HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Desharnais signed to a contract extension (4 years @ $3.5M/yr)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2013, 01:19 AM
  #576
Rosso Scuderia
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 4,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Ok... The guy has 1 complete season in the nhl and in that season he made 60 points. A lot of you make it sound like it's easy as hell making that much point. It is not.

A lot of you act like he has reached is ceiling and forget that the guy is only in his 2nd complete season. He could and probably will improve.

Desharnais is a consistent offensive threat and cause a lot of penalty for the other team. He is hard to play against because he never gives up on the puck.

Desharnais has a better contract at 3.5 than Gorges at 4 and Moen for 4 years.

The way I see it : if Eller and Galchenyuk develop like we want them to, Plekanec is the odd man out because of his salary.

I'd rather have a 3.5 million Desharnais on the third line in 3 year than a 6 million Plekanec. Pleky is better defensively but in a salary cap structure the 3.5 Desharnais is more useful especially if you count in the fact that on a third line he could still be sheltered and not lose his effectiveness.

I'm disappointed in what I'm reading from a lot of you in here. Like Desharnais didn't prove that he's worth 3.5 million. What the ---- does he have to do to prove it ? A 100 point season ? It's like look at what's happenning on the ice rather than going with the theory. It'd help a lot of you.
Plekanec is more complete and useful to this team than DD.

Just want to make it clear that I don't mind DD's contract at all but I would't get rid of Plekanec because of his contract (which is not THAT much for a 1st line center btw) and give DD the 1st center role. I'd be much more comfortable to have Plekanec-Eller-Galchenyuk as our 3 top center than DD-Eller-Galchenyuk.

Rosso Scuderia is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:23 AM
  #577
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
You can think that, but I disagree, There are a lot of teams out there struggling to score goals, some teams missing top 6 centers who can put up points. If someone is willing to take 2 years of Cole for his current contract then moving DD (if and when we need to) won't be a massive problem. 3.5mill for a player who has put up 50+pts in a season is half decent. Yes, he is 1 dimensional. But with DD you aren't looking for anything other than offense. 3.5 for a pure offensive player isn't that bad and 4 years are not crippling.
Desharnais is a bit weak defensively due to his lack of footspeed, but to be fair, NOT because he coasts or doesn't give an effort. He does hustle and is a team player.

BaseballCoach is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:31 AM
  #578
BaseballCoach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 6,800
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary320 View Post
I have no issue with the dollar worth. With his production, Desharnais deserves every dollar. I'm more worried about long-term, I'm not confident that having Plekanec, Desharnais, Galchenyuk and Eller is 'contender' worthy down the middle. I'm not expecting any of the centers (maybe.. maybe Eller) to be traded any time soon.
On the contrary, in my view.

I think Galchenyuk is the real deal and will be the unquestioned number one center and all-star game player within 3 years.

With Galchenyuk's line drawing the top defensive forwards, DD's line being secondary scoring should do well, and Pleks will hopefully still be a Selke-type player handling defensive missions. Eller will be our Jordan Staal, able to play wing on a scoring line, or even on Plek's wing in a checking role, and yet still be able to move seamlessly back to C if one of the top 3 gets hurt. That is crazy good depth to have.

Eller really does NOT have to worry. Recall the case of Jacques Lemaire. He came up as an offensive centreman on a team that already had Beliveau, Richard and Peter Mahovlich. He played LW for his first 6 years in the league, except for when there were injuries, and finally took his C spot for good around 1973/74. But just because he played LW did not mean his future was ever questioned here. Same with Eller or Galchenyuk today.


Last edited by BaseballCoach: 03-16-2013 at 01:44 AM.
BaseballCoach is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:43 AM
  #579
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,999
vCash: 500
Wow. The things you can read here.

Stafford is a complete player. 3.5M per year is too much for Desharnais. Peverley is a tough player, and 4 years instead of 2 or 3 is a huge concern with a 26 years old player who is entering his prime.

Oh, and the guy who claims that he's the only one to have an IQ over 83 after saying the biggest idiocies in this thread.

