Saskatchewan Minor Hockey Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 12:53 PM
mrbodangles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
I am not sure why this is 'news'? They have always had a local content that they had to follow.
i believe the ratio increased last yr & players trying to decide where
to try out might prefer to know in advance

Old
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by coach kleats View Post
We are winding down in Sask Bantam playoffs. I see the GSHL is in thier final series with the Generals and the Maniacs going for the title. Has anyone been out to watch any games that can provide feedback?
Two deserving finalists. While both series were competitive, neither the Maniacs or the Generals were really pushed in their respective series. Give the edge to the Generals in the goaltending department. Morin as been stellar in his last 3 games, but Hobbs has proven to be the best goaltender in the league this year. Led by Holt, Kiryk, and Sweeney, the Generals possess greater scoring talent than the Maniacs. Somewhat mitigating this advantage is the aggressive puck pursuit system the Maniacs enjoy and the the timely scoring they receive from their second and third lines (especially from an unheralded '99 born Derkachenko). Malainey has been strong all year for the Generals on defense (and should be the second defense pick coming from Saskatoon in the bantam draft), but a decided advantage in depth would have to go to the Maniacs with the trio of Leniuk, Hamm, and Prefontaine (best '99 in the league - forward or defense). On paper the Generals would be a slight favourite, but as strong as the Maniacs have played the last few games, I'd say it's a toss-up.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:21 AM
Hockeynoitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiedunnwrotethis View Post
Two deserving finalists. While both series were competitive, neither the Maniacs or the Generals were really pushed in their respective series. Give the edge to the Generals in the goaltending department. Morin as been stellar in his last 3 games, but Hobbs has proven to be the best goaltender in the league this year. Led by Holt, Kiryk, and Sweeney, the Generals possess greater scoring talent than the Maniacs. Somewhat mitigating this advantage is the aggressive puck pursuit system the Maniacs enjoy and the the timely scoring they receive from their second and third lines (especially from an unheralded '99 born Derkachenko). Malainey has been strong all year for the Generals on defense (and should be the second defense pick coming from Saskatoon in the bantam draft), but a decided advantage in depth would have to go to the Maniacs with the trio of Leniuk, Hamm, and Prefontaine (best '99 in the league - forward or defense). On paper the Generals would be a slight favourite, but as strong as the Maniacs have played the last few games, I'd say it's a toss-up.
It will be definatley interesting to see where the Saskatoon players stack up against the rest of the players in the SBAAHL next year if indeed they so decide to join. Will see if staying in the Saskatoon league has hurt them or not as far as developement goes. Time will tell. But it is all good for the league if they do decide to join.

Old
03-08-2013, 12:35 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

Saskatoon, like Regina, is damned if they succeed and damned if they struggle. If they succeed many on this forum will say that 4 teams was not fair -- if they struggle people with point fingers at the development issues with the major centers. Its lose lose for the large centers.

Once again, 50,000 or so per team is not a fair assessment for Regina nor Saskatoon b/c the demographics simply are not the same as many of the other areas. There is no perfect system or perfect number, never will be.

The true measure of success (development) should be the number of kids drafted and the success at the AAA Midget levels and onto Junior. In this regard, Saskatchewan is doing remarkably well.

Old
03-08-2013, 08:47 PM
nah68

[QUOTE=TitanJofaDaoust;61245103].
Once again, 50,000 or so per team is not a fair assessment for Regina nor Saskatoon b/c the demographics simply are not the same as many of the other areas. There is no perfect system or perfect number, never will be.

Well I heard everthing from the saskatoon faithful, first of all its about 67k for people, and if population doesn't mean anything then what does? Oh ya according to SHA it the amount of kids playing per capita, so why the low interest in the game in the bigger centers, would it be cost? In the city you had the ability to stay within your borders, now you will find out how much it costs to travel the sask league.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:23 AM
nah68

Heard Mr. Mann up to his old tricks again? Any one else see the drama unfold in NE vs SV? Can't understand if he acted the way he did why he's allowed to coach!

Old
03-11-2013, 10:42 AM
lefthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nah68 View Post
Heard Mr. Mann up to his old tricks again? Any one else see the drama unfold in NE vs SV? Can't understand if he acted the way he did why he's allowed to coach!
I was there and Mann did nothing ? SV played a good game of hockey , NE is a stronger team but thats the way playoffs work . It makes things interesting in the north and probably makes the south look a lot stronger

Old
03-11-2013, 11:25 AM
beenwatching

Ya I was at the games and didn't see Mann get out of control. It looks like the two week break for West Central and North East while they waited for the first round to complete was their undoing. I'm not sure if earning that first or second spot is worth it come play off time. SV and Battleford definitly looked like a teams on a roll and NE and WC looked like they were coming off a break. Congrats to SV and Bat. for doing what alot of people thought were inpossible.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
Hockeynoitall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook View Post
I was there and Mann did nothing ? SV played a good game of hockey , NE is a stronger team but thats the way playoffs work . It makes things interesting in the north and probably makes the south look a lot stronger
Dont have to worry about Mann coaching NE next year as he has moved on to coach Tisdale AAA Midgets for next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:53 PM
nah68

Quote:
Oh interesting, will drop the topic on him, but my experience with him is with a door closed to there dressing room and at the end of the hall you can still hear the f bombs rolling that kind of coaching is for mature men....not 13 and 14yr old kids! SV was touted as having a weak d and goalies all year, it was there offense that was supposed to make them contenders, from what I can see I think thats not the case. Same with NB, but in there case there offense is cranking out the numbers, hence the reason wc couldn't hold them down. WC played J Close right to the end even though he wasn't playing well in the last game, and what other choice did they have seeing as they never gave there first year goalie a shot against those tougher teams. Either way last four teams in the north were very well matched, makes me wonder though from regular season records what the outcome would have been if WC played SV, and NE had to play NB.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
lefthook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeynoitall View Post
Dont have to worry about Mann coaching NE next year as he has moved on to coach Tisdale AAA Midgets for next year.
That I didnt know ? when did they decide this ?

Old
03-11-2013, 03:44 PM
Hockeynoitall

Quote:
That I didnt know ? when did they decide this ?
Heard through the grapevine yesterday. Will be finalized today.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:49 PM
redtitan20

Saskatoon in SBAAHL??

Any truth to SBAAHL DENYING saskatoons request to join with 4 teams next season? Rumor is it was voted last nite. Now what?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:26 PM
nah68

Quote:
Originally Posted by redtitan20 View Post
Any truth to SBAAHL DENYING saskatoons request to join with 4 teams next season? Rumor is it was voted last nite. Now what?
That's interesting? Probably When did that vote happen? And I'm going to say probably just a rumor.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
TitanJofaDaoust

Quote:
Where there's smoke ... Have you heard what the issue is?

Old
03-16-2013, 11:25 AM
redtitan20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanJofaDaoust View Post
Where there's smoke ... Have you heard what the issue is?
All I heard was the GSHL request was denied by SBAAHL. But don't know why or if its even true. If true I'd have to assume because they fear Saskatoon would be too strong with only 4 teams.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
TitanJofaDaoust

Quote:
All I heard was the GSHL request was denied by SBAAHL. But don't know why or if its even true. If true I'd have to assume because they fear Saskatoon would be too strong with only 4 teams.
Interesting and disappointing if true. We've competed fairly with 3 teams in Regina. 4 teams seems like the right number in Stoon.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:23 PM
nah68

Please defend your reasoning for only 7 teams with near 60% of Sasks population?

Old
03-16-2013, 07:38 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Please defend your reasoning for only 7 teams with near 60% of Sasks population?
Why hasn't China won a gold medal in hockey? Could be many reasons, but you might want to check out participation rates.
Also - combined - Saskatoon and Regina are closer to 40% of the population.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:10 PM
nah68

Quote:
Why hasn't China won a gold medal in hockey? Could be many reasons, but you might want to check out participation rates.
Also - combined - Saskatoon and Regina are closer to 40% of the population.
Well I'm out 100k on population gshl 270 + Regina 230 is half of population. As for China maybe there turns coming. I'll find out the numbers you may be surprised. You may have to go with 6

Old
03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
dickiedunnwrotethis

Quote:
Well I'm out 100k on population gshl 270 + Regina 230 is half of population. As for China maybe there turns coming. I'll find out the numbers you may be surprised. You may have to go with 6
The 270,00 figure is the metropolitan population (i.e. Warman, Martensville, and all the other bedroom communities surrounding Saskatoon). Their actual combined population is in the neighborhood of 470,000, giving a per team drawing area of 67,000. The provincial population estimate is 1.087 million or 47,000 per team (Notre Dame excluded). So yes, Saskatoon and Regina have larger drawing areas. Given the greater competition hockey faces to attract top athletes in those two centers, is the difference that big of a deal?

Anyway, the more teams, the merrier. I`d like Tisdale and Meadow Lake back too. Probably not going to happen.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:28 PM
PokeCheck101

Four, Five, Six teams.... Get it done already. Base it on the number of kids playing bantam or anticipated to move up to bantam.

You could have a city of 500, 000 with 1 % playing hockey. It's the percent playing hockey. That must determine participation at the elite level.

Saskatoon had one pee wee AA team with one bloody win the entire regular season. Granted they had some success post season. Goal differential of MINUS 75. Now this is one of two things: a) Lack of skilled players, b) Inadequate coaching or both. Bantam was much tighter. But I will tell you, 6 teams at SBAAHL will not equal success. I've heard they are moving ahead with five as agreed by SBAAHL, but I'm not 100% sure. Five in my opinion will not spell great success but we'll see. Good coaching goes a long way.

Completely turning gears now... Pee wee GSHL all star game? This was news to me... Here's a clipping from the GSHL site:

"All players selected to the all star teams were selected by the coaches from their respective divisions!"

I see the nod was given to pretty much every son of a coach. Rightly or wrongly. Folks, you don't even keep recorded stats in pee wee in your league. An all star game? Poor timing too. What is the purpose of the all star game (GSHL backers) at pee wee? Please enlighten me? Common answer will be it is a reward. Is the reward not simply playing elite AA at that level? Who came up with the all star game idea at pee wee? Was it one parent/coach/executive member? Next step, GSHL atom draft to pee wee GSHL. Saskatoon, please relax a bit already.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:29 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
The 270,00 figure is the metropolitan population (i.e. Warman, Martensville, and all the other bedroom communities surrounding Saskatoon). Their actual combined population is in the neighborhood of 470,000, giving a per team drawing area of 67,000. The provincial population estimate is 1.087 million or 47,000 per team (Notre Dame excluded). So yes, Saskatoon and Regina have larger drawing areas. Given the greater competition hockey faces to attract top athletes in those two centers, is the difference that big of a deal?

Anyway, the more teams, the merrier. I`d like Tisdale and Meadow Lake back too. Probably not going to happen.
Dickie, you'd like to see them back, so would I but the reality is it is no fun NOT to be able to compete. At least compete in 50% of your games. Tisdale got hammered at the pee wee AA level. You don't think the parents of the few skilled players they had can't wait to get into the NE bantam team?

Old
03-16-2013, 10:38 PM
PokeCheck101

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosoup View Post
Not hacking on the kids at all, I think the league is hacking on the kids they didn't select to be an "all star". What's the point? Aren't Zones teams enough? At least there is a point to them. Seems like an ego stroke at the expense of the other kids on the team, no?

When they drop to 4 teams next year will they still have an "all-star" game where 1/2 the kids compete? At what point does it enter the realm of the ridiculous?

I guess that's why it amuses me, I think it has crossed that line into being ridiculous at 1/3. But that's my opinion.

I do not have a kid in this league by the way so I have no axe to grind here
I agree no soup. Completely un-necessary. Again I ask, who actually came up with this idea? Gotta be a puppetmaster or two who came up with idea.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:42 PM
PokeCheck101

One final note on the pee wee all star game... I looked at the rosters and conveniently there are five skaters per team on the rosters. Nice and balanced so everyone is happy.

Closed Thread