HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Respect for Mikey (merged)

Old
07-31-2006, 02:33 PM
mcphee

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by habfan4 View Post
I was with you until the Irishman of the Year Award, if Gros Bill doesn't win it this year, I'm renouncing my Irish heritage.
Me too.

mcphee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:43 PM
Dr_Hook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darz View Post
Imo, this is a very simple and easy answer.

Ribeiro needs to keep moving his feet, and shut his mouth.

All his problem start when he starts to glide too much. One of Ribeiro's biggest talent is he can pull off great moves while skating at top speed, but these moves fail 99% of the time if he feet aren't moving.

If Ribeiro is skating hard each shift, he will do well. If not, he's in trouble.
DITTO TO THAT !!! As I said in my original post, looks are worsening the perceptions, but in truth, his crooked cap and fat-*** pants are the least of his problems. If he start performing and stop whining ( oh the coaches didn't like me... the refs don't give me the calls... the media hates me... POOR LITTLE MISUNDERSTOOD PERSECUTED ME !!! ).

Cause to be honest, he could put on a conventionnal light grey suit with a drab tie and lose the cap, if he whines all the time and keep acting like a little brat, the suit wouldn't change a thing.

Dr_Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 02:48 PM
pepperMonkey

Dress? He could dress like a girl for all I care.

Respect? As long as he does his job I couldn't care less if he dressed like a girl, had a third arm, missing an eye, skinny as a stick. Course I suppose it would make doing his job a bit harder...
Murray as a 4th line centre? err...I like Murray and his work ethic but...
Plecky as an amazing 2nd line centre? If he beats Ribs for the role, then fine but as of now, I don't see him being "amazing" beside Kovy.
Frankly, if he improves on his 65 pt performance (as in 03), works as hard as he did in the latter portion of the season and has a decent +/- (-6 for last year isn't THAT bad...but a positive would be nice) then I'll be satisfied. If he gets like 80pts, I would accept a -6 considering he would have more points by far than anyone else on the team last year (someone PLEEEZE get 80+ pts this year!).
So...
70pts+
0 +/-
works as hard as he did in the latter half of the season
...if this is true, I'll be more than okay.
Couldn't care less if he get's thrown from one side of the ice to another, wears girls cloths, mouths offs as he does, fights and gets beat up, slow as a rock not rolling and shoots like a pansy. As long as he gets the job done.

Btw, maybe he should call up his bud Dags and have him coach Ribs how to get the damn puck in the net.

pepperMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
goalchenyuk

the more i read this thread , the less i understand what people are expected from Ribeiro .

what is exactly the typical production of a second liner center ? or of a good second liner ?

The season Saku played all the games , he had 71 or 72 points . I know that the hockey is now more open , but i find ironic that posters expected from a second liner , what is the highest numbers of our captain K .

How much centers got more than 70 pts last season ?

goalchenyuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 03:24 PM
Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
What would Ribiero have to do to gain the average fan's respect
Request a trade.

Habs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 03:31 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
what is exactly the typical production of a second liner center ? or of a good second liner ?

How much centers got more than 70 pts last season ?
i looked to the NHL stats and there were 23 centers last season , that had 70 or more points . That confirms me that the expectations are too high about Ribeiro . 60 points is already a good production for a second liner .

Old
07-31-2006, 03:37 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabutie View Post
If and when we do, I hope that you move onto the leafs.
Do you mean cheer for the Leafs? Please tell me how suggesting a change that will help Montreal win more games is akin to cheering for the Leafs.

Shabutie, Ribeiro means more losses for the Montreal Canadiens so forgive me for finding it ironic that you, a Ribeiro fan, is questioning my loyalty to the team. After all, if Ribeiro means more losses, then Ribeiro fans are clearly articulting their preference that the Habs lose more games. Interestingly, that is something that both Ribeiro fans and Leaf fans have in common. They both like Ribeiro on the Habs.

Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 03:45 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by #ZAMBONI# View Post
i looked to the NHL stats and there were 23 centers last season , that had 70 or more points . That confirms me that the expectations are too high about Ribeiro . 60 points is already a good production for a second liner .
Actually you are right. 60 for a 2nd is good. What people have problems with is not necessarily his point production (although they would always mention how he didn't step up and produced while Koivu was out, didn't perform in the playoffs, can't shoot, blah blah blah) but his work ethic and how he gives up the puck or can't get the bodies off the puck i.e. being weak which corresponds to his bad +/-....course they only remember the -14, -15 midway through the season (whatever it was) and not the -6 he ended up with.
So...frankly, if he gets decent points (60-70) with a +/- of 0 I would be more than happy...but others won't. He could get 70-80 pts, but if he's still scrawny, slow, weak, glides (with or without tights) and mouths off they would rather waive him and place Pleky in his stead. Mind boggling actually.

