HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Montreal and Pittsburgh: Why So Much Difficulty Against Them?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2013, 04:13 PM
  #1
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 350
Montreal and Pittsburgh: Why So Much Difficulty Against Them?

Montreal and Pittsburgh...

Two teams the Rangers never seem to beat. It's fairly easy to rationalize Pittsburgh. They only have two generational centers that routinely whoop our butts. But even so we should be better than we've been against Pittsburgh, especially in recent years since we've been adding talent.

Montreal is just as tough, if not even more difficult than Pittburgh for the Rangers. This is perplexing because the Habs have clearly been the inferior team to Pittsburgh over the years. Tomorrow marks the four year anniversary of the Rangers last win in Montreal... a shootout win nonetheless. Jeeze we we suck in the Bell center.

We can't just keep losing to these guys. The way things are going Pittburgh and Montreal are looking like they could even finish as the first and second seeds, while we're here scrambling for a playoff spot. We're on a collision course with a buzz saw if we don't start figuring these two teams out.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:16 PM
  #2
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Its pretty simple:

Both teams have a quick strike transition.

Both teams have scoring/playmaking from their points. So they can exploit the collapsing zone D.

The way you beat either of those teams:

You have to possess the puck. You can't let either team make plays...

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:19 PM
  #3
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its pretty simple:

Both teams have a quick strike transition.

Both teams have scoring/playmaking from their points. So they can exploit the collapsing zone D.
We also don't play chippy against them, and this team doesn't produce booming hits game in and game out.

Philly can mop the floor with them but we can't?!

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:26 PM
  #4
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImIdaho View Post
We also don't play chippy against them, and this team doesn't produce booming hits game in and game out.

Philly can mop the floor with them but we can't?!
Its nothing to do with not being physical enough with them. Philly possesses the puck. They can move the puck. They try not to give away the puck. That is why Philly can beat them..

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:30 PM
  #5
bouds
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 340
vCash: 500
Faster and can actually pass/move the puck.

bouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:33 PM
  #6
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its nothing to do with not being physical enough with them. Philly possesses the puck. They can move the puck. They try not to give away the puck. That is why Philly can beat them..
Then why can we routinely beat Philly in our sleep?

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:34 PM
  #7
ImIdaho
Choo-Choo-Choose me!
 
ImIdaho's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 4,151
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its nothing to do with not being physical enough with them. Philly possesses the puck. They can move the puck. They try not to give away the puck. That is why Philly can beat them..
That's also true but look what Philly does when Pittsburgh starts putting offensive pressure, when either Crosby or Malkin pull off their little ********. No one on Philly hesitates on smacking them upside the head.

Us? We do a frowny face and wonder why the refs didn't call a penalty. That high road ********* only bites us in the ass.

Even that one game against the Canadiens in Montreal, they dominated in almost every facet of the game, hitting included. Oompa-loompas outhit us. And that Pacioretty hit, what was our response? Or that ******** they pulled on Biron?

Smack 'em around and they're not carrying the puck or dictating the flow of the game.

ImIdaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
  #8
Blueshirt Believer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,565
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind Jam Grind View Post
Then why can we routinely beat Philly in our sleep?
Because their backend is deplorable...

Rangers can usually exploit them in the corners of the O zone..

Philly also isn't a very fast team. They are only a real danger when they are set up in the Ozone...

Blueshirt Believer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:36 PM
  #9
Rangers Fail
4 8 15 16 23 42
 
Rangers Fail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 18,242
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Because their backend is deplorable...

Rangers can usually exploit them in the corners of the O zone..

Philly also isn't a very fast team. They are only a real danger when they are set up in the Ozone...
True, Philly is very bad on the boards. I just find it funny how the Rangers can never exploit bad defense except if it's Tampa or Philly.

Rangers Fail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
  #10
Zamboner
Your move, creep.
 
Zamboner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,666
vCash: 500
Speed. Speed. Speed. It's why Ottawa gives us trouble too.

Zamboner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:00 PM
  #11
SingnBluesOnBroadway
Retired
 
SingnBluesOnBroadway's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 30,019
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingWantsCup View Post
Montreal and Pittsburgh...

Two teams the Rangers never seem to beat. It's fairly easy to rationalize Pittsburgh. They only have two generational centers that routinely whoop our butts. But even so we should be better than we've been against Pittsburgh, especially in recent years since we've been adding talent.

Montreal is just as tough, if not even more difficult than Pittburgh for the Rangers. This is perplexing because the Habs have clearly been the inferior team to Pittsburgh over the years. Tomorrow marks the four year anniversary of the Rangers last win in Montreal... a shootout win nonetheless. Jeeze we we suck in the Bell center.

