HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Old
03-07-2013, 12:22 PM
joe89

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post
Its pretty hard to say considering no one knows where the wings will be picking. If they were picking at say 10th overall for example, moving up to seven wouldnt cost the 10th overall and Nyquist/Smith or whoever
I think the 7th overall pick is pretty fair in value with the 10th overall pick + 40th overall pick. Depends a bit on how your draft list looks though.

joe89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:44 PM
probertrules24

Not sure if this has been mentioned but would anybody be interested in trading our first and third to Montreal for their seconds.

Detroit - 14th *
Detroit - 74th *

Montreal - 39th *
Montreal - 42nd *
Detroit - 44th *
Montreal - 57th *

* guess on where everybody ends up.

So Detroit trades their 1st and 3rd for Montreal's three 2nd rounders (via Calgay, Nashville and Montreal)

Our second rounders are usually pretty good prospects.
49 2 Martin Frk
35 2 Tomas Jurco
48 2 Xavier Ouellet
55 2 Ryan Sproul
51 2 Calle Jarnkrok
32 2 Landon Ferraro
60 2 Tomas Tatar

Last edited by probertrules24: 03-07-2013 at 12:49 PM.
probertrules24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:56 PM
StormSurge9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
I don't know how you guys feel about our pool but I personally feel like we're low on centers, not just high ceiling guys but centers in general. I know Jarnkrok & Sheahan project well & that Ferraro is playing extremely well this year. It just seems that we don't have as much depth there as we do on the wing or on the backend.

So with that in mind asked in the prospects forum who the top centers were and this is the list that they came up with:

In bold are the guys 6'2 or bigger. The reason I want the size is if we do move to the east we're going to need some more grit down the middle to deal with the extra toughness out there (look at MTL as an example of a small team trying to get bigger).

The 2 guys who may fall to us would be Monahan or Lindholm both I would snatch up in an instant, assuming we're picking in 15-20 range. Otherwise I really hope we take Gauthier, he's 6'4 and he do it all. He's also from the Q and we know how much The Wings like their Q boys.
I have watched the Guelph Storm enough to tell you that Dickinson is NOT a natural center. He has played there on occasion, but he is much better suited to the wing.

StormSurge9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 12:57 PM
GoAwayDanCleary
DRWCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by probertrules24 View Post
Not sure if this has been mentioned but would anybody be interested in trading our first and third to Montreal for their seconds.

Detroit - 14th *
Detroit - 74th *

Montreal - 39th *
Montreal - 42nd *
Detroit - 44th *
Montreal - 57th *

* guess on where everybody ends up.

So Detroit trades their 1st and 3rd for Montreal's three 2nd rounders (via Calgay, Nashville and Montreal)

Our second rounders are usually pretty good prospects.
49 2 Martin Frk
35 2 Tomas Jurco
48 2 Xavier Ouellet
55 2 Ryan Sproul
51 2 Calle Jarnkrok
32 2 Landon Ferraro
60 2 Tomas Tatar
We have enough depth IMO. We need a blue-chip center prospect to replace Dats in a few years. Barkov or Lindholm would be perfect, IDK what the chances we can move up that high are though.

GoAwayDanCleary is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 01:04 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
We have enough depth IMO. We need a blue-chip center prospect to replace Dats in a few years. Barkov or Lindholm would be perfect, IDK what the chances we can move up that high are though.
I agree. Either our first rounder is part of trade getting a high end winger/defenseman, or we keep it.

Old
03-07-2013, 02:02 PM
newfy

I actually think a smart draft strategy (that the wings have been shifting towards) is to to get big 2 way guys that are tough to play against.

With a couple of really good young goalies and some solid defensive depth the wings could build a very strong defensive/physical team that could compete. Teams like St Louis and Nashville last year I mean. A strong defense, a really good goalie and a bunch of awesome big two way forwards can make a team very competitive (LA last year).

