HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Notices

Say we do indeed trade Frolov...

Old
07-31-2006, 02:19 AM
hockey nut

vCash: 500
I was slightly off...

ATM, Anaheim isn't quite ready to use one of their goalies in Portland as backup, so you'd have to trade Frolov and Garon for Giguere.

hockey nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 06:56 AM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey nut View Post
I was slightly off...

ATM, Anaheim isn't quite ready to use one of their goalies in Portland as backup, so you'd have to trade Frolov and Garon for Giguere.
Giggy is an overpaid, average, NHL goalie in a saturated market. Not a chance he gets a return like that. Your proposal is laughable.

If Giguere played for the Kings last year, his SV% would have been below .900 and his GAA would have been 3.00+.

johnjm22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:03 AM
guzmania

hockey nut = Used Car Salesman

"This baby's got another 100,000 miles easy!"
"Besides you'll be the only guy in La Habra with a Gremlin!"
"Horsepower is way over-rated".

guzmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:07 AM
Mr_Jones*

I don't get this talk of Fro not being a #1 LW. He was the #1 LW at the start of the season and he was just fine. It's not like he lacks the talent for it (he didn't go 13-18-31 in 24 games by accident). It's just a matter of consistancy, which I think he'll develop over the years.

Mr_Jones* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:26 AM
Game Misconduct

Frolov has the talent to be a perennial all-star, but his work ethic and heart leave something to be desired. I am a big fan of his, but I can't really disagree with what DL said. DL wants guys who are 100% committed to hockey and winning, and Frolov just isn't.

Game Misconduct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:48 AM
dbbourn

vCash: 50
Not ready to give up on Frolov yet

Like somebody said in a previous post, Frolov's numbers are getting better every year. Last season the team fell apart AND he his shoulder injury cut into his production, yet he still managed to put up pretty decent numbers. His point production has increased every year. I'm not ready to replace him yet and think eventually, if not now, he will be 1st line material. TSN still lists his potential as a "1st line winger" and I don't disagree.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...name=nhl-kings

Undoubtedbly he is one of our better players right now. 2nd best +/- on the team last year at +17.

dbbourn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:24 AM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post

"You think you hate it now-wait til you drive it".

The Tikkanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:43 AM
Tadite

Quote:
Originally Posted by guzmania View Post

Yup. But he got 3 pages of complete crap out of it.

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 12:15 PM
cyrisweb

Frolov, Brown
for
Naslund, Kesler, Koltsov/2nd

??? I don't think either team does it.. but I think it would be cool to have Frolov on the Canucks.

cyrisweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:21 PM
Bandit

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey nut View Post
I was slightly off...

Yeah, better throw Brown & Gleason in there too. Otherwise, I don't think the ducks will bite...

Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:26 PM
Osprey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbourn View Post
Like somebody said in a previous post, Frolov's numbers are getting better every year. Last season the team fell apart AND he his shoulder injury cut into his production, yet he still managed to put up pretty decent numbers. His point production has increased every year.
I think that what concerns Lombardi is that Frolov may put up points, but if it never gets the team anywhere, what's the point? Would you rather Frolov become a point-per-game player and prove to be a #1 LW or have a successful team? Some may argue that it's possible to have both, but Lombardi appears to have serious doubts that it is, and he seems to know what he's doing. I think that he needs to be trusted if he decides that Frolov isn't conducive to a competitive team.

Last edited by Osprey: 07-31-2006 at 01:52 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:31 PM
rt
Usually Incorrect

What about Pittsburgh?

Frolov for Malone + Welch/Stone + Ouellet/Christianson

Anywhere near fair?

rt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Beauty, eh?
Not sure if serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Frolov for Malone + Welch/Stone + Ouellet/Christianson

Anywhere near fair?
No.

Beauty, eh? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:51 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beauty, eh? View Post
No.
Do you mean for the Kings or Pens? Because Malone + Welch + Oulette seems like a damn good return for the Kings if DL wants to deal Frolov.

kingsfan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:58 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
Like somebody said in a previous post, Frolov's numbers are getting better every year. Last season the team fell apart AND he his shoulder injury cut into his production, yet he still managed to put up pretty decent numbers. His point production has increased every year. I'm not ready to replace him yet and think eventually, if not now, he will be 1st line material. TSN still lists his potential as a "1st line winger" and I don't disagree.
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...name=nhl-kings

Undoubtedbly he is one of our better players right now. 2nd best +/- on the team last year at +17.
Frolov rarely shows up on big games. And more often then not, he just plays as a mediocre player. Even on the games he scores, he seems to do so quietly, not really ever taking the team on his back and making a difference. He may have the skill to change gamees, but he has yet to prove it. Based on the current information we have now, it is more likely the not he's not goign to become the franchise or even dominant 1st line player we want him to be.

KingPurpleDinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 03:39 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
I think that what concerns Lombardi is that Frolov may put up points, but if it never gets the team anywhere, what's the point? Would you rather Frolov become a point-per-game player and prove to be a #1 LW or have a successful team? Some may argue that it's possible to have both, but Lombardi appears to have serious doubts that it is, and he seems to know what he's doing. I think that he needs to be trusted if he decides that Frolov isn't conducive to a competitive team.
All I read was that Lombardi needs to get Frolov going, and at no point did he exclude Frolov from the King's future plans. I understand that this thread is just speculation, but perhaps it is difficult to be hard on a player that has played a majority of his time with 2nd and 3rd line players. Obviously Frolov has the talent, but I think finding the correct chemistry to get a player going is the job of the coach and GM. I can see that Frolov doesn't always show that competitive edge DL is looking for. Perhaps in the past he has had bad examples set for him, or maybe he hasn't been set up with the correct linemates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
Frolov rarely shows up on big games. And more often then not, he just plays as a mediocre player. Even on the games he scores, he seems to do so quietly, not really ever taking the team on his back and making a difference. He may have the skill to change gamees, but he has yet to prove it. Based on the current information we have now, it is more likely the not he's not goign to become the franchise or even dominant 1st line player we want him to be.
I understand your point, Frolov certainly hasn't been "Mr. Clutch," but a team isn't made up of 23 franchise players. He certainly is a servicable 2nd liner at worst and deserves a little more time than 3 seasons. He's still young and deserves to be a piece of this team. If we were so upset with his performance we would have seen many "What can we get for Frolov" threads in here, so I don't think his performance has upset us too much.

Perhaps I am just upset because of the potential that the face of this team can change so quickly. If management replaced every player on the roster would you still be a Kings fan?

Old
07-31-2006, 03:49 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
All I read was that Lombardi needs to get Frolov going, and at no point did he exclude Frolov from the King's future plans. I understand that this thread is just speculation, but perhaps it is difficult to be hard on a player that has played a majority of his time with 2nd and 3rd line players. Obviously Frolov has the talent, but I think finding the correct chemistry to get a player going is the job of the coach and GM. I can see that Frolov doesn't always show that competitive edge DL is looking for. Perhaps in the past he has had bad examples set for him, or maybe he hasn't been set up with the correct linemates.

Maybe he has. However, I don't have the same qualms about Cammalleri as I do about Frolov and he's been playing with the same examples.

And I think alot of the Fro trade talk is coming from GM's conversation with DL after the Breakfast.

Old
07-31-2006, 03:53 PM
Osprey

Quote:
All I read was that Lombardi needs to get Frolov going, and at no point did he exclude Frolov from the King's future plans.
As kingsfan25 pointed out, Game Misconduct heard Lombardi say after the event on Saturday that he questioned Frolov's competitiveness (or something like that... see GM's post).

All players don't need to be franchise players, as you said, and Frolov is certainly good enough to be a 2nd-liner... but I think that the issue is that he can practically command 1st-line trade value at the moment. That is why trading him seems favorable right now, IMO. If you have a 2nd-liner who can fetch almost 1st-line value, wouldn't you take advantage of the opportunity, especially when it might bring a real 1st-liner like Briere or Gomez?

Last edited by Osprey: 07-31-2006 at 03:59 PM.
Osprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 04:17 PM
Tadite

Quote:
. If you have a 2nd-liner who can fetch almost 1st-line value, wouldn't you take advantage of the opportunity, especially when it might bring a real 1st-liner like Briere or Gomez?
No you don't. Because as DL said why trade a guy who is a top line player for the next 4 years for a guy who could be gone in a year?

Tadite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 04:34 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadite View Post
No you don't. Because as DL said why trade a guy who is a top line player for the next 4 years for a guy who could be gone in a year?
So you can potentially get a player with the character that you want to your bargaining table. Granted there's a big risk there, but if DL doesn't believe in Frolov, a risk might be warranted if it brings in a player that he does believe in.

Old
07-31-2006, 04:36 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsfan25 View Post
So you can potentially get a player with the character that you want to your bargaining table. Granted there's a big risk there, but if DL doesn't believe in Frolov, a risk might be warranted if it brings in a player that he does believe in.
And then when said player leaves via free agency and we are out him and the guy we traded him for, what then?

Too big of a risk imo.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 04:37 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
As kingsfan25 pointed out, Game Misconduct heard Lombardi say after the event on Saturday that he questioned Frolov's competitiveness (or something like that... see GM's post).

All players don't need to be franchise players, as you said, and Frolov is certainly good enough to be a 2nd-liner... but I think that the issue is that he can practically command 1st-line trade value at the moment. That is why trading him seems favorable right now, IMO. If you have a 2nd-liner who can fetch almost 1st-line value, wouldn't you take advantage of the opportunity, especially when it might bring a real 1st-liner like Briere or Gomez?
I didn't know Game Misconduct spoke with DL after the breakfast. I've been away all weekend (playing hockey ) and tried to catch up on the threads in a very short period of time. I thought GM was just speculating on how the breakfast went, which I read the link to LGK word for word . Guess I should read a little more carefully.

I guess I've always had an affinity for home-grown players and get upset at the prospect of them getting dealt. Call me crazy, but I would rather have Frolov for 4 years over Gomez or Briere for 1 year.

Old
07-31-2006, 04:39 PM
Reaper45

Send a message via AIM to Reaper45
Quote:

I guess I've always had an affinity for home-grown players and get upset at the prospect of them getting dealt. Call me crazy, but I would rather have Frolov for 4 years over Gomez or Briere for 1 year.
Don't feel bad, I'm the same way. For years we dealt away our prospects before they turned into anything, and now we have a guy who we've brought along the right way, and has only been on the team for 3 years constantly progressing, and people want to give up on him already.

Reaper45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 04:44 PM
dbbourn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
Don't feel bad, I'm the same way. For years we dealt away our prospects before they turned into anything, and now we have a guy who we've brought along the right way, and has only been on the team for 3 years constantly progressing, and people want to give up on him already.
How good would Jokinen look on this team now? Granted, that deal brought us Palffy, and Smolinski, which essentially became Gleason. Still, he would be a nice piece to the puzzle right now.

Old
07-31-2006, 04:45 PM
kingsfan25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper45 View Post
And then when said player leaves via free agency and we are out him and the guy we traded him for, what then?

Too big of a risk imo.
If DL doesn't like him, hanging onto him for 4 years while he tries to build the team he wants won't make alot of sense. I agree about the risk...the top six is questionable enough as it is and Frolov, despite his perceived shortcomings, has proven that he can produce at a top-six level. If DL were to swing a deal for a player of better ilk, I don't see it as impossible that he could get some assurances that said player would be willing to sign with LA long term...after all, players are often consulted with regards to their trade destinations by the GM that's shipping them out. If DL wants some assurances before a trade is pulled off, I'm sure he could get them. Granted, such assurances wouldn't be set in stone by any means, but it does reduce the risk to an extent.

It would seem that DL is willing to let Frolov stay and play himself back into his good graces if the right trade isn't available...but if the right deal does come along before the season starts, and Frolov doesn't, in fact, strike him as the kind of player he wants around, the trade might be warranted.