2012-13 WHL Regular Season Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-04-2013, 10:28 PM
iCanuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal Canuck View Post
Victoria has lost their last 10 games, a bit depressing.

We we're doing so well and then we just plummeted.
Yeah they won 7 in a row before this losing streak didn't they?

Old
03-05-2013, 10:21 PM
JaredCowenFan
PS4: SenzFan2

Rebels WIN!! A 6-4 victory. Prince Albert looses aswell so we now have a 4 point advantage for that Home Ice in the Playoffs in the Red Deer, Prince Albert series. Great job boys! Keep it up!

Old
03-05-2013, 11:01 PM
JaredCowenFan

HUGE game for Lethbridge tomorrow, a key win if they want any life at a post-season. They take on my Rebels. Spoiling time.

Old
03-06-2013, 12:52 AM
tv14

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredCowenFan View Post
HUGE game for Lethbridge tomorrow, a key win if they want any life at a post-season. They take on my Rebels. Spoiling time.
Ya I think the magic number for Kootenay is 8 points, so any points gained by them or lost by the Hurricanes. Hurricanes are 6 points out but have two games remaining against the Ice (possible 4 points), so its not impossible, but recently the Hurricanes aren't inspiring any hope that they could get in. I think they would have to win 6 of their remaining 7 to get in.

Old
03-06-2013, 11:31 PM
JaredCowenFan

The Rebels with a VERY convincing 4-0 win at Home against the Lethbridge Hurricanes who need to start winning if they want any life in the post-season. Turner Elson with a pair of goals to get him to 25 on the season and I can't stop saying how much I love the Elson/Maxwell/Dieno line. It's a beauty. Wyatt Johnson and Matty Dumba also added in goals. And the man of the hour, he's our heart and soul. Are saviour. He's been there for us through thick and thin. Hoping he goes high in the upcoming Draft. Patrik Bartosak! He shut down the Hurricanes and came out with a 39 save shutout! His 5th on the season. Excellent job boys! That's 4 in a row. We got Lethbridge again on Friday and then Calgary on Sunday. Big game for Lethbridge again. And then if we win that one and possibly the game in Calgary we could have a chance at #3 in the Conference. Things are happening here in Red Deer boys. And it's exciting times!! Wheeeuuu!

The Oil Kings also picked up a double-up win, 6-3. They defeated the Regina Pats. Mikey St. Croix had the Hatty and now has 36 on the season. He also added an Apple and Trevor Cheek added 3 apples. 2/2 tonight.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:08 PM
JaredCowenFan

The Rebels with a HUGE 4-2 win over Lethbridge tonight! Tyson Ness with a pair of goals(16, and 17). Elson and Dieno also had a goal themselves. With that win we claim Home Ice in the 1st Round of the Playoffs and nail down 4th Seed in the Eastern Conference. Excellent job boys!

Also the Oil Kings with a great 3-2 S.O win and claim the #1 seed and signify Home Ice all through the Eastern Conference playoffs.

A great night in Dub Hockey.

Old
03-10-2013, 12:16 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
9-0 Hitmen over Lethbridge? Wow. I guess the Canes really dont want to play in the post season.

Old
03-10-2013, 03:03 AM
JaredCowenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the Liquor View Post
9-0 Hitmen over Lethbridge? Wow. I guess the Canes really dont want to play in the post season.
Dayum.. :S

Well I guess there's always next year?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Turning to good news the Oil Kings with a nice 4-1 win over Moose Jaw tonight in Moose Jaw. Tristan Jarry was in net and made 27/28 saves. He's continued to be stellar. When Brossy is off to Abbotsford he'll take over quite nicely. Trevor Cheek had a pair of goals(30th, 31th), and also Lazar and St. Croix added a goal(Lazar's 36th, and St. Croix's 37th). St. Croix also added an Apple and Wruck and Samuelsson added 2 assists apiece.

Rebels playoff tickets go on sale Monday Morning Sharp. Can't wait!

Old
03-10-2013, 03:33 AM
tv14

Quote:
Its embarrassing. They are 1-8-1 in their last 10 games, in the middle of a play-off race. That's good right?

Old
03-10-2013, 08:55 PM
JaredCowenFan

Rebels lose in a close one to Calgary in Overtime. Matty Dumba had a goal and 2 helpers in his Home town. Atleast we picked up a point, we now have 85. Nice try boys. Next up we have a Home in Home against the Oil Kings to finish off the regular season. Let's finish strong!

