HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Yakupov IS going to be the best oiler

Old
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Hammer8

vCash: 500
Yak the best player? Not a chance. Hall will be the straw that stirs the drink here, nobody else. I'm concerned about the lack of emotion from RNH but he's only 19, there's more to see so jury is not in yet for me. Yak looks like a keeper regardless. But Hall is THE man. If we could get the rest of the team fired up and driving like he does every game we would have 3-4 more wins this year.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:02 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

I hope he's great, but this team is in trouble if it's best player is going to be one of Hall/Yakupov.

That's no slight to them, but we need RNH to turn into a 2nd-tier C in this game (Thornton/Backstrom/Kopitar/Tavares).

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:04 AM
Stoneman89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychoil View Post
Don't get me wrong, I love all our kids, I think nuge can perhaps be better than yakupov in terms of potential......but how about this kid? He seems to be getting better every game, he's handling the puck much butter, HE FINISHES HIS CHECKS!!!! (Dear lord thank you for sending us this blessing), and guess what? he's dedicated, he has intensity on every shift.

Theres alot of things this kid is doing right, more right than wrong in my opinion.

What i'm saying is i'm really happy we selected this kid, he's got an awesome attitude that we desperately need here.

btw did anyone see his cele after gagner scored? hahahah kid loves this game like crazy

To be honest, I thought a lot of people on here had him as a trading chip to fill in one of the other holes we have.

Stoneman89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:06 AM
Agron
BELIEVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
To be honest, I thought a lot of people on here had him as a trading chip to fill in one of the other holes we have.
yeah i dont see why either. he plays a game that we need. intensity, team game and physical.

we havent seen the beast yet. we need to be patient with him. when he breaks out we are in for something special

Agron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:09 AM
Trafalgar Law
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder View Post
This. And you can put Kovulchuk in there as well. All 3 of these players are explosive and dynamic but how much are they going to help you win?

Don't get me wrong, I do love Yak's enthusiasm and he obviously is extremely talented, but I'll take two Taylor Hall's all day long before one Taylor Hall and one Nail Yakupov.
I would too, but you're never going to get 2 Taylor Halls, he's just such a unique player. Yakupov is the next best thing, IMO in order of importance to the team:

Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Schultz
Eberle
Gagner
Paajarvi

Trafalgar Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
rosemount289

Have to agree!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Bieber View Post
yeah i dont see why either. he plays a game that we need. intensity, team game and physical.

we havent seen the beast yet. we need to be patient with him. when he breaks out we are in for something special
He is still a rookie..........gave him 2 to 3 more years.........Stamkos was not that hot in his 1st year!

rosemount289 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:14 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoneman89 View Post
That has always been and always will be Eberle for me. Ultimate trading chip.

Peaked early, and has high value right now. I feel it's only going to decline as people realize he's not going to get much better than last season.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Hammer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real_Estate-Agent View Post
I I hope he's great, but this team is in trouble if it's best player is going to be one of Hall/Yakupov.

That's no slight to them, but we need RNH to turn into a 2nd-tier C in this game (Thornton/Backstrom/Kopitar/Tavares).
You don't remember a guy named Mark Messier? That's Hall albeit on a lesser scale.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
You don't remember a guy named Mark Messier? That's Hall albeit on a lesser scale.
Lol the weirdest part of your post was when you quoted me it was quoting "Real Estate Agent" - my mind = blown.

If Hall can keep up his passing game the way he has hopefully he can make the move to C - but I don't see the Messier-style C game in him just yet.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Roof Daddy

The thing that I have been pleasantly surprised with is the hard, crisp pass this kid possesses. Everyone talked about the powerful stride, release, one-timer, etc. Basically all the sniper intangibles, but man can this kid put a hard pass on the tape. Best thing about it is those hard passes - if an opponenent gets a stick in the lane - usually deflect up and over the glass instead of being controlled and turned into an odd man rush the other way. With Gagner's RH shot, they could be a lethal pair as their timing and chemistry develop.

Now that being said, I still think The Nuge is the best of the bunch. He has all the elements to become a Datsyuk 2.0 - PPG player with elite D. Whether he reaches that level is another story.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:39 AM
Aerchon

Taylor Hall is already the best player this team has seen since Pronger. I dont see Yak ever being as much of an impact player as Hall.

Aerchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
I hope he's great, but this team is in trouble if it's best player is going to be one of Hall/Yakupov.

If those are all 2cnd Tier C's, who would you consider top flight ?

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:58 AM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin

Mr Forever is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:04 PM
rockinghockey

I have been impressed with Yak so far this year. His defensive game is improving.

I get frustrated with the coaching staff that they are not playing him as much as they should. Our PP is struggling and he is the type of player that should be on the 1st PP. Watching the game against DET it frustrated me that in the 3rd he did not play as much and in the over time they did not put him on at all.

