HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

2013 Official NHL Draft Discussion Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-14-2013, 11:54 AM
OlTimeHockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosie View Post
Tickets have been free for all of the drafts I've attended. I've been able to download them from the host team's website. They are offered to the season ticket holders first. I don't think the teaams realize they could sell tickets to this thing.
If the Isles charged money for this that would be the ULTIMATE show of gall. We give you a losing season and now want money for the consolation prize?

Old
03-14-2013, 02:34 PM
Konk

ESPN Insider Grant Sonier has the Islanders picking...

10 - Alexander Wennberg - New York Islanders
TEAM: Djurgarden (Sweden)HT: 6-1WT: 174POS: C
Pick analysis: Last year, the Islanders selected D-men with all of their seven picks, including No. 4 overall pick Griffin Reinhart, who they expect to eventually play major minutes. Wennberg, who is one of the best two-way forwards in this draft, has size, skill, top skating ability and excellent defensive awareness. A shutdown center is just what the Islanders need to go along with their high-flying forward core.

It's earlier than he's ranked thus far, but Wennberg has very good hockey sense and potential. He would be a solid pick in that range.

Old
03-14-2013, 03:09 PM
Beastrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konk View Post

Pick analysis: Last year, the Islanders selected D-men with all of their seven picks, including No. 4 overall pick Griffin Reinhart, who they expect to eventually play major minutes. Wennberg, who is one of the best two-way forwards in this draft, has size, skill, top skating ability and excellent defensive awareness. A shutdown center is just what the Islanders need to go along with their high-flying forward core.

It's earlier than he's ranked thus far, but Wennberg has very good hockey sense and potential. He would be a solid pick in that range.
I saw this also and dont know about this pick, with Nurse and Pulock still on the board as well as Erne. Ths islanders dont need to reach on this pick the bpa regardless of position or trade the pick.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:13 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:

We need a winger who can snipe in te worst way(Shinkurak) and/or a highly potential dman....imo

The only way I would pick a center is if Mackinnon or Barkov are on the Board and Jones and Drouin were gone...

or if a center was clearly BPA then I couldnt argue

Old
03-14-2013, 11:31 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beastrt View Post
I saw this also and dont know about this pick, with Nurse and Pulock still on the board as well as Erne. Ths islanders dont need to reach on this pick the bpa regardless of position or trade the pick.
Pulock will not go top 10. He could go anywhere from 12-16, but I wouldn't be surprised if it were in the latter part of that range. He's a little overrated on this board.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:39 PM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
We need a winger who can snipe in te worst way(Shinkurak) and/or a highly potential dman....imo
Shinkaruk is one dimensional and although good, you don't decide draft picks on need.
Quote:
The only way I would pick a center is if Mackinnon or Barkov are on the Board and Jones and Drouin were gone...
Wennberg plays every position.

I honestly believe this draft is a lot weaker than most expect and like always, people forget its about projection not who's the best player now.

Old
03-15-2013, 08:23 AM
duster19

Quote:

or if a center was clearly BPA then I couldnt argue
plays alot of wing as well. If Makinnon drops to 3rd and we have an extra 1st (from some kind of deadline deal), I would see if that would be enough to get me to #3 overall. Loads of potential there.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:17 AM
Beastrt

Quote:

Wennberg plays every position.

I honestly believe this draft is a lot weaker than most expect and like always, people forget its about projection not who's the best player now.
The islanders in the first round dont take foreign players period, i dont see that changing unless they play in the chl.

I agree the draft isnt great after the top 10, which is why unless we have a top 8 pick we may outright trade the pick. Unless they believe there is someone who can be a top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:22 AM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Quote:
The islanders in the first round dont take foreign players period, i dont see that changing unless they play in the chl.

I agree the draft isnt great after the top 10, which is why unless we have a top 8 pick we may outright trade the pick. Unless they believe there is someone who can be a top 6 forward or a top 4 d-man.
If we make the playoffs and end up with a mid first rounder i would take a long look at Zachary Fucale.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:05 AM
Dan-o16

Quote:
I completely agree if that player is Russian, playing in the Russian system. I think that's true for a whole bunch of teams. But what reason do you believe for thinking the Islanders wouldn't pick any other European player? I see no reason the Islanders wouldn't pick Barkov, Lindholm, or Ristolainen.

Cheers,

Dan-o

Old
03-16-2013, 07:26 AM
IslesNorway

I don't think they have any preference regarding nationality but a Russian in Russia will fall no matter what but Isles are in a position now to actually pick one of those guys if they fall to them.

If they continue to hover around the playoff spot for the rest of the season i think this may very well be the right time to trade away the pick (and a prospect or two) for some much needed help either on the blueline or on Tavares' wing.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:45 PM
Konk

Quote:
Let's remember this quote come June.

I remember everyone use to say "The Islanders in the top 10 don't take defensemen period".

Look how that turned out last year. Snow's only been drafting for what, five years now? He also hasn't drafted a player from the QMJHL, are we going to go out on that limb and say he won't take Q players in the first round, period?

That's just ignorant.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:56 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:

I remember everyone use to say "The Islanders in the top 10 don't take defensemen period".

Look how that turned out last year. Snow's only been drafting for what, five years now? He also hasn't drafted a player from the QMJHL, are we going to go out on that limb and say he won't take Q players in the first round, period?