Old
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
S E P H
@Krzysztof_WHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by S E P H View Post
East
Stays the same in terms of teams.
- I could see Kootenay over take 6th.
- Calgary stays in 3rd.
- Too close to call between 4th seed (whoever gets on fastest mini streak gets it).
- Swift Current will be 8th seed, but will been one of the biggest dark horse in the playoffs.
Right after I said this, they decide to go on a 3 game losing streak.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Seriously, Shaw is ****ing garbage i haven't had sound now for about 10 minutes and the feed keeps ****ing up.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:43 PM
Stad
@Malkin2Horny

Blades baby!!!

Old
03-13-2013, 03:03 PM
timekeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stad View Post
Seriously, Shaw is ****ing garbage i haven't had sound now for about 10 minutes and the feed keeps ****ing up.
yeh, I had no sound a couple of times. About time they put two of the better teams on TV, unfortunately they picked a night the Oilers were on.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:59 PM
JaredCowenFan

Rebs VS. O-Kings goes tonight in Red Deer. Should be a good game, they always are. A goaltending duel with some great scoring power and defensive players. Hoping for a win tonight for the Rebels and 2mrw the Oil Kings get a 'W' so noone get's a decrease in momentum but if I had to choose just becuase I know the Oil Kings will always come out strong the Rebels could use the confidence and momentum if they get 2 big Wins tonight and tomorrow.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:13 PM
JaredCowenFan

The Rebels fall 3-1 tonight to the Oil Kings. Samuelsson, Reinhart and Lazar score for the Oil Kings and Jordan DePape scores are own goal. His 1st game of the season with us, nice addition that will add a scoring touch with some size. Wasn't Patty Bartosak's fault, we were just outworked.

Let's put out a strong last game effort 2mrw in Edmonton and get a Win to salvage some momentum going into the playoffs. Nice try boys.

Also more so looking like it'll be the Rebels VS. Raiders as the Raiders won tonight 6-5 in Overtime over Saskatoon. But Swift Current is fighting aswell, as they're just 2 points behind the 5th seeded Raiders. I don't know what the tie-breaker is though, we might already be facing the Raiders. Inform me if you know forsure. We will see soon.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:04 AM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
The Rebels fall 3-1 tonight to the Oil Kings. Samuelsson, Reinhart and Lazar score for the Oil Kings and Jordan DePape scores are own goal. His 1st game of the season with us, nice addition that will add a scoring touch with some size. Wasn't Patty Bartosak's fault, we were just outworked.

Let's put out a strong last game effort 2mrw in Edmonton and get a Win to salvage some momentum going into the playoffs. Nice try boys.

Also more so looking like it'll be the Rebels VS. Raiders as the Raiders won tonight 6-5 in Overtime over Saskatoon. But Swift Current is fighting aswell, as they're just 2 points behind the 5th seeded Raiders. I don't know what the tie-breaker is though, we might already be facing the Raiders. Inform me if you know forsure. We will see soon.
Hey man, don't know tiebreakers, but as a Raiders fan who hasn't seen the Rebels somehow this year, care to give me a scouting report on your team? I'm just curious on what I'll be seeing.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 AM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Royals win their last home game of the year 4-1 over the Silvertips, Hicketts and Fransoo with 2 goals each, Hodges with 3 assists. Coleman Vollrath shut the door big time, made a few monster saves throughout the game to keep the Royals in it. Austin Carroll beat the pulp out of an Everett player late in the 2nd.

The only reason they won was because the HFB WHL Moderator was in attendance.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Old
03-16-2013, 03:05 AM
JaredCowenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Hey man, don't know tiebreakers, but as a Raiders fan who hasn't seen the Rebels somehow this year, care to give me a scouting report on your team? I'm just curious on what I'll be seeing.
Yeah I will, and can I get one on your team, more in depth. I know you have Morrisey, who's a great Offensive D-man and McNeill who's a hard nosed player with some scoring touch.

Rebels Best of the Best and other Stats:

Coach: Brent Sutter
Location: In between Edmonton and Calgary, so you might guess that we're a really big supporter of the Rebels as that's are team here.
Goalie: Patrik Bartosak(Played at the WJ's for the Czech Republic and is arguably one of the best in the League, maybe even CHL)
Captain: Turner Elson. Great leader, the Rebels heart and soul on the Forward Position. Took over for Adam Kambeitz when traded but been a long time Reb. He was signed as a Free Agent by the Calgary Flames. He's kindof like Mc'Neill but I'd say Mc'Neill is better.
Best Sniper/Offensive Player: Rhyse Dieno. Since he came here he has been absolute GOLD, on a line with Elson and Brooks Maxwell(Another young'er 2nd year player who has played amazing and on the line with Elson and Dieno). Dieno never got a chance in Meddy Hat but has been awesome here.
Best D-man: Mathew Dumba. If you're a Wild fan or know about prospects Matty Dumba is the real deal. He was mis-used by the Wild(IMO) when he did make the Wild's opening night roster but didn't play a game, he is still a catalyst on the back end for us.

For years and still aren't a Juggernaut offense and didn't have top 10 scorers and still don't like Edmonton or Portland but the key to our success is TEAM EFFORT. We all as a TEAM get that 'W'. I've watched the Rebels for 16 years now and I can look back to succesful years such as the 2001 Mem. Cup Run and Win and the years back then and then when we had such players as Cam Ward and Phaneuf and even not to long ago when we had Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, I feel like we could be a threat this year. Underdog per-say. I could see maybe 2nd-3rd round(hopefully) but we forsure can't look past Round 1.

In a nutshell a Well-Coached Hard-Nosed working team, not with a huge Juggernaut on offense but a well-rounded team with top players such as Elson, Dieno, Dumba ect and absolute stole-wall goaltending in Patty Bartosak.

I'm sure I'm missing out on some but I covered most, it's late here, lol. I don't know many other's on the Boards from Red Deer or a fan/supporter of the Rebels though so whenever I see one I'm happy. And there you go, lol.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:22 PM
sunsoutgunsout
#redacted

vCash: 100
Quote:
Yeah I will, and can I get one on your team, more in depth.
Right on, thanks man.

Prince Albert Raiders:

Coach: Steve Young
Location: Well, basically nowhere. Hour and a half northeast of Saskatoon.
Goalie: Luke Siemens. This kid carries the Raiders playoff chances. When he's on, I think he can be one of the better goaltenders in the league, but when he's off, literally everything goes in. For example, in two different games against Moose Jaw (obviously a terrible team) he gave up one goal on 35 shots, and in the other game, gave up 6 on 13. If he can put together solid games one after another, the Raiders will give a lot of teams trouble.
Captain: Mark McNeill. At this level, he's a good offensive player, but that's not going to be his bread and butter in the NHL. He already looks and plays like a 28 year old hockey player. Is very strong on the puck, great in corners, great forechecker. Good enough vision, passing, and shooting, but none of them are game changing factors.
Best offensive player(s): I couldn't only pick one, so you get two. First of all, Anthony Bardaro. I don't think he's played a game on the first line since McNeill got back from the WJHC, but he's one of the better second liners in the league. He has really good offensive zone positioning, and a lethal shot. The other is Leon Draisaitl. If you haven't seen him play, this is the guy to keep an eye on. Lately he's been playing 1st line centre (yes, centre, McNeill slides to RW for this kid) with McNeill and Knutsen. Words can't express how highly I think of this kid. He has the best vision I have ever seen in a player this young. Incredible passer, with a bit of a flair for style, as I can't remember the last time he threw a non-saucer pass. He has a very good shot, great positioning in all zones, goes into corners, plays all special teams, and works hard. His only (minor) flaw in my books is his skating. He's a very long strider, and makes big loops instead of stopping and starting.
Best D-Man: Josh Morrisey, and it isn't close. He's not the biggest or most physical player, but he's solid positionally defensively, and is one of the premiere offensive defenseman in the league. You'll probably notice that he doesn't take many slapshots from the point, he prefers taking wristers or snappers to keep his accuracy tight, and they're both hard enough to allow for that.
So far as the rest of the defenseman go.. Yikes. This is where we lose, when we lose. Next best defenseman are probably Ruopp (a glorified fighter) Busenius (decent PMD) and Vandane (he's basically just big [6'6"]).

This team is definitely offense based. McNeill, Draisaitl, Morrissey, Bardaro, Mike Winther, Shane Danyluk, Dakota Conroy, Reid Gardiner, and Chance Braid are all very talented offensive players, and if you guys don't have a good PK unit, you'll more than likely be giving up a PPG a game. (The top unit is McNeill, Draisaitl, Winther, Morrissey, and Knutsen. It's deadly.) A problem with this team, in my opinion, is that they seem to overlook teams. They'll have, for a random example, have two games in three days, one against Regina and one against Edmonton, and get slaughtered by the Pats and then beat the Kings. It's ridiculous, and it's why I'm worried about the first round. The Raids always play their best hockey against the best teams, and don't be offended by this, but I'm scared that they're going to look past the Rebels at Edmonton, Calgary, and Saskatoon.

If you have any other questions, shoot, but I think that was a fairly good summary of the Raids' strengths and weaknesses.

Old
03-16-2013, 06:09 PM
JaredCowenFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by keslersgirl View Post
Right on, thanks man.

Prince Albert Raiders:

Coach: Steve Young
Location: Well, basically nowhere. Hour and a half northeast of Saskatoon.
Goalie: Luke Siemens. This kid carries the Raiders playoff chances. When he's on, I think he can be one of the better goaltenders in the league, but when he's off, literally everything goes in. For example, in two different games against Moose Jaw (obviously a terrible team) he gave up one goal on 35 shots, and in the other game, gave up 6 on 13. If he can put together solid games one after another, the Raiders will give a lot of teams trouble.
Captain: Mark McNeill. At this level, he's a good offensive player, but that's not going to be his bread and butter in the NHL. He already looks and plays like a 28 year old hockey player. Is very strong on the puck, great in corners, great forechecker. Good enough vision, passing, and shooting, but none of them are game changing factors.
Best offensive player(s): I couldn't only pick one, so you get two. First of all, Anthony Bardaro. I don't think he's played a game on the first line since McNeill got back from the WJHC, but he's one of the better second liners in the league. He has really good offensive zone positioning, and a lethal shot. The other is Leon Draisaitl. If you haven't seen him play, this is the guy to keep an eye on. Lately he's been playing 1st line centre (yes, centre, McNeill slides to RW for this kid) with McNeill and Knutsen. Words can't express how highly I think of this kid. He has the best vision I have ever seen in a player this young. Incredible passer, with a bit of a flair for style, as I can't remember the last time he threw a non-saucer pass. He has a very good shot, great positioning in all zones, goes into corners, plays all special teams, and works hard. His only (minor) flaw in my books is his skating. He's a very long strider, and makes big loops instead of stopping and starting.
Best D-Man: Josh Morrisey, and it isn't close. He's not the biggest or most physical player, but he's solid positionally defensively, and is one of the premiere offensive defenseman in the league. You'll probably notice that he doesn't take many slapshots from the point, he prefers taking wristers or snappers to keep his accuracy tight, and they're both hard enough to allow for that.
So far as the rest of the defenseman go.. Yikes. This is where we lose, when we lose. Next best defenseman are probably Ruopp (a glorified fighter) Busenius (decent PMD) and Vandane (he's basically just big [6'6"]).

This team is definitely offense based. McNeill, Draisaitl, Morrissey, Bardaro, Mike Winther, Shane Danyluk, Dakota Conroy, Reid Gardiner, and Chance Braid are all very talented offensive players, and if you guys don't have a good PK unit, you'll more than likely be giving up a PPG a game. (The top unit is McNeill, Draisaitl, Winther, Morrissey, and Knutsen. It's deadly.) A problem with this team, in my opinion, is that they seem to overlook teams. They'll have, for a random example, have two games in three days, one against Regina and one against Edmonton, and get slaughtered by the Pats and then beat the Kings. It's ridiculous, and it's why I'm worried about the first round. The Raids always play their best hockey against the best teams, and don't be offended by this, but I'm scared that they're going to look past the Rebels at Edmonton, Calgary, and Saskatoon.

If you have any other questions, shoot, but I think that was a fairly good summary of the Raids' strengths and weaknesses.
Ok, sweet thanks. Anyway you look at it it will be very entertaining if it is indeed going to happen. Big game for Swift Current and P.A. tonight. I'm guessing whoever wins plays the Rebs and finishes higher than the other. For that matter the Rebels have a big game tonight to as they need to salvage some momentum.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:33 PM
JaredCowenFan

It's official. Bring it on Prince Albert. We'll see you in Round 1 in 1 weeks time.

Old
03-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 7000
My predictions.......

First Round
Edmonton vs Kootenay
Saskatoon vs Medicine Hat
Calgary vs Swift Current
Red Deer vs PA

Portland vs Everett
Kelowna vs Seattle
Kamloops vs Victoria
Tri City vs Spokane

Second Round
Edmonton vs Red Deer
Saskatoon vs Calgary
Portland vs Tri City
Kelowna vs Kamloops

Third Round
Edmonton vs Calgary
Portland vs Kelowna

Finals
Edmonton vs Portland

Old
03-18-2013, 03:00 AM
JaredCowenFan

Quote:
My predictions.......

First Round
Edmonton vs Kootenay
Saskatoon vs Medicine Hat
Calgary vs Swift Current
Red Deer vs PA

Portland vs Everett
Kelowna vs Seattle
Kamloops vs Victoria
Tri City vs Spokane

Second Round
Edmonton vs Red Deer
Saskatoon vs Calgary
Portland vs Tri City
Kelowna vs Kamloops

Third Round
Edmonton vs Calgary
Portland vs Kelowna

Finals
Edmonton vs Portland
Wow, bold. I could see another Edmonton Portland final myself to, yeah. An Oil Kings Rebels 2nd round would be crazy for me. I'll post predictions later.

Does anyone know what round will be broadcasted on Shaw for round 1? I hope it's the Rebels or Oil Kings. So I can watch the Away games.

Old
03-18-2013, 03:41 AM
JaredCowenFan

My 2013-14 WHL Playoff Predictions are:

Eastern Conference:

1st Round:

Edmonton Oil Kings (1) VS. Kootenay Ice (8) - Edmonton wins series 4-1.
Saskatoon Blades (2) VS. Medicine Hat Tigers (7) - Saskatoon wins series 4-0.
Calgary Hitmen (3) VS. Swift Current Bronscos (6) - Swift Current wins series 4-3.
Red Deer Rebels (4) VS. Prince Albert Raiders (5) - Red Deer wins series 4-2.

Western Conference:

1st Round:

Portland Winterhawks (1) VS. Everett Silvertips (8) - Portland wins series 4-0.
Kelowna Rockets (2) VS. Seattle Thunderbirds (7) - Kelowna wins series 4-2.
Kamloops Blazers (3) VS. Victoria Royals (6) -Kamloops wins series 4-1.
Spokane Cheifs (4) VS. Tri-City Americans (5) - Tri-City wins series 4-3.

Eastern Conference:

2nd Round:

Edmonton Oil Kings (1) VS. Red Deer Rebels (4) - Edmonton wins series 4-3. &
Sasktoon Blades(2) VS. Swift Current Broncos (6) - Saskatoon wins series 4-2.

Western Conference:

2nd Round:

Portland Winterhawks (1) VS. Tri-City Americans (5) - Portland wins series 4-3.
Kelowna Rockets (2) VS. Kamloops Blazers (3) - Kamloops wins series 4-3.

Eastern Conference Semi-Finals:

3rd Round:

Edmonton Oil Kings (1) VS. Saskatoon Blades (2) - Edmonton wins series 4-0.

Western Conference Semi-Finals:

3rd Round:

Portland Winterhawks (1) VS. Kamloops Blazers (3)- Portland wins series 4-2.

WHL Finals:

Round 4:

Portland Winterhawks (1) VS. Edmonton Oil Kings (1) - Edmonton wins series 4-3.

WHL Ed Chynoweth Champions:

Edmonton Oil Kings

And there you have it, part of me thinks that Edmonton will prevail once again and capture the WHL Championship for the 2nd year in a row.

The things that sucks is that if Red Deer goes on to beat P.A., which I think they will. It's almost inevitable that it will be an Edmonton/Red Deer 2nd Round, which will suck for me as both are my favorite WHL teams but I think Edmonton will beat Red Deer, but maybe Red Deer can pull out the 4-3 amazing win. Which then will make the Playoffs a whole new ball-game. Either way it's going to be very entertaining. Best of luck to all Clubs and may the best team win.

Oh and I'll also be doing an NHL13 WHL playoff Sim soon, so I'll post those results later. Cheers!

Closed Thread