Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lucic and Horton

Old
03-16-2013, 09:44 AM
rainone99

vCash: 500
Lucic and Horton

Is it time for this team to get a new identity for that 1st line..

I don't expect Horton back next year, the salary cap just won't allow it, and he is not worth 4 Million or more at this point in his career for the Bruins, especially with the contracts already given out to the 7 top forwards and still needing to sign both our goalies. So do we trade him now and get something back in return?

With Lucic's play and previous disappointing playoff years is it time to trade this guy before his value does down? I think asking for a Bobby Ryan in return is still a make-able trade rather than maybe in a year from now where he his value goes down even more.

Not trying to disrupt the team, just an honest assessment of how they have been playing this year and going back to last year as well. I understand the issue at hand, short season, don't mess with the chemistry, losing a power forward and going away from our system of play, but 6 Million for what he is giving the team, really?? At some point these decisions have to be looked at more seriously. He doesn't show up every game, He doesn't play that power forward position they way he used to. His being out of shape from the beginning of the season seems to be catching up to him right now and someone being paid that much to perform as he has is just not acceptable for a team hoping to making another run at the cup.

We point the finger at the 3rd line, but they are just that the 3rd line, we need to fix the 1st before we even think about the 3rd line. And please don't respond Bergy's line is the 1st line, we all know who gets on the power play as soon as the Bruin's get one. They are still considered the 1st line in this organization no matter what the message is to the media and fans.

Not trying to run anyone out of town, just looking for an honest discussion on whether trading these 2 guys is best for the team, maybe not so much in the short term but rather looking at it in the long term.

rainone99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Shoebottom
Bruin exiting lair

Lucic & Chara are the face of this team. Big, physical and tough. They have had and still have success with this image. Why would you want to mess with something that is successful? Shortened season with no training camp and Horton still recovering from his concussions have affected this line's effectiveness. Give it some time before you make drastic moves like that.

Shoebottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
maclgallant

lucic seems out of shape, ( which he could fix, maybe too late this season) he seems to be crawling to the bench after each shift, and just doesn't have any jump

Horton still seems to be afraid to lay the body and fight in the corners ( this concerns me, as this is a mental block)

hard to make a decision imo (think of bergy's first year back after his last major concussion)

maclgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:14 AM
Bone for your jar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainone99 View Post
I don't expect Horton back next year, the salary cap just won't allow it, and he is not worth 4 Million or more at this point in his career for the Bruins, especially with the contracts already given out to the 7 top forwards and still needing to sign both our goalies. So do we trade him now and get something back in return?

With Lucic's play and previous disappointing playoff years is it time to trade this guy before his value does down? I think asking for a Bobby Ryan in return is still a make-able trade rather than maybe in a year from now where he his value goes down even more.

Not trying to disrupt the team, just an honest assessment of how they have been playing this year and going back to last year as well. I understand the issue at hand, short season, don't mess with the chemistry, losing a power forward and going away from our system of play, but 6 Million for what he is giving the team, really?? At some point these decisions have to be looked at more seriously. He doesn't show up every game, He doesn't play that power forward position they way he used to. His being out of shape from the beginning of the season seems to be catching up to him right now and someone being paid that much to perform as he has is just not acceptable for a team hoping to making another run at the cup.

We point the finger at the 3rd line, but they are just that the 3rd line, we need to fix the 1st before we even think about the 3rd line. And please don't respond Bergy's line is the 1st line, we all know who gets on the power play as soon as the Bruin's get one. They are still considered the 1st line in this organization no matter what the message is to the media and fans.

Not trying to run anyone out of town, just looking for an honest discussion on whether trading these 2 guys is best for the team, maybe not so much in the short term but rather looking at it in the long term.
I think it's a fair question and there should be no sacred cows, but let me just put this out there for now (and this goes to the assertion I bolded above): Lucic is 12th in the league for hits, with 88. Horton is 374th, with 19.

Trade one of these players away and you're trading away not just the first line's identity, but the team's. I don't think there's any question as to which of these wingers I mean.

Bone for your jar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:24 AM
maclgallant

i'm sure lucic will be in shape by the end of this month,
maybe it would be a good idea to give him a few days off (maintenance) so he can recover and be ready comes playoff time

i'm sure his newborn had a lot to do with his lack of training, can't really blame him

maclgallant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:28 AM
BigBear83

if horton was able to finish on any of his hundreds of chances lately, then we wouldnt even be talking about lucic becuase his assists would make up for his lack of goals.. but as it is.. horton has been awful, fumbling pucks, missing nets or missing pucks completely.. i was a big horton believer when he came here but each game ive watched has made me less of one . i fear hes turning into only goal scorer when given a looong time to assemble the correct lane and shooting position . i wish he didnt have a NMC

BigBear83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:05 AM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

I don't think Lucic has looked that bad at all, some very nice feeds and pretty physical. I think the perception exists that he's stinking out the joint because that line isn't clicking... but there are three people on that line, not just him.

Horton hasn't impressed, but why would you expect someone who is recovering from 2 concussions and who just missed half a season and playoffs to impress? By the playoffs he'll be back to his old self, and when that happens he'll again be one of the top point producers on the team.

We get rid of Horton next year and Boston has the smallest forward group in the league. Not a healthy proposition when you're living up to the big and bad stigma. You simply can't get a player of his caliber any cheaper then 4.5 mill per anymore, especially on the open market.

And there is no one in the system that even comes close to filling those shoes.

Kaoz* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:13 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

I don't think it makes sense to trade either guy.

I don't think trading Horton would bring back anyone of great value; IMHO, it's more likely that he'll bounce back by the playoffs and produce than the new guy would be. Another team's not trading a valuable guy for a FA-to-be. I'd rather Chiarelli worry about next year/the future in the off-season than trade Horton now and definitively make up his mind on whether he's coming back or not.

And while I'm already dreading Lucic becoming a $6m man in the near future, I again don't think the guy that he's acquired for would be able to fill his role.

More than anything, I want the team to do what so many people have said over & over again: trade for a winger that can slot into the 3rd line and/or the Krejci line with Horton dropping to the 3rd. Doesn't have to be a monster deal for a top line guy, just someone that can flesh out the top 9.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
Oates2Neely

Kelly and Peverley are paid handsomely for 3rd line guys.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:31 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

We didnt want to pay Ryder 4 mill, understandable at the least. Now we wish he was back

You don't want to give Horton at least 4 and you will regret it

KnightofBoston is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:54 AM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:

How many Bobby Ryan's are there?

I have a feeling Horton is gone after this year.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 12:28 PM
yohan1212

Quote:

Trade lucic? Shake head and stopped reading.

yohan1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:27 PM
Cory Trevor
Smokes, Let's go

Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
How many Bobby Ryan's are there?

I have a feeling Horton is gone after this year.
Bobby Ryan's not going anywhere. SoCal transplant. Quiet, unassuming guy off the ice and he fits into Anaheim perfectly. He's better than Lucic and Horton but as I stated he's not going anywhere, much to my dismay.

Cory Trevor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Bocephus86

Perfect timing. This was like a reverse jinx thread.

Bocephus86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:40 PM
BamBamCam*

Here's a thread,

I vote for red slashes through Clode face!

BamBamCam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 01:53 PM
reffree

I wouldn't make anything drastic. I just want a creative player on Krejci's line. A guy that could play the give and go with him and a little more of a est-west guy. All need to remember the Miro the hero thing. Krejci doesn't need a star player, he just need someone who will build the wave with him. That wouldn't cost alot and would have a greater impact on the team.

To me, with the lack of puck skill/hockey sens on that line, to be effective Lucic and Horton need to be all out every night and it's not realistic to expect that of anybody. That's why they are so hot and cold. The Bergeron line can score even on a tough night, two-three quick pass and the puck is in the net.

Lucic-Krejci-Satan replacement
Marchand-Bergeron-Seguin
Peverly-Kelly-Horton

The top two line can win a game by themself and the 3rd now as offensive potential.

P.S. I know he's not a under the radar guy, but what about Jagr on Satan spot? Probably could be add for peanuts and would probably really mesh with Krejci. It doesn't give speed to this line, but Miro didn't too.

reffree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 02:22 PM
Alan Ryan

Lucic and Horton looking pretty good today.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaoz View Post
I don't think Lucic has looked that bad at all, some very nice feeds and pretty physical. I think the perception exists that he's stinking out the joint because that line isn't clicking... but there are three people on that line, not just him.

Horton hasn't impressed, but why would you expect someone who is recovering from 2 concussions and who just missed half a season and playoffs to impress? By the playoffs he'll be back to his old self, and when that happens he'll again be one of the top point producers on the team.

We get rid of Horton next year and Boston has the smallest forward group in the league. Not a healthy proposition when you're living up to the big and bad stigma. You simply can't get a player of his caliber any cheaper then 4.5 mill per anymore, especially on the open market.

And there is no one in the system that even comes close to filling those shoes.
Maybe sooner

Old
03-16-2013, 05:45 PM
Sir Richard 37
311 Has Grassroots.

That was fun to watch.

Sir Richard 37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 05:58 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Ryan View Post
Lucic and Horton looking pretty good today.
All I ask for and the 3rd guy, how was he?

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:28 PM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
Suck, suck, suck!

One game. They need to play that way the next game. And the next game. And the next game.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by maclgallant View Post
lucic seems out of shape, ( which he could fix, maybe too late this season) he seems to be crawling to the bench after each shift, and just doesn't have any jump

Horton still seems to be afraid to lay the body and fight in the corners ( this concerns me, as this is a mental block)

hard to make a decision imo (think of bergy's first year back after his last major concussion)
Lucic hasn't looked out of shape to me...at all.

03-16-2013, 06:43 PM
ToddRundgren
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfan View Post
Lucic hasn't looked out of shape to me...at all.
I actually think he looks faster this year.

ToddRundgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:06 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

vCash: 1004
I think Horton re-signs with the bruins. I can't see him leaving unless PC really doesn't want him back. I think Peverley will be dealt in the offseason to make space for .... .... Ryder. Yes, I think Ryder will come back to Boston.

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:48 PM
Kaoz*
Ima Krejciist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
One game. They need to play that way the next game. And the next game. And the next game.
They were dominate today, they won't be dominate every night. It certainly was nice to see though with all the flak those two have been getting. If that's the type of performance from those two it takes to get that line going though, they need to switch up the lines.