HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
03-10-2013, 10:55 AM
nexttothemoon
Eight Straight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by New dawn View Post
The Reporters on TSN were questioning why you hire a "prevent a goal" type of coach when you are drafting "score a goal" type of players.
Well... not to defend Krueger because his coaching obviously isn't achieving much at this point.... but ANY coach has to emphasize defense along with offense.

The team that's #2 in the NHL right now offensively... Tampa... is sitting 1 spot below EDM in the standings.

It's not a golden ticket to have a coach who employs "offense first" and "defense second" systems.

I do agree in general though... the team has taken a step backwards offensively this year from Renney.

Last year they were 22nd in goals scored while 5on5 and 20th overall in goals per game. This year they are dead last while 5on5 and 2nd worst overall in goals per game.

Obviously the team is regressing and Krueger's systems have to share the blame along with the players.

They simply are not able to score vs most teams who have quickly figured out how to stop the Oilers offense.

nexttothemoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:00 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
Quote:
Originally Posted by nexttothemoon View Post
Well... not to defend Krueger because his coaching obviously isn't achieving much at this point.... but ANY coach has to emphasize defense along with offense.

The team that's #2 in the NHL right now offensively... Tampa... is sitting 1 spot below EDM in the standings.

It's not a golden ticket to have a coach who employs "offense first" and "defense second" systems.

I do agree in general though... the team has taken a step backwards offensively this year from Renney.

Last year they were 22nd in goals scored while 5on5 and 20th overall in goals per game. This year they are dead last while 5on5 and 2nd worst overall in goals per game.

Obviously the team is regressing and Krueger's systems have to share the blame along with the players.

They simply are not able to score vs most teams who have quickly figured out how to stop the Oilers offense.
You think?

We are currently 29th in G/G (goals per game).

Last year we were 20th.

This is AFTER adding Yakupov and Schultz. We havent been hit particularly hard with injuries. This IS a coaching problem. If Finkle is still coaching this team after the current road trip, then management is even more incompetent than I thought they were, which would be quite an achievement.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 08:47 PM
RisingSun
Registered Potato

vCash: 500
horrible coaching game by krueger today. he has absolutely no faith in Yakupov

RisingSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:12 PM
#ualberta

"We wanted to get 9 pts.With a win in Colorado we have a chance to get 8. We'd be pretty happy considering how things have been."R.Krueger

This quote makes me sad

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:36 PM
Rains

Quote:
Originally Posted by 402 View Post
"We wanted to get 9 pts.With a win in Colorado we have a chance to get 8. We'd be pretty happy considering how things have been."R.Krueger

This quote makes me sad
Yes , very sad indeed

Rains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:37 PM
HopelessOilFan

Quote:

This quote makes me sad
thats pathetic... you shouldn't "want 9 pts" you should want every single one...

I don't know if krueger is actually this dumb, or if he's being forced to play to lose every game by management, but i am ****ing sick of it.

I've disliked a few coaches in the past, but i have never wanted anyone gone as badly as i want krueger canned.

Maybe he's just unlucky timing wise because i had actual expectations for this team this year... but i don't care. If after two 30 place finishes and a 29, you STILL find a way to regress, then you don't deserve to coach.

HopelessOilFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:

This quote makes me sad
Where is this from?

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:45 PM
Sheikyerbouti

Have we had ten practices yet?

Blaming the coach because a bunch of 18-23 yr old kids aren't showing consistency?

After two dozen games it's obvious he's less offensive than Renney and way over his head?

frustration has lead to insanity imo. Two games ago the tone of the forum seemed to absolve Krueger and blame management, now after a hard fought win where we withstood an onslaught by the best team in hockey the coach is the problem.

Seriously you guys think the coaches effect way more than they actually do. Our team has looked very prepared and motivated this year. You are expecting way too much out of this team which isn't going to be that far out of a playoff spot by the end of the year.

Sheikyerbouti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 09:52 PM
ohheyhemsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheikyerbouti View Post

Blaming the coach because a bunch of 18-23 yr old kids aren't showing consistency?

After two dozen games it's obvious he's less offensive than Renney and way over his head?

frustration has lead to insanity imo. Two games ago the tone of the forum seemed to absolve Krueger and blame management, now after a hard fought win where we withstood an onslaught by the best team in hockey the coach is the problem.

Seriously you guys think the coaches effect way more than they actually do. Our team has looked very prepared and motivated this year. You are expecting way too much out of this team which isn't going to be that far out of a playoff spot by the end of the year.
Okay Krueger, we get it, you're on these boards too.

ohheyhemsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:03 PM
hugeegosorry

Quote:

This quote makes me sad
Pretty sure it was Horcoff who said that.

hugeegosorry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 10:39 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

Jesus Christ you guys are hilarious with the anti-Krueger stance.

Other than Tortorella in NY, is there another coach that actually says exactly what he feels?

Krueger has never pretended to be anything but a positive guy. If it's true that the team is mentally weak, as Horcoff said, then why would he criticize them in the media?

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:20 PM
#ualberta

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohheyhemsky View Post
Where is this from?
@GenePrincipe tweeted the quote out.
https://mobile.twitter.com/GenePrincipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
I haven't had a chance to watch the post game videos (studying) i went off a tweet from gene i copied the tweet directly it was said post game today apparently.
Side note: i love your avatar

402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Fuhryous

Quote:
Originally Posted by hugeegosorry View Post
Nope, it was Krueger. Gene now has "R. Krueger" behind the quote.

Fuhryous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:50 PM
4040tee

I didn't start this thread, and my thread got deleted....lol /MODpls

edit: oh wait i DID my bad aha

4040tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:58 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Krueger needs to go. I absolutely question every coaching decision he makes. From benching Harti/Yak to his "positive reinforcement" message.

I don't understand how he got the job as head coach in the first place. He was an associate coach under Tom Renney, couldn't we have just acquired a coach with actual NHL experience?

FIRE KRUEGER!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:

this. 2 dozens games in a weird season. all problems still point to management. If Kruger is the wrong guy, that's managements fault. but, give the guy at least this season and half of the next.

buuuuut. thinking down the road, IF Kruger doesn't work out, then what? I heard Mike Keenan on Tencer last night. I got thinking, could he work here? The coached young teams to the finals. I know you say he didn't work in Calgary, but he was fired by Jerome Iginla (as was Playfair and probably Brent Sutter, too... Iggy runs that organization), which calls into quesiton if it was the right move.

If Kruger doesn't work out, I want a proven coach next. Pat Quinn failed because he was too old. He didn't have the energy to be a coach these days.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Gord
MoneyGuy is smarter

vCash: 1255
Quote:
Our team has looked very prepared and motivated this year.
are you serious? I would argue that in the majority of games the Oilers have been unprepared and not motivated.
this road trip is a perfect example. I don't know when I've seen an Oiler team care as little as this one seemed to, in some of the games. it was brutal.

it's one thing to fight as hard as you can despite not being mature enough or talented enough.
This Oiler bunch lifts their skirts for the opposition on a regular basis.
I think part of it is on Krueger. There have been enough valid quesitons from posters here about his line combinations and use of players that I can see it causing problems on the ice.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:42 AM
jeety mcjeet

Quote:

This quote makes me sad
It shouldn't. A regulation win tonight gives the oil a sliver of hope. Furthermore Krueger is right, given the way this team has played 8 out of a possible 18 doesn't kill the season. If they don't win tonight....

jeety mcjeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:59 AM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post
are you serious? I would argue that in the majority of games the Oilers have been unprepared and not motivated.
this road trip is a perfect example. I don't know when I've seen an Oiler team care as little as this one seemed to, in some of the games. it was brutal.

it's one thing to fight as hard as you can despite not being mature enough or talented enough.
I think part of it is on Krueger. There have been enough valid quesitons from posters here about his line combinations and use of players that I can see it causing problems on the ice.
Yeah, exactly.

The players know there is no accountability or rhyme or reason to the decisions that get made here. They'd have to be dense not to figure this out. Play your heart out for the team for years for big minutes and you just get traded like Gagner. Have a career year and be the best player on your club like Roli or Penner and get traded for whatever the org can get. Be a hard working player on the team for years and and always willing to improve and get show me contracts like Gagner and perennial rumors you're on the way out.

Seriously why would anybody break their back for a club that doesn't reward commitment to team and when they don't have a clue if they're part of a plan or not?

On the contrast this club identifies guys like Dubnyk, Khabi, Horc, to give long contracts to and to keep.

This org has been bad contract/potential buy out city. At least Katz has money.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Yeah, exactly.

The players know there is no accountability or rhyme or reason to the decisions that get made here. They'd have to be dense not to figure this out. Play your heart out for the team for years for big minutes and you just get traded like Gagner. Have a career year and be the best player on your club like Roli or Penner and get traded for whatever the org can get. Be a hard working player on the team for years and and always willing to improve and get show me contracts like Gagner and perennial rumors you're on the way out.

Seriously why would anybody break their back for a club that doesn't reward commitment to team and when they don't have a clue if they're part of a plan or not?

On the contrast this club identifies guys like Dubnyk, Khabi, Horc, to give long contracts to and to keep.

This org has been bad contract/potential buy out city. At least Katz has money.
Dubnyk was given a 2 year deal. I rather do than give up a 1st for Varlamov or 3 picks for Lindback.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:20 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Dubnyk was given a 2 year deal. I rather do than give up a 1st for Varlamov or 3 picks for Lindback.
I'd rather have a real NHL starting goalie. Not somebody that the org force fed to this point hoping somehow, someday, if they threw seasons of games at him he'd ever be a useful starter.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:53 PM
4040tee

All this talk about roster changes to make a winning team are all pointless. It all starts with the coach and whether he runs an offensive system, a defensive system, puck-possession, physicality, trap etc. Then you acquire players to fit the team philosophy. Look at a team like Nashville, many of their forwards would be 3rd-liners on some offensive teams but they are FAST and PHYSICAL. Not saying the oilers neccessarily need to do that, but right now the oilers are just directionless and blind looking to create some unimaginable offensive firepower to **** the world with.

4040tee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
Tedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I'd rather have a real NHL starting goalie. Not somebody that the org force fed to this point hoping somehow, someday, if they threw seasons of games at him he'd ever be a useful starter.
So would everyone but it doesn't come cheap. DD has taken the long road as a highly drafted slowly developed NHL goalie and we have a lot invested in him. It doesn't make sense to bring him all this way to be impatient and cut ties. The alternative is to go and shop for one, and I'm not sure if there is a better option available.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
Up the Irons

vCash: 480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gord View Post

i think it has to do with the players sensing that management is tanking.. again. they look at their competition, every team getting better and bigger while theirs remains too small and gets bullied all night long. they know they're gonna get beat up, they know management wants them to finish low.

i think the team has given up on management. i have never seen such imcompetent management in 35 years of watching hockey.

Up the Irons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:55 AM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 6964
Complete fail by Krueger in the 3rd period vs. Detroit.

He clearly was coaching not to lose.

He changed what was working during the first two periods in the hopes of protecting a lead by playing too defensively.

After the game he stated that was not the plan. Athough the evidence said otherwise.

I think Ralph is over his head coaching this team in this league.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote