HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Young Cores In The NHL.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Magix

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Is he a core to the team right now ? If he goes down for a long time do we still remain a threat ? Gallagher makes a major impact on this team. Galchenyuk was an overblown statement.
hmm

I'm not sure if you understand what a core player is. Gallagher might be an impact player this season and if he were to go down, I doubt the habs would drop down 5 spots in the standings. Not like if price went down who is an actual core player.

Magix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:10 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by live playoff hockey View Post
you cant call a guy like Gallagher a core player, but not allow guys like Silfverberg and Zibanejad to also be called core players. Just because one has been producing at a better clip doesnt change their value imo, on this type of sample size, you cannot be added to a core. For example, Kassian was playing top line minutes for the Canucks and scoring at a ridiculous rate, did that make him a core player for the Canucks at that time? No, of course not! You cannot hold the double standard that your blue chip prospects are more worthy of being deemed core players than other teams.
Half a season now... It's been half a season of Gallagher playing better than Bourque, Gionta, Prust, Moen, Armstrong and Galchenyuk.

Is Huberdeau a core player in Florida? Tarasenko in ST-Louis? IMO yes they are because the impact they make is essential to the team success

I've already dismissed Galchenyuk so stop bringing him up.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW View Post

I think MTL's core is overrated. This thread has pretty much been Habs fans tooting their own horns.
Says the Leaf fan... we're first in the east bud!

I knew defining "core" was going to be up for debate. For me it's guy's who have:

-Have proven they can play in the NHL
-Are already playing an important role, or have the potential to eventually play an elite role

As for defining "young", I'd say mid-twenties is the threshold. 27 and up and you're pushing it.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:11 AM
Reclamation Project
What will we do?

I consider a core to be untouchable players. Obviously, any player is a available for the right price, but it usually means overpayment. They are also the backbone of a team. Centers, goalies, and defensemen. Top six, top pairing, and a franchise goalie.

Reclamation Project is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sens91 View Post
Oh so now under 30 is okay lol. Well add Spezza, Michalek and Anderson.

Seriously dude, why do you hate the sens so much? You're contradicting yourself all over this thread.
Where did I say that I hate the Sens?

Well I do hate the Sens.. But it's a rivalry so I don't know why this should be held against me. I hate Boston and Toronto too if that makes you feel better.

Aaaand since when is 31 under 30

Old
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
I dunno about calling Rinaldo a core player, or Knuble for that matter, but impressive nonetheless.
The Knuble thing was a joke. Rinaldo may not necessarily be flashy, but I absolutely consider him a core guy if he continues his recent play.

JDinkalage Morgoone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
HockeySens

Quote:
Half a season now... It's been half a season of Gallagher playing better than Bourque, Gionta, Prust, Moen, Armstrong and Galchenyuk.

Is Huberdeau a core player in Florida? Tarasenko in ST-Louis? IMO yes they are because the impact they make is essential to the team success

really? your comparing them to prust, moen, armstrong and borque?, besides borque your standards are low and im not saying those players mentioned are bad players.

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:16 AM
Linden
[hello] :)

vCash: 50
Quote:

I really feel as though you have been using the term "core player" too lightly, for example, the Canucks core players are the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Edler and Luongo. If any of those players go down, we see a significant drop in our play. Guys like Prust, Armstron, and Bourque, Moen shouldnt even be named in these conversations. I dont consider Tarasenko, nor Hubredeau core player atm because of the small sample size. You have to realize that half a season in this shortened season is no the same as half a season in a regular season. It is very possible that players play can drop off.

Linden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I consider a core to be untouchable players. Obviously, any player is a available for the right price, but it usually means overpayment. They are also the backbone of a team. Centers, goalies, and defensemen. Top six, top pairing, and a franchise goalie.
That is a good definition.

But I'd add a Dman and atleast a forward to that.

