HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Saint Mikael Granlund hypetrain part 2 (saucer passes turning to wine!)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 12:08 PM
  #751
Jarick
Moderator
Doing Nothing
 
Jarick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: St Paul, MN
Country: United States
Posts: 23,591
vCash: 500
At first, Granlund was getting knocked around like crazy and generating zero offense, as was everyone else not named Koivu, Parise, or Heatley.

Granlund got sent to the fourth line briefly, where he played a little better, still not generating much offense, but wasn't getting beat up. Again, nobody outside the top line was scoring.

Then he spent a bit of time at wing on the third line, where he started to generate a little bit of offense, got a few points, was playing physical, and dumping the puck more. Here is where the top line went cold and the second line started scoring.

He got a chance to play center for a few games on the third line, where he generated little offense, was not involved in the play at even strength, and was terrible defensively. He did start getting some PP time though, and he showed some flashes of good play, still wasn't putting up points.

Finally he was scratched a few games and then sent to the minors.

Personally, I think he was learning to play a grinder's game on the 3rd/4th line. I think it would suit him better to play 20+ minutes a game in the minors and keep developing his skill on the smaller rink in a more physical league. We don't need him mastering the chip and chase, we need that on-ice vision and playmaking along with the wrist shot when he has time and space.

He might not have been put in the ideal situation for success, but he was given a very good shot. He was given the second line center spot out of camp. They tried him at wing and on the PP. He looked better through the year, but never became an impact player.

He's not the first high end prospect to go to the minors and won't be the last. The Wild is an NHL team, not a development team. He still needs to improve to really earn his spot and realize his potential.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 12:18 PM
  #752
Final8758
Registered User
 
Final8758's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 143
vCash: 500
That post sums it up pretty good i think. Original reason i posted in this thread was because i noticed many people whining about either MG or Minnesota destroying him, most of them finns tbh. I think it just has to do with being first prospect out of Finland in a long time that has serious offensive upside as well as the Finnish media hyping him up to the point where everybody and their mother thinks he's the next coming of Gretzky. (hyperbole)

Final8758 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:15 AM
  #753
tikkanen5rings*
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: in your head!
Posts: 11,686
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kras View Post

Not even going to respond to your mindless bashing of the club, maybe you should accept that Granlund is not the only thing Minnesota has to worry about.
Bashing? They are facts.
Yeo's record:
http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/yeomi99c.html

Wild's last playoff game was in 07-08 season.

tikkanen5rings* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:53 AM
  #754
urho
Registered User
 
urho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Oulu
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,674
vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
He got a chance to play center for a few games on the third line, where he generated little offense, was not involved in the play at even strength, and was terrible defensively. He did start getting some PP time though, and he showed some flashes of good play, still wasn't putting up points.

Finally he was scratched a few games and then sent to the minors.
I don't agree with this at all. His last 2 games were absolutely the best he had played in the Wild. With a limited ice time he managed to generate maybe the 2nd or 3rd most chances for his team and he did not look bad defensively. Yes, he got -3 in the last game he played but only 1 of the goals was partly his fault. That's why I was so disappointed to see him got thrown out of the lineup because I felt - for the first time this season - I finally saw the old Mikke playing out there.

Anyway, since Yeo didn't trust in him it's better for Granlund to play in the minors. I propably will never understand why he wasn't playing wing (I wanted to see him there after the first 3 games) where he has been the most effective in his career. But whatever...

urho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:48 PM
  #755
Gaps
Registered User
 
Gaps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 2,520
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kras View Post
That post sums it up pretty good i think. Original reason i posted in this thread was because i noticed many people whining about either MG or Minnesota destroying him, most of them finns tbh. I think it just has to do with being first prospect out of Finland in a long time that has serious offensive upside as well as the Finnish media hyping him up to the point where everybody and their mother thinks he's the next coming of Gretzky. (hyperbole)
The hype reached ridiculous proportions, but at the same time so did the bashing. There are a lot of Finns who flat out wanted to see him fail and they'd like nothing more than for him to take the next flight to Helsinki and so they'd be able to tell people "I knew it." That's at least as ridiculous as comparing him to Gretzky or Crosby and it's actually more pathetic.

I don't agree with the Wild's decision to play him at center from the start and I hope they change their minds about it. Meanwhile, Granlund needs to play big minutes in an offensive role, not sit in the press box eating pop corn. He may not even be back in the NHL this season.

Nothing has been lost or gained yet with Granlund and people have seriously overreacted both ways. During his time in the NHL he did show improvement in some areas and showed that he can adapt, but it will take time and he needs to work on his physique. He also seems to be afraid of getting hit and being concussed again, which is understandable but something he needs to get over. When he's confident enough and sure of his skills, he won't be afraid anymore.


Last edited by Gaps: 03-16-2013 at 12:56 PM.
Gaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
  #756
Fel 96
JFC
 
Fel 96's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Little Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 56,874
vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
So, 2 points (assists) in 2 games with the Aeros so far.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:18 PM
  #757
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
27 games
2 g
6 a
8 p

I think he is too small for the NHL. And will have to play his game differently.
He might be able to put up Sam Gagner numbers somewhere in the future, they do have similar body sizes and skill levels.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
  #758
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
27 games
2 g
6 a
8 p

I think he is too small for the NHL. And will have to play his game differently.
He might be able to put up Sam Gagner numbers somewhere in the future, they do have similar body sizes and skill levels.
There's been, what, less of a day since Marty St. Louis won the Art(hritis) Ross trophy and you make a comment like that?

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:31 PM
  #759
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
There's been, what, less of a day since Marty St. Louis won the Art(hritis) Ross trophy and you make a comment like that?
I didn't say smaller players can't play in the NHL.
I'm just saying that he has to change his game up to succeed, he just doesn't have as much skill as we had previously thought to succeed in the NHL at his current playstyle.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:34 PM
  #760
toewsintangibles
Registered User
 
toewsintangibles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turrican View Post
I didn't say smaller players can't play in the NHL.
I'm just saying that he has to change his game up to succeed, he just doesn't have as much skill as we had previously thought to succeed in the NHL at his current playstyle.
The first sentence in your last post is: "I think he is too small for the NHL."

toewsintangibles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 03:38 PM
  #761
Turrican*
Not a homer
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Stabmonton
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
The first sentence in your last post is: "I think he is too small for the NHL."
Followed by "And will have to play his game differently."

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 04:53 PM
  #762
Teeder9
Free rent for Mo?
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,127
vCash: 500
At most maybe a few pounds, but anyone who thinks a players first taste of hockey in the NHL is anything more than that, would have thrown Stamkos to the wolves. He needs experience and patience.

Teeder9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-29-2013, 05:00 PM
  #763
nickschultzfan
Registered User
 
nickschultzfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 500
Believe it or not, it's not the NHL's size that has been a problem for Granlund. Yes, he's got knocked around like any other rookie.

It's the speed of the NHL that he's had the most trouble with. He is slowly learning that he has to never stop moving his feet and to make plays at full speed. He'll pick it up, but it's going to take some time.

nickschultzfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-30-2013, 05:29 PM
  #764
wirelessflyingcord
An Oxymoron
 
wirelessflyingcord's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 894
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by toewsintangibles View Post
There's been, what, less of a day since Marty St. Louis won the Art(hritis) Ross trophy and you make a comment like that?
I get the point, but I don't think St. Louis is so good as a comparison, because he was (or still is?) one of the best and fastest skaters in the whole league, so that compensates a lot for the size. Granlund then again have had some problems with the skating and will most likely never excel in that area.

wirelessflyingcord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-01-2013, 05:21 PM
  #765
Evgeny Oliker
Registered User
 
Evgeny Oliker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 3,375
vCash: 1140
Granlund has been overhyped for a long time. Before this season began, some even thought he would win the Calder. At that time, I thought he would be lucky to stick in the NHL for the entire season and I was correct.

Even at his last WJC, he had trouble when other teams would get physical with him. It is the lack of size and speed combination that is hurting him. His first few steps are slow and so when he receives the puck, its not hard for the defender to quickly close in on him...at that point Granlund is in trouble. If he can improve his skating, he might become a decend 2nd line player. All this nonsense about him becoming a star was just that, nonsense.

Evgeny Oliker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-02-2013, 02:24 AM
  #766
ebsej
Registered User
 
ebsej's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Pori
Country: Finland
Posts: 16
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evgeny Oliker View Post
Granlund has been overhyped for a long time. Before this season began, some even thought he would win the Calder. At that time, I thought he would be lucky to stick in the NHL for the entire season and I was correct.

