HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

Panthers acquire TJ Brennan from Sabres for 5th Round Pick

Old
03-15-2013, 10:53 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
So, let's recap:

Bad defensively
Great shot
Awful accuracy
Poor hockey IQ?

Sounds like all our current defensemen rolled into one convenient package.
So far that's what Buffalo fans have said, but then again look at the realistic side of it.

He's only 23 (can easily change his game around)
Maybe needs a change of scenery
Has shown to have a good shot on many videos on youtube
Was drafted pretty high in a decent draft
Has done very well in the AHL (127 points in 225 games)
While not knowing how well defensively he plays, his offensive IQ seems to be a lot better than a lot of Buffalo fans call him out to have. He seems to score a lot of goals as a defenseman, he must have some IQ to score goals.
He has a 10% shooting percentage, which as a defenseman is not bad at all (pretty normal) 132 shots and 14 goals this season
6-1, 213 pounds, a reasonably sized D-man, a good comparison would probably be Weaver *size wise*

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-15-2013, 11:49 PM
wunderpanda
Sabretage

Don't forget can't really think of Buffalo as a healthy or constructive environment this season. Ruff didn't use him towards his strengths earlier, Rolston did a bit better. Brennan didn't have much opportunity because of other 'offense minded' guys on the roster.

wunderpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:01 AM
zeroG

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurp26 View Post
Sabres fan coming in to tell you about him:
Awesome big shot for the PP, Great at one timers. Looks to rush and is pretty fast. Lacks hockey IQ, lots of mistakes in skating and defensive zone. Played for Dineen in Portland. Willing to stick up for teammates. Always looking to shoot.
ugh. was hoping not to see tallon stocking the team with dineen's boys - still not buying dineen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Based on the scouting report given, I don't think he sounds like Garrison at all.

More like Ellerby with a shot. We traded Ellerby for Ellerby!
ellerby with a shot and no defense. i'll take ellerby. still sour.

zeroG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:05 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
So far that's what Buffalo fans have said, but then again look at the realistic side of it.

While not knowing how well defensively he plays, his offensive IQ seems to be a lot better than a lot of Buffalo fans call him out to have. He seems to score a lot of goals as a defenseman, he must have some IQ to score goals.
He has a 10% shooting percentage, which as a defenseman is not bad at all (pretty normal) 132 shots and 14 goals this season
6-1, 213 pounds, a reasonably sized D-man, a good comparison would probably be Weaver *size wise*
agree with everything except i think weaver is much smaller...

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:26 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post

Many have had decent to impressive AHL careers but were unable to make it at the national level.

He has been passed on the depth chart year after year in Buffalo.

I hope he shows something with a fresh start with you guys.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:46 AM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
For more Brennan blurbs and/or highlights, check: http://www.sabresprospects.com/search/label/brennan

This is his strength, his shot: http://youtu.be/kfvhwV3r0l8?t=1m40s

Here's what I had to say about him in mid-January based on regular viewings through AHL Live; little has changed:
Quote:
Brennan's problem for me is mainly his giveaways, but he creates enough chances at the other end to make up for it at [the AHL] level. He's not afraid to throw checks either, but I do feel his stick could be better at times and it wouldn't hurt if he keeps his feet moving more, as I often see him stretched with a weak poke-check attempt as an opponent goes either around or through him to make a play. He's also prone to some dumb and/or retaliatory penalties.

Last edited by Woodhouse: 03-16-2013 at 04:58 AM.
Woodhouse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:29 AM
LUUUUUIS
¿Qué bolá, Tallón?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
Based on the scouting report given, I don't think he sounds like Garrison at all.

More like Ellerby with a shot. We traded Ellerby for Ellerby!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperNintendoChalmrs View Post
Hasn't played enough in the NHL. See what he can do the rest of the season.
Ellerby had played 125 NHL games when we traded him. Brennan has played in 21 NHL games. Here's hoping Brennan actually makes some progress in his next 100 games.

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:56 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Brennan looked solid defensively to me in junior, although he wasn't a defense first guy. He's a very good skater, good with the puck. It's a late 5th round draft pick, it's worth the gamble. I like it. Buffalo has a ton of d-men, they needed to move somebody, and like someone else said it wasn't the best environment to bring a green rookie d-man into. Robak hasn't looked that great either here. I'm semi-excited to see what he can do here.

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:13 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Do you think he'll get some NHL time this year? Maybe even step right into it?

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:17 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Panther View Post
It would be foolish if that wasn't the case. This is the perfect opportunity to get a look at him while we have so many D injured and the tank is on. Besides, if he gets sent down he has to clear waivers and then we might have given up a draft pick for nothing.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:38 AM
billysbreakdown

vCash: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
It would be foolish if that wasn't the case. This is the perfect opportunity to get a look at him while we have so many D injured and the tank is on. Besides, if he gets sent down he has to clear waivers and then we might have given up a draft pick for nothing.
Oh I see, so he probably steps right in and Robak gets sent down. Works for me.

billysbreakdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:50 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Oh I see, so he probably steps right in and Robak gets sent down. Works for me.
I wouldn't have a problem with that, Robak is not waiver eligible yet. Yonkman could get sent down also.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:58 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Hope he doesn't wear number 3

03-16-2013, 08:18 AM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
Something for everyone to keep in mind, Garrison prior to last yr also had poor accuracy. He spent the previous summer working on that and lo & behold last season he was hitting the net with precision. If Brennan works at it this off season, he can easily improve his accuracy and then we have that PP threat like we did from last yr. This obviously is a deal for next season if Brennan looks halfway decent for the rest of this yr. I expect Dineen will bring the best out of him too.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:02 AM
RampageNate

Send a message via Yahoo to RampageNate
Yonkman sent down

RampageNate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:07 AM
Benched

vCash: 157
In the short term, gets Kuba off the PP and replaces him with a good shot (from what has been said). In the long term, gives us a guy who is willing to drop the gloves and stick up for teammates, something we've lacked for a while.