3.5M per year for 4 years for a guy like DD is fair. It's a good contract. It's not an underpayment nor an overpayment. It's a fair deal. You got a comparable player in Grabovski in Toronto who gets 5.5M per year.

It's mind numbing how people have no trouble with Gorges getting 3.9M a year for 6 years, yet complain about a 26 years old player who just scored 60 points on a last place team, who's on pace for 50 points+ this season, and who had success everywhere he went. OH, and who happens to have major chemestry with the best winger in our system.

On a regular 23 spots roster, the average cap hit per player is at 2.8M per year. Are you guys suggesting Desharnais isn't worth 700K more than the average player in the league? With the cap projected to go up every passing year of his deal.

You're the best.

As for the 4 years, this contract is in no way impossible to move if anything goes wrong or if we need room on the roster or on the cap.

I think some people here are just way too worried about Eller, some people look like they're Eller fans before being Habs fans, and just can't see their golden boy being behind Desharnais in the depth chart.

Are you guys seeing Bruins fans complaining about Seguin because they have Peverley in the lineup? You need depth at this position. You need all kinds of players on C. And we have a good variety at this position.


Last edited by HiggsBozon: 03-16-2013 at 01:48 AM.
HiggsBozon is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:52 AM
  #580
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy
 
HiggsBozon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,999
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
Plekanec is more complete and useful to this team than DD.

Just want to make it clear that I don't mind DD's contract at all but I would't get rid of Plekanec because of his contract (which is not THAT much for a 1st line center btw) and give DD the 1st center role. I'd be much more comfortable to have Plekanec-Eller-Galchenyuk as our 3 top center than DD-Eller-Galchenyuk.
We don't need to get rid of anybody. That being said, there's one thing about Plekanec. He really disappears when the game gets tougher and more dirty, whereas Desharnais thrives in those kind of games.

People are talking about Plek's two way game, and I admit it's important. Too many people still forget about his tendency to disappear in tough games. Desharnais will always give the 10% extra the team needs to grind it out in the corners. As for Plekanec, I feel like he's much more cautious.

It's good to talk about the flaws of one player, but it's another story to be fair and talk about the flaws of both... And at this level, both of these players have strength and flaws of their own.

HiggsBozon is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 02:54 AM
  #581
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,290
vCash: 500
The idea that DD is nothing but a liability on defenses is also ludicrous. He is clever in his positioning, and has very agile hands that let him steal the puck and pass it quickly for a zone breakout.

Plus, his neutral zone positioning is top notch.

Most teams will oppose their top shutdown lines against his line, which just improves the opportunities for Pleky and Eller. He's a great cog in our hockey machine and for now shouldn't be moved.

We will see in 2-3 years how Eller and Chuckie will have developed. Until then, why should DD's presence be anything but a big positive?

Also, if any of you people doubt DD's effectiveness in the playoffs, just remember how he clutched against Hulking Boston in 2011! The man has a disproportionately large heart, and I wish we have one like him forever.

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 AM
  #582
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
It's going to be interesting to see how this long term deal affects DD's play.

He's a high compete guy. Having the guaranteed deal should allow him to achieve even greater levels of creativity.

DD's always been a guy who has had a target on his back. He has had to prove himself far more than an average NHLer. He has been in a pressure cooker from the day he started junior hockey. Now he isn't-other than the standard media scrutiny. He has arrived as a bonafide NHLer with a sweet, long term deal.

I expect better things from him. Many players get comfortable with security and stop striving. I believe that the security of DD's deal will not "comfort" him, but rather give him the type of freedom he needs to take his game to the next level.


Last edited by Cyclones Rock: 03-16-2013 at 03:05 AM.
Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:02 AM
  #583
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 9,762
vCash: 500
Gainey would have offered this contract on July 1st.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:14 AM
  #584
Cyclones Rock
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 2,423
vCash: 500
A nice read on DD's humble professional beginnings:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...321/story.html

Cyclones Rock is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:31 AM
  #585
Corncob
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,234
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onemorecup View Post
you can disgaree all you want my friend , did you hear Elliot Freedman on why Cole was traded for Ryder ?

he said according to Dallas , Cole brings more size , grit , wheels , and when he doesnt score at least he brings a big body and drives the net . When Ryder doesnt score he does less and brings less to the table.

