HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ralph Krueger

Old
03-16-2013, 11:29 AM
freedomisamyth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret99zky View Post
Complete fail by Krueger in the 3rd period vs. Detroit.

He clearly was coaching not to lose.

He changed what was working during the first two periods in the hopes of protecting a lead by playing too defensively.

After the game he stated that was not the plan. Athough the evidence said otherwise.

I think Ralph is over his head coaching this team in this league.
So, you think Krueger was telling them to lose every battle in the third period to protect the lead? Some of you guys seem to have to always have someone to blame, so anything you can twist to blame someone, you do. All it looked like to me is the players gassed after just getting back from the longest road trip in their history. They stopped winning any battles or getting to the lose pucks. Then when they actually had the puck they started panicking with it because Detroit was all over them, rather than making plays.

I didn't see anything that suggested a change in coaching strategy, other than less playing time for a Harti and Yak, who have a history of game losing mess ups in the third period/overtime.

Every year this happens, no matter who the coach, and everyone always freaks out, "OH THE COACH IS TURTLING, WHAT AN IDIOT, THIS LOSS IS ALL HIS FAULT". Fact is, players always play more carefully when they have the lead in the third - as you should. Some players aren't very good at that and go too far and kill the offense too much (defensemen in particular tend to just panic and dump it out rather than trying to make a play, which is the main reason for the offense dying). It has very little to do with the coaching, and every coach in the league would get your wrath when it doesn't work out. And this is a young, mediocre team, so it's not going to work out A LOT. Have you guys not noticed the same thing happening throughout the oilers history, no matter the coach? It happens to all the other teams too, you just don't watch all their games so you don't notice. You don't always need a witch hunt and someone to point the finger at.

freedomisamyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by freedomisamyth View Post
So, you think Krueger was telling them to lose every battle in the third period to protect the lead? Some of you guys seem to have to always have someone to blame, so anything you can twist to blame someone, you do. All it looked like to me is the players gassed after just getting back from the longest road trip in their history. They stopped winning any battles or getting to the lose pucks. Then when they actually had the puck they started panicking with it because Detroit was all over them, rather than making plays.

I didn't see anything that suggested a change in coaching strategy, other than less playing time for a Harti and Yak, who have a history of game losing mess ups in the third period/overtime.

Every year this happens, no matter who the coach, and everyone always freaks out, "OH THE COACH IS TURTLING, WHAT AN IDIOT, THIS LOSS IS ALL HIS FAULT". Fact is, players always play more carefully when they have the lead in the third - as you should. Some players aren't very good at that and go too far and kill the offense too much (defensemen in particular tend to just panic and dump it out rather than trying to make a play, which is the main reason for the offense dying). It has very little to do with the coaching, and every coach in the league would get your wrath when it doesn't work out. And this is a young, mediocre team, so it's not going to work out A LOT. Have you guys not noticed the same thing happening throughout the oilers history, no matter the coach? It happens to all the other teams too, you just don't watch all their games so you don't notice. You don't always need a witch hunt and someone to point the finger at.
Name an example of either of these players' game losing mess ups in the third period/overtime. It should be easy for you given their "history."

It is very simple. The team that had Hartikainen and Yakupov in the line up dominated Detroit at both ends of the ice through 40 minutes. Despite that fact Krueger decided to ice a team that, inexplicably, replaced them with far worse hockey players in the third. That is why he fails.

Last edited by worraps: 03-16-2013 at 11:45 AM.
worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:59 AM
JMecc
#FireLowe

Quote:

No not telling them to lose battles, benching players and messing with the lines that brought success.

And about hating every coach, the oilers just promote the last assistant, keeping what didn't work alive. They do the same with management too, just bringing back past failures instead of trying something new.

JMecc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Gret99zky
Worst Thread Ever

vCash: 2738
Quote:

um, changing the lines and benching players is a coaching strategy last I checked.

Gret99zky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:14 PM
YAKUGOD
BELIEVE.

Looks like Coach K came through again you guys.

I'm getting sick of him.

YAKUGOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:06 PM
DousedInOil

I'm sure Krueger told Brown to get a phantom call to put his team down. He then told Petry to shoot the puck into his own net.

Kruger does a lot of things wrong but he can't win games with **** like that going on. Petry then goes on to get undressed by the other teams best player in overtime. We didn't lose last night because of coaching (although it didn't exactly help).

DousedInOil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:31 PM
dustrock
Too Legit To Quit

I think people are frustrated because we were specifically told we would be playing to win this year, which happened for the first 5 games and then stopped.

When you see Smyth in OT you just have to wonder

dustrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:41 PM
ExOilerFan

I would have put Yak and Hall together in OT. They would have given Detroit fits with their blazing speed. Instead Kreuger decides to go with Smyth who is one of the slowest players on our team and who provides nearly no offensive threat whatsoever. Makes sense...

ExOilerFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:55 PM
sid49
#FreeGaza

Will Krueger ever understand that our team does indeed have skill and his stupid ass is not coaching the Swiss team. Ryan Smyth is not more suitable to play in sudden death overtime then any player on the team. I just wish this team gave a **** about there fans and fire this moron. But hey this baboon might be the one to coach this team to its demise, and finally Tambo and Lowe and him can go run the Swiss national team together.

sid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:57 PM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:
Originally Posted by DousedInOil View Post
I'm sure Krueger told Brown to get a phantom call to put his team down. He then told Petry to shoot the puck into his own net.

Kruger does a lot of things wrong but he can't win games with **** like that going on. Petry then goes on to get undressed by the other teams best player in overtime. We didn't lose last night because of coaching (although it didn't exactly help).
Ultimately the players are responsible for the outcome of a game, the point is that Krueger is getting in their way by constantly tinkering with a winning line up when the team is playing with the lead.

I honestly think we'd have won last nights game if Krueger had stayed in the dressing room for the third period and told his assistants to roll the top 3 lines.

worraps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:48 PM
Delicious Pancakes

You can't help the reffing or an own goal but when you shorten the bench for defensive reasons it changes the players' mindsets. Now they're thinking defense first instead of playing assertively which is what was winning them the hockey game in the first place and makes things a lot more comfortable for the opposing team. It's like in football when a quarterback knows the other team isn't going to Blitz he can take his time in the pocket.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:29 PM
Delicious Pancakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nugie Boy View Post
I would have put Yak and Hall together in OT. They would have given Detroit fits with their blazing speed. Instead Kreuger decides to go with Smyth who is one of the slowest players on our team and who provides nearly no offensive threat whatsoever. Makes sense...
Amen. I thought the combos in overtime sucked. They really need to start trying Yakupov with the other kids, worked with Hall on the 2nd goal. I'd try this.

Hall-Yak
Gagner-Paajarvii
RNH-Hemsky
Horcoff-Eberle

Or switch Yak and Hemsky. I think Eberle and RNH need some time apart.

Delicious Pancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Soundwave

Quote:

Bad things tend to start happening when you're playing not to lose. Refs tend to favour the team that's on the offensive as well.

Soundwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:31 PM
TowMater14

@EdmontonOilers: #Oilers lines at practice: Smyth-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Horcoff-Jones, Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov, Brown-Belanger-Petrell (Hartikainen)

@EdmontonOilers: "What killed us yesterday was taking those three minor penalties in the 3rd period. We had the game in complete control." - Krueger

@dantencer: Krueger says reducing the bench doesn't change the principles of play. He will continue to reduce based on need to score or defend a lead.

Oh boy......

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:38 PM
Lewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TowMater14 View Post
@EdmontonOilers: #Oilers lines at practice: Smyth-RNH-Eberle, Hall-Horcoff-Jones, Paajarvi-Gagner-Yakupov, Brown-Belanger-Petrell (Hartikainen)

@EdmontonOilers: "What killed us yesterday was taking those three minor penalties in the 3rd period. We had the game in complete control." - Krueger

@dantencer: Krueger says reducing the bench doesn't change the principles of play. He will continue to reduce based on need to score or defend a lead.

Oh boy......
How many leads can you blow before you realize that this team is completely incapable of playing defensive shell hockey?

Lewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
To be fair, those are only practice lines. Belanger isn't playing tomorrow, but Hemsky is.

The starting lines from the last few games should remain the same.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

Oilers record when tied or winning after two periods of play.

MacTavish:
2007-2008: 40-10-4
2008-2009: 36-6-7

Quinn:
2009-2010: 23-13-5

Renney:
2010-2011: 21-5-6
2011:2012: 28-16-6

Krueger:
2013 (27 games): 6-6-4

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:12 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilerTyler View Post

MacTavish:

Quinn:

Renney:

Krueger:
Can you really compare a shortened season to a full season?

edit: I'm just saying half a shortened season is a small sample size.

Last edited by AlowlyOilersfan: 03-16-2013 at 06:18 PM.
AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
jadeddog

Quote:

Oh boy......
is hemsky injured?

edit: i see that somebody mentioned that these were just practice lines and that hemsky will be playing tomorrow

jadeddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:51 PM
ExOilerFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delicious Pancakes View Post
Amen. I thought the combos in overtime sucked. They really need to start trying Yakupov with the other kids, worked with Hall on the 2nd goal. I'd try this.

Hall-Yak
Gagner-Paajarvii
RNH-Hemsky
Horcoff-Eberle

Or switch Yak and Hemsky. I think Eberle and RNH need some time apart.
Those are the combos I would like Kreuger to try, but will probably never happen...

Old
03-16-2013, 06:53 PM
ExOilerFan

Quote:

MacTavish:

Quinn:

Renney:

Krueger:
Very impressed by MacT's record

Old
03-16-2013, 07:09 PM
syz
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Quote:

It isn't about "telling" anybody anything.

You don't have to tell the league leader in penalty minutes to go out and take a penalty for him to actually go out and manage to accomplish that.

Last night was the worst example of poor coaching this team has seen in 5 years of poor coaching. He didn't tell the team to play passive, but he scared the **** out of them when he messed with the lines. He made them feel like they had to be afraid of something.

syz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 01:50 AM
OilerTyler
Fire Lowe

It's amazing that this man still has a job.

It's been clear for 20 or so games now that he is holding the team back.

OilerTyler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 02:07 AM
Joey Moss

Quote:
It's amazing that this man still has a job.

It's been clear for 20 or so games now that he is holding the team back.
Agreed. Ten games we have lost when tied/leading after 2 periods.. this team could be safe in a playoff position right now. Probably even leading the division if it just knew how to play with a lead. Krueger is the man driving that ship by sending out defensive players when we have the lead and it's just not working. It hasn't worked all year. Figure it out, it shouldn't take a ****ing genius to understand that this team is much better suited to keep piling on goals instead of closing them out by sitting back. Like honestly, we lose more than we win when leading after two periods.. it's embarrassing. By now you'd think he'd get the memo.

**** this organization. Tambellini can't even find a coach that suits the team he's building for god sakes.

Joey Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 09:05 AM
oilphan

This guy is an abomination

oilphan is offline   Reply With Quote