HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
  #926
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
do anyone have an update on Joseph Labate he and the team is playing today, anyone keeping watch of score or anything about him?
His team won 3-1 but no points for LaBate. He was even on the night and had 3 shots.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
  #927
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
And this is where my point about unrealistic expectations comes in. Basically means nothing unless you thought he was supposed to be an offensive superstar when he was drafted.

Why did I say you were contradicting yourself? You're bringing up numbers and saying they're relevant for a conclusion that you haven't even made. You mentioned 'evidence'. What is this evidence being used for? Otherwise you're just going nowhere with your stats.

As in, what's your argument?
This has nothing to do with expectations. I never said he was a "bad" prospect or that he was a "bad" pick. I have already stated why I cited the statistics. They are clearly relevant in evaluating his offensive performance this year - at least from a statistical point of view. Like I said earlier (and I feel like a broken record), prior to the additions of Quine and Graovic, IIRC, Gaunce had actually slightly regressed in his offensive production compared to last year. This changed midway through the season and Gaunce started scoring at a much more impressive rate. I cited the statistics to help explain why there was a change in offensive output (the additions of Graovic and Quine). Of course this is likely not the only reason. One other reason would be the fact that Gaunce suffered a relatively serious injury at the beginning of the year.

I don't know what you expect with respect to me coming to a conclusion. I wouldn't attempt to conclude what Gaunce's offensive potential is based on the information we have here. It just wouldn't be fair. But surely the aforementioned fact isn't a reasonable reason not to post the statistics I did. As for the "what is the evidence used for?" I answered that question for the second time in the above paragraph.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 11:05 PM
  #928
timw33
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Victoria
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,800
vCash: 500
Kwings win in OT 3-2.

Grenier scored the game tying goal and then Mallet and Friesen assisted on the GWG in OT. Grenier 1st star.

timw33 is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
  #929
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
This has nothing to do with expectations. I never said he was a "bad" prospect or that he was a "bad" pick. I have already stated why I cited the statistics. They are clearly relevant in evaluating his offensive performance this year - at least from a statistical point of view. Like I said earlier (and I feel like a broken record), prior to the additions of Quine and Graovic, IIRC, Gaunce had actually slightly regressed in his offensive production compared to last year. This changed midway through the season and Gaunce started scoring at a much more impressive rate. I cited the statistics to help explain why there was a change in offensive output (the additions of Graovic and Quine). Of course this is likely not the only reason. One other reason would be the fact that Gaunce suffered a relatively serious injury at the beginning of the year.

I don't know what you expect with respect to me coming to a conclusion. I wouldn't attempt to conclude what Gaunce's offensive potential is based on the information we have here. It just wouldn't be fair. But surely the aforementioned fact isn't a reasonable reason not to post the statistics I did. As for the "what is the evidence used for?" I answered that question for the second time in the above paragraph.
But then you're just pointing out the obvious then, isn't it? Because if not then it's still nothing but stat-scouting. You've even said he was having a very offensively disappointing season...

Is it not unrealistic to expect him to produce at a better clip than those other two players?

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 12:16 AM
  #930
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Kwings win in OT 3-2.

Grenier scored the game tying goal and then Mallet and Friesen assisted on the GWG in OT. Grenier 1st star.
That's a record high of 7 guys in the E now, I believe. Good to see them at least getting development time down there.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 12:28 AM
  #931
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
But then you're just pointing out the obvious then, isn't it? Because if not then it's still nothing but stat-scouting. You've even said he was having a very offensively disappointing season...

Is it not unrealistic to expect him to produce at a better clip than those other two players?
I don't think it was obvious. I think when you refer to "stat scouting" you are referring to drawing conclusions based solely on statistics. But as I have maintained from the beginning, I was not attempting to draw conclusions solely based on these statistics. I was just submitting them for consideration.

As for whether it is unrealistic for him to outscore either of Quine or Graovic? I don't think so. It certainly isn't out of the question that an 18-19 year old drafted in the first round outscores a 19-20 year old drafted in the third round. However, as I stated already, I don't think it means he is a bad prospect or a bad pick.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 02:45 AM
  #932
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
I don't think it was obvious. I think when you refer to "stat scouting" you are referring to drawing conclusions based solely on statistics. But as I have maintained from the beginning, I was not attempting to draw conclusions solely based on these statistics. I was just submitting them for consideration.

As for whether it is unrealistic for him to outscore either of Quine or Graovic? I don't think so. It certainly isn't out of the question that an 18-19 year old drafted in the first round outscores a 19-20 year old drafted in the third round. However, as I stated already, I don't think it means he is a bad prospect or a bad pick.
Why wouldn't it be obvious? Everyone knew his numbers were down compared to last year. And yet you were willing make a judgement on his season thus far using those same numbers...

I would think the 1-year age difference is a factor - particularly when that 2011 3rd rounder is also an offensive forward playing the 1st line role.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 04:11 AM
  #933
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
On the college hockey front:

- Hutton's season is over, as Maine lost Game 2 (2-1 OT) and the series 2-0 to UMass-Lowell. He went pointless in the series.

- Labate had no points in a 3-1 win over Minnesota-Duluth. Wisconsin goes up 1-0 in the series. Game 2 is tomorrow.

- Beattie did not play in a 6-1 Yale victory over St. Lawrence. Game 2 also goes tomorrow. Last time he dressed was on Feb. 16th... a month ago. What gives?

- Harvard went 5-14-3 in the regular season and 6-16-3 overall after McNally was suspended from the team (4-3-0 before). They lost their first round series 2-1 to Dartmouth. Here's hoping for a better year for him and them next year.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
  #934
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
Why wouldn't it be obvious? Everyone knew his numbers were down compared to last year. And yet you were willing make a judgement on his season thus far using those same numbers...

