HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ladislav Smid Signs 4-Year Extension ($3.5M AAV) | Confirmed @ post #365

Old
03-16-2013, 09:26 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

vCash: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Zidlicky is playing 2nd pairing minutes for NJD now.

I wonder if Adam Larsson could be had for Gagner...or maybe Hemsky++
The last thing this team needs is to get younger. If we want to win we need to add some older guys.

raab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:30 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
The last thing this team needs is to get younger. If we want to win we need to add some older guys.
Not for instant top pairing duty, but to groom into a #1.

If we end up in sell mode at the deadline, I'd push hard for the kid. Hemsky, Whitney, Marincin for UFA cap dump + Larsson, and use the free cap space in off season to grab vets. Like Zidlicky/Streit and a big winger

The Perfect Human* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:33 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:

If we end up in sell mode at the deadline, I'd push hard for the kid. Hemsky, Whitney, Marincin for UFA cap dump + Larsson, and use the free cap space in off season to grab vets
That I could see. Personally I hope we still have a chance for the playoffs this year and we acquire a top pairing offensive d at the deadline.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:42 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by raab View Post
That I could see. Personally I hope we still have a chance for the playoffs this year and we acquire a top pairing offensive d at the deadline.
Like you said, it's hard to acquire an established top pairing guy. And it usually requires development from within. So why not grab a guy like Larsson and turn him into that guy over the next 2-3 years? Then go sign a UFA borderline top pairing player to hold the fort for that time.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:50 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Like you said, it's hard to acquire an established top pairing guy. And it usually requires development from within. So why not grab a guy like Larsson and turn him into that guy over the next 2-3 years? Then go sign a UFA borderline top pairing player to hold the fort for that time.
I'm in complete agreement with you there. My main concern is that our management group will create another hole in the roster if they trade for a guy who could potentially be top pairing. If they can make a deal similar to what Chicago made for Leddy I'd be all over that. Either way though we both agree they need to make some significant signings this summer to get some help on the back end with some stop gap vets so that we can allow guys like Klefbom mature properly.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:58 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
You don't think bringing up names like Gagner/Eberle as trade bait won't tempt some of these teams? This is one of those deals where you trade the better established talent for a package including a player with potential to be better than the other 2 (McDonagh), and hope that he pans out. Similar to Gomez for McDonagh earlier.
Gomez for McD was one of the biggest rip-offs ever, and the GM who made that trade lost his job because of it. You can't pray for one of those deals.

And honestly, no. I don't think Eberle or Gagner get any of the players you listed, nor do I think you take a gamble on someone who is developing, because if he doesn't live up to his potential, we traded one of our few good pieces for feces. Unless you think Tambellini has the skill to trade Horcoff for a future top pair d-man, I think you are hoping for the impossible.

zeus3007* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:00 PM
zeus3007*

Quote:
Zidlicky is playing 2nd pairing minutes for NJD now.

I wonder if Adam Larsson could be had for Gagner...or maybe Hemsky++
Larsson? Nope, we would have to overpay for him, think Eberle, or some other price that would be stupid for us to pay. Teams just don't trade potential number one d-men like that.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:21 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Larsson? Nope, we would have to overpay for him, think Eberle, or some other price that would be stupid for us to pay. [B]Teams just don't trade potential number one d-men like that.
NJD are arguably in win-now mode - especially after the SCF last year. I know they lost Parise but they look like they haven't really missed a beat. Brodeur has maybe 1-2 years left in him - if I were them I'd take all the top-6 forwards and top-4 defensemen I can get. If Whitney can continue his play, I think they might bite, especially if we add a B-level prospect (Marincin, Lander, etc).

Of course they'd want to send salary back this way (Zubrus?)

And Larsson is what he is - currently a bottom-pairing defenseman working his way up the lineup. He's got #1 potential, but it's similar to someone like Klefbom (#2 potential) - I'd still move him in a heartbeat if I could upgrade my current roster to the degree of a top-6 FWD + top-4 D when in a win-now mode.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:35 PM
Hammer8
Tire Fires Burn4Yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof Daddy View Post
All credibility lost right there.

