HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No love for Brodin in the Calder discussion?

Old
03-16-2013, 04:54 AM
gretskidoo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFunnyWobbl View Post
That seems mind blowing a plus 36 defenseman losing to a forward with the same number of points in 15 more games.
Lidstrom did not really get any recognition at all for the first few years.

gretskidoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 07:38 AM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faidh ar Rud Eigin View Post
Brodin is a great player and doing things most don't at his age but he's not even close to as good as Wild fans say he is. He's not a top 2 defensemen yet and he never will be Lidstrom. This is hype unbecoming of a team with such few fans on these boards.
You’ll see in a couple years. You’ll be talking about Brodin (and OEL) among the top half-dozen defensemen in the league. That’s how good they are.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
You've obviously never seen him play, outside of a clip or two. Your post only proves this.

If Schultz is worthy of being considered, so is Brodin. He's not going to get it because the Calder is all about points, but if you rate Schultz that high, a reasonable person would rate Brodin that high as well. They both have the same amount of even strength points btw. Brodin doesn't really get pp time either.
This argument is awful. You don't agree with me so you start whining saying I've never seen him.

I have seen him. You make the assumption that if Brodin got more power play time he would have the same amount of points as Schultz which is laughable. You can't prove that, and the evidence suggests otherwise. Suter plays comparable PP minutes to Schultz and only has 8 power play points (In comparison to Schultz). I don't think any reasonable person would suggest Brodin is as good offensively as Suter.

You're argument is predicated on the grossly false assumption that I'm lying. Why would I lie? In today's NHL every game is easily accessible, I've seen enough Brodin to know that this hype is way out of place.

Go on the prospects board and look up the Brodin hype there. Several Lidstrom comparisons to his upside.

Brodin has never showed offensive production anywhere he's played. If he's such a good offensive defensemen in addition to his what it seems like "perfect" defense, why hasn't he done this? Don't give some garbage that he's not getting minutes either, because he was and is.

Brodin is a great player but he's certainly no Calder contender, and he's not the player Wild fans tell everyone he is. The hypes going to come crashing down on him eventually, when more people stop believing it and start watching him themselves.

Faidh ar Rud Eigin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:00 AM
DeuceMN
Really?

vCash: 50
Quote:
This argument is awful. You don't agree with me so you start whining saying I've never seen him.

I have seen him. You make the assumption that if Brodin got more power play time he would have the same amount of points as Schultz which is laughable. You can't prove that, and the evidence suggests otherwise. Suter plays comparable PP minutes to Schultz and only has 8 power play points (In comparison to Schultz). I don't think any reasonable person would suggest Brodin is as good offensively as Suter.

You're argument is predicated on the grossly false assumption that I'm lying. Why would I lie? In today's NHL every game is easily accessible, I've seen enough Brodin to know that this hype is way out of place.

Go on the prospects board and look up the Brodin hype there. Several Lidstrom comparisons to his upside.

Brodin has never showed offensive production anywhere he's played. If he's such a good offensive defensemen in addition to his what it seems like "perfect" defense, why hasn't he done this? Don't give some garbage that he's not getting minutes either, because he was and is.

Brodin is a great player but he's certainly no Calder contender, and he's not the player Wild fans tell everyone he is. The hypes going to come crashing down on him eventually, when more people stop believing it and start watching him themselves.
Your hate on this kid is really funny

What did he do to you to make you so angry at him?

He gets Lidstrom comparisons due to the way he plays, not because people think he will be Lidstrom.

Are you saying Schultz is as good as Suter? Interesting... I guess they do have similar point totals on the pp, well, you must be right in that assertion then. Schultz truly is amazing then. The pp points say it all.

It's good the Oil have had a pretty good pp, and the Wild's has been so bad, otherwise I would think the numbers might not tell the whole story.

You're right too, about Brodin; he will never develop his scoring upside. At 19, a kid with his skills, it's all written in stone already. Wild (and many professional analysts)fans are stupid with their unreasonable hope. Are you a scout? you should be. Professional analysts don't seem to have the forsight that you do.

DeuceMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:27 AM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:

"Everywhere he's played". Well, he's played as an under-ager in the SEL, a place where young, promising defenseman rarely put up points. He's played 5 AHL games and 23 NHL games. Not the greatest sample size to be picking from.

Anyways, Scottie Bowman thinks he's going to be a top 5 defenseman in the league, so I guess that'll have to be good enough for now.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:38 AM
KA BLAMO

I can't imagine him being nominated. Don't get me wrong, the kid is a hell of a talent and he will be a top defenseman in this league for a very long time, but Calder nominations tend to focus almost solely on stats.

KA BLAMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceMN View Post
Your hate on this kid is really funny

What did he do to you to make you so angry at him?

He gets Lidstrom comparisons due to the way he plays, not because people think he will be Lidstrom.

Are you saying Schultz is as good as Suter? Interesting... I guess they do have similar point totals on the pp, well, you must be right in that assertion then. Schultz truly is amazing then. The pp points say it all.

It's good the Oil have had a pretty good pp, and the Wild's has been so bad, otherwise I would think the numbers might not tell the whole story.

You're right too, about Brodin; he will never develop his scoring upside. At 19, a kid with his skills, it's all written in stone already. Wild (and many professional analysts)fans are stupid with their unreasonable hope. Are you a scout? you should be. Professional analysts don't seem to have the forsight that you do.
My my, yet more garbage arguments. I hate him because I think he's over hyped. Do you know what hate means? Apparently not.

No, he's gotten Lidstrom comparisons for his upside. This isn't the only thread where people have talked about Brodin. And no I didn't say Schultz is as good as Suter, but you said of Brodin got power play time it would be similar. Which is of course not true because Suter doesn't even has as close to as many power play points as Schultz on the PP.

Where did I say he wouldn't develop? I said he's never shown offensive production, which he hasn't.

You're basically making a lot of assumptions about what I think, and telling me I haven't seen him.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:42 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
Quote:
My my, yet more garbage arguments. I hate him because I think he's over hyped. Do you know what hate means? Apparently not.

No, he's gotten Lidstrom comparisons for his upside. This isn't the only thread where people have talked about Brodin. And no I didn't say Schultz is as good as Suter, but you said of Brodin got power play time it would be similar. Which is of course not true because Suter doesn't even has as close to as many power play points as Schultz on the PP.

Where did I say he wouldn't develop? I said he's never shown offensive production, which he hasn't.

You're basically making a lot of assumptions about what I think, and telling me I haven't seen him.
To be fair, I have rarely seen anybody outside of overzealous Swedes say Brodin will be as good as Lidstrom. Aside from them, you are the only person who I have ever seen use Brodin and Lidstrom in the same sentence more than a handful of times.

When talking about Brodin, Lidstrom has been brought up only to use as a comparable playing style. Much how Iginla has been used a bunch when trying to find a comparable to Chris Stewart. Or Hamilton to Chara. Are these correct comparisons? Possibly. It could go either way.

I don't understand why you are so hung up on that comparison. The first person who mentioned Lidstrom before you was a guy saying that even he didn't win the Calder his first year. Barely any defenders do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silkyjohnson50 View Post
Lidstrom had 60 pts and was a +36 in 80 games as a rookie, but lost to Bure who had 60 pts in 65 games.

Jackman beat Zetterberg as a defensive defenceman. He had a great rookie season, but I think the young, hard nosed Canadian had a little bit of bias on his side.
The second said "Lidstrom-Lite". As in, I don't know, a guy who looks like he plays like Lidstrom?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
And in Färjestad and WJC.

I thought he would be ready this year but had no idea he would solid in top pairing.. The games I've seen him play, he really looks Lidström-lite out there.
Then you come in here bashing him. What's your problem, guy?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:50 PM
Faidh ar Rud Eigin
Modhnóirí Claonta

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyratoku View Post
To be fair, I have rarely seen anybody outside of overzealous Swedes say Brodin will be as good as Lidstrom. Aside from them, you are the only person who I have ever seen use Brodin and Lidstrom in the same sentence more than a handful of times.

When talking about Brodin, Lidstrom has been brought up only to use as a comparable playing style. Much how Iginla has been used a bunch when trying to find a comparable to Chris Stewart. Or Hamilton to Chara. Are these correct comparisons? Possibly. It could go either way.

I don't understand why you are so hung up on that comparison. The first person who mentioned Lidstrom before you was a guy saying that even he didn't win the Calder his first year. Barely any defenders do.

The second said "Lidstrom-Lite". As in, I don't know, a guy who looks like he plays like Lidstrom?

Then you come in here bashing him. What's your problem, guy?
Again, since when is this thread the first time Brodin has come up? Look in other threads, specifically one on the prospects board. He gets an upside comparison to Lidstrom several times.

I'm not bashing him. I said he's over hyped and gave the areas in which I think he's over hyped.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
"Everywhere he's played". Well, he's played as an under-ager in the SEL, a place where young, promising defenseman rarely put up points. He's played 5 AHL games and 23 NHL games. Not the greatest sample size to be picking from.

Anyways, Scottie Bowman thinks he's going to be a top 5 defenseman in the league, so I guess that'll have to be good enough for now.
Wow, that's a high praise. May I see the direct quote, please?

When one looks this good at 19 he certainly has a pretty good chance.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:01 PM
Teppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemisti View Post
Wow, that's a high praise. May I see the direct quote, please?

When one looks this good at 19 he certainly has a pretty good chance.
"– Bowman has been impressed with two young defensemen: the Phoenix Coyotes’ Oliver Ekman-Larsson and the Minnesota Wild’s Jonas Brodin. Mark these words: “You’ll see in a couple years. You’ll be talking about these guys among the top half-dozen defensemen in the league. That’s how good they are.” He loves their skating, skill and hockey sense – how passes are always tape-to-tape."

P.S. But that is only Scottie Bowman - what does he know.

Teppo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:22 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
I think the fact that Bob McKenzie talked about him during an intermission 3 days ago is why he's getting more hype than before.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Dampland
YEO must GO

I love what Brodin has been doing, and am excited to have him for years to come on the Wild.

But no way he will get the CALDER love, as it is all about stats.

That being said, If I could have 3 Brodins, and a couple Schultz's on my team I would be happy!

Dampland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Yosemite Sam

vCash: 1050
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
You’ll see in a couple years. You’ll be talking about Brodin (and OEL) among the top half-dozen defensemen in the league. That’s how good they are.
Well, since nobody bit on this comment, I must confess it is not my own but rather a direct quote from some guy named Scotty Bowman. Not sure who this Scotty guy is, but I'm told he might know a thing or two about hockey players.

Yosemite Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:10 PM
InjuredChoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yosemite Sam View Post
Well, since nobody bit on this comment, I must confess it is not my own but rather a direct quote from some guy named Scotty Bowman. Not sure who this Scotty guy is, but I'm told he might know a thing or two about hockey players.
BS. He was terrible when he was GM in Buffalo.

You think I'm serious?

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:23 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

would never expect the Calder for Brodin no matter how good he has been for the Wild. It is a points-based award or effectively has been for the last little while...the fact that he's been mentioned in discussion on the NHL network and TSN is rather gratifying even if it is in a "i know he won't win, but this kid is truly phenomenal" offhand manner.

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:39 PM
zetterberg40

Send a message via AIM to zetterberg40
Brodin is legit. If he had ten more points, half of these downers would say otherwise. If you don't think the kid is legit then sorry to say you're not a very good judge of talent.

zetterberg40 is offline   Reply With Quote