That's just ignorant.
You need defensemen. You don't need Europeans. That's why your analogy doesn't really work. I do want them to avoid Russians at all costs for the obvious reason.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:44 PM
InformTheMasses

I don't post too many non Islander prospect videos but I'm watching the Oil Kings game right now and 2013 Projected mid first round pick Curtis Lazar just scored a real nice coast to coast goal. Enjoy:

Old
03-16-2013, 09:48 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan-o16 View Post
I completely agree if that player is Russian, playing in the Russian system. I think that's true for a whole bunch of teams. But what reason do you believe for thinking the Islanders wouldn't pick any other European player? I see no reason the Islanders wouldn't pick Barkov, Lindholm, or Ristolainen.

Cheers,

Dan-o
From my understanding when they took Nino(who is a Euro by the way although I guess the arguement is he was playing in the WHL) they were pretty high on Granlund and Burmistrov

Old
03-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Beastrt

Quote:

That's just ignorant.
I think its more that i think garth has draft tendencies which involve drafting a certain way in the first round. Your right the d-man quote didn't pan out last year. Maybe im being a little harsh saying he won't draft a foreign player period. I just think if we don't get a top 10 pick, we trade the pick this year.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Paulinho
:baghead:

Send a message via Yahoo to Paulinho
Quote:
I think its more that i think garth has draft tendencies which involve drafting a certain way in the first round. Your right the d-man quote didn't pan out last year. Maybe im being a little harsh saying he won't draft a foreign player period. I just think if we don't get a top 10 pick, we trade the pick this year.
Why would we trade it? Plenty of interesting players in the middle of the 1st round.

Adam Erne
Nikita Zadorov
Alexander Wennberg
Zach Fucale

Old
03-17-2013, 04:06 AM
luki here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Why would we trade it? Plenty of interesting players in the middle of the 1st round.

Adam Erne
Nikita Zadorov
Alexander Wennberg
Zach Fucale
perhaps nichushkin falls cause of the russian factor. if we make the playoffs i think we take that chance. fucale seems justifiable as well.

Old
03-17-2013, 07:19 AM
steveat

If we draft in top 7, we are drafting a right wing.

If 10-15 we choose Zadarov

later, we go for Fucale...however, I think it is possible for the isles to trade down for Fucale too. We know we have a hole in net...well..one that will be very prominent in a few short years unless we think we can sign a good goalie for our future.

I think this draft will be of goalies and Right handed wingers 8-)

Old
03-17-2013, 08:28 AM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
I don't post too many non Islander prospect videos but I'm watching the Oil Kings game right now and 2013 Projected mid first round pick Curtis Lazar just scored a real nice coast to coast goal. Enjoy:

Thanks for this ITM ! Wow, Lazar has 38 goals, I remember he started really slow and was pressing, clutching the stick too hard, and now he's up to 38 goals. Man I'd be happy with him or Shinkaruk, two snipers with great speed, and leadership abilities (Lazar is an assistant captain and Shinkaruk is a captain).

Old
03-17-2013, 11:47 AM
Konk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You need defensemen. You don't need Europeans. That's why your analogy doesn't really work. I do want them to avoid Russians at all costs for the obvious reason.
Considering draft picks take 3-5 years to pan out, you don't draft on need.

There still is not valid reasoning nor proof that Garth and co wouldn't select a European-based player in the 1st round, as they've already selected a European (Niederreiter) and have selected several from Europe in the 2nd (Pokka, Sundstrom, Koskinen) and later rounds (Ullstrom, Nilsson).

Old
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
A Pointed Stick
No! Slp! Til Brklyn!

Quote:
Considering draft picks take 3-5 years to pan out, you don't draft on need.

There still is not valid reasoning nor proof that Garth and co wouldn't select a European-based player in the 1st round, as they've already selected a European (Niederreiter) and have selected several from Europe in the 2nd (Pokka, Sundstrom, Koskinen) and later rounds (Ullstrom, Nilsson).
I don't think they would have any qualms about picking someone from Europe either if he was the right guy. When they chose Nino over Fowler (and others) that seemed to say as much right there. My point was more that you can't look at the lunacy of the all defenseman draft and compare it to a bias for or against drafting defensemen. Apples and oranges...

They have and will pick a European if they deem him the right choice in the first round. It isn't even an argument based on history.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:21 PM
StrongIslanders90

IDK why but I said Pulock was who I felt we would end up with....If we have a pick in the 8-14 range I could also see Lazar...

is stocked droped a bit but hes going to be a great value pick imo if he goes outside top 10...

Old
03-18-2013, 11:28 AM
Konk

Quote:
IDK why but I said Pulock was who I felt we would end up with....If we have a pick in the 8-14 range I could also see Lazar...

is stocked droped a bit but hes going to be a great value pick imo if he goes outside top 10...
Lazar is who I felt the Islanders would end up with by season's end, and I would pick him over Pulock, personally. Lazar is my favorite player in the draft and is exactly what any team needs: a heart-and-soul player with a great shot and grinder work ethic. He's a battler, a leader, and has speed to burn. You can't help but love the way he plays.

Tavares, Cizikas, Hamonic, and Martin all play the game a similar way. They never give up and do everything they can to win. Lazar would be great to add to that list.

Old
03-18-2013, 11:40 AM
kuwo

Quote:
Lazar is who I felt the Islanders would end up with by season's end, and I would pick him over Pulock, personally. Lazar is my favorite player in the draft and is exactly what any team needs: a heart-and-soul player with a great shot and grinder work ethic. He's a battler, a leader, and has speed to burn. You can't help but love the way he plays.

Tavares, Cizikas, Hamonic, and Martin all play the game a similar way. They never give up and do everything they can to win. Lazar would be great to add to that list.
I like these attributes as well. It seems to me, that he could become a player that Kyle Okposo was supposed to be...

Closed Thread