HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

Best Young Cores In The NHL.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:05 PM
Elever
Hth

vCash: 500
I guess the Avs have a good core and obviously Edmonton does minus the goalie but a good core is meaningless with incompetent mgmt/ownership

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:26 PM
mizzoublues29
Unregistered User

ITT: Lack of people noticing STL.

mizzoublues29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:35 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mizzoublues29 View Post
ITT: Lack of people noticing STL.
I gave em some love on the previous page, what with pieterangelo, shattdeuces, Stewart, oshie, Berglund, tarasenko....

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:38 PM
Czech Trio

Not the best but decent considering the Devils haven't had top 15 or so picks for awhile outside of Larsson.

D - A. Larsson (2 way)
D - Urbom (2 way
D - Gelinas (future PP QB)

F - Henrique (2 way C)
F - Loktionov (2 way C)
F - Josefson (2 way C)
F - Matteau (big winger)

A lot of 2 way centermen and defensemen to build more around.

Plus we still have plenty of guys in their 20's...Kovalchuk (29), Zajac (27), Clarkson (28), Fayne (25), Bernier (27)

High potential/high bust % in prospects like Boucher. So down the road in 3-4 years I could see the Devils looking like:
Boucher - Zajac - Kovalchuk
Matteau - Loktionov - Henrique
Bernier - Josefson - Clarkson

Larsson - Fayne
Greene - Urbom
Gelinas, Merril, Scarlett, etc.
Wedgewood (?)

Obviously that is being generous to Boucher, Matteau, and Wedgewood hitting full/over potential. The Devils do have a old roster but also a young/prime years other half.

Last edited by Czech Trio: 03-16-2013 at 12:50 PM.
Czech Trio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:47 PM
Zaddy Zads
Deutschland Dangler

Boston, Chicago, St. Louis. All three teams are very good already and will be for many years to come. After them comes Montreal and maybe Toronto?

Zaddy Zads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
Senators have the deepest and strongest core players moving forward.

Top 5-10 center in the game: Spezza - Duchene
Arguably best player in the game and best defender: Karlsson - Johnson
Top 6 forwards with really high potential: Zibanejad and Silfverberg Landeskog/McGinn
Number 2 center: Turris - Oreilly
Number 2-4 defender in Cowen who can be number 1 talent wise. Barrie
Best goalie prospect in the game with crazy stats in NHL this year so far: Lehner - Varlamov

Core players are players you build your team around.

Ottawa is currently 6th in the league with their best core players missing now: Spez, Karl, Cowen, Anderson, Michalek yet their upcoming core is proving to be ready NOW.

Sens AHL team is also 2nd in the league while being the youngest and Sens have top 3 prospect pool in the league

The Sens also have 4th lowest cap hit with over 20 mil next year free with all major players under contract.

Sens have the strongest a deepest core moving forward, with all major positions covered, imo.
Avs can beat the Sens easily in every category listed except Top Dman, and MAYBE #1 Center.

And, that's without including core pieces such as Paranteau, Stastny, Sgarbossa, Downie, and the Avs 1st round pick this year(looking like top 5).

Calling the Sens core the deepest and strongest is simply very strong homerism. Its not even Top 5. And Im not saying the Avs core is the best either, but its at the very least on the same level as the Sens.

Pierce Hawthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
landesberg
varlamov4ever

Avs were the youngest team in the league last season and finished with 40 wins.

Not sure about this season, but I'd believe that they are around top 3 youngest in the league right now. Obviously not doing too hot right now but have a very solid young talented core to work with once they get a real coach.

Our best players are our young guys (25 or under) for the most part...

Our Core:

C - Matt Duchene - 22
C - Ryan O'Reilly - 22
W - Gabriel Landeskog - 20
D - Erik Johnson - 24
G - Semyon Varlamov - 24

and notables coming up the pipe very soon:

D - Tyson Barrie - 21
D - Stefan Elliott - 22
D - Duncan Siemens - 19
(unlikely) C - Joey Hishon - 21

and our other NHL role players:

W - Jamie McGinn - 24
W - Steve Downie - 25

and I guess you can include Stastny too, he's only 26.

landesberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Step
GO SENS GO

vCash: 2550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post
Avs can beat the Sens easily in every category listed except Top Dman, and MAYBE #1 Center.

And, that's without including core pieces such as Paranteau, Stastny, Sgarbossa, Downie, and the Avs 1st round pick this year(looking like top 5).

Calling the Sens core the deepest and strongest is simply very strong homerism. Its not even Top 5. And Im not saying the Avs core is the best either, but its at the very least on the same level as the Sens.
By the way, you're totally correct. Aside from Karlsson, I'd take your players over ours in a heartbeat.

03-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Satan
depression cherry

vCash: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
Zibnajehajd? Sttone? Sildbegegrvb? Lehnehr? Sochi? Pens have one of the better arial black core inthre lsaueague YIS young it is

as well as the almighty ducks kasper the ghost daugavgagagagagvins

matt oil puempel
shane the prince
stefan big nose noesen
did you forget about Jean le Gabriel le Pageau?

This post was very entertaining.

Satan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:15 PM
NewFang

Pretty much every team except the flames can make a case

NewFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:16 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avsare1 View Post

I agree that the sens are not the strongest but in terms of how many kids they have who can play in the nhl is top 5 for sure(depth). Also avs may have more high end talent but that is because of their positioning in the draft. Duchene, landeskog and oreilly have at least one full nhl season under their belt, while this is zibanejad and silfverberg's first real nhl season and really in a small ice. And yes the avs can beat the sens in every category except dman but you dont play hockey with only 1 forward line, 1 dman pair and one goalie, you should be able to play four forward lines and 3 dman and the sens can do better at that than the avs . Once again the avs pick are looking like a top 5 while the sens who already have deeper prospect pool than the avs are playoff team while missing key stars. Overall, when it comes to skill, avs younger guys>sens younger guys, but in terms of depth sens>>avs.

Last edited by HockeySens: 03-16-2013 at 01:27 PM.
HockeySens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:23 PM
B3rs3rker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Step View Post
By the way, you're totally correct. Aside from Karlsson, I'd take your players over ours in a heartbeat.
He isn't really...

Barrie over Cowen?

Goalie prospect: apparently Varlamov is still a prospect? Let's see how Lehner develops over the next 3 years, but right now he looks phenomenal for a 21 year old goalie.

Turris and O'Reilly isn't as far apart either if you look at opportunities, edge to O'Reilly, but it's not a huge edge.

I'll finish off with that Colorado definitely does have better core pieces than Ottawa, but some of his arguments just didn't make sense.

Back on topic, I'll put my vote to STL, plenty of great young pieces there.

B3rs3rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Sidetracked

Pittsburgh AINEC

Boston
Philly
Colorado
Edmonton

Are the teams that comes to mind right away as having the best young cores. Some of you people are hilarious though.

Sidetracked is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:34 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3z3rker View Post
He isn't really...

Barrie over Cowen?

Goalie prospect: apparently Varlamov is still a prospect? Let's see how Lehner develops over the next 3 years, but right now he looks phenomenal for a 21 year old goalie.

Turris and O'Reilly isn't as far apart either if you look at opportunities, edge to O'Reilly, but it's not a huge edge.

I'll finish off with that Colorado definitely does have better core pieces than Ottawa, but some of his arguments just didn't make sense.

Back on topic, I'll put my vote to STL, plenty of great young pieces there.
Varlamov is already a top goaltender in the league at 24. No one would pick Lehner before him.
O'reilly was Colorado's best player last year.. Don't under estimate him.
They have alot of young D looking to make the jump who could end up better than Barrie too.

I strongly advocate that Colorado has the best core in the league.

They will also get a top 5 pick, they lack top end defenders and winger... Mackinnon and Seth Jones could fill that hole almost instantly.