Even at his last WJC, he had trouble when other teams would get physical with him. It is the lack of size and speed combination that is hurting him. His first few steps are slow and so when he receives the puck, its not hard for the defender to quickly close in on him...at that point Granlund is in trouble. If he can improve his skating, he might become a decend 2nd line player. All this nonsense about him becoming a star was just that, nonsense.
Good points, but it's still too early to say that he isn't going to be a star in the future. It's not like Granlund is the only player who have had problems as a rookie.

ebsej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 05:14 PM
  #767
Surly Furious
Registered User
 
Surly Furious's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: frozen north
Posts: 6,948
vCash: 528
So, have the saucer passes turned to vinegar? Apparently not.

The Wild fanbase on HF Boards just named him the Wild's #1 prospect again, over Coyle.

This will be an interesting season for the NHL future of one Mikael Granlund.

Hopefully, a late summer training with Koivu and Niederreiter will give him some clues about size anyways.

Surly Furious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2013, 07:35 PM
  #768
Hagged
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Country:
Posts: 1,552
vCash: 500
He still has three seasons to hit 50 points to be on the same development curve as Mikko Koivu as a prospect, four seasons to get a 40 points to be on the same curve as St. Louis. So I would at least give him those years of development before labeling him a bust. I predict 30-40 points this season.

Hagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 03:45 AM
  #769
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist
 
Billy Mays Here's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Minnesota
Country: United States
Posts: 13,281
vCash: 50
Not worried yet. Granlund doesn't have the size or skating ability to make the transition effortlessly. It's gonna take a while, and even if that means having him spend the entire season in Iowa this year, I'm fine with it.

Billy Mays Here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 04:34 AM
  #770
premadonna
Registered User
 
premadonna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,221
vCash: 520
Too small, too slow.

Too bad, since he seems like a great kid.

premadonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:03 AM
  #771
MMANumminen
Registered User
 
MMANumminen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Arctic Circle
Country: Finland
Posts: 633
vCash: 500
Screw you non -believers. He's going to be solid 60-70pt scorer if not this year, then next

MMANumminen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 07:13 AM
  #772
YARR123
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Finland
Posts: 1,559
vCash: 500
He already looked a LOT faster last year than the year before. As long as he learns to keep moving, he'll be fast enough. Still has all the tools to have a Saku Koivu-esque career productionwise.

YARR123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 08:56 AM
  #773
Daimon
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Country: Finland
Posts: 89
vCash: 500
He's gonna rule majestically. You wait and see.

Daimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:25 AM
  #774
Syan Ruter
Snus boogey woogey?
 
Syan Ruter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Finland
Country: Finland
Posts: 344
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Mays Here View Post
Not worried yet. Granlund doesn't have the size or skating ability to make the transition effortlessly. It's gonna take a while, and even if that means having him spend the entire season in Iowa this year, I'm fine with it.
Agreed. Another year in the minors would do him good, with some brief stints in the big league.

Syan Ruter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2013, 09:26 AM
  #775
Interactif
Registered User
 
Interactif's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: North York
Country: Canada
Posts: 26,758
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarick View Post
At first, Granlund was getting knocked around like crazy and generating zero offense, as was everyone else not named Koivu, Parise, or Heatley.

Granlund got sent to the fourth line briefly, where he played a little better, still not generating much offense, but wasn't getting beat up. Again, nobody outside the top line was scoring.

Then he spent a bit of time at wing on the third line, where he started to generate a little bit of offense, got a few points, was playing physical, and dumping the puck more. Here is where the top line went cold and the second line started scoring.

He got a chance to play center for a few games on the third line, where he generated little offense, was not involved in the play at even strength, and was terrible defensively. He did start getting some PP time though, and he showed some flashes of good play, still wasn't putting up points.

Finally he was scratched a few games and then sent to the minors.

Personally, I think he was learning to play a grinder's game on the 3rd/4th line. I think it would suit him better to play 20+ minutes a game in the minors and keep developing his skill on the smaller rink in a more physical league. We don't need him mastering the chip and chase, we need that on-ice vision and playmaking along with the wrist shot when he has time and space.

He might not have been put in the ideal situation for success, but he was given a very good shot. He was given the second line center spot out of camp. They tried him at wing and on the PP. He looked better through the year, but never became an impact player.

He's not the first high end prospect to go to the minors and won't be the last. The Wild is an NHL team, not a development team. He still needs to improve to really earn his spot and realize his potential.
For all his hype, from my limited viewings he left me totally underwhelmed. He wouldn't be the first Finnish prospect to not live up to his hype.

I think Barkov will be under the same scrutiny, Barkov was picked ahead of Jones and Drouin. He will have to be at least as good as these 2 prospects or Tallon and Finnish hockey will be second guessed with this selection.

Interactif is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:41 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.