HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Trade Rumour for Smith/Brewer

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 06:29 PM
Smaug

vCash:
Trade Rumour for Smith/Brewer

Has anyone heard something about the Oilers shoppping either Smith or Brewer?

A rumour is mentioned at Spectors

http://spectorshockey.tripod.com/spe...e_rumours.html

But there are no details.

Old
12-22-2003, 06:43 PM
metallicat
@metallicat51

vCash: 500
Spector, is that Spector as in Mark Spector formerly of the Edmonton Journal?

Old
12-22-2003, 07:16 PM
Fists of Fuhry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug

If anything, I do believe that it will be Smith and not Brewer. Smith's play has vastly improved this year (increasing his value), and well, of course there is the whole $$$ and UFA issue. Does anybody think that Smith could get us one of Huselius/Weiss from FLA? Cuz I would love that

Old
12-22-2003, 07:47 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicat
Spector, is that Spector as in Mark Spector formerly of the Edmonton Journal?
I'm 99% sure its not him. I dont want EDM to trade Smith but I think trade him for something cheap. Then save $$$$for hte summer and MAGICALLY sign Scott Niedermayer.

Last edited by punk_o_holic: 12-22-2003 at 07:51 PM.
Old
12-22-2003, 07:47 PM
GorillazXL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fists of Fuhry
If anything, I do believe that it will be Smith and not Brewer. Smith's play has vastly improved this year (increasing his value), and well, of course there is the whole $$$ and UFA issue. Does anybody think that Smith could get us one of Huselius/Weiss from FLA? Cuz I would love that
As much as I would hate to see a player like Smith leave our organization, if Florida were to agree to a trade for Smith something like Weiss + Novak/Krajiek for Smith + Chimera and 2nd Round that would work out nicely.

GXL

Old
12-22-2003, 08:59 PM
Behind Enemy Lines

Call me kooky but I think Smith will go this year. The reason for this is salary, age, and impending UFA. He has been a warrior this year and finally healthy. And therefore marketable. Ulanov signing in Toronto might provide a late season stop gap measure for Oilers.

Trading Partners? Here's where I get crazy.
1. Ottawa - this team is so close but still a bit doubtful imo on the character and toughness front. Playoff foes Flyers, Devils, and Leafs play tough, physical hockey.

How about... Smith and Laraque (possibly another throw-in) for say Chris Phillips and Todd White or Mike Fisher. Overpayment by Ottawa: likely but big, physical, character & leadership (Smith) and toughness added to win now.

2. Tampa Bay - skilled forward and a developing blueline. Need a veteran defenseman and likely more team toughness to compete against the big boys of the bruising beasts of the East.
Smith, Laraque, and Ferguson for Svitov and Mike Eagener or that possible elusive elite skill forward possibly an Alexander Polushin.

3. Florida - Smith for an emerging skill centreman. How about Stephen Weiss or Olli Jokinen? Panthers need veteran leadership on the blueline and stabilizing influence for its stable of offenseman.

Crazy ideas ... but who knows? Flame away...

Old
12-22-2003, 09:05 PM
punk_o_holic

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behind Enemy Lines
Call me kooky but I think Smith will go this year. The reason for this is salary, age, and impending UFA. He has been a warrior this year and finally healthy. And therefore marketable. Ulanov signing in Toronto might provide a late season stop gap measure for Oilers.

Trading Partners? Here's where I get crazy.
1. Ottawa - this team is so close but still a bit doubtful imo on the character and toughness front. Playoff foes Flyers, Devils, and Leafs play tough, physical hockey.

How about... Smith and Laraque (possibly another throw-in) for say Chris Phillips and Todd White or Mike Fisher. Overpayment by Ottawa: likely but big, physical, character & leadership (Smith) and toughness added to win now.

2. Tampa Bay - skilled forward and a developing blueline. Need a veteran defenseman and likely more team toughness to compete against the big boys of the bruising beasts of the East.
Smith, Laraque, and Ferguson for Svitov and Mike Eagener or that possible elusive elite skill forward possibly an Alexander Polushin.

3. Florida - Smith for an emerging skill centreman. How about Stephen Weiss or Olli Jokinen? Panthers need veteran leadership on the blueline and stabilizing influence for its stable of offenseman.

Crazy ideas ... but who knows? Flame away...
I dont mind the OTT proposal

Old
12-23-2003, 01:21 AM
Yanner39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug

I think Spector took this from the Ottawa Sun's Bruce Garrioch. I would not put alot of stock into it. I pulls these our of his ass each week with very little substance. Anyways, any hockey fan, especially oilers fans could have made up this rumor considering Brewer's play of late and Smith's contract and pending UFA staus.

Bou-Bou strikes again.

Closed Thread