But come playoff time , teams want the Coles of the world not DD

Yes teams need some offence but trust me the contenders dont come looking for this player

I agree completely with you that his contract is tradeable and maybe by year 2 he will be get moved to a Columbus type team
Eric Cole's career play off stats:

14 points in 43 games at -8.

Yeah, that's exactly what teams are looking for come playoff time

Particularly laughable when you are using that as a reason why Dallas would trade away Ryder for Cole when (a) Dallas will be lucky to be making the playoffs anytime soon and (b) Ryder has 43 points in 70 playoff games, including 17 in 25 on his way to winning a cup ring.

Corncob is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:35 AM
  #586
FlyingKostitsyn
Registered User
 
FlyingKostitsyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec
Country: Australia
Posts: 8,181
vCash: 827
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy d View Post
Pleks the odd man out.. are you serious? As someone said earlier DD can't carry Pleks jockstrap.You WIN with 2 way player like Pleks, you loose in the playoffs with DD. I've watched most of the games this year and I think I've seen DD throw 2 bodychecks all year.
I sure hope you don't set your expectations in life the same way cause you'll end up quite unhappy. Its not Desharnais' role to throw bodychecks, why even expect him to do it? Not all NHL players are physical, few of them really are. Most superstars aren't what you'd call extremely gritty players, some barely check. Desharnais is good when the puck is controlled by us, we need players like that.

And Plekanec is not a playoff beast. He's reliable, does the job but has never carried the team in that situation. At the same time Desharnais has never had a chance to really show what he can do in the playoffs. He's shown considerable, even outstanding, determination in his career so far so I doubt he disappears then. May I remind you Koivu didn't throw bodychecks, was average at best as a two way player and was never a force physically yet was a playoff machine, so was Cammalleri. These are just examples amongst many.

FlyingKostitsyn is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 05:20 AM
  #587
Turtleneck Plek
Real Life
 
Turtleneck Plek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,219
vCash: 500
I don't mind the contract, it's right in the numbers I thought he would get. However, what I'd like to see is him being tried on the wing. Eller and Chucky have seen their fair share of time on the wing but imo, they are our future top 2 centres. Pleks is still here for a few years (I hope at least) and as many others said, that creates a logjam at centre. To me, DD seems like the player a transition to wing would hurt the least. He could still set-up plays with his great vision and go to the net to get the rebounds. He would probably hurt our forecheck a little bit because of his size but I'd really rather have Eller and Chucky playing centre for us in the long term.

In any case, I'm happy we got him locked this quick, DD is a good player who makes this team better.

Turtleneck Plek is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 05:24 AM
  #588
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Don't mind the deal at all. I actually like it a lot.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 05:27 AM
  #589
habsfanatics*
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 4,984
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by E = CH² View Post
What role is that though ? Defensively reliable shot blocker sidekick to Subban?

He looked terrible away from Subban at the beginning of the year too.

I said ridiculously overpaid but that was probably a bit of an exaggeration.

I just don't think he brings that much to the table. A 6 years deal at 4M is a bit much. I'd have given him less than what DD is making and 3-4 years at most, and certainly not a NTC.

But then again, I am not very high on Gorges contrarily to most here.
Agreed, guys that have zero offensive capability and rely primarily on blocked shots as their number 1 weapon aren't worth 6 year deals imo. I don't care for Gorges either, every team needs a guy like him, but people talk like he's an untouchable when he most certainly isn't.

habsfanatics* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 05:52 AM
  #590
disturbedraven
Lets rock
 
disturbedraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Peterborough
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,058
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfanatics View Post
Agreed, guys that have zero offensive capability and rely primarily on blocked shots as their number 1 weapon aren't worth 6 year deals imo. I don't care for Gorges either, every team needs a guy like him, but people talk like he's an untouchable when he most certainly isn't.
I doubt anyone thinks he is untouchable, but, he does bring a lot to the team. Could we get an upgrade over him? quite possibly. Are we going to upgrade on him? not likely since upgrades over him are few and far between when it comes to availability. The guy is fearless, gives it his all every game. He isn't perfect and some could say he is overpaid if you base the decision solely off of stats. Others can argue that he brings far more to the table than stats can show, which is where the "over payment" may come into play. I like Gorges, and think he brings a lot to the team. I wasn't a Gorges fan when we first traded for him, but he proved me wrong. I'm content with him on the team, but if I can get an upgraded version then I wouldn't be afraid to cut him loose.

