HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

Panic In Leaf Land ? the "Beleafers" vs the "Bereals"

Old
03-16-2013, 01:29 AM
Tak7

vCash: 500
I'm in both camps. Does that count?

Everyone wants to "Be-Leaf". Everyone wants to think that THIS YEAR is somehow going to be different than last year, or the last 10 years. Hope and optimism is what drives sports fans. Without the tease of better days ahead, nobody would watch or invest emotionally into a sports team.

As for being real - I think those people are correctly acknowledging the team's history, and accepting that this team has constantly let us down in the past. The "18 wheeler off a cliff" experience last year scarred a lot of people, and rightfully so. I don't blame those who are borderline "panicking" and taking the "here we go again" attitude, because we are all too familiar with disappointment from this team.

I'm in both camps. I want to believe that this is better than last year, and that this team is good enough to make the playoffs. But I also know that history has taught me that getting too excited about this team only ends badly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aplayaz2000 View Post
you're either a Leaf fan

or you aren't
sorry, simple as that

you either SUPPORT THE CLUB
or you DONT

dont give me ********, yeah i only support the club when they're good
haha, go watch soccer
Off topic, but of all the sports you pick to try and illustrate an example of fans only showing up when a team is winning, you pick soccer?

Do a bit of research, fella.

Tak7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:43 AM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milan90 View Post
I'm in the "stop overreacting to our last game" camp.
My wouldn't THAT be a start?

I had them 9-11 without goaltending, 6-8 with goaltending. So far, pretty much what I expected.

eyeball11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:25 AM
leafspring*

Here is the deal folks. Panic,history will repeat itself,beleafers/berealsis all B.S.

Coming up with a topic that intentionally or not ask for a split is pure and sweet pot stirring.

Does the OP have a iota of a clue what has been going on with the team or is it just cause disention/doubt at all costs?

F.O %?

leafspring* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:27 AM
RonEllisFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by leafspring View Post
Here is the deal folks. Panic,history will repeat itself,beleafers/berealsis all B.S.

Coming up with a topic that intentionally or not ask for a split is pure and sweet pot stirring.

Does the OP have a iota of a clue what has been going on with the team or is it just cause disention/doubt at all costs?

F.O %?

RonEllisFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:33 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonEllisFan View Post
Thats faceoff percentage at the bottom there for a hint for them.

Bozak is killing us: his F.O % lol is 47.941 over the last 10 games with poor defense/no physicality and no production.(he is not a top faceoff man lately either)

Kadri(who gets berated for his F/O % has been46.321 over the last 10 games with a whole lot more jam to his game. This is a problem more highlighted against superion contenders.

Get Bozak to the 3rd line where he belongs and give Kadri his minutes already,and these threads go away. cya.

Last edited by leafspring*: 03-16-2013 at 08:38 AM.
Old
03-16-2013, 08:46 AM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeWantACup View Post
Panic in Leaf Land? As the losses mount we seem to split into two factions, those who are optimistic and have faith and those who expect the worst case scenario. Which one are you?

MP3
http://podalmighty.com/index.php/com...9-leaf-matters

Itunes
https://itunes.apple.com/ca/podcast/...577173646?mt=2

First and last time I listen to this podcast.

You guys sound like the typical radio show with a host that grew up in Alberta that is forced to talk about the Leafs on a call in show where his first on air call comes from some guy from Woodbridge who complains about everything.

I noticed there was no mention of Phaneuf. I wonder why? Maybe because he's actually been playing well.

"We haven't been in the playoffs for 10 years"

LOL

Then you guys have the gall to complain about Leafs Nation crapping on players (using Kadri as an example)....after you've crapped on Kessel, Lupul, Kostka etc......and then follow it up with "the Leafs are only in the spot they're in because the Eastern Conference sucks.

HAHA

"The leafs win when there is no pressure"

Matteo even says that it's typical Leafs to start the season strong and then fall off.

Typical?????? It happened once....last year. Before that it was "oh the Leafs only turn it on at the end of the season when they have no chance to make the playoffs"

I meant to check out your other podcasts but I now refuse to.

You guys are nothing more than knee jerk, can't see beyond the end of your noses self loathing Leaf Fans.

Piece of advice......try to be objective and find some perspective before you commit your thoughts to a podcast.

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

Thanks man , even though you did not enjoy our opinion, I value yours and will take your advice into account.

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by v00d00daddy View Post
First and last time I listen to this podcast.

You guys sound like the typical radio show with a host that grew up in Alberta that is forced to talk about the Leafs on a call in show where his first on air call comes from some guy from Woodbridge who complains about everything.

I noticed there was no mention of Phaneuf. I wonder why? Maybe because he's actually been playing well.

"We haven't been in the playoffs for 10 years"

LOL

Then you guys have the gall to complain about Leafs Nation crapping on players (using Kadri as an example)....after you've crapped on Kessel, Lupul, Kostka etc......and then follow it up with "the Leafs are only in the spot they're in because the Eastern Conference sucks.

HAHA

"The leafs win when there is no pressure"

Matteo even says that it's typical Leafs to start the season strong and then fall off.

Typical?????? It happened once....last year. Before that it was "oh the Leafs only turn it on at the end of the season when they have no chance to make the playoffs"

I meant to check out your other podcasts but I now refuse to.

You guys are nothing more than knee jerk, can't see beyond the end of your noses self loathing Leaf Fans.

Piece of advice......try to be objective and find some perspective before you commit your thoughts to a podcast.
Typical nothing insightful crap is what you are saying? Funny thing bro. You have listened to them 1 time more than me lol. The titles of threads are enough for me to call a spade a spade.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:24 AM
v00d00daddy

Quote:
Thanks man , even though you did not enjoy our opinion, I value yours and will take your advice into account.
I have buddies who get frustrated just like you guys and here's what I tell them

Imagine yourself to be the head coach of a team that is about to play the Leafs.

What would you have to say about the team?

Do you think Claude Noel is saying:

"Ahhh the Leafs are about to fall off the cliff just like they always do"
"Phil Kessel is overhyped and we don't have to worry about him playing a good game"
"Don't worry boys, whether its Reimer or Scrivens, both goalies are easy pickings"

Of course he's not. He's also not pumping their tires.

Noel knows exactly what he's facing in the Leafs tonight.

A team that:
-has gone through a rough patch against good competition in the last 4 games
-is ahead of them in the standings
-can be a ***** to play when they're firing on all cylinders
-and a team that is relatively well coached and more defensively responsible than they've been in years.

Yes...they have their shortcomings...just like most other teams, but he's not going to get wrapped up in their weaknesses. He'll try to exploit them but will also respect what can make them dangerous.

As fans we should be able to do the same.

You guys talked for 20 minutes like there are no redeeming qualities of this entire club outside of Kadri and Gardiner.

Even went so far to "predict" that Nonis and Carlyle will be fired if the Leafs don't make the playoffs.

This is after a 4 game losing streak where 3 of the losses were against 2 of the best teams in the East, and likely top 5 in the entire league.

PERSPECTIVE

v00d00daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:27 AM
LeftTackle51

Panic at every loss and plan the parade after every win crew checking in.

LeftTackle51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:39 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliolemieux View Post
Give me playoffs or Give me MacKinnon.

This. I am tired of this missing the playoffs by 1 point or making a serious push with 20 games left where it is unrealistic chance that we can make it. It's either we start playing for the playoffs from game 1 to game 82 or we go for a solid draft pick. This season we have a chance to make the playoffs but we need to stop looking at this current losing streak and turn it around and win some games and right the ship. We are still well in play for a playoff spot.

Doug Gilmour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:41 AM
WeWantACup
HFB Partner

I understand your point of view. Have you tried Leafs TV? There are a few great programs there voodoo

WeWantACup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:05 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
I understand your point of view. Have you tried Leafs TV? There are a few great programs there voodoo
Just because leafs TV blows smoke up yer arse doesn't mean you guys are goin to blow it in our face,but "i understand yer point"? no i don't really just kiddin.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:41 AM
tmlfan98
Disappointed

Beleafer 4 life

tmlfan98 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:01 AM
leafspring*

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmlfan98 View Post
Beleafer 4 life
Fortunately we are having our first drought in wins this late in a compressed season come when Frattin/Lupul are returning.That alone helps but, we just handily out played the Penguins in a unfortunate loss. Confidence shouldn't be a concern after playing well enough to win.

The line-up is strengthened at the right time.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:08 AM
Vintage Leaf Memories

Any time you are part of a venture like a for-fun "podcast" there are those who find it simple or boring or out of touch or biased or whatever. That's the nature of things. Matteo and I get that.

The funny thing is, when I hear the criticisms, I think back to the fifty plus years I've been following the Leafs. I've observed the team, all the different administrations and ownerships. I've written hundreds of pieces about the team. I've also interviewed literally hundreds (probably thousands) of athletes, at length, over the past 35+ years.

Professionally I've worked with all kinds of athletes and NHL coaches and I know that when you put yourself out there, some people just won't like you. It's much like that great "Frasier" TV episode years ago when they conducted a "focus group" and one guy hated Frasier. He freaked out because he couldn't handle the idea that someone just "didn't like" him.

There's more than one person who doesn't or won't like our show! The list will grow, I'm sure. And they won't tune in again, and that's the great thing. People have a choice and when we don't like something, we never have to listen again.

The answer for those who don't like the threads that Matteo starts is to ignore them, if you find them divisive or intentionally out to attract attention.

One of the points of the blogosphere or "talk radio" or even podcasts is to generate topics that people may want to chat about and bat around. It's hardly life and death. Matteo and I don't "care" if there is any panic with Leaf fans. We're just chatting about stuff that people are talking about. And talking about the team.

If people hate the topics, or the show, it's easy to ignore us. There are all kinds of other hockey and Leaf-related options out there.

We do it for those who do enjoy it, and we've had a ton of feedback from long-time, thoughtful Leaf fans who do like it- a lot.

Hang in, Matteo!

Vintage Leaf Memories is offline   Reply With Quote