HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Canucks Sign F Kellan Lain to an ELC

Old
03-16-2013, 03:44 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
his favorite player is Joe Thoroton just like Joseph Labate........guess because of the size element

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:52 PM
ZenMaster*

vCash: 500
Here's a bit of a scouting report on him when he attended Red Wings Camp:

Quote:
Kellan Lain #57*: Big. Fast. Defensively reliable. Very big. Very fast for his size. But more or less generic thus far, other than being able to keep up quite well.
http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tm...king_out_and_t

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:52 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
When you want to improve team size, you need multiple acquisitions to do it. The better ones rise to the top, while the majority fail to live up to their potential. So size becomes a directive. Every pick/acquisition mud reflect that directive. Until you get to the point where it's no longer a concern.

I like that DET and ANA were after this guy. I tells me what I need to know about his ability to play. Beyond that, I'm also glad the Canucks landed a player that many teams were after. Good signing.
Pretty much my feelings as well.

Mean and size. Something we lack.

arsmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:54 PM
luongo321

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Here's another one:

luongo321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:56 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Here's a bit of a scouting report on him when he attended Red Wings Camp:

http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tm...king_out_and_t
Fast. Able to keep up. Very nice.

Mean, size, defensively reliable, good on the draw... There's something here. Now to find out how capable a fighter he is...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
MikeK

vCash: 8000
I like it. Young kid with good size. Who cares if he turns out to be a farm player. He could also turn out to be a 3rd-4th liner. Did anyone expect Tanev to be so reliable? You can't win the player lotto unless you play which is why Vancouver wasn't the only team interested.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:59 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Another hulking young bruiser. Not overly excited, but it's definitely not bad news either.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:05 PM
Vajakki

Remember, this guy is -89. That's 2007 draft. Same as White and Ellington. Or Kane, Gagner, Eller, Pacioretty, Benn etc. Not exactly "young" anymore.

He doesn't have much time to separate himself from AHL and become an NHLer.

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:11 PM
canuck4life16

is he the biggest player we have signed ever? Hopefully he can become Paul Gaustad kind of player.....he has third line potential just need development

canuck4life16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:12 PM
Dado

vCash:
Yeah, another lottery ticket. No problem with doing that - it's cheap, and you never know. But at the end of the day, given his age, unlikely to play more than a handful of games at most with the big club.

But here's hoping!

Old
03-16-2013, 04:14 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vajakki View Post
Remember, this guy is -89. That's 2007 draft. Same as White and Ellington. Or Kane, Gagner, Eller, Pacioretty, Benn etc. Not exactly "young" anymore.

He doesn't have much time to separate himself from AHL and become an NHLer.
Not sure what your point is. Not all players establish themselves even at his age. And nobody is comparing him to those guys you mentioned. All of which were first rounders except for Benn.

I think most people are hoping this guy becomes a solid 4th line C and maybe a 3rd if he really excels.

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:27 PM
ZenMaster*

Here's an article on him and a quote from Gilman:

Quote:
The Canucks found a gem through U.S. college free agency in defenceman Chris Tanev and they hope they have found another in 6-6, 220-pound centre Kellan Lain after signing him Saturday to a one-year contract.

Lain, 23, is a native of Oakville, Ont., and has played the last three seasons with the Lake Superior State Lakers of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association. Lain had eight goals, eight assists and 111 penalty minutes during the 2012-13 campaign. The Canucks intend to assign him to the American League’s Chicago Wolves.

“He has a good blend of both speed and kill,” said Canuck assistant general manager Laurence Gilman. “We’re going to bring him to Vancouver, as we usually do, to get him acclimated to our organization and he will then join Chicago sometime in the mid-week.”

Lain received a $92,500 signing bonus on his one-year contract, which was the longest he could sign for based on his age. He will receive a $70,000 salary (pro-rated) in the American League and $832,500 (pro-rated) if he is called up to the Canucks.

According to Gilman, Lain has been heavily scouted by Canuck senior advisor Stan Smyl, whose duties include watching U.S. colleges. “He’s been on Stan’s radar for quite some time and we have followed him very, very closely,” Gilman said. “We were in competition for him with a number of other NHL teams.”

Lain shoots left and led the Lakers in faceoff wins with 313. The Canucks are in dire need of a left-handed centreman adept on the draw after shutting down Manny Malhotra (vision) earlier this year.
http://blogs.vancouversun.com/2013/0...college-ranks/

Looks like he is being groomed as Manny Malhotra's replacement.