I would think the 1-year age difference is a factor - particularly when that 2011 3rd rounder is also an offensive forward playing the 1st line role.
It wasn't obvious that he was the 3rd most productive player on his team since those two players were brought in.

The 1 year age difference and their respective roles are obviously factors, but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team. Again, just because he isn't, doesn't mean he is a bad prospect or was a bad pick.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
  #935
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team.
no, but its unreasonable if you don't have good justification for this expectation. "he's a first round pick" isn't enough

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
  #936
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 23,072
vCash: 500
If we're talking about useless stats, Gaunce has scored more goals than either Quine or Graovac since those trades occurred.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
  #937
Verviticus
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 10,823
vCash: 50
ive also got him at #1 in the Heart Quotient

Verviticus is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:35 PM
  #938
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If we're talking about useless stats, Gaunce has scored more goals than either Quine or Graovac since those trades occurred.
How many empty netters

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
  #939
PassLikeA10YrOldBoy
UsedCar Salesman/Spy
 
PassLikeA10YrOldBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Cruisin' with Harry
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,675
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
It wasn't obvious that he was the 3rd most productive player on his team since those two players were brought in.

The 1 year age difference and their respective roles are obviously factors, but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team. Again, just because he isn't, doesn't mean he is a bad prospect or was a bad pick.
It isn't unreasonable to think his offense takes a bit of a hit because he is busy playing elite-level defense.

PassLikeA10YrOldBoy is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
  #940
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If we're talking about useless stats, Gaunce has scored more goals than either Quine or Graovac since those trades occurred.
In what world is the amount of goals scored a useless stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
It isn't unreasonable to think his offense takes a bit of a hit because he is busy playing elite-level defense.
You are correct.

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 01:59 PM
  #941
Barney Gumble
Registered User
 
Barney Gumble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 22,711
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
In what world is the amount of goals scored a useless stat.
I think you missed the point of his post.

Barney Gumble is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
  #942
Hodgy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,700
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I think you missed the point of his post.
I figured it was probably sarcastic, but you never know, considering that Tiranis just recently implied that games played was not a relevant statistic when considering offensive production....

Hodgy is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
  #943
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM
 
vanuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 14,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
It wasn't obvious that he was the 3rd most productive player on his team since those two players were brought in.

The 1 year age difference and their respective roles are obviously factors, but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team. Again, just because he isn't, doesn't mean he is a bad prospect or was a bad pick.
It doesn't matter either way. But just because he's a 1st rounder doesn't mean one should just expect him to have the best production no matter what. He's playing 2nd line minutes, yet - like it was mentioned - he's still scored more goals than either of the two.

vanuck is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
  #944
Potatoe1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 764
vCash: 500
Nice to see Gaunce scoring some goals.

Since we are all stat scouting here, it does seem as though his numbers are fitting with his draft day reports.

Good north south player who is very good in his own zone and has a great shot.

I guess if he were up in the 1.25 to 1.75 ppg range that you typically see the really offensively gifted CHL players post, we might all be a bit more excited, but 32 goals in 59 games is really dam solid. Especially so when you consider what a poor start he had.

Potatoe1 is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:50 PM
  #945
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,380
vCash: 576
With Lain signed, our center depth get a lot better and hopefully we can sign Andrej Sustr and Antoine Laganiere who are both giants on the ice (as MG was scouting him in February)

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:54 PM
  #946
Bleach Clean
Moderator
 
Bleach Clean's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 18,910
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Nice to see Gaunce scoring some goals.

Since we are all stat scouting here, it does seem as though his numbers are fitting with his draft day reports.

Good north south player who is very good in his own zone and has a great shot.

I guess if he were up in the 1.25 to 1.75 ppg range that you typically see the really offensively gifted CHL players post, we might all be a bit more excited, but 32 goals in 59 games is really dam solid. Especially so when you consider what a poor start he had.
Considering everything else that Gaunce does, his goal production is encouraging. Liked the pick then. Still like it now.

As to Sauve and Sweatt, I expect one of them at least to be "Evan Oberg'd" at the deadline, becoming throw ins to a deal. There still may be a team out there that thinks they can get better utility out of them I hope.

Bleach Clean is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
  #947
arsmaster*
semantic romantic
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 25,746
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Considering everything else that Gaunce does, his goal production is encouraging. Liked the pick then. Still like it now.

As to Sauve and Sweatt, I expect one of them at least to be "Evan Oberg'd" at the deadline, becoming throw ins to a deal. There still may be a team out there that thinks they can get better utility out of them I hope.
Evan Oberg'd, Taylor Ellington'd....I hope we can also add Kellan Tochkin'd to the list as well.

arsmaster* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
  #948
ZenMaster*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
LaBate
Lain
Grenier
Kassian
Jensen
Gaunce

Do Canucks have the biggest pool of prospects?

ZenMaster* is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 04:22 PM
  #949
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING
 
Hansen 36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.
Country: Canada
Posts: 12,662
vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
LaBate
Lain
Grenier
Kassian
Jensen
Gaunce

Do Canucks have the biggest pool of prospects?
Sauve 6'3
Andersson 6'4
Beattie 6'3
Hutton 6'3

Hansen 36 is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 04:27 PM
  #950
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,380
vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Sauve 6'3
Andersson 6'4
Beattie 6'3
Hutton 6'3
Darren Archibald 6'3
Wes Myron 6'2
Alex Mallet 6'1

canuck4life16 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:49 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2016 All Rights Reserved.