HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XV

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 10:05 PM
Tiranis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck4life16 View Post
do anyone have an update on Joseph Labate he and the team is playing today, anyone keeping watch of score or anything about him?
His team won 3-1 but no points for LaBate. He was even on the night and had 3 shots.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:29 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
And this is where my point about unrealistic expectations comes in. Basically means nothing unless you thought he was supposed to be an offensive superstar when he was drafted.

Why did I say you were contradicting yourself? You're bringing up numbers and saying they're relevant for a conclusion that you haven't even made. You mentioned 'evidence'. What is this evidence being used for? Otherwise you're just going nowhere with your stats.

As in, what's your argument?
This has nothing to do with expectations. I never said he was a "bad" prospect or that he was a "bad" pick. I have already stated why I cited the statistics. They are clearly relevant in evaluating his offensive performance this year - at least from a statistical point of view. Like I said earlier (and I feel like a broken record), prior to the additions of Quine and Graovic, IIRC, Gaunce had actually slightly regressed in his offensive production compared to last year. This changed midway through the season and Gaunce started scoring at a much more impressive rate. I cited the statistics to help explain why there was a change in offensive output (the additions of Graovic and Quine). Of course this is likely not the only reason. One other reason would be the fact that Gaunce suffered a relatively serious injury at the beginning of the year.

I don't know what you expect with respect to me coming to a conclusion. I wouldn't attempt to conclude what Gaunce's offensive potential is based on the information we have here. It just wouldn't be fair. But surely the aforementioned fact isn't a reasonable reason not to post the statistics I did. As for the "what is the evidence used for?" I answered that question for the second time in the above paragraph.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:05 PM
timw33

Kwings win in OT 3-2.

Grenier scored the game tying goal and then Mallet and Friesen assisted on the GWG in OT. Grenier 1st star.

Old
03-15-2013, 11:43 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgy View Post
This has nothing to do with expectations. I never said he was a "bad" prospect or that he was a "bad" pick. I have already stated why I cited the statistics. They are clearly relevant in evaluating his offensive performance this year - at least from a statistical point of view. Like I said earlier (and I feel like a broken record), prior to the additions of Quine and Graovic, IIRC, Gaunce had actually slightly regressed in his offensive production compared to last year. This changed midway through the season and Gaunce started scoring at a much more impressive rate. I cited the statistics to help explain why there was a change in offensive output (the additions of Graovic and Quine). Of course this is likely not the only reason. One other reason would be the fact that Gaunce suffered a relatively serious injury at the beginning of the year.

I don't know what you expect with respect to me coming to a conclusion. I wouldn't attempt to conclude what Gaunce's offensive potential is based on the information we have here. It just wouldn't be fair. But surely the aforementioned fact isn't a reasonable reason not to post the statistics I did. As for the "what is the evidence used for?" I answered that question for the second time in the above paragraph.
But then you're just pointing out the obvious then, isn't it? Because if not then it's still nothing but stat-scouting. You've even said he was having a very offensively disappointing season...

Is it not unrealistic to expect him to produce at a better clip than those other two players?

Old
03-16-2013, 12:16 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Kwings win in OT 3-2.

Grenier scored the game tying goal and then Mallet and Friesen assisted on the GWG in OT. Grenier 1st star.
That's a record high of 7 guys in the E now, I believe. Good to see them at least getting development time down there.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:28 AM
Hodgy

Quote:
But then you're just pointing out the obvious then, isn't it? Because if not then it's still nothing but stat-scouting. You've even said he was having a very offensively disappointing season...

Is it not unrealistic to expect him to produce at a better clip than those other two players?
I don't think it was obvious. I think when you refer to "stat scouting" you are referring to drawing conclusions based solely on statistics. But as I have maintained from the beginning, I was not attempting to draw conclusions solely based on these statistics. I was just submitting them for consideration.

As for whether it is unrealistic for him to outscore either of Quine or Graovic? I don't think so. It certainly isn't out of the question that an 18-19 year old drafted in the first round outscores a 19-20 year old drafted in the third round. However, as I stated already, I don't think it means he is a bad prospect or a bad pick.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:45 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:
I don't think it was obvious. I think when you refer to "stat scouting" you are referring to drawing conclusions based solely on statistics. But as I have maintained from the beginning, I was not attempting to draw conclusions solely based on these statistics. I was just submitting them for consideration.

As for whether it is unrealistic for him to outscore either of Quine or Graovic? I don't think so. It certainly isn't out of the question that an 18-19 year old drafted in the first round outscores a 19-20 year old drafted in the third round. However, as I stated already, I don't think it means he is a bad prospect or a bad pick.
Why wouldn't it be obvious? Everyone knew his numbers were down compared to last year. And yet you were willing make a judgement on his season thus far using those same numbers...

I would think the 1-year age difference is a factor - particularly when that 2011 3rd rounder is also an offensive forward playing the 1st line role.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:11 AM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

On the college hockey front:

- Hutton's season is over, as Maine lost Game 2 (2-1 OT) and the series 2-0 to UMass-Lowell. He went pointless in the series.

- Labate had no points in a 3-1 win over Minnesota-Duluth. Wisconsin goes up 1-0 in the series. Game 2 is tomorrow.

- Beattie did not play in a 6-1 Yale victory over St. Lawrence. Game 2 also goes tomorrow. Last time he dressed was on Feb. 16th... a month ago. What gives?

- Harvard went 5-14-3 in the regular season and 6-16-3 overall after McNally was suspended from the team (4-3-0 before). They lost their first round series 2-1 to Dartmouth. Here's hoping for a better year for him and them next year.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:44 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Why wouldn't it be obvious? Everyone knew his numbers were down compared to last year. And yet you were willing make a judgement on his season thus far using those same numbers...

I would think the 1-year age difference is a factor - particularly when that 2011 3rd rounder is also an offensive forward playing the 1st line role.
It wasn't obvious that he was the 3rd most productive player on his team since those two players were brought in.

The 1 year age difference and their respective roles are obviously factors, but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team. Again, just because he isn't, doesn't mean he is a bad prospect or was a bad pick.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:52 PM
Verviticus

vCash: 50
Quote:
but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team.
no, but its unreasonable if you don't have good justification for this expectation. "he's a first round pick" isn't enough

Old
03-16-2013, 01:12 PM
Tiranis

If we're talking about useless stats, Gaunce has scored more goals than either Quine or Graovac since those trades occurred.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Verviticus

ive also got him at #1 in the Heart Quotient

Old
03-16-2013, 01:35 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
If we're talking about useless stats, Gaunce has scored more goals than either Quine or Graovac since those trades occurred.
How many empty netters

Old
03-16-2013, 01:43 PM
PassLikeA10YrOldBoy
UsedCar Salesman/Spy

Quote:
It wasn't obvious that he was the 3rd most productive player on his team since those two players were brought in.

The 1 year age difference and their respective roles are obviously factors, but they don't make it an unreasonable expectation for Gaunce to be the top producing forward on his team. Again, just because he isn't, doesn't mean he is a bad prospect or was a bad pick.
It isn't unreasonable to think his offense takes a bit of a hit because he is busy playing elite-level defense.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:54 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
In what world is the amount of goals scored a useless stat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
It isn't unreasonable to think his offense takes a bit of a hit because he is busy playing elite-level defense.
You are correct.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:59 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
In what world is the amount of goals scored a useless stat.
I think you missed the point of his post.

Old
03-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Hodgy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney Gumble View Post
I think you missed the point of his post.
I figured it was probably sarcastic, but you never know, considering that Tiranis just recently implied that games played was not a relevant statistic when considering offensive production....

Old
03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
vanuck
#Gaunce4GM

Quote:

It doesn't matter either way. But just because he's a 1st rounder doesn't mean one should just expect him to have the best production no matter what. He's playing 2nd line minutes, yet - like it was mentioned - he's still scored more goals than either of the two.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:46 PM
Potatoe1

Nice to see Gaunce scoring some goals.

Since we are all stat scouting here, it does seem as though his numbers are fitting with his draft day reports.

Good north south player who is very good in his own zone and has a great shot.

I guess if he were up in the 1.25 to 1.75 ppg range that you typically see the really offensively gifted CHL players post, we might all be a bit more excited, but 32 goals in 59 games is really dam solid. Especially so when you consider what a poor start he had.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:50 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
With Lain signed, our center depth get a lot better and hopefully we can sign Andrej Sustr and Antoine Laganiere who are both giants on the ice (as MG was scouting him in February)

Old
03-16-2013, 03:54 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potatoe1 View Post
Nice to see Gaunce scoring some goals.

Since we are all stat scouting here, it does seem as though his numbers are fitting with his draft day reports.

Good north south player who is very good in his own zone and has a great shot.

I guess if he were up in the 1.25 to 1.75 ppg range that you typically see the really offensively gifted CHL players post, we might all be a bit more excited, but 32 goals in 59 games is really dam solid. Especially so when you consider what a poor start he had.
Considering everything else that Gaunce does, his goal production is encouraging. Liked the pick then. Still like it now.

As to Sauve and Sweatt, I expect one of them at least to be "Evan Oberg'd" at the deadline, becoming throw ins to a deal. There still may be a team out there that thinks they can get better utility out of them I hope.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:58 PM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Considering everything else that Gaunce does, his goal production is encouraging. Liked the pick then. Still like it now.

As to Sauve and Sweatt, I expect one of them at least to be "Evan Oberg'd" at the deadline, becoming throw ins to a deal. There still may be a team out there that thinks they can get better utility out of them I hope.
Evan Oberg'd, Taylor Ellington'd....I hope we can also add Kellan Tochkin'd to the list as well.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:02 PM
ZenMaster*

LaBate
Lain
Grenier
Kassian
Jensen
Gaunce

Do Canucks have the biggest pool of prospects?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:22 PM
Hansen 36
BASED JIM BENNING

vCash: 420
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
LaBate
Lain
Grenier
Kassian
Jensen
Gaunce

Do Canucks have the biggest pool of prospects?
Sauve 6'3
Andersson 6'4
Beattie 6'3
Hutton 6'3

Old
03-16-2013, 04:27 PM
canuck4life16
It what it is-mccann

vCash: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansen 36 View Post
Sauve 6'3