HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Lars Eller Thread - Great or Greatest Dane Edition

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 10:27 PM
overlords
Hfboards

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by poetryinmotion View Post
Sounds kinky.
Complete opposite

Old
03-16-2013, 12:37 AM
Mrb1p

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolasprICE View Post
Ferraro said yesterday he projects him as a 3rd liner who'd bea ble to fill in on the top 6. Bitter and envious Mcguire was all cautious about him too (consistency).

I'm not sure why these guys don't give him more benefit. All I see is progression. He is also a late bloomer physically.
Do they want to give Bozak 5m ? Or think Kadri is a elite center?

Old
03-16-2013, 01:36 AM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prallchengher View Post
Eller can be a 70-80 point player if he gains a little awareness and decisiveness.
nah man, never. one, this isn't the 80's, there's not many players that hit this plateau nowadays, and two, he's suffering from a good case of tunnelvisionitis. it can be helped for sure, but helped until he can become a 70-80 point guy?

naaaaah

Old
03-16-2013, 03:03 AM
imisssaku
@imisssaku

The man with the most nicknames.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:55 AM
NLHabsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterDecoy View Post
nah man, never. one, this isn't the 80's, there's not many players that hit this plateau nowadays, and two, he's suffering from a good case of tunnelvisionitis. it can be helped for sure, but helped until he can become a 70-80 point guy?

naaaaah
Well, I think he has peak potential to reach that, but you're right that few players reach that mark in a full season now. But if he can improve to the 60pt mark each season, plus his defensive awareness, will make him a top centerman and big contributor for the Habs. For him to reach the 70-80pt plateau I think will depend on his wingers. If he's playing with star wingers they'll help him add up the extra points. For example, Galchenyuk turns into that top scorer and stays on LW, continuing chemistry with Eller. But I'm not sure he can do it alone, very few in the league now can.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:58 AM
PricePkPatch

Lars Eller - Jacque Martin's greatest development failure?

Old
03-16-2013, 09:22 AM
WhiskeySeven
President of Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
Jacques was a good coach once upon a time but seeing him dick around all our young players was disgusting. He was just not a good coach for us.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Kriss E

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
I disagree. I didn't really agree with how Eller was treated under Martin, but Eller has developed his defensive skills very well under Martin.
In his first season here, his defensive game wasn't all that great. He improved it over time. By his 2nd year, he had become a much more solid defensive center, and once Martin saw it, he started playing Eller versus tougher opposition.
Not only that, but he also gave Eller an offensive winger in AK. Those two along with Moen dominated their opponents and were our hottest trio. They absolutely owned their opposition.

After that Martin got fired. RC came in, banned all creativity from this team and imposed a ''as soon as you have the puck, dump it'' philosophy, to the point where if you had the puck for more than 2-3 seconds on your stick, you'd probably get an earful. He also dismantled that line and put AK with Gomez as a 4th line despite that duo having failed to create much of anything earlier in the year.
RC also decided to make Eller play versus the toughest match up, I remember a game vs Detroit where Datsyuk scored while Eller's line was on, and then he got benched.
Another game, Eller gets benched in the 3rd, not 1sec of play in Overtime, yet he is used as the 3rd shooter in the Shootouts.

RC was a horrible coach. Just flat out bad. His assistant, RL, seemed just as bad with his lame ''mean coach'' attitude. They were awful.

Martin however, I'm pretty sure helped Eller's defensive game. Just look at how solid he is defensively now. That didn't happen this year, and it certainly wasn't under the Randys either.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:42 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I disagree. I didn't really agree with how Eller was treated under Martin, but Eller has developed his defensive skills very well under Martin.
In his first season here, his defensive game wasn't all that great. He improved it over time. By his 2nd year, he had become a much more solid defensive center, and once Martin saw it, he started playing Eller versus tougher opposition.
Not only that, but he also gave Eller an offensive winger in AK. Those two along with Moen dominated their opponents and were our hottest trio. They absolutely owned their opposition.

After that Martin got fired. RC came in, banned all creativity from this team and imposed a ''as soon as you have the puck, dump it'' philosophy, to the point where if you had the puck for more than 2-3 seconds on your stick, you'd probably get an earful. He also dismantled that line and put AK with Gomez as a 4th line despite that duo having failed to create much of anything earlier in the year.
RC also decided to make Eller play versus the toughest match up, I remember a game vs Detroit where Datsyuk scored while Eller's line was on, and then he got benched.
Another game, Eller gets benched in the 3rd, not 1sec of play in Overtime, yet he is used as the 3rd shooter in the Shootouts.

RC was a horrible coach. Just flat out bad. His assistant, RL, seemed just as bad with his lame ''mean coach'' attitude. They were awful.

Martin however, I'm pretty sure helped Eller's defensive game. Just look at how solid he is defensively now. That didn't happen this year, and it certainly wasn't under the Randys either.
Not to impose or anything, but Eller was pretty set defensively from draft day, at least when it came to the tools.

I would say the SEL is the biggest contributor to his Defensive tools, no doubt JM milked those tools.

But I would say that Ellers Defensive game is part of the reason St. Louis drafted him.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:01 AM
jpchabby

Quote:

naaaaah
I agree with you. Not many players are able to get 70-80 points in a season today, and I don't think Eller has the offensive potential to get this kind of production.

But 50-55 point 2-way D seems realistic.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:08 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Probably neither. I don't think he'll ever be an ''untouchable'', but he's not a guy who will be looked at as trade bait either. Just a solid, highly useful piece for the club.

Posting this from the end of the last thread:

Ex-Blues GM Larry Pleau talks about Eller.

http://www.lapresse.ca/sports/hockey...kekalainen.php

Apparently Kekalainen had Eller rated 2nd on the Blues 2007 draft list after Voracek. Hard to believe, but that's what Pleau says.
Link doesn't work now.

Apparently Gauthier wouldn't deal Halak to St. Louis if Eller wasn't part of it. I believe it was John Davidson said Gauthier was adamant about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VikingNuck View Post
Not to impose or anything, but Eller was pretty set defensively from draft day, at least when it came to the tools.

I would say the SEL is the biggest contributor to his Defensive tools, no doubt JM milked those tools.

But I would say that Ellers Defensive game is part of the reason St. Louis drafted him.
More than likely. It seems St. Louis prefers the two-way type players.

I don't remember if it was 24CH, or an interview, but Bergevin said when he took over the job he got the most calls about Eller. So, if Eller's game is picking up like this now, then I think he is slowly sliding into the untouchable part. Though, we won't know until next year when/if Eller is extended long-term.

IMO I hope he is. I'd trade him, but I'd want something good in return and it would only be to the West.

(Sounds like Basshunter... Isn't he Swedish, or Norwegian, or not Danish ?)

Old
03-16-2013, 10:22 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Link doesn't work now.
Fixed it, bad copy and pasting job by me.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:48 AM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Link doesn't work now.

Apparently Gauthier wouldn't deal Halak to St. Louis if Eller wasn't part of it. I believe it was John Davidson said Gauthier was adamant about it.

More than likely. It seems St. Louis prefers the two-way type players.

I don't remember if it was 24CH, or an interview, but Bergevin said when he took over the job he got the most calls about Eller. So, if Eller's game is picking up like this now, then I think he is slowly sliding into the untouchable part. Though, we won't know until next year when/if Eller is extended long-term.

IMO I hope he is. I'd trade him, but I'd want something good in return and it would only be to the West.

(Sounds like Basshunter... Isn't he Swedish, or Norwegian, or not Danish ?)

Haha nice little video of him and his dad, never saw it His dad used to coach my club.. Nice guy, but very fond of the female sex, hence why so few people know Eller also has a bigger brother, Michael Smidt. He does not like his father so he changed his name

And yeah, that is Basshunter and he is Swedish If you wanted to go Danish, there is not as much musical bliss as Sweden has made.

Danish artists that may be known internationally include: Aqua, Ravonettes, Lars Ulrik from Metallica, Junior Senior, King Diamond, Nephew, Ida Corr and I think that's about it

Maybe there are a few lesser known ones

Well as for Eller and a possible trade I wouldn't want him to leave Montreal without good reason, it looks like he is finally getting trusted and gaining appreciation from fans. Ofcourse the Québécois media is still giving him a hard time but that is to be expected

Old
03-16-2013, 11:12 AM
Madam Kadri
Fight, Troll, Score

Quote:

naaaaah
Eller has all the tools to be an elite disher and sniper. 60 points is all but guaranteed with Eller. 70 is a longer shot, but not as long as some folks are thinking. It's all about settling in and getting more icetime.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:13 AM
Rbk
MontrealCulinary*****

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Rbk Send a message via Skype™ to Rbk
Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Someday I just hope to read the Lars Eller thread, Illegal Danish edition

props to anyone who gets that reference
i laughed

Old
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Cupmonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by disturbedraven View Post
Someday I just hope to read the Lars Eller thread, Illegal Danish edition

props to anyone who gets that reference
LOL Oh man. The memories. Them super snacks!

Old
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
rockjngo

I thought Eller was rushed into the league just because he was part of Halak trade. Management wanted to show something for losing Halak. Had Eller spend another year in Hamilton he'll be ready at 22. Now 23 he's got 3 NHL years behind him and we are starting to see the player he'll become. A power two-way center. He might be a good #2 center or a very good #3 center and maybe 60-70 points.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:47 AM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Haha nice little video of him and his dad, never saw it His dad used to coach my club.. Nice guy, but very fond of the female sex, hence why so few people know Eller also has a bigger brother, Michael Smidt. He does not like his father so he changed his name

And yeah, that is Basshunter and he is Swedish If you wanted to go Danish, there is not as much musical bliss as Sweden has made.

Danish artists that may be known internationally include: Aqua, Ravonettes, Lars Ulrik from Metallica, Junior Senior, King Diamond, Nephew, Ida Corr and I think that's about it

Maybe there are a few lesser known ones

Well as for Eller and a possible trade I wouldn't want him to leave Montreal without good reason, it looks like he is finally getting trusted and gaining appreciation from fans. Ofcourse the Québécois media is still giving him a hard time but that is to be expected
You forgot the Danish rockers Volbeat.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by googlymoogly View Post
You forgot the Danish rockers Volbeat.
I wasn't aware they had an audience outside of Europe

Great band btw, I actually remember one of the Danish NHL guys saying they enjoyed Volbeat, just can't remember which one..

Something tells me it's Eller or Hansen.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:49 PM
Et le But

Since being moved off the 4th line, Eller has had the second toughest quality of competition of all forwards outside of Plekanec, and the toughest zone starts outside of the 4th line.

Since being moved off the 4th line, he has also outproduced Desharnais. And before anyone goes there I'm not saying this to attack Desharnais, because DD has been producing at a solid clip himself. But Eller has produced at an even more solid clip. For a guy who supposedly has no vision of passing ability, he's been getting more assists than DD and Plekanec despite rarely playing with a sniper.

For all the talk of inconsistency, he's had maybe one bad game in the past few weeks.

He definitely needs to improve his faceoffs, but he's already better than last year there - he was our consistently worse forward on the dot last year, now he's roughly on the same level as Plekanec and Desharnais - that is, inconsistent. Plus he usually wins the puck back even when he loses them.

Basically, long story short - RDS couldn't be more wrong about him.

Last edited by Et le But: 03-17-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Old
03-17-2013, 02:05 PM
The Russian General
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeySeven View Post
Jacques was a good coach once upon a time but seeing him dick around all our young players was disgusting. He was just not a good coach for us.
But but ... Conference Finals!!1!!11!!!!

Old
03-17-2013, 02:18 PM
DekeLikeYouMeanIt
Ohhhh you mad

Quote:
I wasn't aware they had an audience outside of Europe

Great band btw, I actually remember one of the Danish NHL guys saying they enjoyed Volbeat, just can't remember which one..

Something tells me it's Eller or Hansen.
It's not Eller. He likes electronic, pop and Euro rap

Old
03-17-2013, 02:30 PM
Dekar

In a main board thread today, someone said Pittsburgh has the best 3rd line center in Brandon Sutter. I kept my mouth shut because I know who really is.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:53 PM
ImGoingNucks
A.K.A VikingNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekeLikeYouMeanIt View Post
It's not Eller. He likes electronic, pop and Euro rap
Oh God no

Old
03-17-2013, 02:55 PM
Ice Poutine
Photoshop Nut

vCash: 1000

I had fun doing this..

Last edited by Ice Poutine: 03-17-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Closed Thread