HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#28 | New York Islanders vs. Florida Panthers | Mar 16 | 7:30 PM |

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-16-2013, 02:49 PM
  #26
13th Floor
Registered User
 
13th Floor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: United States
Posts: 3,702
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riseonfire View Post
I don't think that their forwards have any kind of identity. Just a bunch of guys they brought in to see what sticks.

Weiss and Versteeg are rumored to be on their way out anyway.

JOVO is old and doesn't bring what he used to.

Upshall is complimentary at best. Only Kulikov on that list will have any kind of impact for them moving forward.
Good points. Although, they DID finish with 94 points last year (15 points better than us), won their division, and then lost to the EC champions in game 7 of OT in the 1st round. With pretty much the same exact team as this year, before they all got injured. All while we played our way into the lottery for the 5th straight season.

All that said, your point was that it looks like this year we have made some progress, and we have -- so I agree with you. I was just claiming that if we were as hurt as Florida is, we would be awful too.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:49 PM
  #27
kasper11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: New York
Posts: 6,738
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Good points. Although, they DID finish with 94 points last year (15 points better than us), won their division, and then lost to the EC champions in game 7 of OT in the 1st round. With pretty much the same exact team as this year, before they all got injured. All while we played our way into the lottery for the 5th straight season.

All that said, your point was that it looks like this year we have made some progress, and we have -- so I agree with you. I was just claiming that if we were as hurt as Florida is, we would be awful too.
It's not the injuries...last year's team was lucky, the team finished with a -24 goal differential. The only other playoff team with a negative differential last year was Washington with -8. That and a number of players had career years.

Florida tried to buy a playoff team. It worked to an extent, but that isn't a recipe for long-term success.

kasper11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
  #28
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulinho View Post
Rangers lost, Ottawa losing, this could be a big day for the Islanders.
Ottawa is leading that game now. 3-2.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:55 PM
  #29
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 50
By the way, why do we care about teams infront of us are losing? That's something totally new for me. :p

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:00 PM
  #30
crashthenet
Registered User
 
crashthenet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Hockey Falls
Posts: 3,733
vCash: 500
Florida is listing, we'll see if this team can go for the throat here.

crashthenet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:02 PM
  #31
Chardo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,753
vCash: 500
Florida is last in the league in points, last in penalty kill, and last in goal differential by a whopping margin. They have allowed 38 more goals than they have scored. No other team is worse than -15. Anything less than a convincing win is unacceptable for the Isles.

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:19 PM
  #32
19NYSports91
Registered User
 
19NYSports91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 4,270
vCash: 500
Quote:
trumanperro is dtd with a lower body injury. He should be back by next game.
lmao

19NYSports91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:34 PM
  #33
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chardo View Post
Florida is last in the league in points, last in penalty kill, and last in goal differential by a whopping margin. They have allowed 38 more goals than they have scored. No other team is worse than -15. Anything less than a convincing win is unacceptable for the Isles.
I was pretty skeptical of the signings that Dale Tallon made when he first came to Florida. While they had a great season last year, they were a flawed team that played over their heads. I think they had a crazy amount of SO wins and the team stats didn't indicate playoff contender. They've come back down to Earth this year.

Agreed that a W is the only acceptable outcome for the Isles tonight.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:51 PM
  #34
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,373
vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I was pretty skeptical of the signings that Dale Tallon made when he first came to Florida. While they had a great season last year, they were a flawed team that played over their heads. I think they had a crazy amount of SO wins and the team stats didn't indicate playoff contender. They've come back down to Earth this year.

Agreed that a W is the only acceptable outcome for the Isles tonight.
Keep in mind they weren't a powerhouse offensive club to begin with, so having both Weiss and Versteeg injured for large parts of this season (and now both gone for the year) doesn't help an already low scoring team. They also lost Jason Garrison and his 16 goals from the point from last season.

Also, while he wasn't exactly in line for the Vezina, losing their #1 goalie Theodore just compounds their issues. They've gone 3-9-3 without him.

So while I agree their roster wasn't exactly ... dangerous ... last season, it was much better than the roster they have this year, both due to injuries and due to losses to free agency.

Their current roster does, however, suck badly.

Just don't take them lightly. My Pens put up arguably their worst performance of the season earlier this year in a loss to the Panthers.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:55 PM
  #35
BillD
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 7,136
vCash: 500
There would be no way to excuse or explain a loss to the Panthers tonight.
JT might have to put the team on his back if required, but we must win this game.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:05 PM
  #36
DeanCrandall
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 213
vCash: 500
You guys are scaring me, sounds like we are expected to win ?

I'm watching Brian Campbell with his -19 , Fleischmann -15 and Grudbranson -14
they are keeping AMac -13 and Hamonic -12 from all the finger pointing.

DeanCrandall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  #37
bigbren92
Registered User
 
bigbren92's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 137
vCash: 500
Ron Duguay: "I said it in week 2... They are going to make the playoffs."

I think hell is about to freeze over

bigbren92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:33 PM
  #38
Bunk Moreland
Moderator
 
Bunk Moreland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 13,002
vCash: 234
Here we go puck about to drop come out hittin

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:36 PM
  #39
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!
 
IceAce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 3,011
vCash: 300
No effing let down tonight!

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:38 PM
  #40
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,453
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Keep in mind they weren't a powerhouse offensive club to begin with, so having both Weiss and Versteeg injured for large parts of this season (and now both gone for the year) doesn't help an already low scoring team. They also lost Jason Garrison and his 16 goals from the point from last season.

Also, while he wasn't exactly in line for the Vezina, losing their #1 goalie Theodore just compounds their issues. They've gone 3-9-3 without him.

So while I agree their roster wasn't exactly ... dangerous ... last season, it was much better than the roster they have this year, both due to injuries and due to losses to free agency.

Their current roster does, however, suck badly.

Just don't take them lightly. My Pens put up arguably their worst performance of the season earlier this year in a loss to the Panthers.
I haven't been following them at all this season so I didn't realize how hard hit they have been by injuries. I still had doubts about this team if the injuries didn't happen.

I hope the boys don't take them lightly, but this is a must game and an expected win. It's not often we've been in this situation. With that said, we'll lose tonight.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:39 PM
  #41
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Holy Christ, the Tavares line started!

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:40 PM
  #42
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbren92 View Post
Ron Duguay: "I said it in week 2... They are going to make the playoffs."

I think hell is about to freeze over
Was he dressed like Elton John tonight?

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:41 PM
  #43
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!
 
PWJunior's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Watertown, MA
Country: United States
Posts: 13,453
vCash: 500
Reasoner to the box.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:41 PM
  #44
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Way to go Marty

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  #45
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 50
Reasoner you POS

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  #46
roper22
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 30
vCash: 500
Flukey call. The player was falling down before reasoner even touched him.

roper22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:42 PM
  #47
tag0519
Registered User
 
tag0519's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 451
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ MAC View Post
Was he dressed like Elton John tonight?
More like Clapton in his Cream days

tag0519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
  #48
steveat
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,809
vCash: 500
u r so awesome Reasoner

steveat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
  #49
Knish Of The Crease
Registered User
 
Knish Of The Crease's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Las Vegas
Country: United States
Posts: 2,563
vCash: 500
Hoooberdo. Say it Butch.

Knish Of The Crease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:47 PM
  #50
Wanderson
Registered User
 
Wanderson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Country: Sweden
Posts: 1,861
vCash: 50
Reasoner and Boulton on the same line. Brutal.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:04 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.