HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Detroit Red Wings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Red Wings Draft Thread 2013

Old
03-16-2013, 03:41 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I think they've helped the lack of RH shots a lot with Sproul, Jensen, Marchenko on D and Järnkrok, Frk, Pulkkinen, Ferraro etc up front. But of course you want to get a couple in each draft. Looking at the Wings D right now, it's actually quite big but could use more physicality and defensive skill. On offense, due to where they've drafted for a long time, they haven't found much elite talent and their prospect pool is clearly a deep one instead of one with top end talent. A lot of "bottom-9" potential but very few kids with 1st line potential.

That's why this year is a HUGE opportunity to pick up a high end prospect. If there's a specific type of player they need with that 1st rounder, I'd say it's a high end forward with size.
Only Sproul looks like a sure NHLer to me.. Jensen has a decent chance if his skating is as good as what everyone raves about. Marchenko is russian, and injury prone... so there you have that. Frk, Pulkkinen are wingers... Ferraro switched too right? Järnkrok is a natural right handed Center, good, but unless he gets better at faceoffs and stronger he will probably be moved to wing pretty fast... A big right-handed Centerman would be great to have (think Ryan Getzlaf, i know dreamy... or Patrice Bergeron...., also dreamy, but that's what they should aim for)

Last edited by mindfly: 03-16-2013 at 03:45 PM. Reason: Fixed *
mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfy View Post

I would expect the wings to take a hard look at a center like Mantha. Big and power forward potential. On D guys like Nurse or Zadorov would fill a need. But in the first round it wont really come down to need that much. If you had to put money on it expect a North American center in the first round
I thought he was RW?

Anyway, I wouldn't take him with our first. He is one of the oldest guys on this draft. If he was day or two older, he would have been eligible for last year's draft. And wouldn't have gone very high.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
ChadS

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindfly View Post
Only Sproul looks like a sure NHLer to me.. Jensen has a decent chance if his skating is as good as what everyone raves about. Marchenko is russian, and injury prone... so there you have that. Frk, Pulkkinen are wingers... Ferraro switched too right? Järnkrok is a natural right handed D, good, but unless he gets better at faceoffs and stronger he will probably be moved to wing pretty fast... A big right-handed Centerman would be great to have (think Ryan Getzlaf, i know dreamy... or Patrice Bergeron...., also dreamy, but that's what they should aim for)
I agree that's what they should look for. Just pointing out that lately they have found some good right-handed guys. I believe in Jensen and Marchenko becoming NHLers just as much as Sproul who clearly has his fair share of developing to do. Ferraro still plays center at least part of the time.

Looking at some rankings, it seems like there aren't many "big&skilled centers" after about #10. Do you think there's a guy like that available if we're picking just outside of the top-10 or would they just go best player available (which they usually do)? I have never seen someone like Gauthier play but his stats and size make him seem quite interesting.

ChadS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:30 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadS View Post
I agree that's what they should look for. Just pointing out that lately they have found some good right-handed guys. I believe in Jensen and Marchenko becoming NHLers just as much as Sproul who clearly has his fair share of developing to do. Ferraro still plays center at least part of the time.

Looking at some rankings, it seems like there aren't many "big&skilled centers" after about #10. Do you think there's a guy like that available if we're picking just outside of the top-10 or would they just go best player available (which they usually do)? I have never seen someone like Gauthier play but his stats and size make him seem quite interesting.
Gauthier is one of the few. Lazar is too small I guess, around 6 or so. Would still want him but he is maybe little reach at just outside of top ten. Maybe closer to 20. He is one of the players I'd like. Get a late first and take Lazar or Hägg with it.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:40 PM
newfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
I thought he was RW?

Anyway, I wouldn't take him with our first. He is one of the oldest guys on this draft. If he was day or two older, he would have been eligible for last year's draft. And wouldn't have gone very high.
Yeah he is a winger I said center but I was wrong. Hes the type of player I would aim for though. Even if he is older its still his draft year. Hes got like 48 goals in 66 games this year, if he had been drafted last year in the first round he would still be looking great now.

Hes about 6'4, a tonne of talent and a little mean. People question his consistency, he sounds a lot like Getzlaf coming out of junior

newfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
Vatican Roulette
Mona Lisa Lily

Bump...it's that time of year, who is on your radar. I haven't seen Krupic play, but he sounds like someone Detroit would look at.

Vatican Roulette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:11 PM
djdan6215

2013 first round draft pick

this year the wings have probably a top 20 first round draft pick maybe 17,18,19 or 20 ..
what the wings need in the first round

a defense or a forward ?? they have a lot of good players available probably available at this rank..
there is a list of interesting players

DEFENSE:
mirco muller :Smart, puck-moving Swiss blueliner
robert hagg :Size and tools; big Swede is a solid two-way defender
josh morrisey :Slick puck-mover who plays an efficient game
ryan pullock :Rushing defenseman owns the hardest shot in the draft

FORWARD:
kerby rychel ower forward is an intense competitor and proven goal scorer.
curtis lazar :Speedy center
frederick gauthier :Huge center distributes the puck well and plays solid defensively
anthony mantha :Big forward with a natural scoring touch
valentin zykov :Big, powerful Russian is strong on the puck
bo horvat :Strong, powerful, versatile two-way performer
jacob de la rose :High-energy forward plays a hard-nosed physical game;
hunter shinkaruk ynamic sniper with deceptive speed and a quick release.
adam erne :Hard-rock forward is tough to knock off the puck
max domi :Compact skill package with speed and high hockey IQ;
ryan hartman hysical, aggressive forward who hits hard
anthony duclair : speedy forward

MY CHOICE : KERBY RYCHEL or ANTHONY MANTHA

who is your choice ??

Last edited by djdan6215: 04-06-2013 at 07:24 PM.
djdan6215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:18 PM
JmanWingsFan
Your average Jman

Both Hagg and Lazar interest me very much.

JmanWingsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:20 PM
mindfly
KEN HOLLAND OUT

Since Bäckman seem to turn out so great I'm not so sure drafting Hägg is the best idea, they're very similar IMO.

mindfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:23 PM
Guru Meditation
Service Unavailable

I did some thinking and I'm on the Wennberg hype train. Or, rather, the lack-of-hype train. I think he's got great wheels, excellent skill, and enough size. He strikes me as the type of guy who will be better on a NA rink than an Oly size one with his speed and ability to play in heavy traffic. I have some terrible feeling that the NYR will draft him, though.

If I have to take someone else, it's Gauthier. If even he's gone, I take Ryan Hartman. I really liked Hartman's game at the WJC.

Guru Meditation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:30 PM
Henkka

Right-handed 6'3 defenceman Rasmus Ristolainen would be nice if he drops that low.

Then try to trade some package of left-handed defencemen to a 1st line center talent and our prospect core is perfect.

Henkka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:31 PM
Anchor Town

Quote:
Originally Posted by djdan6215 View Post
this year the wings have probably a top 20 first round draft pick maybe 17,18,19 or 20 ..
what the wings need in the first round

a defense or a forward ?? they have a lot of good players available probably available at this rank..
there is a list of interesting players

DEFENSE:
mirco muller :Smart, puck-moving Swiss blueliner
robert hagg :Size and tools; big Swede is a solid two-way defender
josh morrisey :Slick puck-mover who plays an efficient game
ryan pullock :Rushing defenseman owns the hardest shot in the draft

FORWARD:
kerby rychel ower forward is an intense competitor and proven goal scorer.
curtis lazar :Speedy center
frederick gauthier :Huge center distributes the puck well and plays solid defensively
anthony mantha :Big forward with a natural scoring touch
valentin zykov :Big, powerful Russian is strong on the puck
bo horvat :Strong, powerful, versatile two-way performer
jacob de la rose :High-energy forward plays a hard-nosed physical game;
hunter shinkaruk ynamic sniper with deceptive speed and a quick release.
adam erne :Hard-rock forward is tough to knock off the puck
max domi :Compact skill package with speed and high hockey IQ;
ryan hartman hysical, aggressive forward who hits hard
anthony duclair : speedy forward

MY CHOICE : KERBY RYCHEL or ANTHONY MANTHA

who is your choice ??
Definitely should go after a center is the one of the best players available when we are picking if the next few players available are indistinguishable

Anchor Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 07:43 PM
WesNichols14

I would be happy with Gauthier, Mantha, or Shinkaruk. I feel like our defense is already so log jammed in the prospect system. but a skilled Power forward or a highly skilled forward who has already put up more points in his career than our better forward prospects going through juniors is what could really help our future

unless somehow Nurse falls then you grab him and run

WesNichols14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Rzombo4 prez

the two I really don't want are Lazar and Shinkaruk. I would much prefer one of the bigger forwards.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 09:19 PM
RedWingsNow*
SaskatoonDeathSquad

Rychel from the spitfires?
I'm not impressed with him at all. Good junior player. That's about it.

RedWingsNow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:13 PM
Xvash2

Ristolainen is good, I also liked what Hartman did at the WJC for Team USA.

Xvash2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
sully61
Unregistered User

We better draft a big forward or trade the pick away. We're going to there east, we need size

sully61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 10:29 PM
Jimbo7200

I'd like a few centers out of this draft. Hartman or Gauthier in the first would be awesome. I'd also really like a Russian forward out of this draft, lots of good ones--Nichushkin, Slepyshev, Buchnevich, Yakimov, Mamin, etc.

Edit: I don't see how Nurse, RR, or some of the other defenseman mentioned get out of the top 15. I think our D corps is really solid, so I'd like to see the center spot beefed up. I'm also a proponent of the broken record Wings fan response, "draft size and grit!" A guy like Mike McCarron would a great pickup.

Last edited by Jimbo7200: 04-06-2013 at 10:50 PM.
Jimbo7200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-06-2013, 11:45 PM
Bench
Coffee. Pie. Owls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
We better draft a big forward or trade the pick away. We're going to there east, we need size
The Wings are not only drafting big, but everybody they are favoring in the lineup is big. I wouldn't worry about that.

But even if you are worried, the top 2 teams in the East aren't even close to the top sized teams. Montreal and Pittsburgh weren't even close to top 10 to start the year:

http://mirtle.blogspot.ca/2013/01/20...t-and-age.html

Bench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:27 PM
Cyborg Yzerman
Remember Alf?

vCash: 828
I've said it numerous times, but my pipe dream is to trade up somewhere between the 6-10 spot and draft Monahan. Getting some extra picks by selling our junk, including a second for White would have helped this pipe dream, but Holland is a hoarder.

Last edited by Cyborg Yzerman: 04-07-2013 at 09:34 PM.
Cyborg Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
DatsyukToZetterberg
Alligator!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo7200 View Post
I'd like a few centers out of this draft. Hartman or Gauthier in the first would be awesome. I'd also really like a Russian forward out of this draft, lots of good ones--Nichushkin, Slepyshev, Buchnevich, Yakimov, Mamin, etc.

Edit: I don't see how Nurse, RR, or some of the other defenseman mentioned get out of the top 15. I think our D corps is really solid, so I'd like to see the center spot beefed up. I'm also a proponent of the broken record Wings fan response, "draft size and grit!" A guy like Mike McCarron would a great pickup.
I don't think anyone expected Teuvo Teravainen would fall to 19 or that Maata would fall to 22 but they did. All it takes is for one team to have one player above him or they are picking for a need and the player can fall.

DatsyukToZetterberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:43 AM
Trvp Lord

Send a message via MSN to Trvp Lord
Lindholm
Monahan
Nichushkin
^If we could land one of these 3 forwards I would be extremely pleased.

My other list of 3 players who may be more realistically in our range:
Anthony Mantha
Rasmus Ristolainen
Adam Erne

Trvp Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 12:50 AM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rzombo4 prez View Post
the two I really don't want are Lazar and Shinkaruk. I would much prefer one of the bigger forwards.
I get what you're saying, but this is how you end up with Jessiman instead of Parise.

Hockey Sports Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 05:48 AM
gretskidoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully61 View Post
Montreal is the smallest team in the league. They're having such big problems playing in the big bad East.

**** drafting a big forward just because he's big. Best pick available, not biggest pick available.

gretskidoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-08-2013, 08:53 AM
Rzombo4 prez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
I get what you're saying, but this is how you end up with Jessiman instead of Parise.
I have only eliminated two possible forwards. You avoid the Jessiman situation by taking kids from Brewster in later rounds. Erne, Mantha, Gauhtier, Zykov, Wenneberg, Dickinson, etc. don't present the same risk. I think we will be able to get a bigger player without sacrificing too much on the skill end.

Rzombo4 prez is offline   Reply With Quote