Old
07-31-2006, 04:20 PM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

I always think people see things in Ribeiro that are not there about the badmouthing and all that stuff. He`s not worst at it that any guys in Habs jerseys. You say he doesn`t have heart?! Maybe we`ve not seen the same games last year because he was giving his all. But he doesn`t have the physique to do much more. It`s not that he doesn`t want to, it`s that he can`t. Plain and simple.

Kimota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 04:41 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I always think people see things in Ribeiro that are not there about the badmouthing and all that stuff. He`s not worst at it that any guys in Habs jerseys. You say he doesn`t have heart?! Maybe we`ve not seen the same games last year because he was giving his all. But he doesn`t have the physique to do much more. It`s not that he doesn`t want to, it`s that he can`t. Plain and simple.
If that's all he's got....he and we are in trouble.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 05:02 PM
wholeshow*

ribeiro's problem is that he's a talented guy but slacks off way too much in the offseason and plays like the game is a joke. he has this cocky mentality that rubs many the wrong way, but with this coaching staff (well jarvis and gainey)...we saw a changed ribeiro. one who paid the price to make a play. he was battling in corners and not playing like a 'creampuff.' ribeiro played really well in the playoffs, he just couldn't score (many people had this problem against cam ward throughout the playoffs). he cant run into a hot goaltender in every game, so i expect him to play much better this season with his improved linemates.

yes, 65 points for a second line center is good. but with his linemates i expect 70+ points. i expect more from saku.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 05:15 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
[QUOTE]
Putting up points is not Ribeiro's problem. His problems are everything else, except in the playoffs where he also has trouble putting up points. If he gets 80 pts and ends up +/- minus 15, well then that more than erases the benefits of his 80 pts. Ribeiro is consistently a minus-type player.

Consecutive one-year contracts is not a sign of respect. In Ribeiro's case it is a sign that he is not in the long term plans of the organization. Bob would not want to handicap the team by having to pay Ribeiro a salary in 2008 should his replacement be found this year. The one-year salary means that we are currently searching for that replacement.

To gain my respect, he would have to do all of the following in no particular order:

1) Win more than 50% of his face-offs
2) forecheck
3) backcheck
4) get faster
5) develop grit
6) get stronger
7) show up for the playoffs
8) score in empty nets during the playoffs
9) perhaps related to others...finish in the plus category.

All reports that he was "stronger" and developing a better work ethic were based on anecdotal evidence (one game here, one game there) and because Koivu was slumping. It was a fabrication by a few of the usual suspects who wish to see the Habs retain a certain composition on the team.

I simply can't understand the incessant confidence people show in Ribeiro. He had one good year, and that was playing side-kick to Michael Ryder. The constant, creative rationalizing in these threads reminds me a lot of older debates about another one-year wonder we got rid of. RIBEIRO is the major obstacle standing between the Habs and a shot at competing for the cup.[QUOTE]

In other words he would gain your respect if he became Mats Sundin?

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 05:26 PM
pepperMonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post

Err...no, that's not possible as Mats is a Leaf and as long as he is a Leaf, he'll be considered as a player that sucks to most anti-leafs fans.
Well, okay, I don't know what this particular poster would think but I'm sure there's more than a few who thinks Mats is over rated. Personally, Mats, although getting older would be absolutely amazing on our team...he gets way more points than any on our team playing along with the likes of Domi (sometimes) and other err...questionable 1st line players as his wing...course, not that this would ever happen.

Old
07-31-2006, 05:45 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catch-22 View Post
Do you mean cheer for the Leafs? Please tell me how suggesting a change that will help Montreal win more games is akin to cheering for the Leafs.

Shabutie, Ribeiro means more losses for the Montreal Canadiens so forgive me for finding it ironic that you, a Ribeiro fan, is questioning my loyalty to the team. After all, if Ribeiro means more losses, then Ribeiro fans are clearly articulting their preference that the Habs lose more games. Interestingly, that is something that both Ribeiro fans and Leaf fans have in common. They both like Ribeiro on the Habs.
Ribeiro means more losses for Montreal ...

i love this one !

I ' ve always think that hockey was a team concept sport . Ribeiro had more points in the last 2 seasons , than most of the players of the Habs , more than the second liners of all the NHL , and if you combine the two season is something likes +9 . Ribeiro is on the top of the forwards of the team also for one of the better stats of Takesaways minus Givesaways , so there is something false in your mind .

Are there other players on the team that are meaning looses , or Ribeiro is the only one ?

Old
07-31-2006, 05:49 PM
goalchenyuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepperMonkey View Post
Err...no, that's not possible as Mats is a Leaf and as long as he is a Leaf, he'll be considered as a player that sucks to most anti-leafs fans.
Well, okay, I don't know what this particular poster would think but I'm sure there's more than a few who thinks Mats is over rated. Personally, Mats, although getting older would be absolutely amazing on our team...he gets way more points than any on our team playing along with the likes of Domi (sometimes) and other err...questionable 1st line players as his wing...course, not that this would ever happen.
I would take him right away to centering the first line . Than you put Kaptain Koivu on the second , and than , you could say bye bye Ribeiro .