ZenMaster* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:28 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. Not all players establish themselves even at his age.
The vast vast majority do.

Hopefully he's an exception...

Old
03-16-2013, 04:35 PM
monster_bertuzzi

23 is still young, especially for a 6'6'' guy he is probably just now filling out to his full grown size.

monster_bertuzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:41 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Interesting article. Wonder who Smyl's scouted/recommended in the past.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:43 PM
John Bender

I hope this is not Gillis answer to the current 3rd line centre issue. That would be very Nonis-esque.

(I am pretty sure it's not, just saying).

OT: remember when Fabian Brunnstrom was going to solve all the Canucks scoring woes?

John Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:44 PM
John Bender

Ugh, Stan Smyl recommends him?

John Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:46 PM
Royal Canuck
HF's Bounty Hunter

Interesting signing to say the least.

not much of a risk to sign him, could be a great reward if he turns out to be effective.

Twitter |HFBoards Contact | Blog
Xbox Live Gamertag: "CxC Canuck"
"You're never a loser until you quit trying. " - Mike Ditka
Royal Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:48 PM
Vajakki

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Not sure what your point is. Not all players establish themselves even at his age. And nobody is comparing him to those guys you mentioned. All of which were first rounders except for Benn.

I think most people are hoping this guy becomes a solid 4th line C and maybe a 3rd if he really excels.
I was only comparing the age. And the point is that almost every decent NHLer has established themselves 6 years after their draft year.

Also, one year deal? Does that mean he's UFA already this summer after he reports to Chicago next week?

Vajakki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeK View Post
I like it. Young kid with good size. Who cares if he turns out to be a farm player. He could also turn out to be a 3rd-4th liner. Did anyone expect Tanev to be so reliable? You can't win the player lotto unless you play which is why Vancouver wasn't the only team interested.
yeah, i think what tanev is, is what people expect from him eventually. maybe not quite at his age, a year down the line or whatever, but i don't know if anyone saw him as something different

Verviticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:03 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Interesting article. Wonder who Smyl's scouted/recommended in the past.
He couldn't be any worse than some other ex-Canuck non-European player on the scouting staff could he?

Barney Gumble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:05 PM
pitseleh

A more physical David Steckel is probably about as much as you could ask for from this. That's a useful player to have if Lain can reach that level.

pitseleh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Zarpan

Sounds like a pretty decent use of a contract to me. In terms of skill set, he sounds like Oreskovich with a mean/physical streak to me. Big, strong, apparently pretty fast, but lacking the offensive skills to put up any significant numbers at the NHL level. That he's a center with good faceoff skills is a bonus.

Came across these other reports too:

Kellan Lain #57: Lain’s a 23-year-old from Lake Superior State, and he looks like he’s 23. His skill level wasn’t off-the-charts amazing or anything like that, but he was very big at 6’6” and at least 210 pounds, he was very fast and he was very easily physical. He wasn’t intimidated by the skill drills at all and his fundamentals looked particularly good, but that’s just a first impression.

http://kuklaskorner.com/index.php/tm...bark_more_bite

But the star, for me, was Kellan Lain. He was picked up as a free agent out of Lake Superior State. He's listed as 6'6", 210 lbs, and he looks it. For a big guy, he really doesn't have trouble getting around. He's a good north-south skater, and he works well in traffic. He was setting up teammates and creating his own scoring chances. I saw him make great power moves to get to the front of the net. His shooting and passing skills are probably only average, but when you see him use all that size effecitvely, he looks like a slightly less talented Dustin Penner. When I was watching him, I thought he'd look great digging out pucks for the twins and carrying the puck to the net so Perry can put back some rebounds. Whenever I see young college kids show up out of seemingly nowhere, I instantly think that David McNab has found another great prospect for the Ducks. Lain was all over the ice today and the coaches running the scrimmage seemed to never take him off. The old saying is you can't teach size. Lain has plenty of it, and enough skill to be useful on an NHL line. I'm going to be keeping my eye on him for the rest of camp and hope for the best.

http://www.anaheimcalling.com/2011/6...mcnabbed-again

Zarpan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:08 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Canuck View Post
Sounds like a Brian Boyle type of player.
more like a Tom Seisto based on his numbers

jigsaw99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:11 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
He couldn't be any worse than some other ex-Canuck non-European player on the scouting staff could he?
I think if you had asked me this question 10 years ago, you might get more than one name that comes to mind.

vanuck is offline   Reply With Quote