I'd view this in a starting line-up kind of way
Ex:
Malkin-Crosby-Neal
Despres-Letang
Fleury

Old
03-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Linden

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
The Knuble thing was a joke. Rinaldo may not necessarily be flashy, but I absolutely consider him a core guy if he continues his recent play.
ahh i would tend to agree, although the op has been unclear on whether or not to include future core players or proven core players so i dunno

Old
03-16-2013, 01:18 AM
Tender Rip
Learning from Scuds?

What's great for the Pens is that our best players are all just in the early parts of their prime, whereas we haven't had more quality prospects coming in for as long as I can remember.

Despres, Bennett and Bortuzzo all look really good this season, and there's a very good D-pipeline not yet in the NHL and plenty of players who look promising for bottom 6 spots.

A team like Edmonton obviously have way more explosive young talent on entry level deals, but as long as they haven't done anything, I have a hard time calling those guys 'core'.

Tender Rip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:21 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
really? your comparing them to prust, moen, armstrong and borque?, besides borque your standards are low and im not saying those players mentioned are bad players.
Quote:
I really feel as though you have been using the term "core player" too lightly, for example, the Canucks core players are the Sedins, Kesler, Hamhuis, Edler and Luongo. If any of those players go down, we see a significant drop in our play. Guys like Prust, Armstron, and Bourque, Moen shouldnt even be named in these conversations. I dont consider Tarasenko, nor Hubredeau core player atm because of the small sample size. You have to realize that half a season in this shortened season is no the same as half a season in a regular season. It is very possible that players play can drop off.
I think you guys read me wrong and just have hate for me Twisting my words and such...

I'd consider Bieksa and Schneider apart of your core too.
Huberdeau is definitely a core player in Florida. I could see why Tarasenko wouldnt be considered core, but Hub is clearly a core part in Florida.
To prove that we might have to make a list of core players coming from Florida.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:23 AM
Syckle78

Is Pittsburgh core not considered young anymore? I'm taking theirs and not thinking twice about it.

Syckle78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:25 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Is Pittsburgh core not considered young anymore? I'm taking theirs and not thinking twice about it.
I think we would all sacrifice 3-4 years for their quality.
They have it all and even have a bonus number 1 C
number 1 C 2X
Number 1 W
Number 1 D
Number 1 G

Is hockey looking better than ever or are we just overevaulating everybody?

Old
03-16-2013, 01:26 AM
chet1926

I think a bunch of teams have some good young pieces like Edmonton, St Louis, Florida, and Montreal.

I'm biased but I think the Avs are really set for young players especially if we continue our sucking this year and land a top 5 pick in next years draft like its looking to be right now.

We have Duchene (22), O'Reilly (22), Landeskog (20), Varlamov (24), EJ (24) as our main pieces then we have McGinn (24) and Downie (25) as decent support players

We also have Tyson Barrie (22), Stefan Elliott (22), Duncan Seimens (19), Mike Sgarbossa (21) as good looking prospects on the verge of making the NHL.

We have a wild card in Joey Hishon (21), who was a 1st rd pick that hasn't played in 2 years due to a brutal concussion but looks to be close to returning, if he can regain some of his skill you never know as he was looking really solid before the injury. Players like Crosby and Bergeron have shown its possible to come back from that type of injury and play well.

Plus like I said earlier it appear the Avs are headed to a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft which could net us a player like Seth Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan etc.

If the Avs ever get a real coach we have a decent chance to get back to being a real tough team that no one wants to play.

chet1926 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:27 AM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syckle78 View Post
Pens core should be included but crosby and malkin has been good for so long that people forget they are just entering or entered their prime

HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:28 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet1926 View Post
I think a bunch of teams have some good young pieces like Edmonton, St Louis, Florida, and Montreal.

I'm biased but I think the Avs are really set for young players especially if we continue our sucking this year and land a top 5 pick in next years draft like its looking to be right now.