Old
07-31-2006, 05:51 PM
Catch-22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moester View Post

I would be happy if he were more like Tomas Plekanec, who will prove to be a good all around hockey player and who's offensive talent is significantly underrated. This guy could easily do Ribeiro's job.

Let me be clear. I do not expect any player to be a Mats Sundin. The problem is that in this thread, we are asked to consider what Ribeiro would need to do to get respect. How about asking us what he would need to do to help the Montreal Canadiens win?

My original post is meant to seem hopeless. No player can possibly change all of the thngs I mentioned. That would require a complete change in style and take him away from the game that brought him to the NHL. As far as I am concerned, Ribeiro does not possess the playing style necessary to be effective in the NHL. Therefore, he cannot gain my respect. Far more importantly, he cannot help our team win.

Last edited by Catch-22: 07-31-2006 at 06:10 PM.
Catch-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 06:35 PM
Moester

Send a message via AIM to Moester Send a message via MSN to Moester
Quote:
I would be happy if he were more like Tomas Plekanec, who will prove to be a good all around hockey player and who's offensive talent is significantly underrated. This guy could easily do Ribeiro's job.

Let me be clear. I do not expect any player to be a Mats Sundin. The problem is that in this thread, we are asked to consider what Ribeiro would need to do to get respect. How about asking us what he would need to do to help the Montreal Canadiens win?

My original post is meant to seem hopeless. No player can possibly change all of the thngs I mentioned. That would require a complete change in style and take him away from the game that brought him to the NHL. As far as I am concerned, Ribeiro does not possess the playing style necessary to be effective in the NHL. Therefore, he cannot gain my respect. Far more importantly, he cannot help our team win.
Then a more accurate listing would be for you to say that NOTHING would make you respect him. Personally I like him as a player and I think that he just needs to bulk up a little, other than that, he needs to play a with a little more heart, other than that I think he's a great #2 centre. There's nothing wrong with his overall playing style; he just needs to play with heart a little more consistently.

Moester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 10:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Great post

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-01-2006, 11:33 PM
pepperMonkey

What's everyones problem? If it wasn't for him, this board would be dead. No one would have such heated conversations. Yeah, there's other players to complain about but no one, NO one comes even close to the venom and honey, hate and love that ole ribby brings to the club. For a guy that gets soooo much attention and dissing from fans, he brings out the passion out of all of us. And "that" my folks deserves respect.

Old
08-01-2006, 11:57 PM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Get off Ribeiro's Back

2 Seasons ago you were ALL on his ****, fantasizing about how great he would be, bleh blah blah, he was this and he was that, and he was finally coming through

Now he's the lowest of low, the crap of all crap and everything... I can name you 5players from last years team that i'dve gotten rid of before Ribeiro in 2 seconds

I can still name 5 players on this team, it just obviously takes me a bit more time.

So please all you Mikey haters...get off the boys back..he's obviously done something YOU HAVEN'T DONE to get recognized by our glorious franchise, and to be thought of as a 2nd line center for our team, something none of you can put on your resume.

So in conclusion again i say...please get off the dude's back...he's actually not going to get better because of your constant bickering and *****ing, he doesn't even get these posts sent to him. Still it's cowardly to talk of someone like this when he's not around to defend himself.

Gosh!...

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
The n00b King ©*

no

besides, it's not like he could actually carry me

although i'll admit, he's finally learned how to tie his skates

The n00b King ©* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:00 AM
DerekT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
George Bush hates black people
Fixed

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:04 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekT View Post
Fixed
oh man... all nighter

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:06 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
2 Seasons ago you were ALL on his ****, fantasizing about how great he would be, bleh blah blah, he was this and he was that, and he was finally coming through

Now he's the lowest of low, the crap of all crap and everything... I can name you 5players from last years team that i'dve gotten rid of before Ribeiro in 2 seconds

I can still name 5 players on this team, it just obviously takes me a bit more time.

So please all you Mikey haters...get off the boys back..he's obviously done something YOU HAVEN'T DONE to get recognized by our glorious franchise, and to be thought of as a 2nd line center for our team, something none of you can put on your resume.

So in conclusion again i say...please get off the dude's back...he's actually not going to get better because of your constant bickering and *****ing, he doesn't even get these posts sent to him. Still it's cowardly to talk of someone like this when he's not around to defend himself.

Gosh!...
agreed. useless hate.

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-02-2006, 12:07 AM
Stefan

Send a message via MSN to Stefan
I'm sure I speak for many of us when I say I would never get on Ribeiro's back...

Stefan is offline   Reply With Quote