HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2004 Stanley Cup Finals

View Poll Results: Who were you rooting for?
Calgary Flames 34 31.48%
Tampa Bay Lightning 61 56.48%
No rooting interest 13 12.04%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-13-2013, 08:04 PM
  #51
Stars and Bolts
Registered User
 
Stars and Bolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
Just did this poll on the Oilers boards and they were even more lopsided in favor of the Lightning. Also did it on the Leafs and Habs boards, with the Flames winning big on the Leafs board and steadily on the Habs board.

If you are curious, I did cheer for you guys in the SCF against the Bruins.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:16 PM
  #52
Hammer79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Kelowna
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,975
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
Just did this poll on the Oilers boards and they were even more lopsided in favor of the Lightning. Also did it on the Leafs and Habs boards, with the Flames winning big on the Leafs board and steadily on the Habs board.

If you are curious, I did cheer for you guys in the SCF against the Bruins.
Not surprising. I find the 'Canada's team' effect is more of a cross-conference thing. They don't see the Flames very often, and therefore don't have the rivalry built up. I cheered for Ottawa against Anaheim in 2008, but I bet if you asked the Toronto or Montreal board, they were most likely on board the Ducks bandwagon.

Hammer79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:34 PM
  #53
Ogie Goldthorpe
Piloted Ogre Hog
 
Ogie Goldthorpe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NS via BC
Posts: 2,633
vCash: 500
Sure I hate Calgary, but I'd take them over Tampa Bay or Florida or Carolina or Phoenix (sense a pattern?) any day.

Ogie Goldthorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:39 PM
  #54
StringerBell
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 10,000
vCash: 500
Once the Canucks are out I usually stop following it for the most part and go outside and enjoy the spring. As long as the Canucks are in the playoffs I'll watch as many games as I can, but once they lose my passion for watching hockey goes right down the drain. Just stick to big storyline games and the random pub/bar/restaurant viewing.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:54 PM
  #55
Shareefruck
Registered User
 
Shareefruck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Vancouver, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,333
vCash: 500
The cross-conference thing is definitely a huge factor, but I would most likely cheer against Toronto as well.

And while I like Ottawa/Montreal/Winnipeg and would cheer for them under the right circumstances, I don't think it's a much bigger chance that I would cheer for them than an American team that I also liked. (for instance, if they played against the Bruins, absolutely, if they played against the Red Wings, I'd probably go the other way)

I just find that level of patriotic obligation really stupid. It doesn't/shouldn't matter, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:52 PM
  #56
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer79 View Post
Not surprising. I find the 'Canada's team' effect is more of a cross-conference thing. They don't see the Flames very often, and therefore don't have the rivalry built up. I cheered for Ottawa against Anaheim in 2008, but I bet if you asked the Toronto or Montreal board, they were most likely on board the Ducks bandwagon.
I still don't think the Canucks would win in a poll of Canucks vs. Bruins in any Canadian market except Vancouver and Montreal. And Montreal would be because of their hate of the Bruins.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:56 PM
  #57
Free Kassian
Registered User
 
Free Kassian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Surrey, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,983
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I still don't think the Canucks would win in a poll of Canucks vs. Bruins in any Canadian market except Vancouver and Montreal. And Montreal would be because of their hate of the Bruins.
Yup. This is true.

source: my wife is a Habs fan, she rooted for the Canucks for the first time ever - we've been together for a decade - during the 2011 Finals.

Free Kassian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:57 PM
  #58
Steve Bennett*
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Yes
Posts: 766
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Once the Canucks are out I usually stop following it for the most part and go outside and enjoy the spring. As long as the Canucks are in the playoffs I'll watch as many games as I can, but once they lose my passion for watching hockey goes right down the drain. Just stick to big storyline games and the random pub/bar/restaurant viewing.
I agree with Stringy, I generally could care less once the Canucks are out. I don't think I watched more than 5 minutes of last years' SC final. If the bruins or hawks are still around I'd cheer against them. I worked with this guy last year who was a bruins fan and he was telling me how he hated Canucks fans so much because 'you guys don't even care that you're team is out, you're all just happy that the bruins and hawks are out' - to which my response was 'yeeaaaahhhh the bruins and hawks are out, what a day!' I guess if the leaves oilers or flames (or sens habs rags jets pens kings ducks) are around I'll cheer against them too (hence my cheering for TB in 04 and the tsunamis in 06). I found myself last year kinda liking the Capitals simply because they beat out the bruins...

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:25 PM
  #59
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BrockH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
I still don't think the Canucks would win in a poll of Canucks vs. Bruins in any Canadian market except Vancouver and Montreal. And Montreal would be because of their hate of the Bruins.
Two factors here:
1) Bruins are an original six franchise. Try say...Florida Panthers. I bet you get a different result.
2) A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:46 AM
  #60
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53
 
Virtanen2Horvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 647
Tampa! I know it is a American team but I don't like the Flames much and I know Flames fans so yea. I wish we played Tampa in the final we would have won the 2011 Stanley Cup.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:49 AM
  #61
Anodyne
Registered User
 
Anodyne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,873
vCash: 500
Calgary. But I was a teenager and hadn't been completely overtaken by adult bitterness by that point. I'd probably root for Tampa now.

Anodyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 12:58 AM
  #62
Stories Tales Lies
and Exaggerations
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 2,746
vCash: 500
This has always interested me about Canadian hockey fans, I do not care if you picked my mortal enemy, put him up against an Aussie, and I chair for him every time, could not happen btw because my mortal enemy is probably an Aussie.

True story.

Stories Tales Lies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 08:52 PM
  #63
rebel diamond
Registered User
 
rebel diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Toronto
Country: Trinidad and Tobago
Posts: 5,045
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."
Bingo. I'm pretty sure the average person in Vancouver (the guy who watches playoff games and/or HNIC when it's on but not a ton of other games) would be way into the "CANADA's TEAM" thing, while more involved fans (like people who post on HF) are more predisposed to hold grudges against rivals.

Also, the cross-conference thing makes a bit of sense. I never cheered for Calgary or Edmonton, but I was rooting for Ottawa until Alfredsson shot the puck at Niedermayer after the period ended.

rebel diamond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:16 PM
  #64
Illmatic Stoic
Registered User
 
Illmatic Stoic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,766
vCash: 500
At the time I was a kid and I did want Calgary to win because of the whole Canadian team thing. Now, however, I would want them to get destroyed. The whole support the Canadian team in the playoffs, was never shown for the Canucks during our run...

Illmatic Stoic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:40 PM
  #65
Fat Tony
Registered User
 
Fat Tony's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,963
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrockH View Post
Two factors here:
1) Bruins are an original six franchise. Try say...Florida Panthers. I bet you get a different result.
2) A poll on HFBoards just isn't a representative sample. Fans here are fanatical, and also more exposed to other teams' fan bases. I think the average hockey fan would be more likely to cheer "Canada's Team."
As you can see from my join date, I was not a member here during those finals and I was not a lurker so I don't know what the tenor was here during that time. But from what I gathered from the media and other forums, a general feeling was that the Canucks played hockey the "wrong" way while the Bruins played it the "right" way. Some even went as far as saying the Bruins saved hockey by winning because it meant that teams are less likely to emulate the Canucks.

Fat Tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:43 PM
  #66
PuckZilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flik View Post
Flames. If the Canucks aren't in the playoffs, I usually cheer for any Canadian teams still left.
Same here.. I would really like to see the cup back in Canada. Its been far too long. Of course I would like to finally see the Canucks raising it above their heads. One can only dream.

PuckZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:44 PM
  #67
PuckZilla
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
At the time I was a kid and I did want Calgary to win because of the whole Canadian team thing. Now, however, I would want them to get destroyed. The whole support the Canadian team in the playoffs, was never shown for the Canucks during our run...
Yeah, and there is that as well.

Mixed emotions I have.

PuckZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:47 PM
  #68
25Bieksa3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 350
vCash: 500
Cheered for the Bolts, but I cheered for the Oilers against the Canes.

I just really hate Calgary specifically.

25Bieksa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 09:53 PM
  #69
WonderTwinsUnite
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: North Delta, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
The Bolts

WonderTwinsUnite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:34 PM
  #70
Jay Cee
P4G
 
Jay Cee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Halifax
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,154
vCash: 500
I didn't care. I don't like the flames and my girlfriend at the time was a bolts fan so either way things would have been insufferable. I wasn't going to be upset, but I wasn't necessarily going to be happy with either outcome.

However, for what it's worth I think the average Canadian hockey fan was most definitely in the Flames corner without a doubt. For all the drama from Canucks fans in 2011 on hockey boards and all the delusions of widespread hatred, Canada was overwhelmingly in our corner as well.

Jay Cee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:18 AM
  #71
BrockH
HFBoards Sponsor
 
BrockH's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 2,622
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Tony View Post
As you can see from my join date, I was not a member here during those finals and I was not a lurker so I don't know what the tenor was here during that time. But from what I gathered from the media and other forums, a general feeling was that the Canucks played hockey the "wrong" way while the Bruins played it the "right" way. Some even went as far as saying the Bruins saved hockey by winning because it meant that teams are less likely to emulate the Canucks.
You're right. There's probably a significant (5-30%) of the fanbase who cheered against the Canucks for that reason if otherwise ndifferent. however, I sitll don't think it is the primary cause that engulffs the 'anti-canuck' sentiment across canada. I live in Toronto, hang out with people who play hockey (play 3 days a week on 3 different teams), and by and large, everyeon is willing to cheer with me despite the fact they are not Canucks fans.

BrockH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 AM
  #72
AlainVigneaultsGum
Registered User
 
AlainVigneaultsGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Calgary, AB
Country: Canada
Posts: 642
vCash: 500
Tampa Bay. A lot of people in my town were cheering for Calgary and I wanted to piss them off. lolololol.

AlainVigneaultsGum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 02:08 PM
  #73
Stars and Bolts
Registered User
 
Stars and Bolts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 298
vCash: 500
And now Tortorella is your coach. I bet those of you cheering for Tampa like it even more that they won with since it means a team coached by your future coach beat your biggest rival.

Stars and Bolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:06 PM
  #74
Virtanen2Horvat
BoHorvat53
 
Virtanen2Horvat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,164
vCash: 647
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stars and Bolts View Post
And now Tortorella is your coach. I bet those of you cheering for Tampa like it even more that they won with since it means a team coached by your future coach beat your biggest rival.
Yeah I hope Torts can bring us a cup I know he will push those players like he said, AV never did that so maybe this team will actually make something happen that's if Gillis makes the right moves this summer and trade deadline.

Virtanen2Horvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-27-2013, 04:27 PM
  #75
TTOMO
Registered User
 
TTOMO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Port Moody, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,190
vCash: 500
Tampa, of course. I ain't cheerin' for no Calgary Flames.

TTOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.