experience. if we had a couple of

good bangers on the 1st to 3rd lines I dont think you would notice his shortcomings

as much.

hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:38 PM
GSK*

May be i'm gonna get bashing but, yes of course he need to play more harder on the puck, and forecheck etc.

But during the playoffs he did 2 assists in 6 games. May be you gonna say i'm crazy but if you remember well, Cam Ward stole him like 5 goals easily, each time, a *****ing highlight of the night save on him, and he was not late on the shot ( Ribeiro ), and he was shooting on top, but Cam was amazing, i thought 3 times the puck was in the net but i was wrong...

He did not so bad in playoffs, I think ( without Plekanec and Perezhogin ), most of the foward in the last 3 games against Carolina was not amazing.

GSK* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:43 PM
habfan4

I'm sure Mike Ribeiro is, and always has been, undisturbed by being a polarizing figure on this message board. The only people that "have" to respect him are his teammates, coaches and family.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Hook View Post
He'd have to start acting like a man instead of a snutty spoiled teenager (and I'm not even referring to his dressing habits here, though changing that would be a good start). To me, his overall behavior on the ice and in the media makes him look like he's still playing with the Rouyn-Noranda Huskies...

Showing up once in a while in clutch situations would be a step in the good direction too...

Who cares about how they dress off the ice that has nothing to do and doesn't affect results on the ice.

417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:52 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I'm sure Mike Ribeiro is, and always has been, undisturbed by being a polarizing figure on this message board. The only people that "have" to respect him are his teammates, coaches and family.
I'm wandering the countryside,brooding deeply about the Ribeiro issue. Can he get better ? Will he ? Is he the worst player and most despicable character ever to wear the CH ? Can he work his way into the hearts of the masses ? Can he overcome the global anti-Portueguese French speaking son of a soccer player conspiracy ? Will he ever be elected Irishman of the Year and lead the St Paddy's day parade ?

I hope so. For the love of God I hope so. Godspeed Mikey.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:07 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What would Ribiero have to do to gain the average fan's respect (he already seems to have Bobs)? Will an 80 point season and a decent playoff be enough?
A 65-70 point season, a postive +/- and a slightly improved two way play (work ethic) would be more than enough for me. I think he can do it.

As for Bob's respect, I would hestitate on that one. Ribs got a one year contract at a level that will give the Habs a 2nd round draft choice if he signed by another team next year.

That extra year gives Gainey a chance to evaluate Chipchura, Grabovsky and Aubin. Don't forget, the Habs will have to free up significant cap room next year to accommodate at least two of Markov, Rivet and Souray. Plekanec and Higgins will likely be in for raises. It isn't all going to come from Aebischer and Bonk.

I would say Ribs is still on the bubble.

HCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:15 PM
mcphee

Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
Who cares about how they dress off the ice that has nothing to do and doesn't affect results on the ice.
I do but I'm very sensitive.

Old
07-31-2006, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcphee View Post
I do but I'm very sensitive.
With you acute sense of humour, i'm not sure if this is a joke...but personally, who cares about how they dress, it has nothing to do with hockey.

Old
07-31-2006, 01:58 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
The question asked in the topic was about getting respect of the fans and a lot of that has to do with perceptions: he looks and talks like a teenage slacker on dope, which I'm sure affects the perception of a lot of fans. If he'd dressed and talked like a responsible mature adult who comes into work, I'm sure it would help to improve those perceptions

Old
07-31-2006, 02:02 PM
mcphee

Quote:
With you acute sense of humour, i'm not sure if this is a joke...but personally, who cares about how they dress, it has nothing to do with hockey.
I know. The guy has a few things that are key going into this year. I have no inside knowledge but I piece together comments I hear. This is the year that he has to show he is serious about having a successful NHL career, not just making it on talent,but seriously understanding th eprice to be paid to become a winner. He seemed to improve some things last year but couldn't sustain them.

There are some physical things he can work on, and I believe most involve the need for some power in his first step. Simply keeping his feet moving is key for him. He will put up ok numbers on his talent but it's time to be a player. I think Carbo will judge that soon enough. I hope he takes a step forward. I just get amused at how he's such a polarizing force on the team.

Old
07-31-2006, 02:04 PM
mcphee

Quote:
The question asked in the topic was about getting respect of the fans and a lot of that has to do with perceptions: he looks and talks like a teenage slacker on dope, which I'm sure affects the perception of a lot of fans. If he'd dressed and talked like a responsible mature adult who comes into work, I'm sure it would help to improve those perceptions
I dunno, Doc, I'm thinking of my sports hero right now, the Spaceman Bill Lee. You can live outside the law but you must be honest.

Old
07-31-2006, 02:08 PM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Iggy button advocate

Quote:
I know. The guy has a few things that are key going into this year. I have no inside knowledge but I piece together comments I hear. This is the year that he has to show he is serious about having a successful NHL career, not just making it on talent,but seriously understanding th eprice to be paid to become a winner. He seemed to improve some things last year but couldn't sustain them.
Thank goodness, and McPhee, for a little perspective. I don't understand that kind of aggression, or entitlement as the case may be, demonstrated by supposed fans, towards a hockey player.

While it's a religion in Canada, it's also... just a game... although I know this is sacrilegious.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
I dunno, Doc, I'm thinking of my sports hero right now, the Spaceman Bill Lee. You can live outside the law but you must be honest.
A Dylan quote ! Nice !!

I'm too young to have seen Bill Lee play but he's given a couple of real good interviews in the last few years. Fascinating character. The thing is a pitcher in baseball can be a fat lazy pot-head and it doesn't change a thing; if you show up to the stadium with a healthy arm, that's all we can ask for. Heck, Wells pitched a perfect game while hungover ! But in hockey, slackers aren't really what you look for... and if you dress and talk like one, don't ask yourself why people think of you as one...

Old
07-31-2006, 02:16 PM
Darz

Imo, this is a very simple and easy answer.

Ribeiro needs to keep moving his feet, and shut his mouth.

All his problem start when he starts to glide too much. One of Ribeiro's biggest talent is he can pull off great moves while skating at top speed, but these moves fail 99% of the time if he feet aren't moving.

If Ribeiro is skating hard each shift, he will do well. If not, he's in trouble.

07-31-2006, 02:18 PM
habfan4

Quote:
I'm wandering the countryside,brooding deeply about the Ribeiro issue. Can he get better ? Will he ? Is he the worst player and most despicable character ever to wear the CH ? Can he work his way into the hearts of the masses ? Can he overcome the global anti-Portueguese French speaking son of a soccer player conspiracy ? Will he ever be elected Irishman of the Year and lead the St Paddy's day parade ?

I hope so. For the love of God I hope so. Godspeed Mikey.
I was with you until the Irishman of the Year Award, if Gros Bill doesn't win it this year, I'm renouncing my Irish heritage.

habfan4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Well did you ever think that the problem here might be the perception of fans?

Maybe the way he dresses, to you or others, might seem like he's a teenage slacker on dope, when in reality he's not.

Who are we to say what a responsible mature adult is 'supposed' to look like

What a mature and responsible adult looks like can be different to alot of different people.

- Hey, I don't 'look' like what a rabid hockey fan is 'supposed' to look like, but i'm still a rabid hockey fan.

Old
07-31-2006, 02:32 PM
mcphee

Quote:
A Dylan quote ! Nice !!

I'm too young to have seen Bill Lee play but he's given a couple of real good interviews in the last few years. Fascinating character. The thing is a pitcher in baseball can be a fat lazy pot-head and it doesn't change a thing; if you show up to the stadium with a healthy arm, that's all we can ask for. Heck, Wells pitched a perfect game while hungover ! But in hockey, slackers aren't really what you look for... and if you dress and talk like one, don't ask yourself why people think of you as one...
Bill Lee was always in top condition and never lazy.Always gave 100%, which was a big part of his popularity. You see, it's all perception. Montreal loves an outlaw,it's not a button down city. He's got to produce though.