I'm guessing he's a bottom line defensive pairing guy next year. I don't mind this for a fifth.

Quote:
I think he steps right in. Gotta clear waivers if he's sent down. Plus, like I said, it gives us a quality shot on the PP. Gonna ask GR if he's here tonight.

Benched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:50 AM
PanthersAllDay1225
MORDE-KULI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
Brennan looked solid defensively to me in junior, although he wasn't a defense first guy. He's a very good skater, good with the puck. It's a late 5th round draft pick, it's worth the gamble. I like it. Buffalo has a ton of d-men, they needed to move somebody, and like someone else said it wasn't the best environment to bring a green rookie d-man into. Robak hasn't looked that great either here. I'm semi-excited to see what he can do here.
I disagree. The kid has joined the rush, looked good defensively, and brought some energy to the team as well as the PP. I think in his short time here he's contributed more than kuba has all season, not that that is saying much but none the less. What have you seen from him that you don't like?

PanthersAllDay1225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:12 AM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolburn View Post
Something for everyone to keep in mind, Garrison prior to last yr also had poor accuracy. He spent the previous summer working on that and lo & behold last season he was hitting the net with precision. If Brennan works at it this off season, he can easily improve his accuracy and then we have that PP threat like we did from last yr. This obviously is a deal for next season if Brennan looks halfway decent for the rest of this yr. I expect Dineen will bring the best out of him too.
And Garrison's shot wasn't even that great before last season. It wasn't special at all. Brennan has always had a very hard shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersAllDay1225 View Post
I disagree. The kid has joined the rush, looked good defensively, and brought some energy to the team as well as the PP. I think in his short time here he's contributed more than kuba has all season, not that that is saying much but none the less. What have you seen from him that you don't like?
I don't think he's been good defensively. He's made his share of defensive blunders, in only several games. He's also beyond charmin' soft, which led in one instance directly to a goal against because he wouldn't even play the body to a guy coming from all the way behind the net. I forget which team it was, but that player then came out in front and scored a wraparound against Markstrom. Robak just gave him a girly chop with his stick. He looks good offensively, but not defensively, yet.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
Tim Murray
HoF Turd Shiner

With time this guy might pan out to be a decent depth D that works the point on the PP.

The knock on him of course is his actual D. He hasn't progressed much in that aspect despite his success at the AHL level. He has worth of course, as the trade indicates. If Buffalo had waived him, he would have been nabbed.

He's still young so he has developing to do, but he hasn't progressed defensively, thus Buffalo moving him.

He's not a total liability like Gragnani was though, so slotting him in as a #6 guy and giving him PP time isn't going to hurt you.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you think Buffalo fans would exaggerate, but as a fan of both teams, I can tell you that his hockey IQ just isn't that high. He's got a monster shot. Line him up on the point and let it fly. That's how he scores. He's not going to wow anyone with his hockey IQ. There's a use for him....just don't expect him to be more than he is (right now).

Tim Murray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:43 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeroG View Post
ugh. was hoping not to see tallon stocking the team with dineen's boys - still not buying dineen.

ellerby with a shot and no defense. i'll take ellerby. still sour.
Lol and lol

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
With Campbell handling the rush and entry, then setting the table for him to unleash his shot, he seems like a solid pickup for the Florida PP. Yes, he's got warts, hopefully with time he can work through those and make something of his opportunities.

03-16-2013, 02:53 PM
Boothinator
@MrBoothinator

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post
He does

Boothinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:59 PM
PBPantherfan
Here we go again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laus723 View Post

Florida Panthers
@FlaPanthers
Newly acquired d-man TJ Brennan will wear #3 for the #FlaPanthers.
3:38pm - 16 Mar 13

You sir as a Florida Panthers fan should be used to things like this.

PBPantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boothinator View Post
He does
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBPantherfan View Post
Florida Panthers
@FlaPanthers
Newly acquired d-man TJ Brennan will wear #3 for the #FlaPanthers.
3:38pm - 16 Mar 13

You sir as a Florida Panthers fan should be used to things like this.
Booooo, hope he'll drop em

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:09 PM
Beezeral

It's always nice when the organization gives the few numbers with history to plugs like Yonkman and now Brennan. I can understand the argument about not retiring them, but at least make the guy earn the number.

Heck the marlins made Miguel Cabrera wear 20 for a few years because tony Perez works in the front office and the team thought he should earn the right to wear 24.

Beezeral is online now   Reply With Quote