HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Adirondack Phantoms and more (Apr 4. Charges against Nick Cousins are dropped)

Closed Thread

Old
03-13-2013, 04:53 PM
SolidSnakeUS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
In the OHL Eastern Conference vote, Laughton was voted the 2nd best defensive forward and best pker.
Hope this becomes true for the Flyers in the future. A possible steal at #20.

Old
03-13-2013, 07:58 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
Suspended for reaching the 10-fight limit. 4 games due to an instigator occurring on that 11th fight. Returns for the Petes finale on March 17.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/jrh...180043248.html
Thanks

Old
03-13-2013, 08:02 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Hope this becomes true for the Flyers in the future. A possible steal at #20.
Yep, the kid never gives up. Future Watch has him at 35. But if you only count the 18 year olds the kid is in the top ten.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:13 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Stolarz picked up another win. Saved 29 of 30.

Laughton picked up a goal tonight.

Old
03-14-2013, 12:14 AM
daynus

cool man thanx great read

[QUOTE=Roo Mad Bro;61512907]Here's a recent update on Laughton (from today):

SCOTT LAUGHTON (PHILADELPHIA FLYERS), C, OSHAWA GENERALS

6’1, 190 lbs, DOB: May 30, 1994

"If it becomes difficult to define Scott Laughton’s role with the Oshawa Generals, there is good reason for it. Laughton has done just about everything for his team this season. The Flyers prospect excels as a number two centre providing secondary offence yet one might take him for a third line checking forward with the physical play and defensive acumen that Laughton provides. Laughton’s tenacity on the forecheck and his appetite for throwing hits at every turn allows the Generals to pressure their opponents in the offensive zone for the length of his shifts. Laughton’s defensive efforts are rewarded with ample penalty killing minutes which he further justifies by taking away time and space from his opponents. Laughton is a 200 ft player and not surprisingly is very effective through transitions and zone entries. Laughton’s puck skills are often overlooked but his stick handling and speed allows him to bring the puck up the middle of the ice while his vision allows him to find linemates to create scoring opportunities. Earlier in the season, Laughton filled in as the number one centre for the Generals and executed the task admirably, displaying his ability to quarterback the team’s first powerplay unit as well as showcasing his skills in finishing scoring chances."

man we keep hitting home runs drafting forwards. and glad to see ghost is gonna be a playa for us in a few years. and i hope with pronger scouting dmen, we are able to hit some homeruns on d. we gotta to get the cup. pitts has a pretty good stockpile of young dmen, and if we are gonna compete and pass them, we are gonna have to stockpile some good dmen as well. or else we are doomed. we are gonna be sitting here, oh we should make this trade, draft this guy. well lets not talk about our problems, lets fix em and win us some cups. and i promise when that happens, i am gonna grab all my flyers homies is western canada,my buddies in my town,calgary, british columbia,seattle and we are gonna join the party at broad street. and we gonna stay till we run out of beer and cash. and we have deep pockets and big beer coolers.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Stolarz picked up another win. Saved 29 of 30.

Laughton picked up a goal tonight.
Stolarz was star of the game. Glad he is getting plenty of minutes now it will only help him out for his developement. Scott, just needs to add bulk and get stronger. He is a lock for the big club next season if he does that.

Old
03-14-2013, 01:17 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Stolarz was star of the game. Glad he is getting plenty of minutes now it will only help him out for his developement. Scott, just needs to add bulk and get stronger. He is a lock for the big club next season if he does that.
I think it's more likely he'll be on the roster next year than not. He didn't look out of place at all during his 5 game tryout this year.

Old
03-14-2013, 04:28 PM
OzFlyer
Registered Boozer

@BobRotruck
Former ADK D-Man Kevin Marshall has been traded to Toronto in exchange for Nicolas Deschamps. I assume Marshall assigned to AHL TOR Marlies

Old
03-14-2013, 05:32 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
I think it's more likely he'll be on the roster next year than not. He didn't look out of place at all during his 5 game tryout this year.
Laughton has played like a man possessed since returning to Oshawa. He didn't look out of place during his five game stint, but I'd like to see him return to Oshawa and be "The Man" there like Boone Jenner was. I'd like to see Laughton get a full season of being the top dog and seeing how he responds to it first. I think that might suit his long term development a little better. As that article pointed out, he's done so much of everything for the Generals that maybe he would be best served with being put into a single role and letting him run with it. If that means being the top center on the club, then I say let him run with it for the year. It certainly didn't hurt Giroux being in Gatineau for his final season of junior eligibility.

Old
03-14-2013, 08:07 PM
FLYguy3911

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Laughton has played like a man possessed since returning to Oshawa. He didn't look out of place during his five game stint, but I'd like to see him return to Oshawa and be "The Man" there like Boone Jenner was. I'd like to see Laughton get a full season of being the top dog and seeing how he responds to it first. I think that might suit his long term development a little better. As that article pointed out, he's done so much of everything for the Generals that maybe he would be best served with being put into a single role and letting him run with it. If that means being the top center on the club, then I say let him run with it for the year. It certainly didn't hurt Giroux being in Gatineau for his final season of junior eligibility.
Agreed. I'm giving Laughton the 9 game trial and sending him back.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:14 PM
RoDu

Any chance Laughton could develop into our 2nd C and Couts our 3c?

Old
03-15-2013, 03:47 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoDu View Post
Laughton is a very interesting character and I'll explain. He's really had no role since joining the Generals. He's been the top line center, he's been the second line center, he's been the checking center, he's been a point guy on the power play, he's been a penalty kill guy, he's been a last minute/protecting a lead guy, etc....He's really been used all over the place by the Generals and he's really had a "defined" role.

Some say Laughton is a dime a dozen player, but the fact is, nobody really knows what his upside could be simply because of how he's been utilized. Much like baseball has a utility player, Laughton fits that role to a t in hockey. That's part of the reason why I think Laughton should be given a final season in junior of being "The Man" for the Oshawa Generals and see what he can really do as the top dog. It'd probably be best for his development to have him play in one role the entire season to see what kind of upside he really has.

Personally, I love his versatility and what he brings. If you can put him through lines 1 to 3 and he performs in each of those roles, that's an incredibly valuable player to have.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:53 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
B. Schenn?

I don't think there is much in their junior games to suggest that Laughton has a higher offensive ceiling than Couturier. I guess that could change, but it would seem more likely that Laughton develops to an extent that Couturier becomes expendable than it is that he surpassed Couturier on the depth chart.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:56 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Laughton is a very interesting character and I'll explain. He's really had no role since joining the Generals. He's been the top line center, he's been the second line center, he's been the checking center, he's been a point guy on the power play, he's been a penalty kill guy, he's been a last minute/protecting a lead guy, etc....He's really been used all over the place by the Generals and he's really had a "defined" role.

Some say Laughton is a dime a dozen player, but the fact is, nobody really knows what his upside could be simply because of how he's been utilized. Much like baseball has a utility player, Laughton fits that role to a t in hockey. That's part of the reason why I think Laughton should be given a final season in junior of being "The Man" for the Oshawa Generals and see what he can really do as the top dog. It'd probably be best for his development to have him play in one role the entire season to see what kind of upside he really has.
Personally, I love his versatility and what he brings. If you can put him through lines 1 to 3 and he performs in each of those roles, that's an incredibly valuable player to have.
I agree with this. Give him another year to develop his offensive side more. Sign a 4th line C who can win a faceoff to a 1 year deal...like a Gordon.

He certainly has the ability to be our next Read. Can use him everywhere needed.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
Tripod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack de la Hoya View Post
B. Schenn?

I don't think there is much in their junior games to suggest that Laughton has a higher offensive ceiling than Couturier. I guess that could change, but it would seem more likely that Laughton develops to an extent that Couturier becomes expendable than it is that he surpassed Couturier on the depth chart.
I would love for Couts to be flipped for what Staal got. Except instead of another C...it should be a D-man

Old
03-15-2013, 04:21 PM
Larry44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
I agree with this. Give him another year to develop his offensive side more. Sign a 4th line C who can win a faceoff to a 1 year deal...like a Gordon.

He certainly has the ability to be our next Read. Can use him everywhere needed.
Agreed. Let him play as 1C and for Canada at the WJC. There is no need to rush him.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Laughton is coming to the NHL next year for the whole year. Accept it.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:54 PM
MP92

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Laughton is coming to the NHL next year for the whole year. Accept it.
How do you know that for a fact? Are you part of Flyers management? I wouldn't be surprised to see him here next season but don't act like it's carved in stone.

Old
03-15-2013, 06:03 PM
WeekendAtBernies

It's silly to speculate about whether or not Laughton should be given next year in the OHL at this point. He'll have a full off-season of conditioning, a full training camp, and 9 games to show what he's got.

If he looks like he belongs and contribute for more than 10 mins / night he'll be up with the big club and rightfully so. If he looks like he needs more seasoning, he'll be back to the OHL. I personally think he'll stick because of how good he looked in his tryout this year, but I guess we'll see.

Like I said though, it's kind of silly to say what's best for Laughton long term before you even see him in training camp and in the 9 game tryout.

I will say though, I'm excited about Laughton. Think he could be a very nice piece for us. He's been an entirely different player after his time w/ the big club:

Before: 32games, 13goals, 16assists, 29 points, +4
After: 17games, 10goals, 13assists, 23 points, +18

Old
03-15-2013, 08:18 PM
RoDu

Quote:
B. Schenn?
wing I spose

Old
03-15-2013, 08:23 PM
Jack de la Hoya

Quote:
wing I spose
He didn't look that great at wing.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:40 PM
RoDu

Quote:
He didn't look that great at wing.
true, I dunno, looks to be a log jam down the road

Old
03-16-2013, 12:05 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

As high as everyone is on Scott Laughton, there's another player who everyone should keep their eye on as well - Taylor Leier. He's put together a very fine season in Portland and is currently averaging a point per game there. Could be a very nice late round steal.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
As high as everyone is on Scott Laughton, there's another player who everyone should keep their eye on as well - Taylor Leier. He's put together a very fine season in Portland and is currently averaging a point per game there. Could be a very nice late round steal.
Ehh i think he will need to do alittle more than just a ppg. Hoping he gets up higher next season. There are an influx of small ppg players in juniors but its the other things that get them a contract. If im not mistaken he is pretty average in all areas of the game. Hard for players like that to progress.

Dont know, maybe im just being hard but i just see him as a kid who will be a ppg for most part and then not get a contract. Like a david labreque kind of player.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:52 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toothless Couts View Post
How do you know that for a fact? Are you part of Flyers management? I wouldn't be surprised to see him here next season but don't act like it's carved in stone.
It's carved in stone. Right, wrong, or indifferent, the team obviously wanted to keep him here the whole season, but decided burning a year wasn't worth it on the shortened schedule.

Closed Thread