It frustrates me watching Horc and Smyth out in the over time and Yak is glued to the bench.

rockinghockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:05 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Forever View Post
Crosby, Stamkos and Malkin
And Mr. Datsyuk

Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Groucho
Tier 1 Fan

Smyth shouldn't see the ice in OT. He can barely keep up 5 on 5, when the ice opens up 4 on 4 his skating is exposed even worse.

But hey, he's great defensively.

Groucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnoctophas View Post
I would too, but you're never going to get 2 Taylor Halls, he's just such a unique player. Yakupov is the next best thing, IMO in order of importance to the team:

Hall
RNH
Yakupov
Schultz
Eberle
Gagner
Paajarvi
I absolutely agree, I was just making a point referring to the OP as to who was better, Hall or Yak.

Powder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

Quote:
This. And you can put Kovulchuk in there as well. All 3 of these players are explosive and dynamic but how much are they going to help you win?

Don't get me wrong, I do love Yak's enthusiasm and he obviously is extremely talented, but I'll take two Taylor Hall's all day long before one Taylor Hall and one Nail Yakupov.
Uh Kolvachuk was a big part of that Devils cup run last season.

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tad Mikowsky View Post
Uh Kolvachuk was a big part of that Devils cup run last season.
True...and how did that turn out?

You will get many flashes of brilliance from these types of players...but that only gets you so far.

If I have a potential cup winning team and my main piece is one of Kovulchuk, Ovechkin, Yakupov or Hall in their primes, I'm going to go with Hall every time.

Hands down.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:08 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
True...and how did that turn out?

You will get many flashes of brilliance from these types of players...but that only gets you so far.

If I have a potential cup winning team and my main piece is one of Kovulchuk, Ovechkin, Yakupov or Hall in their primes, I'm going to go with Hall every time.

Hands down.
Are you kidding? Them not winning the cup negates his performance?
And how are we talking about Hall/Yakupov's primes when neither of us know how good that "prime" is.

Right now to win a playoff series, I'd take both Kovalchuk/Ovechkin over Hall. Why? Because they've actually won a playoff game, let alone a series.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Are you kidding? Them not winning the cup negates his performance?
And how are we talking about Hall/Yakupov's primes when neither of us know how good that "prime" is.

Right now to win a playoff series, I'd take both Kovalchuk/Ovechkin over Hall. Why? Because they've actually won a playoff game, let alone a series.
No, that's not what I'm saying at all.

This is a discussion about Yakupov and that he is GOING to be the best young player on the team. I disagree, I feel that Hall is going to be the best young player on the team.

I'm only referencing their "primes" based on projections for the sake of the discussion...that is all.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:04 PM
Lewy

I feel fairly confident and have for a while that Nugent-Hopkins will become the best player on the team.

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:06 PM
djdub
#6cups

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
Hall and Yakupov should be on the same line
We should try something like this for the next game:

PRV/Gagner/Eberle
Hall/RNH/Yakupov

Was just going to post this, could even switch RNH and Gags to change it up, these lines are very balanced.

djdub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
Hugely talented player. I was blown away the first time I watched him in person at Millenium place in Prospects camp. Head and shoulders the most explosive, dynamic, prospect I've seen here in 20yrs. The last one that dominated that much was Jason Arnott and he was a great player until we rode him hard and put him away wet for a couple years. The Oilers nearly ruined Arnott for hockey. Kid had immense pressure and was being expected to carry the team.

We're doing it much differently with Yak and bringing him along slowly which ultimately is better for him.

Still, in this 20 game stretch I think you have to let the horse run free and throw minutes at him. He's thoroughbred and only gets better with more minutes. People haven't even seen this kid totally wound up yet. Guy plays better the longer he's out there and he's one of those guys that looks pretty normal early but the longer the game goes on he just starts owning. Thats the kind of player he will be.

He'll be gold in a playoff series.
I second this. Get Yak some minutes and he'll thrive. Kreuger is doing not only Yakupov but this team a disservice by not playing him in the 3rd. I don't understand the logic of shortening the bench when clearly rolling the lines is what's been working for this team, and especially with Yakupov who's been helping to drive the play.

As for best player, they both have great drive but what sets Yakupov apart from Hall is that Yak isn't pouty. It gets Hall off his game, hopefully he grows out of it. Hall isn't afraid of being THE guy though. Once Yakupov stops worrying about whether he's offending anybody by being assertive and playing his game that drive and passion will make him a leader people want to follow. His enjoyment of the game is infectious and it's effect on the team is noticeable. Once he stops trying to put a lid on that fire because a minority of people are uncomfortable with it he'll carry this team and that minority will hopefully realize the issue isn't with Yakupov it's with them.

Right now he's like an exotic sports car with an electronically limited top speed stuck driving in the city.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
frag2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Are you trolling him into saying Seguin?

frag2 is offline   Reply With Quote