We have Duchene (22), O'Reilly (22), Landeskog (20), Varlamov (24), EJ (24) as our main pieces then we have McGinn (24) and Downie (25) as decent support players

We also have Tyson Barrie (22), Stefan Elliott (22), Duncan Seimens (19), Mike Sgarbossa (21) as good looking prospects on the verge of making the NHL.

We have a wild card in Joey Hishon (21), who was a 1st rd pick that hasn't played in 2 years due to a brutal concussion but looks to be close to returning, if he can regain some of his skill you never know as he was looking really solid before the injury. Players like Crosby and Bergeron have shown its possible to come back from that type of injury and play well.

Plus like I said earlier it appear the Avs are headed to a top 5 pick in this upcoming draft which could net us a player like Seth Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan etc.

If the Avs every get a real coach we have a decent chance to get back to being a real tough team that no one wants to play.
More so with Duchene playing up to his talent now! This kid is amazing.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:35 AM
Curtinho
YNWA

Quote:
Note that its written YOUNG

Outside of Karlsson you don't have YOUNG in your core.
What?

Where do you cut off young? And what do you consider a core player?

For me if I look at Ottawa I see...

Turris, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Smith, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch and Lehner/Bishop (one will go, the other will be part of our core...most likely Lehner). Ottawa's definitely up there near the top...especially because of Karlsson.

Curtinho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Linden

Quote:
I think you guys read me wrong and just have hate for me Twisting my words and such...

I'd consider Bieksa and Schneider apart of your core too.
Huberdeau is definitely a core player in Florida. I could see why Tarasenko wouldnt be considered core, but Hub is clearly a core part in Florida.
To prove that we might have to make a list of core players coming from Florida.
There's no need to play the victim here, nobody hates you, I just disagree with your claim that Gallagher is a core player, when players like Silfverberg, Galchenyuk, and Zibanejad are not. I think there is a flea distinction between core and future core. Young players preforming well can be future core, but without at least year to solidify their impact and role on their team I wouldn't consider them a core player. that is all

Old
03-16-2013, 01:39 AM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
There's no need to play the victim here, nobody hates you, I just disagree with your claim that Gallagher is a core player, when players like Silfverberg, Galchenyuk, and Zibanejad are not. I think there is a flea distinction between core and future core. Young players preforming well can be future core, but without at least year to solidify their impact and role on their team I wouldn't consider them a core player. that is all
Well I guess we will need to agree to disagree.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Linden

Quote:
Well I guess we will need to agree to disagree.
fair enough

Old
03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Mr Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reclamation Project View Post
I consider this our core...

Anze Kopitar - 25
Mike Richards - 28
Jeff Carter - 28
Drew Doughty - 23
Slava Voynov - 23
Jonathan Quick - 27

That's pretty stacked, IMO.
im surprised it took 3 pages for our core to come up

Mr Los Angeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:44 AM
Phion Keneuf
Bang Bang

25 and under

Kadri
JVR
Kessel
Frattin

Gardiner
Rielly

Reimer

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cujomi View Post
What?

Where do you cut off young? And what do you consider a core player?

For me if I look at Ottawa I see...

Turris, Silfverberg, Zibanejad, Smith, Karlsson, Cowen, Wiercioch and Lehner/Bishop (one will go, the other will be part of our core...most likely Lehner). Ottawa's definitely up there near the top...especially because of Karlsson.
So you take :
Silfverber-Zibanejad-Turris
Karlsson-Cowen
Lenher
vs
Brown-Kopitar-Carter
Doughty-Voynov
Quick

Or
Malkin-Crosby-Neal
Letang-Despres
Fleury

Or
Duchene-Landeskog-ROR
EJ-Elliot
Varlamov

Or
Patches-Eller-Gallagher
Subban-Diaz
Price
One is not like the others...

Old
OttawaSenators11
#25 FTW

Not sure who has the best, but many teams have some great core players..

BOS, COL, STL, CHI, LA, EDM, OTT All stick out.

OttawaSenators11 is offline   Reply With Quote