We can't just keep losing to these guys. The way things are going Pittburgh and Montreal are looking like they could even finish as the first and second seeds, while we're here scrambling for a playoff spot. We're on a collision course with a buzz saw if we don't start figuring these two teams out.
Because the Pens are arguably the best team in the league that the Habs are playing way over their head.

__________________
SingnBluesOnBroadway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:22 PM
  #12
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshirt Believer View Post
Its pretty simple:

Both teams have a quick strike transition.

Both teams have scoring/playmaking from their points. So they can exploit the collapsing zone D.

The way you beat either of those teams:

You have to possess the puck. You can't let either team make plays...
That's not just the secret to beating these teams. It's the simple secret to beating pretty much all teams. Possess the puck, and pass it. Pass it creatively, deceptively, and efficiently. Those are three things the Rangers haven't done consistently in about 15-20 years.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:26 PM
  #13
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm
 
Clowes Line's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New Yawk
Country: United States
Posts: 12,544
vCash: 500
Because we suck.

Clowes Line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:10 PM
  #14
Drewbackatu*
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 3,048
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Callys Chicken Parm View Post
Because we suck.
And both Montreal and Pittsburgh are also better than us! Now that wasn't too hard a question to answer.

Drewbackatu* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:34 PM
  #15
Machinehead
Moderator
Hank, pls
 
Machinehead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York New York
Country: United States
Posts: 37,050
vCash: 500
They play puck possession hockey. So does Ottawa. You can't play full collapse against possession teams.

__________________
Machinehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:38 PM
  #16
CostaTheCrazyGreek
Registered User
 
CostaTheCrazyGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Selden, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
part of it is that Pittsburgh winning is "good for business"

CostaTheCrazyGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:46 PM
  #17
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul
 
NYR Sting's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,506
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaTheCrazyGreek View Post
part of it is that Pittsburgh winning is "good for business"
Nothing would be better for business than the Rangers winning, so I don't buy that.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:47 PM
  #18
Kershaw
 
Kershaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country:
Posts: 25,519
vCash: 500
Pretty simple. Puck possession hockey teams own us.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:28 PM
  #19
CostaTheCrazyGreek
Registered User
 
CostaTheCrazyGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Selden, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 81
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to CostaTheCrazyGreek Send a message via Yahoo to CostaTheCrazyGreek
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Nothing would be better for business than the Rangers winning, so I don't buy that.
Win, lose or draw, the Rangers still (paid) sell out MSG, Pens, not so much. Also you gotta sell all those Crosby & Malkin jerseys to the "casual fans".

CostaTheCrazyGreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:03 PM
  #20
KingWantsCup
Super Saiyan Hank
 
KingWantsCup's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 5,423
vCash: 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CostaTheCrazyGreek View Post
Win, lose or draw, the Rangers still (paid) sell out MSG, Pens, not so much. Also you gotta sell all those Crosby & Malkin jerseys to the "casual fans".
Think bigger than seats. Nothing would be more profitable and marketable for the NHL than a Rangers dynasty. Like that will ever happen though, but that's besides the point.

New York is a major slumbering market compared to what it's full potential could bring.

KingWantsCup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:09 AM
  #21
shinchanyo
Registered User
 
shinchanyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Here
Posts: 2,467
vCash: 500
because we dont have sean avery anymore

shinchanyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:13 AM
  #22
Panfork
Pacioretty Hater
 
Panfork's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 2,377
vCash: 500
Because they're good and we're not.

Panfork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:11 PM
  #23
MidnightRanger
Registered User
 
MidnightRanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: New York City
Country: United States
Posts: 1,540
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
We get penalized against Pitt no matter what. I don't understand why we don't smack them in the process. We have no trouble gooning it up against the Flyers or Islanders and hold our own against the big bad Bruins but when Pitt comes to town we get on all fours. Montreal is astounding though because that team is playing way over their heads.

MidnightRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:45 PM
  #24
Rscorpio
Epic Meal Time!
 
Rscorpio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Santiago, Chile
Country: Chile
Posts: 2,841
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
We get penalized against Pitt no matter what. I don't understand why we don't smack them in the process. We have no trouble gooning it up against the Flyers or Islanders and hold our own against the big bad Bruins but when Pitt comes to town we get on all fours. Montreal is astounding though because that team is playing way over their heads.

yeah right.... 4 years!!!!!

Rscorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:50 PM
  #25
LittleKev6D9
Unregistered User
 
LittleKev6D9's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Middletown
Country: United States
Posts: 1,075
vCash: 500
Montreal and Pittsburgh are good.

The Rangers are not.

I think that sums it up.

LittleKev6D9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:06 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.