HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ladislav Smid Signs 4-Year Extension ($3.5M AAV) | Confirmed @ post #365

Old
03-15-2013, 06:55 PM
shogun99

vCash: 500
Max for Smid should be 4 mil/season. Anything more and he becomes a burden on the cap got what he brings.

shogun99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 07:24 PM
rockinghockey

I don't go over 4mil for Smid and that is over paying him .5mil at least maybe even a bit more than that. You can't pay too much money on a dman that has no offense. Any player that can't be signed has to be moved for an asset, these assets can be used in a trade to get players that we need.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 10:26 PM
TheGudge

Does OEL's new contract come into play or are they two different players at different stages of their careers?

I would be ok with a 4x4 deal for ol' Smidmark taking the OEL contract into consideration, sound fair?

Smid does have....... "intangibles" no?

TheGudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:56 AM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGudge View Post
Does OEL's new contract come into play or are they two different players at different stages of their careers?

I would be ok with a 4x4 deal for ol' Smidmark taking the OEL contract into consideration, sound fair?

Smid does have....... "intangibles" no?
rfas are not comparables for ufas.

ufas who got 5.5: wiz, wideman, carle.

OEL is >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>all of them.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:11 AM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
Max for Smid should be 4 mil/season. Anything more and he becomes a burden on the cap got what he brings.
I could live with a little more for a shorter term...2 years max. See how he does and go from there...he's 27 and just getting to his prime years and seems to be turning into a player now that he knows his role.

Hard to replace what he brings as the Oilers are never going to get equal value back in a trade.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:14 AM
Koto

there is 0 chance he signs for fewer than 4 years.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:16 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
there is 0 chance he signs for fewer than 4 years.
I'd like to see 4 years at 3.5M per, I think thats fair market value for a defensive d man. If he wants more he can take a hike.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:35 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
I'd like to see 4 years at 3.5M per, I think thats fair market value for a defensive d man. If he wants more he can take a hike.
That would be ideal, but I think you will probably have to give him 1 or 2 more years to get that hit number

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:48 AM
oil Leaks
Unit 01

3.75 max

oil Leaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:49 AM
Hammer8
Blow it up

I'd like to see a real shutdown D signed. Smid is a poor mans shut down D with a history of being on losing Oiler teams who would be no higher than a #5 on a top team. Why pay top 2-3 money for a 5-6 D. Loyalty has no place in the discussion, you either build a winner or become the New York Islanders. Pick one.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:51 AM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
I'd like to see a real shutdown D signed. Smid is a poor mans shut down D with a history of being on losing Oiler teams who would be no higher than a #5 on a top team. Why pay top 2-3 money for a 5-6 D. Loyalty has no place in the discussion, you either build a winner or become the New York Islanders. Pick one.
If you can get him signed for the same type of cash N.Schultz is making you do it. Then you move Schultz out who has been beyond useless here.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Hammer8
Blow it up

He's worth 5-6 money not a nickel more. I agree Nick Schultz is out of his element here. The Oilers aren't going anywhere with this pathetic D corps we have, save JS.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
He's worth 5-6 money not a nickel more. I agree Nick Schultz is out of his element here. The Oilers aren't going anywhere with this pathetic D corps we have, save JS.
The lack of depth is the biggest problem, Corey Potter playing regular or Smid and Petry playing well over 20 mins a night, one or two more competent defenders to spread out the minutes would make a huge difference.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:01 PM
Hammer8
Blow it up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
The lack of depth is the biggest problem, Corey Potter playing regular or Smid and Petry playing well over 20 mins a night, one or two more competent defenders to spread out the minutes would make a huge difference.
Exactly. That would drive Smid to the 5 spot where he would excel. As a 2-3 guy he's way out of his element no different than Horcoff was at the 1 spot C. So why pay 2-3 money for a number 5 D? Don't overpay like we have in the past, save the money for the kids and draft/trade/sign on the D side now. Oh, and get a reliable goalie. Bernier would be a great fit here.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Exactly. That would drive Smid to the 5 spot where he would excel. As a 2-3 guy he's way out of his element no different than Horcoff was at the 1 spot C. So why pay 2-3 money for a number 5 D? Don't overpay like we have in the past, save the money for the kids and draft/trade/sign on the D side now. Oh, and get a reliable goalie. Bernier would be a great fit here.
what? Ugh with you people.

Smid can play in the top-4 Just Fine, he's just not a top-pairing guy, which isn't his fault.

Nick Schultz in the #5 spot is the ideal place for him, that would give much more stability to the defense corps, but the problem is bringing in that top-4 guy to replace him, yet to have been done yet.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:12 PM
Hammer8
Blow it up

Smids a 5 who can play at the 4 spot but not continently nor over the long haul. Unlike the Smid apologists I won't give him a free pass just because he has been here a long time. He's also part of the losing culture here. Watch the live play of the 4-5 d men in the league (not TV hilights) and you see very quickly the difference. Smid gets a free pass here in this town because he is a hard working player, and I give him that. But he's not a 2-3. Hs a 5 and sometimes 4.

Schultz is the same player as Smid. A 4-5.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:23 PM
rockinghockey

N.Schultz making the amount of money he is making to be a 3rd pairing dman is too much money. Keep Smid and Petry as the 2nd pairing and then we have to get someone to play with J.Schultz as the top pairing. This is what we have for next year and what we have to fill to be a contending team.
top pairing dman; J.Schultz
Smid; Petry
Fistric; 3rd pairing dman that can move puck
Potter

So, who are the two dmen we go after. I am thinking sign Smid for 3.5mil and then Boychuk from BOS to play with Schultz.

rockinghockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:33 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
Turtle Renji

Quote:
Smids a 5 who can play at the 4 spot but not continently nor over the long haul. Unlike the Smid apologists I won't give him a free pass just because he has been here a long time. He's also part of the losing culture here. Watch the live play of the 4-5 d men in the league (not TV hilights) and you see very quickly the difference. Smid gets a free pass here in this town because he is a hard working player, and I give him that. But he's not a 2-3. Hs a 5 and sometimes 4.

Schultz is the same player as Smid. A 4-5.
No, they really aren't. They play "similar" games, but they aren't the same player, wow.

Edit: Fair enough, enjoy the Grinding.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:42 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:

Schultz is the same player as Smid.
All credibility lost right there.

Smid last year: hits 186, blocks 184, +4

This year: hits 83, blocks 76, -3

Schultz last year: hits 83, blocks 165, -12

This year: hits 31, blocks 66, -12

One guy plays like a mean SOB in front of the net, the other a quiet game you don't notice. I'll take the guy trying to make an impact every shift. Smid is a solid shutdown guy. Schultz is a Kreuger type of guy, simply plays not to make a mistake (which sees possession die on his stick more often than not).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:44 PM
Powder
Droppin The KlefBom!

I just can't help but think that Smid is at an interesting point in this development and I'd really like to see another year out of him before I commit, or don't commit to him long term.

He's been a bit of late bloomer in the sense of figuring out his role and has been a big team guy and a warrior as of late and I'd really hate to let him go right now if I don't have to.

I'd ask him what it would take to get a one year contract signed and see if I can make it work.

Powder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:49 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinghockey View Post
N.Schultz making the amount of money he is making to be a 3rd pairing dman is too much money. Keep Smid and Petry as the 2nd pairing and then we have to get someone to play with J.Schultz as the top pairing. This is what we have for next year and what we have to fill to be a contending team.
top pairing dman; J.Schultz
Smid; Petry
Fistric; 3rd pairing dman that can move puck
Potter

So, who are the two dmen we go after. I am thinking sign Smid for 3.5mil and then Boychuk from BOS to play with Schultz.
Out Whitney and N.Schultz. In Streit and Scuderi.

Streit-Smid
Schultz-Scuderi
Petry-Fistric
Potter,UFA for depth

Thats a playoff caliber defence. If we can't get Streit one of Vishnovsky or Zidlicky would work as a replacement. #1 thing is we have to land Scuderi.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:57 PM
Roof Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
Out Whitney and N.Schultz. In Streit and Scuderi.

Streit-Smid
Schultz-Scuderi
Petry-Fistric
Potter,UFA for depth

Thats a playoff caliber defence. If we can't get Streit one of Vishnovsky or Zidlicky would work as a replacement. #1 thing is we have to land Scuderi.
I like the idea, but I have no idea why Scuderi would choose us when he is sure to have a dozen suitors (do we want to discuss the merits of a bidding war for a 34 yr old stay-at-home guy when we can't decide what Smid is worth), has won 2 cups in the last 4 years (would choose a more competitive team than ours), is American born and 34 years old (could see his next contract be his last, NY born and raised so I say Rangers).

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:05 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

I'm not a huge fan of Smid.

He's adequate, but he doesn't ever really separate players from the puck which prevents him from being a great shut-down dman.

I could go up to 4 but I wouldn't be happy about it. Ideally he comes in at around 3.5

Hemskyfanboy83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemskyfanboy83 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of Smid.

He's adequate, but he doesn't ever really separate players from the puck which prevents him from being a great shut-down dman.

I could go up to 4 but I wouldn't be happy about it. Ideally he comes in at around 3.5
The cap is dropping by $5.9 M next year. This year it is $70.2 M prorated over the shorter season. Next year will be $64.3 M. Revenues have not bounced back like they did after 2004-05.

Offer him $3M/year over 3 years. He might get a little more, but no one will give him $4M/year in the new salary cap environment.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:28 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
The cap is dropping by $5.9 M next year. This year it is $70.2 M prorated over the shorter season. Next year will be $64.3 M. Revenues have not bounced back like they did after 2004-05.

Offer him $3M/year over 3 years. He might get a little more, but no one will give him $4M/year in the new salary cap environment.
MMhmm. With the cap dropping, I'll die if he gets more than 3.5.

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote