HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

12/13 Draft Thread: The top 5 sucks, late first-round picks rule.

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 10:50 AM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaiinleaf View Post
i think its 11

our 7
Steckle 7th Ana
Brown 3/4th Edm
Lombardi 4 Phi
Lupol trade we get another i think
Nawh the Lupul pick is 2013

Old
03-16-2013, 10:58 AM
Doug Gilmour
Leafer Since '95

Quote:
Originally Posted by ULF_55 View Post
Ron Wilson?
First thing that came to mind.

Kerby Rychel is who I would go with if we squeak in at the 8th spot into the playoffs and get ousted 1st round.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Bar South

Went to the 67's game last night against Oshawa...only to find out when I got there that Biggs, Jenner, Cassels, Laughton and another fairly big name that is not coming to me right now were all scratched/injured.
Great game anyways, before knowing they'd be out, I figured Oshawa was going to steamroll Ottawa, but it actually turned into a great game.
However, I was really looking forward to finally seeing Biggs play live. Oh well. Guys like Lessio (he was flying around all over the place) and Van Stralen looked pretty good last night. Next game I go to, I am thinking I should be paying more attention to Salituro.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bar South View Post
Went to the 67's game last night against Oshawa...only to find out when I got there that Biggs, Jenner, Cassels, Laughton and another fairly big name that is not coming to me right now were all scratched/injured.
Great game anyways, before knowing they'd be out, I figured Oshawa was going to steamroll Ottawa, but it actually turned into a great game.
However, I was really looking forward to finally seeing Biggs play live. Oh well. Guys like Lessio (he was flying around all over the place) and Van Stralen looked pretty good last night. Next game I go to, I am thinking I should be paying more attention to Salituro.
You maybe should have paid some attention to Monahan.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Bar South

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBurke View Post
You maybe should have paid some attention to Monahan.
I did have an eye on him. But I would also like to get a better idea of the lesser known players. Monahan is a guy who has been easier to research and find video on rather than some of the other 67's. Especially with the roster they have at the moment.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Keeping in lieu with the thread title, man, Theodore looks like a great pick in the 20-30 range. Great numbers on an absolutely awful Thunderbirds team.

I suppose he's a bit redundant with Rielly/Gardiner, but really, all you're doing is increasing the odds having a great top 4 PMD in the future. I'm down with that. Quality depth is awesomesauce.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
ErnieLeafs
LOVE & LIVE the Game

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7even View Post
Keeping in lieu with the thread title, man, Theodore looks like a great pick in the 20-30 range. Great numbers on an absolutely awful Thunderbirds team.

I suppose he's a bit redundant with Rielly/Gardiner, but really, all you're doing is increasing the odds having a great top 4 PMD in the future. I'm down with that. Quality depth is awesomesauce.
I haven't really seen much of him, but my preference is one of the many high potential forwards in that range.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:58 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:

I like Theodore, but my issue is with who else will be available there. If one of Morrissey, Hagg, Pulock etc. are still available then it would be a reach.

I'm also starting to think Lodge could climb into the back end of the first round. I would be ok taking him late in the first.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:59 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Best guy from the Q since Crosby. He doesn't have near the hype Tavares had. Though now, he might not even be the best guy draft eligible from his own team.
He had the Tavares hype. He was probably the most hyped prospect since Tavares. But then Drouin started to put up some of the most outstanding offensive numbers seen in a draft since Kane put nearly 150 points in his OHL rookie season.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:02 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapes View Post
Drouin just got an assist (extends his point streak to 28 or something), has a point in every game since November 30th and has a point in 45 of 48 games this year, 105 in those 48 games.

Also took a 1 point lead over Duffy for the league lead (in 18 or 19 less games). Can he now jump to first?

How many guys the past 10 years have won a CHL scoring title before being drafted?
Kane won it in his draft year. I'm not sure about anyone else.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:04 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I like Theodore, but my issue is with who else will be available there. If one of Morrissey, Hagg, Pulock etc. are still available then it would be a reach.

I'm also starting to think Lodge could climb into the back end of the first round. I would be ok taking him late in the first.
Yep I'd be ok with Lodge. Or Bailey (almost identical players anyways)>

Old
03-16-2013, 01:09 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:

Yeah, I'm definitely higher on Pulock and Hagg than Theodore, Morrissey is somewhat interchangeable to me. Just not his biggest fan.

Availability is a good question -- defensemen absolutely flew off the board last year. I doubt that happens this year with what is by all accounts a much stronger draft up front, but historically Dmen fly around 15-30.

Haven't heard of Lodge, what's his game?

Old
03-16-2013, 01:18 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Yeah, I'm definitely higher on Pulock and Hagg than Theodore, Morrissey is somewhat interchangeable to me. Just not his biggest fan.

Availability is a good question -- defensemen absolutely flew off the board last year. I doubt that happens this year with what is by all accounts a much stronger draft up front, but historically Dmen fly around 15-30.

Haven't heard of Lodge, what's his game?
Skilled playmaker, ability to play centre or wing. Looks like Bambi on the ice (6'2 160lbs). He needs to engage himself more, but that should come with some weight and development. He's been on the 1st line in Saginaw since Trochek got traded, and has produced very well.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:34 PM
7even
Deus Ex Machina

Quote:
Skilled playmaker, ability to play centre or wing. Looks like Bambi on the ice (6'2 160lbs). He needs to engage himself more, but that should come with some weight and development. He's been on the 1st line in Saginaw since Trochek got traded, and has produced very well.
29 points in 19 games since the Trochek trade dayumn.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
29 points in 19 games since the Trochek trade dayumn.
He's not without flaws though. He definitely avoids contact at this point, but I think some weight should at least partially fix that. He's a natural centre but he's been playing wing as well. If he is to continue as a winger he definitely needs to add grit.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:57 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
He's not without flaws though. He definitely avoids contact at this point, but I think some weight should at least partially fix that. He's a natural centre but he's been playing wing as well. If he is to continue as a winger he definitely needs to add grit.
Avoids contact? Does that mean he actively looks to stay away from contact (avoiding going into corners etc) or just doesn't play a physical game (ie. uses his body more as a shield and less as a battering ram, plays in the corner but won't be decking guys in it, just going after the puck and protecting it once he gets it)?

I have no issue with a big man who largely doesn't play a physical game if he's using his body similar to a Thornton like game.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Avoids contact? Does that mean he actively looks to stay away from contact (avoiding going into corners etc) or just doesn't play a physical game (ie. uses his body more as a shield and less as a battering ram, plays in the corner but won't be decking guys in it, just going after the puck and protecting it once he gets it)?

I have no issue with a big man who largely doesn't play a physical game if he's using his body similar to a Thornton like game.
Neither, he doesn't play a physical game whatsoever. His puck possession game is fine, but I wouldn't exactly say he's a shield like Thornton. He needs to add weight. But as of right now, he plays small.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:15 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
Neither, he doesn't play a physical game whatsoever. His puck possession game is fine, but I wouldn't exactly say he's a shield like Thornton. He needs to add weight. But as of right now, he plays small.
Yeah, at 160 he's severely undersized. Adding weight would certainly help. I wonder if maybe he doesn't have the confidence to play a physical game because he's so underweight. Lack of strength leads to a lack of confidence in a game requiring strength?

Old
03-16-2013, 02:26 PM
Bernier the Boats
Formerly BBurke

Quote:
Originally Posted by theIceWookie View Post
Yeah, at 160 he's severely undersized. Adding weight would certainly help. I wonder if maybe he doesn't have the confidence to play a physical game because he's so underweight. Lack of strength leads to a lack of confidence in a game requiring strength?
I think part of it is his line mates are more than willing to do the dirty work so he doesn't have to. But being 160 as a smaller guy is different. For example, Domi has 25lbs on this kid and is a solid 5 inches shorter (don't believe Domi is 5'10, he isn't). Lodge is wayyyy too lanky so his balance is atrocious. This can obviously be fixed, since he does have the height his frame is very projectable. He can definitely generate his own offense, which we really lack in our prospect pool up front. We have a lot of guys like Leivo, Ashton, Biggs who can finish off plays, but we lack someone with the creative playmaking ability of Lodge.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:37 PM
theIceWookie
Pessimism Revoked

Quote:
I think part of it is his line mates are more than willing to do the dirty work so he doesn't have to. But being 160 as a smaller guy is different. For example, Domi has 25lbs on this kid and is a solid 5 inches shorter (don't believe Domi is 5'10, he isn't). Lodge is wayyyy too lanky so his balance is atrocious. This can obviously be fixed, since he does have the height his frame is very projectable. He can definitely generate his own offense, which we really lack in our prospect pool up front. We have a lot of guys like Leivo, Ashton, Biggs who can finish off plays, but we lack someone with the creative playmaking ability of Lodge.
Oh yeah you can definitely teach better positioning and body work, as well as balance. And that will come with time for him. It's going to be easier for him to play a "bigger" game when he adds more weight. Adding weight will allow him to balance better as well and likely add to a more physical game (at the very least be able to protect his body). That would be the hope/idea anyways.

If he has the skill, vision and smarts on the ice, he's definitely a guy to take a risk on with his height. It's more of a project pick but the upside is really there.

I view Bailey and Lodge as similar but Lodge's ability to create offense might be a little more enticing than Bailey. I like Bailey but he's more of a finisher at this point. He's got a killer wrister though.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:57 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Pulock looks strong early on in this MJ-Brandon game. Juggling between this and the Leafs game though

Old
03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

I feel for Pulock. This Brandon team is a couple of notches below Moose Jaw, which says alot 'cause the Warriors are ****.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
Rare Jewel
Patience

I'm not going to pile on with the teams current performance.

But, I think we should be looking to draft a goalie(Fucale) where ever our first ends up.

Look at our Division and the keepers Miller, Rask, Price, Lehner, Valsilevski and Markstrom(down the line a bit) We need to get "the guy" in the net for us.

Perhaps Pulock falling may throw a wrench at that plan, But after being spoiled with Potvin, Joseph and Belfour we've been stuck with a merry go round since Eddie.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:07 PM
TheLeastOfTheBunch

Announcer illustrating how bad Brandon has been this season;
they have been outshot 50 times in 72 games this season.

Pulock has been rock solid defensively.

EDIT: The announcer also said Pulock is the first Wheatkings dman to lead the team in points after the regular season. He missed a few weeks in January due to chip bones in his wrist BTW

Last edited by TheLeastOfTheBunch: 03-16-2013 at 11:20 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 11:16 PM
Leaf Rocket
Leaf Fan Till I Die

I'd be very happy with pulock and use a later round to pick up Tristan Jarry.

Also Wookie, MM isn't mirco mueller. check the title for clarification