Smid last year: hits 186, blocks 184, +4

This year: hits 83, blocks 76, -3

Schultz last year: hits 83, blocks 165, -12

This year: hits 31, blocks 66, -12

One guy plays like a mean SOB in front of the net, the other a quiet game you don't notice. I'll take the guy trying to make an impact every shift. Smid is a solid shutdown guy. Schultz is a Kreuger type of guy, simply plays not to make a mistake (which sees possession die on his stick more often than not).
I never said their stats were the same, I said they fit into the same slot. 4-5. Smid plays mean (??? Do you know what mean is in hockey?) in front of his net, that's a joke. He's usually falling all over himself trying to block shots. How many roughing penalties has Mr Mean taken? There is not 1 NHL player who is afraid of Smid in front of our net. Mean is Pronger or Scott Stevens, not the kitten Smid!

As far as Schultz goes I'm not a big fan either. But please don't get on the "Smid is a tough customer" bandwagon, as his intimidation factor is laughable.

As for stats prior year your forgetting Schuktz came from another team playing a different style. This year the blocked shots are similar and Schultz plays with JS so more on the O vs Smid who is more on the D. So as far as credibility goes if you want to be Mr Stats to ahead, stats don't win games, players do. Smid is not a winning player, nor mean, intimidating or anything remotely near a 2-3 D with a temper the Oilers need.

I will bet an awful lot of money the Oilers never win a Cup with Smid as a 2-3, or N Schultz as the 2-3 either. As I've said, the Oilers D is a laughable joke, other than JS.

Hammer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:51 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer8 View Post
I never said their stats were the same, I said they fit into the same slot. 4-5. Smid plays mean (??? Do you know what mean is in hockey?) in front of his net, that's a joke. He's usually falling all over himself trying to block shots. How many roughing penalties has Mr Mean taken? There is not 1 NHL player who is afraid of Smid in front of our net. Mean is Pronger or Scott Stevens, not the kitten Smid!

As far as Schultz goes I'm not a big fan either. But please don't get on the "Smid is a tough customer" bandwagon, as his intimidation factor is laughable.

As for stats prior year your forgetting Schuktz came from another team playing a different style. This year the blocked shots are similar and Schultz plays with JS so more on the O vs Smid who is more on the D. So as far as credibility goes if you want to be Mr Stats to ahead, stats don't win games, players do. Smid is not a winning player, nor mean, intimidating or anything remotely near a 2-3 D with a temper the Oilers need.

I will bet an awful lot of money the Oilers never win a Cup with Smid as a 2-3, or N Schultz as the 2-3 either. As I've said, the Oilers D is a laughable joke, other than JS.
There is a huge gap between 4 and 5.

Smid is a 3-4. Schultz is a 5-6.

A 3-4 plays 20+ min a night of solid opposition. A 5-6 gets sheltered and plays 16-17min tops.

Generally speaking, that is.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:07 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:
NJD are arguably in win-now mode - especially after the SCF last year. I know they lost Parise but they look like they haven't really missed a beat. Brodeur has maybe 1-2 years left in him - if I were them I'd take all the top-6 forwards and top-4 defensemen I can get. If Whitney can continue his play, I think they might bite, especially if we add a B-level prospect (Marincin, Lander, etc).

Of course they'd want to send salary back this way (Zubrus?)

And Larsson is what he is - currently a bottom-pairing defenseman working his way up the lineup. He's got #1 potential, but it's similar to someone like Klefbom (#2 potential) - I'd still move him in a heartbeat if I could upgrade my current roster to the degree of a top-6 FWD + top-4 D when in a win-now mode.
Well, you aren't running the Devils, and Lamoriello hasn't exactly become one of the best GM's in the world by dealing future stars for immediate help. They still need to forfeit a first round pick soon too, so no, they won't trade Larsson unless, as I said, they get a huge overpayment. An overpayment so huge that it is stupid.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:10 AM
zeus3007*

Quote:

Have you ever watched Smid play? You're using the 2 meanest players of the modern era as your benchmark for how physical a guy needs to be before you can call him mean by the way. Smid is a lot tougher than Schultz, its not even close, and he punishes guys way more.

Old
03-17-2013, 01:10 AM
Baggers

Quote:

If we end up in sell mode at the deadline, I'd push hard for the kid. Hemsky, Whitney, Marincin for UFA cap dump + Larsson, and use the free cap space in off season to grab vets. Like Zidlicky/Streit and a big winger
I love the look of that trade, but realistically there's no chance NJ trades a potential #1 in Larsson for a player that will be UFA after this year, a player that will be UFA after next year and a B level prospect. They've got close to 25 million in cap space for next season, and only one bad contract in Volchenkov that extends after this season (well, unless you count Kovalchuk's contract).

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus3007 View Post
Have you ever watched Smid play? You're using the 2 meanest players of the modern era as your benchmark for how physical a guy needs to be before you can call him mean by the way. Smid is a lot tougher than Schultz, its not even close, and he punishes guys way more.
Smid is tough as nails, but not mean/intimidating in the way that Sutton, Jason Smith, etc. were. Even Fistric, as much as he can lay guys out with a huge hit, isn't really that nasty of a player.

The Oilers need some nasty on the backend (I'd love it if they were able to acquire a player like Engelland).

Baggers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 08:04 AM
Fourier

In comparing players salaries the easiest way to get apples to apples is to look at the %-age of the cap in the first year of the deal. Using the comparables chart from cap geek here are a bunch of comparables for Smid:

Ballard 6 years 7.39%
Volchenkov 6 years 7.15%
Jovo 4 years 6.42 %
Jack Johnson 6 years 6.78%
Mark Giordano 5 years 6.25%
Robyn Regehr 5 yeras 7.09%
Tim Gleason 4 years 5.7%
Zbynek Michalek 5 years 6.73%
Andrej Meszaros 6 years 7.05%
Mike Komisarek 5 years 7.92%
Ron Hainsey 5 years 7.94%
Josh Gorges 6 years 6.33%*
Brooks Orpik 6 years 6.61%
Brad Stuart 3 years 5.85%
Francois Beauchemin 3 years 5.71%
Bryna Allen 3 years 5.71%
Niklas Grossmann 4 years 5.71%
Niklas Hjalmarsson 4 year 5.89%
Nick Schultz 6 years 6.17%
Rob Scuderi 4 years 5.99%
Johnny Oduya 3 years 5.50%
Henrik Tallinder 4 year 5.68%
Dan Girardi 4 years 5.6%
Trevor Daley 6 years 5.13%
Stepane Robidas 4 years 5.56%
Jan Hejda 4 years 5.05%
Jonathan Ericsson 3 years 5.05%
Barret Jackman 3 years 5.14%
Marc-Eduard Vlasic 4 years 5.46%
Marc Methot 4 years 4.67%
Andy Greene 4 years 4.67%
Jordan Leopold 3 years 5.05%
Rostislav Kesla 4 years 5.01%
Matt Greene 5 years 5.19%

* for 2012 signings I adjusted the cap from $70.2M to $61.5M.

From this list I think Smid could land anywhere from 5% to 6% of the cap and the contract would be within reason on a 4 year deal. That is a range of from about $3.2 to $3.9M.

Given his position relative to the Oilers defense and the fact that he is one of if not the best UFA dmen under 35 I would say that $4M is not unreasonable. At $3.5 it would be a solid signing for the Oilers.

Fourier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:40 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post
In comparing players salaries the easiest way to get apples to apples is to look at the %-age of the cap in the first year of the deal. Using the comparables chart from cap geek here are a bunch of comparables for Smid:

Ballard 6 years 7.39%
Volchenkov 6 years 7.15%
Jovo 4 years 6.42 %
Tim Gleason 4 years 5.7%
Dan Girardi 4 years 5.6%
Jan Hejda 4 years 5.05%

From this list I think Smid could land anywhere from 5% to 6% of the cap and the contract would be within reason on a 4 year deal. That is a range of from about $3.2 to $3.9M.

Given his position relative to the Oilers defense and the fact that he is one of if not the best UFA dmen under 35 I would say that $4M is not unreasonable. At $3.5 it would be a solid signing for the Oilers.
Very nice breakdown.

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 11:29 AM
oilersrule14

Quote:
How many roughing penalties has Mr Mean taken? There is not 1 NHL player who is afraid of Smid in front of our net. Mean is Pronger or Scott Stevens, not the kitten Smid!

2 years ago, Laddy Smid was 2nd in the league among ALL NHL defenceman for roughing penalties. If that's your definition of a mean player, then the only defenceman you want is Matt Carkner.

I would completely disagree on that definition of mean though, as it's more of a sign of a combination of young, immature and mean.

He took 5 last year. Tied for 19th among all NHL defencemen. In 2010-11, he took 9, he was tied for 2nd among all NHL defenceman.

Compare that to your example of mean, Chris Pronger. Smid had more than double the roughing penalties that Pronger had that year even with prorating.

I have no idea how you're complaining about a defenceman that is tied for 4th among all NHL defencemen in hits this year

I bring up stats, because I have no idea how else to show you this. Watching the games would make it obvious, Smid loves to punch people in the face for going within 3 feet of his goalie. I'll give you that he's more of a annoying, in your face type of guy than intimidating, hulk like presence, but that's just due to his lack of being a giant. Are you just trying to say you want a really freakin tall player on our team?

oilersrule14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 02:31 PM
raab
Where's the Hart?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
2 years ago, Laddy Smid was 2nd in the league among ALL NHL defenceman for roughing penalties. If that's your definition of a mean player, then the only defenceman you want is Matt Carkner.

I would completely disagree on that definition of mean though, as it's more of a sign of a combination of young, immature and mean.

He took 5 last year. Tied for 19th among all NHL defencemen. In 2010-11, he took 9, he was tied for 2nd among all NHL defenceman.

Compare that to your example of mean, Chris Pronger. Smid had more than double the roughing penalties that Pronger had that year even with prorating.

I have no idea how you're complaining about a defenceman that is tied for 4th among all NHL defencemen in hits this year

I bring up stats, because I have no idea how else to show you this. Watching the games would make it obvious, Smid loves to punch people in the face for going within 3 feet of his goalie. I'll give you that he's more of a annoying, in your face type of guy than intimidating, hulk like presence, but that's just due to his lack of being a giant. Are you just trying to say you want a really freakin tall player on our team?
Pronger is the definition of mean, when Smid has a documentary like this made then maybe we can say he's mean but as of right now I think he's more of a nice tough guy.

Smid needs to start throwing elbows, taking lumber jack swings at guys legs, and giving fierce crosschecks in front of the net if he wants to be considered mean.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:09 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourier View Post

Ballard 6 years 7.39%
Volchenkov 6 years 7.15%
Jovo 4 years 6.42 %
Tim Gleason 4 years 5.7%
Dan Girardi 4 years 5.6%
Jan Hejda 4 years 5.05%

Nice post Fourier

SephF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:14 PM
McArthur

He does some things well but wouldn't get any more than 2.5 anywhere else. Why do we need to pay more? Marincin/teubert/Gernat/musil... All bigger more offensive threats.

McArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by McArthur View Post
He does some things well but wouldn't get any more than 2.5 anywhere else. Why do we need to pay more? Marincin/teubert/Gernat/musil... All bigger more offensive threats.
Smid? Are you hungover or about 6+ Green beers in? He gets more then that from EVERYONE.

Old
03-17-2013, 05:23 PM
shoop
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
Smid? Are you hungover or about 6+ Green beers in? He gets more then that from EVERYONE.
Definitely more than $2.5M a year but it doesn't necessarily need to be that much more. $3M per for three years is a fair offer.

shoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoop View Post
Definitely more than $2.5M a year but it doesn't necessarily need to be that much more. $3M per for three years is a fair offer.

Frankly, he's starting to sound expensive, just let him walk, right?

Old
03-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Eskimo44

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilersrule14 View Post
Watching the games would make it obvious, Smid loves to punch people in the face for going within 3 feet of his goalie.
Steve Staios school of defense. I swear to god if they kept a stat for gloved punches to the face Staios would have led the league every year. That pairing after the whistle was a hilarious ****show.

Eskimo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Smallz

Ladislav Smid

Leafs fan coming in peace with a quick question

I noticed Ladislav Smid is a UFA at the end of this season and was just curious if you guys are expecting him to be resigned

I tried looking for some stuff on this topic online but to little to no avail so I thought I may as well ask you guys since I'm sure its a highly discussed topic in Edmonton right now with the deadline approaching

Anyway thanks in advance

Smallz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-25-2013, 10:28 PM
MeestaDeteta

vCash: 250
He's an important part of our D. Having said that, I suspect he'll be dealt for tiddlywinks and buttons on deadline day.

MeestaDeteta is offline   Reply With Quote