Mrb1p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by #57 View Post
DONT foret MINNESITATWET

COYle
GranlundžN
Bordin
Kuemper
Scandella
Powe
Phillips
Sochi
Zucker
Dumba
Cuma
Larson
Hamburg
Gilmour
Lucia
Haula
Nanne (especially Nanne)
Which one of those play in NHL? All I see is bunch of minor leaguers... or players that I haven't even heard of. Pretty sad.

Kulleroinen* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

Oh and Oilers should be the only answer here. Everyone who is saying something else is just kidding themselves.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:23 PM
Wiems35*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kulleroinen View Post
Oh and Oilers should be the only answer here. Everyone who is saying something else is just kidding themselves.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/standings.htm...22013&type=LEA

Wiems35* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:25 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Number 1-2 C, 3 top line winger... One top 4 D and some good D prospect...

Missing something here.... Something everyone has when they're in the conversation for best core.

MTL, STL, COL, OTT, BOS, FLA, LAK, TOR, WSH and PITT

all have it.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:26 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Varlamov is already a top goaltender in the league at 24. No one would pick Lehner before him.
They have alot of young D looking to make the jump who could end up better than Barrie too.

They will also get a top 5 pick, they lack top end defenders and winger... Mackinnon and Seth Jones could fill that hole almost instantly.
Im sorry , what? there are many goaltenders ill take before varlamov, also, its easy to build a good core when you have a high pick, no? I agree that colorado has a good core but its far from complete and best

Old
03-16-2013, 04:29 PM
HockeySens

Quote:
I like the oilers but theyve been screwed by their management, they got lucky schultz signed with them.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:31 PM
Kulleroinen*
Oilers!

Quote:
Number 1-2 C, 3 top line winger... One top 4 D and some good D prospect...

Missing something here.... Something everyone has when they're in the conversation for best core.

MTL, STL, COL, OTT, BOS, FLA, LAK, TOR, WSH and PITT

all have it.
Top lines filled up with 25y+ players?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Top lines filled up with 25y+ players?
Goaltending+D

The Oilers have the best offensive core though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeySens View Post
Im sorry , what? there are many goaltenders ill take before varlamov, also, its easy to build a good core when you have a high pick, no? I agree that colorado has a good core but its far from complete and best
Who? Taking in age and talent. Price, Rask, quick and Pavelec(Could go either way.)
Then who?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
B3rs3rker

Quote:

And I never said I wouldn't take Varlamov right now over Lehner, read what the original Sens fan wrote, he said best goalie prospect and the guy responded by comparing him to Varlamov. Varlamov isn't a prospect bud. I also wouldn't say he's a top goaltender.

Once again, where did I underestimate O'Reilly? I said he has an edge over Turris, but once again this goes back to the guy saying he's easily better than Turris. He is better, I said that in my post.

Good for you that you do, but their young core hasn't made the playoffs in the 2 years of being together, and this year their last in their respective conference. A bunch of pretty names doesn't mean much if the team's performance isn't there.

B3rs3rker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:59 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by B3z3rker View Post
And I never said I wouldn't take Varlamov right now over Lehner, read what the original Sens fan wrote, he said best goalie prospect and the guy responded by comparing him to Varlamov. Varlamov isn't a prospect bud. I also wouldn't say he's a top goaltender.

Once again, where did I underestimate O'Reilly? I said he has an edge over Turris, but once again this goes back to the guy saying he's easily better than Turris. He is better, I said that in my post.

Good for you that you do, but their young core hasn't made the playoffs in the 2 years of being together, and this year their last in their respective conference. A bunch of pretty names doesn't mean much if the team's performance isn't there.
Second season in a row they're all reunited.
They're all under 24. Landeskog was a rookie, Duchene was 20... Varlamov was in his first season with the Avs...
With Seth Jones they will look to be the cream of the crop

Old
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Trafalgar McLaw
Waive Dallas Eakins

Quote:
We still need a goalie

Trafalgar McLaw is offline   Reply With Quote