disturbedraven is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 06:53 AM
  #591
WhiskeySeven*
Founded: BargainBin
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 18,598
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclones Rock View Post
A nice read on DD's humble professional beginnings:

http://www.montrealgazette.com/sport...321/story.html
I know that Dave Stubbs didn't write the article because we don't find out what Carbonneau's grandchildren are studying and who their favourite One Direction singer is.

Sidenote: I love Carbonneau. His aggregate record with those talentless, young Habs teams was great.

WhiskeySeven* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 06:56 AM
  #592
thefuture13*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
ma boy desharnais gon be cadillac pimpin know im sayin.. he be trippin of them 28" spinning know im saying... them 28" probably be bigga than that shorty know im sayin.. he probably need elevator to get in tha whip know im sayin

thefuture13* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 06:57 AM
  #593
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 9,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I know that Dave Stubbs didn't write the article because we don't find out what Carbonneau's grandchildren are studying and who their favourite One Direction singer is.

Sidenote: I love Carbonneau. His aggregate record with those talentless, young Habs teams was great.
We get it you don't like human-interest stories, you hate David Stubbs.

Some of us do however, find it interesting to learn how hockey players are as people. Dave Stubbs had an excellent Subban piece during the holdout, and a really good Eller piece during the lockout.

DAChampion is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:01 AM
  #594
thefuture13*
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 2
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We get it you don't like human-interest stories, you hate David Stubbs.

Some of us do however, find it interesting to learn how hockey players are as people. Dave Stubbs had an excellent Subban piece during the holdout, and a really good Eller piece during the lockout.
pop pop gun shot gun shot, respect mate fo shawing love to a brotha

thefuture13* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:04 AM
  #595
PricePkPatch
Registered User
 
PricePkPatch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 18,290
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAChampion View Post
We get it you don't like human-interest stories, you hate David Stubbs.

Some of us do however, find it interesting to learn how hockey players are as people. Dave Stubbs had an excellent Subban piece during the holdout, and a really good Eller piece during the lockout.
Indeed. It's sometimes a good thing to tear down the wall that separates the NHL Pro and the man. We too often forget they are human beings.

PricePkPatch is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:16 AM
  #596
rafal majka
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Country: Japan
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
No one is good on the PP anymore because no one gets the puck except Markov and Subban.


This really is not true.
Check out Behind the Net, etc. fancy stats. Desharnais faces much lower quality of competition, he gets much more PP time and gets really pampered when it comes to offensive zone starts. I'm not saying he's a bad player but Therrien employs Desharnais in situations where he is not a detriment to the team (which he is, defensively). Plekanecs and Eller get the tough minutes because they can handle it - Desharnais can't so he doesn't.


Last edited by rafal majka: 03-16-2013 at 07:21 AM.
rafal majka is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:18 AM
  #597
icerocket
Registered User
 
icerocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Atlantis
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,528
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
I know that Dave Stubbs didn't write the article because we don't find out what Carbonneau's grandchildren are studying and who their favourite One Direction singer is.

Sidenote: I love Carbonneau. His aggregate record with those talentless, young Habs teams was great.
Over a steak dinner, for charity of course. Nothing to do with being the biggest cheerleader in the business. Nope none at all.

icerocket is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:25 AM
  #598
Ginu
Registered User
 
Ginu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,029
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by durojean View Post
Ok... The guy has 1 complete season in the nhl and in that season he made 60 points. A lot of you make it sound like it's easy as hell making that much point. It is not.

A lot of you act like he has reached is ceiling and forget that the guy is only in his 2nd complete season. He could and probably will improve.

Desharnais is a consistent offensive threat and cause a lot of penalty for the other team. He is hard to play against because he never gives up on the puck.

Desharnais has a better contract at 3.5 than Gorges at 4 and Moen for 4 years.

The way I see it : if Eller and Galchenyuk develop like we want them to, Plekanec is the odd man out because of his salary.

I'd rather have a 3.5 million Desharnais on the third line in 3 year than a 6 million Plekanec. Pleky is better defensively but in a salary cap structure the 3.5 Desharnais is more useful especially if you count in the fact that on a third line he could still be sheltered and not lose his effectiveness.

I'm disappointed in what I'm reading from a lot of you in here. Like Desharnais didn't prove that he's worth 3.5 million. What the ---- does he have to do to prove it ? A 100 point season ? It's like look at what's happenning on the ice rather than going with the theory. It'd help a lot of you.
This is why people get mad about DD. People make really dumb statements that Plekanec is the odd man out. Plekanec is not the odd man out because he offers a lot more than DD. You can't have DD on a third line because he isn't a strong defensive player. Plekanec is not a 3rd line player and won't be even if Eller and Galchenyuk develop. Negative opinions about DD will continue until opinions like this stop. Extreme opinions spawn and equal and opposite opinions.

DD has to be able to play at both ends of the ice. I like him but some of you have to stop sipping the chez nous kool aid.


Last edited by Ginu: 03-16-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Ginu is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:42 AM
  #599
Bad Natey
#feelthelove
 
Bad Natey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 48,380
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by impudent_lowlife View Post
Check out Behind the Net, etc. fancy stats. Desharnais faces much lower quality of competition, he gets much more PP time and gets really pampered when it comes to offensive zone starts. I'm not saying he's a bad player but Therrien employs Desharnais in situations where he is not a detriment to the team (which he is, defensively). Plekanecs and Eller get the tough minutes because they can handle it - Desharnais can't so he doesn't.
Desharnais does get more PP time, but like I said, our PP relies on Markov and Subban playing hot potato (which is both good and bad, depending on the night). Desharnais was a key piece to the PP last season, but this season, he's basically there to feed it back to the point to set up the Subban shot.

And yes, I know about behindthenet. QoC relates to points, mostly. So a player like Ray Whitney, in theory, would be tougher to play against than Alex Burrows or Ryan Kesler - which definitely isn't the case.

Eller and Plekanec face tougher offensive competition. No denying that. Desharnais and his line can't handle that because they are too offensive minded and they get caught badly. They were playing top offensive competition at the start of the year and Desharnais was a -6. Since playing weaker offensive opposition, Desharnais is a +4, which he is much better suited too.

However, Desharnais frequently lines up against the opponents best two-way line. So pretend Desharnais' line was on a different team. They'd be matched up with the Plekanec line on most occasions.

The offensive zone starts % is very minimal. Plekanec probably starts as many shifts in the offensive zone, but also starts more in the defensive zone. He plays a lot more minutes than Deshanais. Eller is a better comparable and yes, he gets defensive zone starts because he's better defensively and plays tougher offensive opposition.

But I could twist that and say that Eller/Plekanec play lower quality opposition as well, only I would be talking about defensive and not offensive. Eller is usually matched up with a second scoring line, which is generally a little more defensive minded than what Plekanec faces.

The problem with figuring this out is that it's very, very hard to figure out a defensive statistic to use for hockey, which is where there really isn't any statistics out there to figure it out.

Bad Natey is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 07:46 AM
  #600
DAChampion
Registered User
 
DAChampion's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Canberra, Australia
Country: Australia
Posts: 9,762
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
It's mind numbing how people have no trouble with Gorges getting 3.9M a year for 6 years, yet complain about a 26 years old player who just scored 60 points on a last place team, who's on pace for 50 points+ this season, and who had success everywhere he went. OH, and who happens to have major chemestry with the best winger in our system.
Can we please stop praising DD for having dominated the ECHL and AHL?

It's such a weak argument.

He dominated the ECHL at age 22 and the AHL at age 24. O.M.G.

How do you think Galchenyuk would do in the ECHL... at age 19?

How do you think Subban, Pacioretty, and Eller would do in the AHL this year, they're all 23/24?

DAChampion is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:09 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2015 All Rights Reserved.