HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Tired of the Oilers in the lottery?

View Poll Results: Does it annoy you to see the Oilers headed for another potential #1 overall pick?
Yes 222 71.38%
No 31 9.97%
Undecided/ Don't give a **** 58 18.65%
Voters: 311. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-15-2013, 02:08 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leman Russ View Post
If we do pick 1/2 and we do that... I will personally burn down Tambo's house and the Oilers headquarters.
What you don't need more wingers? Every team needs more wingers!

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 02:13 PM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
i'm not so much tired of edmonton getting 1st overall picks, as i am of hearing other fans whine and moan non stop about the oilers picking 1st overall.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
SonOfSmytty

vCash: 500
So sick of it...

I'm an Oil fan and all I hear is 'we just need that defensive D-man', or 'just one gritty forward'. At the end of the day leadership comes from the top, and the Oil haven't seen any for a long time.

SonOfSmytty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:08 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

I don't really care about it being "unfair" or anything. I'd just like to see some more variety of where the top prospects go.

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:09 AM
Homesick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by oilsp1ll View Post
Clearly you don't get it, we're not be rewarded at all. This team stinks. We are Atlanta from the 2000's. Bunch of great offensive players together on a losing team every night with no direction and identity. There is no reward to watching your team get pumped every night. Oilers fans want to be out of the lottery more than any fans of other teams want them to.
You could say we're the Penguins of the mid 2000's #4(Whitney), #1(03 Fluery), #2(04 Malkin), #1(05 Crosby), #2(06 Staal) picks straight
I could bring up Colorado, and Ottawa as well. This is a tired topec

Homesick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:59 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by SillyRabbit View Post
If they keep drafting 1st overall eventually they will start winning.

Look at how Chicago and Pittsburgh's Championship teams were built.

Draft enough top end talent and you will succeed.

Seth Jones would give them the #1 defenceman they solely need.

However I hate to see teams being rewarded for losing, they have enough talent in their lineup already, they shouldn't be the worst team in the NHL anymore.
That's not how Chicago's Cup team was built.

High picks certainly played a key role, but there were only two of them... and in turn just one of those was a first overall. What is Edmonton going on now? 4?

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:14 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post

High picks certainly played a key role, but there were only two of them... and in turn just one of those was a first overall. What is Edmonton going on now? 4?
Yep. Tavares is an Oiler.

Wheatking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:18 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:

That's not really true. From the time they drafted the beginning of their core, Keith, in 2002, they picked 14th, 3rd, 7th, 3rd, 1st, and 11th. They also had an insane number of picks during those years, including 12 second round picks in a five year span. They also picked in the top ten in three of the four years before getting Keith. The Hawks were very bad for a long time and cashed in exactly like the Oilers are trying to do - Chicago just avoided being the very worst most of the time. Big deal.

Chicago already had their top defensemen developing and built a lot of team depth. They only got good when Keith and Seabrook broke out and they added the final pieces, Toews and Kane. The Oilers have a completely opposite set-up as far as personnel they've acquired, and it's arguably a worse way to go, but the path the Hawks took is very comparable to the one the Oilers are attempting right now.

rumrokh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:32 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumrokh View Post
That's not really true. From the time they drafted the beginning of their core, Keith, in 2002, they picked 14th, 3rd, 7th, 3rd, 1st, and 11th. They also had an insane number of picks during those years, including 12 second round picks in a five year span. They also picked in the top ten in three of the four years before getting Keith. The Hawks were very bad for a long time and cashed in exactly like the Oilers are trying to do - Chicago just avoided being the very worst most of the time. Big deal.

Chicago already had their top defensemen developing and built a lot of team depth. They only got good when Keith and Seabrook broke out and they added the final pieces, Toews and Kane. The Oilers have a completely opposite set-up as far as personnel they've acquired, and it's arguably a worse way to go, but the path the Hawks took is very comparable to the one the Oilers are attempting right now.
When we refer to Chicago's Cup team, I assume we're not referring to picks like Cam Barker and Jack Skille. Neither were on the roster when the Hawks won in '10. You're going to list 11th and 14th picks overall... really? Not the lottery as the first poster referenced.

The team that won the Cup had two high picks: Toews and Kane. The next highest was Ladd, who they traded for. After that it was Seabrook at #14, a mid first-rounder.

They built their team through the draft, in-house development, trades, and free agency. In other words, pretty much every avenue possible.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:40 AM
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
When we refer to Chicago's Cup team, I assume we're not referring to picks like Cam Barker and Jack Skille. Neither were on the roster when the Hawks won in '10.
What does that matter? The Hawks were terrible for a long time and got a lot of high picks. The only difference is that they were slightly better than the Oilers have been, and for a much longer period of time (so far).

If you use Chicago as a model, the Oilers should still be bad. And the difference between picking 1st overall and 3rd overall is negligible most of the time because most drafts don't have guys like Crosby at the top.

So, yes, that is how Chicago was built. The fact that multiple high picks of theirs didn't pan out doesn't change that.
I do agree, though, that other management decisions were crucial. Acquiring guys like Sharp and Campbell and signing Hossa and hiring Quenneville, as the biggest examples. Edmonton needs to start doing those things this offseason in order to attain upward movement.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:47 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
When we refer to Chicago's Cup team, I assume we're not referring to picks like Cam Barker and Jack Skille. Neither were on the roster when the Hawks won in '10. You're going to list 11th and 14th picks overall... really? Not the lottery as the first poster referenced.

The team that won the Cup had two high picks: Toews and Kane. The next highest was Ladd, who they traded for. After that it was Seabrook at #14, a mid first-rounder.

They built their team through the draft, in-house development, trades, and free agency. In other words, pretty much every avenue possible.
Who's to say the Oilers don't eventually make similar moves? The point of bringing up Cam Barker is that he was drafted 3rd overall in 2004. 2-3 years later they were still in a position to draft Toews and Kane. Six years after their first top 3 pick they won the cup.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:56 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Admittedly I'm confused and have no idea what Barker, Skille, et. all had to do with the 2010 roster, but undoubtedly fans of other teams than the Hawks know much better than I do.

When referring to how a team is "built," do we not talk about how the roster in question came to be? I.e. the 2010 roster had two very high picks, a first-pairing that was developed in-house, big free agent signings in Hossa and Campbell, important draft picks like Bolland and Byfuglien, players like Sharp and Versteeg who were traded for...

Old
03-16-2013, 01:59 AM
Soundwave

Quote:

They also missed the playoffs for like what? 8 straight years?

They stockpiled a lot of draft picks and hit pay dirt with some of the later ones (ie: Duncan Keith) just as they were getting Kane/Toews so that was fine, but that isn't exactly what I'd call a pain-free rebuild. That was a horrid situation for many, many years.

Edmonton is also not a UFA destination so just signing guys like Hossa (they certainly tried to get him before) and Campbell is unlikely.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:00 AM
vwg*
Scoring Not Allowed

As long as they continue to select flash and pure offense over quality and all-around ability, I don't really care.

vwg* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:04 AM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

I'd like to see what the actual odds would be for a team to pick first overall for a fourth consecutive year. I have no idea how to calculate it or even if it's possible.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Soundwave

Quote:
Originally Posted by visor wearing goon View Post
As long as they continue to select flash and pure offense over quality and all-around ability, I don't really care.
They've taken the general consensus no.1 BPA every time so I don't really see that as meaning much.

Most scouts had Hall no.1, and Nugent Hopkins no.1, and Yakupov no.1. No real surprises.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
rumrokh
I Bleed Blue

Quote:
Admittedly I'm confused and have no idea what Barker, Skille, et. all had to do with the 2010 roster, but undoubtedly fans of other teams than the Hawks know much better than I do.

When referring to how a team is "built," do we not talk about how the roster in question came to be? I.e. the 2010 roster had two very high picks, a first-pairing that was developed in-house, big free agent signings in Hossa and Campbell, important draft picks like Bolland and Byfuglien, players like Sharp and Versteeg who were traded for...
I don't understand how this is complicated. The first suggestion was that if the Oilers continue to finish low in the standings and draft top talent, they'll eventually get good - as the Hawks did. You claimed the Hawks didn't get good that way. The plain truth is that they did. They also just happened to have some bum picks along the way. That doesn't change the fact that they were bad and got high picks for a long time, which is what the Oilers are doing.

The difference between the 1st overall and the 3rd overall is not enough to change that, and even though the Hawks made other moves to climb to the top, that doesn't change the similarity in the foundation: lots of high draft picks, from which elite talent arises.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Chris Hansen
VERSTEEG REDEMPTION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They also missed the playoffs for like what? 8 straight years?

They stockpiled a lot of draft picks and hit pay dirt with some of the later ones (ie: Duncan Keith) just as they were getting Kane/Toews so that was fine, but that isn't exactly what I'd call a pain-free rebuild. That was a horrid situation for many, many years.

Edmonton is also not a UFA destination so just signing guys like Hossa (they certainly tried to get him before) and Campbell is unlikely.
Lol, trust me, I'm fully aware those years were anything but "pain-free."

Doesn't change the fact that the 2010 Chicago team had only two players who were drafted high (excluding Ladd who was acquired in a trade). Team wasn't just built through the lottery - far from it.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:28 AM
HellsBells

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
They've taken the general consensus no.1 BPA every time so I don't really see that as meaning much.

Most scouts had Hall no.1, and Nugent Hopkins no.1, and Yakupov no.1. No real surprises.
Perhaps, but nobody forced the Oilers to use the picks... they could have traded one of those picks to drop down a couple spots.

I'd wager that if any decent GM was in EDM, the Oilers would not have all three of Hall, RNH and Yakupov.

HellsBells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:29 AM
Wheatking

Quote:
Lol, trust me, I'm fully aware those years were anything but "pain-free."

Doesn't change the fact that the 2010 Chicago team had only two players who were drafted high (excluding Ladd who was acquired in a trade). Team wasn't just built through the lottery - far from it.
No offense but if that's the only point you're trying to make, it's kind of irrelevant. Instead of comparing the Oilers to the Hawks that won the cup. Doesn't it make more sense to compare the Oilers(3 years after their first top 3 pick) to where the Hawks were 3 years after their first top 3 pick?

When Tallon walked up to the podium to select Kane in 2007, he didn't have Hossa, Campbell or Ladd. No one had any idea that Keith and Seabrook would eventually become arguably the best pairing in the entire league. Sharp had just had a 20 goal/35 point season. Byfuglien was barely on anyone's radar....and then 3 years later they won the cup. It's amazing how much a team can change in such a short period of time.

So the Hawks may have only had two of their three lottery picks in the line up when they won the cup but three years after their first top 3 pick they were in a very similar situation to the Oilers' right now.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:46 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

2000: Mikhail Yakubov, 10th overall.
2001: Tuomo Ruutu, 14th overall---> Andrew Ladd
2002:Anton Babchuk, 21st overall-->Danny Richmond-->Tim Brent--> FA
2003: Brent Seabrook, 14th overall
2004: Cam Barker, 3rd overall--> Turned into Nick Leddy, who did not play on the Cup team.
2005: Jack Skille, 7th overall, who did not play on the Cup team (and was later traded).
2006: Toews, 3rd overall.
2007: Kane, 1st overall.
2008: Kyle Beach, 11th overall (has yet to play an NHL game).

So through 8 drafts of suckage and the accumulation of high picks, the Cup team garnered Toews, Kane, Seabrook and Ladd.

It got Keith, Campbell, Kopecky, Brouwer, Niemi, Byfuglien, Sharp, Versteeg, Bolland, Hossa, Madden and Hjalmersson through a combination of trades (NONE major), FA acquisitions and later round (crapshoot) picks.

In conclusion, I completely agree with the sentiment that the 2010 Hawks team was a team completely built through sucking and gaining high draft picks.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:52 AM
Finlandia WOAT
Do U Like Quebec?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheatking View Post

So the Hawks may have only had two of their three lottery picks in the line up when they won the cup but three years after their first top 3 pick they were in a very similar situation to the Oilers' right now.
I think his point is that the people who are saying "We'll rebuild like the Pens or the Blackhawks" are ignorant of just how much talent on those teams was acquired that did not involve lottery picks.

As you said, a lot of it involves luck. And it requires a great willingness to improve the team by any means necessary, something that Tambo has shown he is against.

Finlandia WOAT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:42 AM
EchoesoftheEighties
Binary Planets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway to Cap Hell View Post

As you said, a lot of it involves luck. And it requires a great willingness to improve the team by any means necessary, something that Tambo has shown he is against.
Not necessarily against just really, REALLY bad at doing.

EchoesoftheEighties is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:44 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

I think Oilers fans are tired of the Oilers in the lottery.

People continue to act like this is a good thing for them though.

Maybe it's cool the first time, but this idea that sucking for 6 years is some sort of strategy or unfair advantage is so ludicrous.

DEUTSCHLANDWELTMEISTER2014
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:51 AM
Machinehead
RIP Robin Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jag68Sid87 View Post
You know what's funny, everybody craps on Feaster for NOT tanking. At the same time, everybody craps on Tambellini FOR tanking.

Maybe people just have issues with the province of Alberta.
I think there's a middle ground between picking 1st overall every year and trying to convince yourself that you're gonna win with a product that isn't working, hasn't worked, and won't work in the future.

Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote