HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Yakupov IS going to be the best oiler

Old
03-15-2013, 11:59 PM
Psychoil

vCash: 500
Yakupov IS going to be the best oiler

Don't get me wrong, I love all our kids, I think nuge can perhaps be better than yakupov in terms of potential......but how about this kid? He seems to be getting better every game, he's handling the puck much butter, HE FINISHES HIS CHECKS!!!! (Dear lord thank you for sending us this blessing), and guess what? he's dedicated, he has intensity on every shift.

Theres alot of things this kid is doing right, more right than wrong in my opinion.

What i'm saying is i'm really happy we selected this kid, he's got an awesome attitude that we desperately need here.

btw did anyone see his cele after gagner scored? hahahah kid loves this game like crazy

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:00 AM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Very premature to say that IMO. His rookie season to date isn't that incredibly impressive TBH.

03-16-2013, 12:02 AM
Daryl Katz Fan Club*

People are going to get on him about defense, and I'm not saying he's as good as Bure, but I remember that guy skating around the other team's blue line waving his stick. Scorers want to score, and if you do that everything else is bonus

Daryl Katz Fan Club* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:06 AM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
I think we need to stop insulating him.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 AM
Soundwave

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:09 AM
SchultzSquared

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanbryoil View Post
Very premature to say that IMO. His rookie season to date isn't that incredibly impressive TBH.
Nash Gaborik Marleau Semin Stamkos Havlat M. Michalek all had similar rookie years... not really worried yet... he is going to be a 40-goal guy... at least... if he's not a difference maker by this time next year maybe we start to panic a bit...

SchultzSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Psychoil

Quote:
perhaps it premature, but here in edmonton, we've become experts on young players and their general trend.

There's things I see in yakupovs game that I haven't seen in the other kids, For exmaple tonight, instead of panicing and throwing the puck on net, he skated between some red wings to find the open zone, which shows he really knows how to get to open areas

Psychoil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:22 AM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
perhaps it premature, but here in edmonton, we've become experts on young players and their general trend.

There's things I see in yakupovs game that I haven't seen in the other kids, For exmaple tonight, instead of panicing and throwing the puck on net, he skated between some red wings to find the open zone, which shows he really knows how to get to open areas
He seems like he gets to the open areas when he has the puck, but not when he is looking for that one timer. He will adapt and start finding those seams a little more often.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:01 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

he is a pretty well rounded guy imo.

has an unreal shot, very underrated playmaking, good skating, and the defense will come soon.

i said it before. we got a blessing this summer.

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:07 AM
The Bored Man

vCash: 537
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwave View Post
This is the equivalent of the Tambo grin. All we need now is a fade-in gif version.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:09 AM
Spawn

Nah. Hall is/will be better. Donno about after that though!

Spawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:10 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Hugely talented player. I was blown away the first time I watched him in person at Millenium place in Prospects camp. Head and shoulders the most explosive, dynamic, prospect I've seen here in 20yrs. The last one that dominated that much was Jason Arnott and he was a great player until we rode him hard and put him away wet for a couple years. The Oilers nearly ruined Arnott for hockey. Kid had immense pressure and was being expected to carry the team.

We're doing it much differently with Yak and bringing him along slowly which ultimately is better for him.

Still, in this 20 game stretch I think you have to let the horse run free and throw minutes at him. He's thoroughbred and only gets better with more minutes. People haven't even seen this kid totally wound up yet. Guy plays better the longer he's out there and he's one of those guys that looks pretty normal early but the longer the game goes on he just starts owning. Thats the kind of player he will be.

He'll be gold in a playoff series.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:16 AM
timekeep

Yak and Hall are going to be the two most talented players on this team, IMO. Yak should be the leading scorer in a couple of years and years to come. Yak's desire and enthusiasm for the game is much needed in Edmonton, hopefully it is not reined in one bit. Let him loose.

timekeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:17 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
People don't understand the type of player he can be. This is a guy that will cloak into scoring positions ala Brett Hull and has a killer shot that we haven't seen much of yet. The thing is with Yak is he can have the puck on his stick for maybe only a minute in a game and score two goals. When he starts finding his range and timing here look out. Elite talent.

Hall is going to be more consistent, and I'll still go with Hall, but Yak will be an explosive player and like Hall rounding into a powerforward type player. Lets remember Yak being a rookie and all and doing this much with limited minutes. He's not getting the special ops the uberkids on this team have gotten. He's still producting pretty well and contributing. On the Gagner goal Hall and Yak basically created a goal out of nothing. Just fierce determination from both to get the puck to a scoring area.

btw this may be one of the most special games I've seen from Hall. Detroit played better tonight then they are getting credit for. Hall had a playoff type performance tonight from the opening whistle.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:29 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spawn View Post
Nah. Hall is/will be better. Donno about after that though!
I don't even care. With two guys who need to win as badly as Yak and Hall, at least we can rest on the fact that we should be coming out of the tank soon.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 AM
KarmaPolice
Masterdebater

vCash: 777
Send a message via MSN to KarmaPolice
The one great thing is his attitude. He's a great kid who really wants to get better and help his team. I think he'll become a great scoring winger who's able enough defensively not to be a big liability. I'm thinking someone like a Kovalchuk or Markus Naslund. Maybe that's setting the sights too high, but I think he has the raw skill to be a player of that calibre in time.

KarmaPolice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Don't think he'll be quite as good as Hall, but he'll be right there with him as the first line right winger of this franchise for the next decade. He just needs experience, strength, and the trust of the coach, all of which will come in time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
The last one that dominated that much was Jason Arnott and he was a great player until we rode him hard and put him away wet for a couple years. The Oilers nearly ruined Arnott for hockey. Kid had immense pressure and was being expected to carry the team.
The Oilers didn't do anything to Arnott, he was a classic case of "physically mature, mentally immature" in an era when franchises didn't put as much work into protecting their assets(Pronger is another example from that time, albeit from an even worse franchise). He was overhyped for sure and there was a lot of pressure, but he also had Weight putting up 100 point seasons on the top line in front of him.

The real problem was his inability to deal with super stardom at such a young age, it wasn't until the nightlife started to distract from the hockey that the knives really came out in Edmonton. He was fine in NJ after he had a chance to mature a bit, and would have been fine in Edmonton if the tabloid sports reporters didn't salt the earth against him while he was still here.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:41 AM
Real_Estate-Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarus View Post

The Oilers didn't do anything to Arnott, he was a classic case of "physically mature, mentally immature" in an era when franchises didn't put as much work into protecting their assets
I prefer the earlier years. When the elder (30+) family man Fogolin took them under his wings. Gretzky was respectable - the majority of the rest were party animals. Some were pulled over by the police many times (i.e. the Davie Hunter Special)...

In those days, management only got involved on request or when the police were involved. Their priority was to create a winning team - that philosophy worked quite well...

Real_Estate-Agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:13 AM
JaredCowenFan
Welcome King Leon

Too soon to tell, I agree. Even though the kid can *SNIPE*. He reminds me ALOT of Ovechkin. I know that may be bad in some regards to. I think Hall or Eberle will turn out to be the Captain = Most likely the best. Every player has there own knact/thing.

Hallsy: Speed/Can Control A Game
Ebs: All Around Good Player/Sniper
RNH: All Around Good Player/Playmaker
Yaky: Sniper/Learning Defence
J. Schultz = Explosive OFD/underrated Defensive plays at times

I think Yakupov will turn out to be our best Pure Goal Scorer/Sniper but to soon to tell if he'll be the best. The kid has sure grown on me though, I love all the Oilers forsure but he's probably my 2nd fave after Ebs.

JaredCowenFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Hockey Buddha
Darnell Nurse

Incredible enthusiasm for the game itself. It's awesome to see in him and the other top young players on the team.

Hockey Buddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:43 AM
McRib
2nd Rate Fan

I'm actually surprised that Yakupov has as many points as he does, considering most third periods he's stapled to the bench.

McRib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:26 AM
OiledUp

He still has a lot of junior in him but once he figures himself out he'll be really really good, probably the highest ceiling of all the kids. That talent combined with that desire should be something. I actually think he could be pretty good on the PK as well once he matures a bit, great intensity just needs to learn how to get into lanes, could pot some SH goals in that role.

OiledUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:51 AM
Sethis

vCash: 725
Contrary to what the talking heads say about his attitude problem, I think one of the biggest problems with Yak right now is that he is too nice, and too sensitive to criticism.

He's out there having fun, but more than anyone I can remember breaking into the league recently he is just an overgrown kid. Very innocent, happy-go-lucky way about him. I don't want to say he needs to grow up, because it's refreshing to see someone like Yak and that enthusiasm will always serve him well. But once he learns the way around the NHL world, gains some familiarity with players/systems/teams/rinks/etc., and gets past the asinine media scrutiny, that swagger will serve him well.

He's got everything he needs to be an effective power forward, he just needs the game to slow down and the chops to be 'the enemy.'

And as far as the scoring goes his points-per-game is still roughly equal with Stamkos' rookie year, who was leaned on much more heavily. The Oilers are taking a slower Seguin-ish approach with him--and Yak's still just 7 points from tying Seguin's rookie mark.

Sethis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
Too soon to tell, I agree. Even though the kid can *SNIPE*. He reminds me ALOT of Ovechkin. I know that may be bad in some regards to. I think Hall or Eberle will turn out to be the Captain = Most likely the best. Every player has there own knact/thing.

Hallsy: Speed/Can Control A Game
Ebs: All Around Good Player/Sniper
RNH: All Around Good Player/Playmaker
Yaky: Sniper/Learning Defence
J. Schultz = Explosive OFD/underrated Defensive plays at times

I think Yakupov will turn out to be our best Pure Goal Scorer/Sniper but to soon to tell if he'll be the best. The kid has sure grown on me though, I love all the Oilers forsure but he's probably my 2nd fave after Ebs.
This. And you can put Kovulchuk in there as well. All 3 of these players are explosive and dynamic but how much are they going to help you win?

Don't get me wrong, I do love Yak's enthusiasm and he obviously is extremely talented, but I'll take two Taylor Hall's all day long before one Taylor Hall and one Nail Yakupov.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:15 AM
Hall2Nuge2Ebs

vCash: 50
Hall and Yakupov should be on the same line
We should try something like this for the next game:

PRV/Gagner/Eberle
Hall/RNH/Yakupov

Hall2Nuge2Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote