HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 01:04 AM
McSkittlez
Jumbo Trollton

vCash: 500

I was watching someone play this and I thought this was amazing. Just built a huge circular road on a cliff. You can also see another player's city in the background. The other player would be like what the **** is that?

Old
03-15-2013, 08:16 AM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamondillium View Post
Think I went with ultra, just so I never have to worry about traffic again.
That's what I use, and I still get a lot of congestion in my bigger cities. But that's because I like to cram the sims in to my cities like sardines.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Have the servers improved? Would also like some input on whether my laptop can run this:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 460 @ 2.53GHz (4 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 4096MB RAM
Chip type: Intel(R) HD Graphics (Core i5)
Shared Memory: 1632 MB

I know the graphics card sucks, but I don't care if I run on low to mid. Everything else seems good enough, no?

Old
03-15-2013, 12:28 PM
Lockout Season

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
Have the servers improved? Would also like some input on whether my laptop can run this:

I know the graphics card sucks, but I don't care if I run on low to mid. Everything else seems good enough, no?
It will run. I have it installed on a Surface Pro and it runs fine with everything on low.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:54 PM
leova

so i started playing Sim City 4 recently, and whenever I try to zone some high-density residential, they always show some odd icon, looks like a green car inside of a "no"-style sign, as in "we lack cars" or something....they have power, water, road, and service access....

anyone know what that means?

Old
03-15-2013, 02:05 PM
Kbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by leova View Post
so i started playing Sim City 4 recently, and whenever I try to zone some high-density residential, they always show some odd icon, looks like a green car inside of a "no"-style sign, as in "we lack cars" or something....they have power, water, road, and service access....

It means there isn't proper road access for their home. Either they can't leave their home or they can't get back to their home after leaving.

Old
03-15-2013, 02:27 PM
vBurmi
Blue-Line Dekes

vCash: 3666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post

Servers are fine. They upgraded all of them and added a bunch. Your laptop can handle it easily on low, maybe mid (for some settings). Mine is 4 years old with lesser everything and it runs on low.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:03 PM
Diamondillium
DO YOU WANT ANTS!?

Quote:

Yeah, it means no road.

However, since I've started playing again I noticed that although there is road access, it says there isn't. Just need to simulate for a little while before it goes away in that scenario.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:39 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:

Run the game for a few months and if it's still showing the green car zots, snap a picture of the area and link it here. Sometimes when a city starts to grow some of the zones get confused and show a no road zot for a couple months. It always goes away eventually, however. This most often happens either a couple months after zoning, before anything has built, or immediately after something has been built.

Old
03-15-2013, 05:34 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Are those fire choppers worth the investment?

Old
03-15-2013, 07:21 PM
The Gourmet
Potage Le Magnifique

Anyone in a region with an open city? My Origin ID is iPlay360Nude.

Old
03-15-2013, 07:47 PM
Belamorte
Feed Your Head

Shelved this game until some proper gameplay fixes or something comes along. One of the worst money spent for one of my most anticipated games. I knew better than to buy it right away but Im a sucker once again.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:56 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

I think I might stow this game as well. Sick of the tiny maps and retarded traffic jams.

edit: yep, done with the game. So sick of my city burning down, having criminals running amok and my sims dying all the while my emergency vehicles are bogged down in traffic. Same ******* thing applies to my trade trucks as well. ****ing hard to level up the HQ's when the trucks are stuck on the main highway out side the ******* city. **** this game.

Last edited by Sovereign: 03-15-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Old
03-15-2013, 10:19 PM
WhipNash27
Quattro!!

I haven't had much desire to play it recently because of the fact that everything is broken. I'll wait for EA to put out a few patches before I go back to it.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:08 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

I am interested to see how EA reacts to the revelation that its always on requirement is nothing more than a hacked in connection checker, and also what it does now that someone has posted a hack to get around it and play offline indefinitely.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:18 PM
Dave
º

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avder View Post
I am interested to see how EA reacts to the revelation that its always on requirement is nothing more than a hacked in connection checker, and also what it does now that someone has posted a hack to get around it and play offline indefinitely.
http://consumerist.com/2013/03/15/ea...th-our-vision/

Old
03-16-2013, 02:45 PM
XX
... Waiting

Got to a 350k sustainable city. Just one giant traffic jam, even with a careful layout. Criminals can light the city on fire all they want. Police and fire aren't getting through the traffic. Water table isn't replenishing at all. Garbage/recycling trucks can't get through either, making everyone sick.

If a sim is in your city for more than a day, they should disappear. That and eliminating U-turns for everything except service vehicles would be just dandy.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Sovereign
sic parvis magna

Don't you love it when your vehicles are jammed up in traffic?

edit: Do you all think Maxis/EA will fix these issues?

Last edited by Sovereign: 03-16-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
XX
... Waiting

They are working on a weighted system that tells sims to choose the better road and adjust for congestion. But anything too complicated is going to require more processing power. I'm not sure if any of it will make a difference. At this point, I'd just go for a flat reduction on the # of cars roaming around until they come up with a playable solution.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:47 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

They are really grasping at straws, aren't they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Got to a 350k sustainable city. Just one giant traffic jam, even with a careful layout. Criminals can light the city on fire all they want. Police and fire aren't getting through the traffic. Water table isn't replenishing at all. Garbage/recycling trucks can't get through either, making everyone sick.

If a sim is in your city for more than a day, they should disappear. That and eliminating U-turns for everything except service vehicles would be just dandy.
How the hell is that sustainable? That sounds like they should be trying to leave town in droves.

Then again I spose they can't since they get stuck in traffic.

Also your population is nowhere near 350k. I'm guessing like 40-60k tops.

EA really has ruined Sim City forever. The series ended at 4.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

I love this;

Quote:
But we’re also hearing from thousands of people who are playing across regions, trading, communicating and loving the Always-Connected functionality.
The players aren't love the "Always-Connected" functionality, they are loving the online play. I'm sure every single player in the world (besides EA fanboys) would prefer a game to have the option to play offline (traveling, etc).

Like the article states, I love Call of Duty and I play online. I buy it for online. I buy it for multiplayer. If it was "Always-Online" I'd still buy it, probably, but I would be frustrated. And I wouldn't be loving the "Always Online" functionality.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
They are working on a weighted system that tells sims to choose the better road and adjust for congestion. But anything too complicated is going to require more processing power. I'm not sure if any of it will make a difference. At this point, I'd just go for a flat reduction on the # of cars roaming around until they come up with a playable solution.
If my computer can calculate routes for 3.1 million sims in a large tile SC4 city with roads, highways, a citywide subway system, and several hundred thousand driving through town on their commute to work, there really is no excuse for them to not be able to do something similar in this new one. Sure it might require the game to slow down a bit when figuring out everyone's route to work every morning, but it is not that hard to figure out what weight to give roads based on capacity and congestion.

And if they are smart, they would have different jobs start and end at different hours of the day like what happens in real life. Have the factory works go to work at 6am and get off at 2 pm, have the office suits work from 9 to have. Have a 2nd shift at some industrial buildings that goes from 2pm to 10pm. Have a couple fast food joints stay open all night. Make sure the janotors are staying late at their job. That would really smooth things out so the simulation doesnt have to figure everything out with every sim leaving for work at the same time every day.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:25 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I want to choke a ***** out. Guess which one?

Old
03-16-2013, 05:36 PM
SniperHF
Global Moderator
J-Rock in the house!

Pt 2
http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1377193

Closed Thread