Even guys like Nyquist and Tatar would fit into that team structure even though they arent big. If the wings dont get a high pick to get that blue chip young guy thats what I would try to do

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 03:15 PM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nose View Post
I want those guys too, but I just don't see us finishing low enough to effectively trade up to get them. If we are picking in the high teens or low 20s, I would consider a trade down. I would also like to turn CC or White into another pick.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Pizzarena
Outta Waiver Stuff

Does lindholm have higher potential than jarnkrok?

Pizzarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:12 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Townsend Beasley View Post
Yes.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:13 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
The argument most people in Sweden use is that Lindholm is almost as good as Järnkrok is now some say Lindholm is even better but I don't agree, and Lindholm is 3 years younger, so if he continues to develope he should be better than järnkrok at the same age...

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:21 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Lindholm is 1 inch taller and is already 20 pounds heavier in his draft then Calle was so he doesn't have the size factor working against him. I think they both have #1C potential but Lindholm is more likely to reach it.

Just for reference this is their 2nd years in the SEL:

2010-2011 Jarnkrok: 49 GP 11G 16A 27P 4 PIM -4
2010-2011 Brynas: 147 GF 157 GA

2012-2013 Lindholm: 48 GP 11G 19A 30P 2 PIM +1
2012-2013 Brynas: 123 GF 166 GA

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:36 PM
joe89

Quote:
Originally Posted by DatsyukToZetterberg View Post
Lindholm is 1 inch taller and is already 20 pounds heavier in his draft then Calle was so he doesn't have the size factor working against him. I think they both have #1C potential but Lindholm is more likely to reach it.

Just for reference this is their 2nd years in the SEL:

2010-2011 Jarnkrok: 49 GP 11G 16A 27P 4 PIM -4
2010-2011 Brynas: 147 GF 157 GA

2012-2013 Lindholm: 48 GP 11G 19A 30P 2 PIM +1
2012-2013 Brynas: 123 GF 166 GA
A little flawed comparison as Calle's second year was post-draft and technically this is Lindholm's first year. But basically what you two said is true, Lindholm's like an advanced Jarnkrok heading into the draft without much of the initial risk.

Old
03-07-2013, 06:48 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Could be but Lindholm is also much more physically developed at the younger age. That limited some of what Calle could do, it isn't like Lindholm has a ton of physical maturing to do, Calle was in the 150's when we drafted him as far as weight. I think Lindholm has a slightly better ceiling than his cousin, but their development tracks are different primarily because of the vast difference in how quick each of them physically matured.

As DatsyuktoZetterberg eluded to with his post it is a big factor. But this is part of the reason Calle was even around in the second round, otherwise he would have been a top ten pick.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 06:56 PM
WayneBruce

Lindholm plays a more aggressive style of hockey, he likes to finish checks and crash the net. I think he also might be the better playmaker. Jarnkrok is a better shooter.

WayneBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 07:03 PM
The Zetterberg Era
Thank you Mr. I, RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlamov71 View Post
Lindholm plays a more aggressive style of hockey, he likes to finish checks and crash the net. I think he also might be the better playmaker. Jarnkrok is a better shooter.
The one thing that cannot be undersold about Jarnkrok though is he is fantastic on the PP point. He reminds me of Backstrom in his ability to take the game over on a PP. It will require we have good players around him, but I think he is going to get PP points by the bucket fulls. That might impact who is the higher scorer in the longrun. He can set up the half wall also. With him and Sproul coming along, the Wings are about to become a dangerous team to put up a man again here shortly. A bunch of our prospects love to do damage on the PP. Something we have been complaining about with the team lately, the fixes are coming for that end of the special teams.

The Zetterberg Era is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe89 View Post
A little flawed comparison as Calle's second year was post-draft and technically this is Lindholm's first year. But basically what you two said is true, Lindholm's like an advanced Jarnkrok heading into the draft without much of the initial risk.
Ah yep. Didn't see that . I assumed that because they were both late in their draft years that it was the same season. In that case Calle had 10 points in 33 games, so Lindholm is something special and the fact he may not even go top 5 shows how deep the top of this draft is.

DatsyukToZetterberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:56 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 50
Is this where you guys discuss the draft??? Anyways, I got you guys in a mock draft on the Habs board and was curious as to what are your organizational needs and strengths. Also, I'm to lazy to look this up, but do you guys have all of your picks in this next draft?

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:00 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
Is this where you guys discuss the draft??? Anyways, I got you guys in a mock draft on the Habs board and was curious as to what are your organizational needs and strengths. Also, I'm to lazy to look this up, but do you guys have all of your picks in this next draft?
All picks in this draft and no extra picks.

Organizational needs is Size, that's the biggest need, but then small things like more right-handed players, preferably right-handed Centers and D.

This is just my 2, there are a few here who has greater knowledge about the prospects and needs etc, but Size I think all will agree with.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:08 PM
InjuredChoker

vCash: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post

Organizational needs is Size, that's the biggest need, but then small things like more right-handed players, preferably right-handed Centers and D.

This is just my 2, there are a few here who has greater knowledge about the prospects and needs etc, but Size I think all will agree with.
I think you nailed it pretty well.

Size. Big two way C with big offensive upside. The biggest thing missing from our prospect pool.

We have defenders but I'd look mean, physical defensive D.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:09 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 50
Quote:

Thanks! Hopefully I can do a good job for your team.

Kobe Armstrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:11 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I think you nailed it pretty well.

Size. Big two way C with big offensive upside. The biggest thing missing from our prospect pool.

We have defenders but I'd look mean, physical defensive D.
Yep, in regards to size, we're talking about big sized players with offensive potential as well, that could play in the top6 eventually.

And D too, we need mean, physical, defense-first-defenders as well. We only have McKee, but he's more of a goon'ish 7th D at best. And then Nedomlel but has no real upside

Old
03-16-2013, 03:29 PM
GT500x
Im OK where we're at

The Wings don't get a sniff at guys like the one's you're describing. lol

GT500x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:33 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT500x View Post
The Wings don't get a sniff at guys like the one's you're describing. lol
They might get a top14/10 pick this year, anything is possible.

I wish the wings could get a player like a Johnny Boychuck/Adam McQuaid on D

Old
03-16-2013, 03:37 PM
ChadS

I think they've helped the lack of RH shots a lot with Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko on D and Järnkrok, Frk, Pulkkinen, Ferraro etc up front. But of course you want to get a couple in each draft. Looking at the Wings D right now, it's actually quite big but could use more physicality and defensive skill. On offense, due to where they've drafted for a long time, they haven't found much elite talent and their prospect pool is clearly a deep one instead of one with top end talent. A lot of "bottom-9" potential but very few kids with 1st line potential.

That's why this year is a HUGE opportunity to pick up a high end prospect. If there's a specific type of player they need with that 1st rounder, I'd say it's a elite forward with size. Just hoping Kenny doesn't trade that pick away, which would be a disaster (I still have nightmares about that 19th pick from last year...).

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:38 PM
newfy

Quote:
Anyone know why Andersson gets to play with Detroit instead of Sheahan? Is he really better? Or is it just that Andersson is more experienced? (had played more Pro-games)
I think its the age thing. Sheahan is definitely a better player but I wonder if its kind of a little punishment for the whole drunk driving incident. Let him play his year down there instead of getting a call up when he probably deserves one.

Its probably a little bit wanting to see what they have in Andersson as well, he hasnt been too bad since hes been up and theyll have decisions to make soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
I would expect the wings to take a hard look at a center like Mantha. Big and power forward potential. On D guys like Nurse or Zadorov would fill a need. But in the first round it wont really come down to need that much. If you had to put money on it expect a North American center in the first round

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote