HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Movie You Watched and Rate It (Part XVI) ‎

Closed Thread

Old
03-09-2013, 03:39 AM
Everlasting

vCash: 807
Jay and silent bob strikes back (2001)

I loved it. Great movie with fantastic jokes. Laughed my ass of when they went to hollywood, "Applesauce *****" . And holy **** there were alot of actors i recognized in this movie, tons of famous actors.

9 / 10.

Matt Damon just kills it Love good will hunting

Old
03-09-2013, 04:49 AM
Shareefruck

vCash: 500
Silver Linings Playbook - 2/5

I was enjoying it early on when the dysfunctionality made for some strange offbeat humor-- when it got serious/dramatic, I got pretty sick of it and thought it felt silly.

Thought the performances were good, but from the reception, I thought they'd be better.

Old
03-09-2013, 06:09 PM
bigred50

Jiro Dreams of Sushi - 8.5/10

Loved this documentary about an 85 year old 3 Michelin-star sushi master.

Old
03-09-2013, 07:31 PM
kihei

vCash: 4632

Dead Man Down (2013), directed by Niels Arden Oplev: Two damaged individuals, who each seek revenge but from different people, form an uneasy alliance in this noir-ish suspense movie. Victor (Colin Farreel), a gang member in a tough crime syndicate, and Beatrice (Noomi Rapace), a potential love interest who maybe knows too much about Victor's secrets, are not a perfect match by any means, but as the film progresses each becomes increasingly indispensable to the other. After the rigors and high expectations that come with directing an international best seller such as The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Oplev shows more flair in this movie and does a decent job directing Dead Man Down's unconvincing script. Though he is stuck with one of those B-movie plots that seem too contrived to be believed and too cumbersome to be engaging, he creates a passably suspenseful film despite the shortcomings of the material. There are occasional hints here and there of the potential that the movie could have had, especially when it focuses on Victor and Beatrice's growing relationship. But then the plot goes bump at just the wrong times. Among the actors, Rapace fares well but Farrell has to rely on his eyes to communicate his feelings because the script doesn't provide him the necessary good dialog with which to create a character. A talented cast that includes Dominic Cooper, Terence Howard, Isabelle Huppert, Armand Assante, and F. Murray Abraham collectively give it a good college try, but most of them have little to do, as well. If this were a university essay, I'd probably give it a "D." It's not an absolute disaster thanks to Oplev's sporadically stylish direction, but it just isn't a very good movie.

The next day: I've already revised the above review once, and I'm not going to do it again. But it nags at me. The movie has a little something, which I wasn't able to express yesterday. There is indeed a substantial amount wrong with the movie, but it gets a lot of little things right. The relationship has a degree of poignancy that is unexpected, and every now and then there are glimmers of interesting ideas about the nature of revenge. Nothing to equal Park Chan-Wook's best work on vengeance, but interesting glimmers nonetheless. Usually when a movie gets most of the big things wrong, the little touches don't amount to much. I'm not absolutely sure, but this movie might be an exception to that general rule. Or maybe Rapace, Farrell, Cooper, et al, just managed with their skill as actors to create the illusion of more depth in their characters than the script deserved. Either way, it's a movie that I wish had gotten one more decent revision that played down conventional plot devices and played up character development and theme. Think I'll move that grade up to a "C."

Last edited by kihei: 03-11-2013 at 06:23 AM.
Old
03-09-2013, 08:39 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

American Psycho- 6.5/10.

Old
03-09-2013, 10:45 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

The Invisible.

Majority of people who watch this movie don't like it. Admittedly it's not the best thing in the world. But I enjoyed it. Intriguing, made me think.

7.75/10

Old
03-11-2013, 08:10 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn part 2 - 3/10. Now, I've watched all of these before and treated them as full-on unintentional comedies (because the first moment Pattinson walked on screen in the first one, I laughed out loud and long). The last one was the first one that just painful to watch because it wasn't funny-bad, just boring as hell and they watered down all the juicy ridiculous stuff I heard was in the book. This was slightly better. I laughed again upon seeing RPats, Bella going ******* on wolfboy over the pedophilic imprinting stuff and the fight scene at the end. So that's the 3 from the score. Crappy acting, weird story telling, the final fight not being real(though I expected that). The "witnesses" aka all those other vampires proved to far more interesting than all the main characters. Why the hell would you save a guy who can control elements, a shock lady and amazonian "illusionist" for the finale? Worst movie series ever. Some unintentionally funny stuff in some of them but I'm just glad it's finally over.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:54 PM
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion

Silver Linings Playbook

Lawrence was great. As was Cooper. Really good movie... 9/10.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:45 PM
kihei

Left Handed (2009), directed by Laurence Thrush: Hiroshi, a Japanese teenager, locks himself in his room and doesn't come out for 18 months. His mother can't penetrate his funk and she is eventually reduced to leaving trays of food in front of his door so he won't starve. She wants to get her son professional help but her husband is embarrassed by the situation and wonders what people will think. Eventually they separate and the mother finally finds a kindly professional to help her, one who specializes in children who have locked themselves in their rooms for months and years on end. I had never heard of this social problem before, and I doubt it exists anywhere, including Japan. Still the movie sells it premise well. But that's all it does. The film is shot in a hypermodern black and white style that frequently deliberately cuts off people's faces, and it employs unexpected camera angles, often low to the floor. It is a disciplined approach to movie making, but it also requires discipline to sit through the movie itself. We never find out much about Hiroshi and the other characters are kept at arm's length as well. In fact, there is very little narrative payoff of any kind. I admit Thrush has caught my attention, but he will have to deliver a more compelling film next time around to keep me interested.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 03-15-2013 at 05:07 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 12:08 AM
Kloparren
Hth

12 Angry Men, what an effin film. Unsatisfying ending slightly but really well made. Not over the top suspense, good dialogue, and really comfortable to watch. My favourite black & white movie so far.

Off to watch Taxi Driver.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:12 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Oz the Great and Powerful - 6.5/10

I love everything Michelle Williams, so I had to see this. It was pretty decent. The strength of the movie is without a doubt the visuals. There are some really nice scenes especially when he first arrives in the land of Oz. The dialogue was kind of poorly written though I thought and the movie failed to pack any sort of emotional punch for me. Franco does well with what he is given. Not my favorite actor in the world but he does have a lot of charisma. Williams kind of packed it in I thought and seemed quite bland. Still there was a warmth to her voice that suited the role well.

Adventureland
- 7/10

The film clearly has some kind of obsession with The Velvet Underground/Lou Reed which didn't bother me one bit. I thought it was pretty fun too. Some of the attempts at the more serious stuff didn't really resonate with me but oh well. I know a lot of people hate Kristen Stewart, but I thought this was a good role for her.

Last edited by Hemskyfanboy83: 03-13-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 11:45 PM
Epictetus
Global Moderator
Create yourself.

vCash: 4200
The Twilight Series, 6/10.

I thought it was a good satire on 'love', particularly towards the naive nature of teenagers when it comes to their relationships. Something like, "It's okay, daddy. I don't care that he dropped out of school, fathered a child from a previous 'girlfriend', does drugs, came out of prison, and has no family -- I will always love him!" Pretty much the same message from this film, except replaced with vampires, werewolves and a human-being stuck in the middle as the apparent obstacle.

It doesn't get full marks because it's clear that the film goes through an absurd amount of time repeating the same message, over and over. I don't know if this is purposely done to dumb it down for the masses, particularly teenagers, but I guess it worked -- look at how much it sold. For me, I got bored fast.

The funny part, and why the rating perhaps surprises you, is that people actually think this is real. It's one big joke. And no matter the proportion that the film goes to satirical levels on love, people still think it's real.

In reality, it's quite a shame, though. That is, this fantasy land of 'true love' and 'love having no obstacles' does not exist. The critical lens needed to see this seemed to have been lost somewhere, or maybe people just don't care.

Old
03-14-2013, 09:17 AM
yotesreign

Battleship - 6/10

Just saw it on cable this week. Only because I was expecting it to be a 0.9/10, and it was about six times better than I expected and I rounded up to nearest whole number. Still do not regret waiting for it to come on cable; as a 'tv movie' I give it a 6/10.

Although it is tempting to review the movie with one word: "Miss"...

Old
03-14-2013, 12:59 PM
GetThePuckOut

vCash: 1081
Seven Psychopaths- 8.5/10

I really loved this movie. Instant classic IMO. It had outta the park performances from Christopher Walken, Woody Harrelson, and Sam Rockwell. All 3 guys are terrific and completely hilarious. The movie itself is a very dark comedy, maybe a little too violent for some, but it also has a unique and intricate storyline, and great dialogue full of endless one liners.

So far this is my favorite movie of 2013, and I'd stack it up against any movie I saw in 2012 as well. That's how thoroughly I enjoyed this film.

Last edited by GetThePuckOut: 03-15-2013 at 06:18 PM.
Old
03-14-2013, 01:09 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

So I just watched Life of Pi again, this time in 2D and I liked it even better than the first time I saw it in 3D. I was completely blown away.

I think the first time I saw it, I was completely preoccupied by the beauty of it all and the stunning visuals. It was just as impressive from a technical standpoint this time around, but I found there to be a lot more depth in the storytelling despite the simplicity of the plot. The movie has a heart and it was really touching. I was also very impressed with Suraj Sharma. I certainly overlooked his performance the first time.

It has passed The Master and moved up to my favorite movie of 2012.

Old
03-15-2013, 03:24 PM
kihei

Ceasar Must Die (2013), directed by the Paolo and Vittorio Taviani : Now in their mid-80s, the Taviani brothers have been making good films since the '50s (Padre, Padrone; Night of the Shooting Stars). Caesar Must Die is a very loose adaptation of Shakespeare's Julius Caesar, with the twist here that the play is performed by inmates of an Italian maximum security prison. Briefly, at the beginning and end of the film, we see the prisoners perform in front of a live audience, while in between we watch the prisoners as they rehearse their roles. For the movie audience, this quite deliberately staged "reheasal" is the performance that we actually watch unfold. A play about power and vengeance, Julius Caesar could easily be set among contemporary Mafia families, so the fact that it is being staged in an Italian prison doesn't seem like much of a stretch at all; in fact, it seems like an inspired choice. The three principal leads are all very good, especially Salvatore Striano as Brutus. His performance is spontaneous, intense and nuanced (he eventually received a pardon and now is a working actor). As the Tavianis intrude no commentary on the proceedings whatsoever, the point of this exercise is not entirely clear. Shakespeare is relevant in diverse circumstances and situations? Even villains are capable of transcending their limitations? Art is inherently transformative? Well, maybe that last one comes with a bit of a twist: after his performance, one of the inmates concludes that only now that he has discovered art does his cell seem truly like a prison.

subtitles

Last edited by kihei: 03-15-2013 at 05:05 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 01:38 AM
Shareefruck

Speaking of Life of Pi, apparently Christopher Doyle completely trashed its Oscar win for cinematography

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2876063.html

Old
03-16-2013, 03:40 AM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Speaking of Life of Pi, apparently Christopher Doyle completely trashed its Oscar win for cinematography

Quote:
"No it's not a strange choice if you understand how ****ed up people are and how lost they are," he said about the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences and, it seems, human beings in general. "You bail out your bankers, support your rich people, you say Spielberg and Tarantino are the gods of cinema. Hey, good luck."
Sounds like a very, very, very angry man. Not just about Life of Pi.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:56 PM
Hemskyfanboy83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post

Trashed indeed.

I can't really comment either way since I am still not entirely sure what cinematography is to be honest. All I know is that the movie looked great.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Eisen

Looper 2/10
I have no idea why that movie got any positive review. Just bland boring and if I would have been in that movie, I would have put a bullet in the boy's head myself. Dear Lord, easily the worst movie I watched this year. And I watched Big **** Zombies.

Old
03-16-2013, 01:10 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
Sorry to hear about the breakup.

A great movie that became even greater after a breakup I had was Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I liked it before, but it really hit home after that instance.
For me it was "Lost in Translation", loved this movie.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:29 PM
kihei

Leviathan (2013), directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Verena Paravel: A wildly experimental documentary that vividly portrays a long night in the life of a fishing trawler off the coast of New Bedford, Massachusetts. There is no narrative and no narration, just a series of often violent, often abstract images that are shot with the aid of dozens of tiny cameras that can capture footage in places never deemed remotely accessible before. If a fish or shellfish could conjure a vision of hell to equal the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch, this documentary would be it. We do see some humans, though infrequently, plying their hard and dangerous trade, but they are always silent unless there is some necessary reason to speak. They are not the focal point of attention. Primarily the movie dwells upon the strangely surreal machinery of the trawler, its nets, winches and killing floor, and, most impressively, on the activity in the ocean itself before, during and after the catch arrives. The carnage and waste is abundant, but the true violence comes from the sea at night, from the forces of nature itself. The fact that these startlingly unconventional images are sometimes highly abstract does not in the least diminish their power. I was mesmerized from start to finish, no doubt in part because of the awesome sound editing that accompanied the visuals. However, if you have no or little taste for experimental film, this documentary is definitely not for you. About one fifth of the audience walked out during the screening.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:46 PM
PensFan68

Taken 2 5/10 Enough to keep my interest, but no where near as good as the first one.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Eisen

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post

Leviathan (2013), directed by Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Verena Paravel: A wildly experimental documentary that vividly portrays a long night in the life of a fishing trawler off the coast of New Bedford, Massachusetts. There is no narrative and no narration, just a series of often violent, often abstract images that are shot with the aid of dozens of tiny cameras that can capture footage in places never deemed remotely accessible before. If a fish or shellfish could conjure a vision of hell to equal the paintings of Hieronymus Bosch, this documentary would be it. We do see some humans, though infrequently, plying their hard and dangerous trade, but they are always silent unless there is some necessary reason to speak. They are not the focal point of attention. Primarily the movie dwells upon the strangely surreal machinery of the trawler, its nets, winches and killing floor, and, most impressively, on the activity in the ocean itself before, during and after the catch arrives. The carnage and waste is abundant, but the true violence comes from the sea at night, from the forces of nature itself. The fact that these startlingly unconventional images are sometimes highly abstract does not in the least diminish their power. I was mesmerized from start to finish, no doubt in part because of the awesome sound editing that accompanied the visuals. However, if you have no or little taste for experimental film, this documentary is definitely not for you. About one fifth of the audience walked out during the screening.
That sounds awesome. Got to watch that.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Took the family to see Oz the Great and Powerful today. Tough to make up my mind on this one. I liked it......but didn't love it and probably won't be too memorable. A lot of scenery chewing-but that's not surprising given the cast. I think the biggest problem is the cast lacked depth. Kunis in particular was a bit out of her element. I will say that a film like this makes you appreciate the original Wizard of Oz. What an achievement that was for it's time.

Closed Thread