HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 09:23 AM
blinds

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
We had a guy like Bernier, his name was Bob.

But Bryz and people used him as an excuse for Bryz's poor play last year.

You know what. Screw it. I'm for anything but trading Giroux that gets this guy out from between the pipes.
Yeah I don't know how these Bryz excuses keep changing. Last year it was he didn't get enough playing time and he shouldn't have to compete for starter role with a good back-up. So we move the back-up and Bryz is the undisputed starter, now he's too tired and that's why he's playing bad, so now he needs a competent back up! Very cyclical.

When is it time to admit Bryz's style of play doesn't fit the system this team plays and that he's just playing BAD? It's either time to change the system (coach) or find a competent goalie that doesn't have a major cap hit like Bryz (shouldn't be hard to find one to put up numbers like Bryz.. <900 sv% lol).

Old
03-15-2013, 11:39 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Right now, the only way Bryz could post good numbers is if he plays in a system that allows approximately zero scoring chances per game. He looked completely lost last game. His confidence is probably shot.

We need to bring back Carle to hit him with those soft garbage shots in practice. Give him a boost.

03-15-2013, 12:00 PM
GoneFullHextall
bring on the draft

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Right now, the only way Bryz could post good numbers is if he plays in a system that allows approximately zero scoring chances per game. He looked completely lost last game. His confidence is probably shot.

We need to bring back Carle to hit him with those soft garbage shots in practice. Give him a boost.
We could be like Germany in the Olympics awhile ago and play the 1-4 and try to win games 1-0 or 2-1.
Of course they go to a defensive system, stuggle to win it still wouldnt be Bryzgalov's fault.

Old
03-15-2013, 12:47 PM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinds View Post
Yeah I don't know how these Bryz excuses keep changing. Last year it was he didn't get enough playing time and he shouldn't have to compete for starter role with a good back-up. So we move the back-up and Bryz is the undisputed starter, now he's too tired and that's why he's playing bad, so now he needs a competent back up! Very cyclical.

When is it time to admit Bryz's style of play doesn't fit the system this team plays and that he's just playing BAD? It's either time to change the system (coach) or find a competent goalie that doesn't have a major cap hit like Bryz (shouldn't be hard to find one to put up numbers like Bryz.. <900 sv% lol).
I'm in agreement that Bryz is not a good fit for the type of system the Flyers play. He can't bail the guys out of high % scoring chances like a few other guys. However, your comment about not getting enough playing time compared to this year is silly. You can't compare the two schedules considering he's play back to backs and 4-5 games a week sometimes. That wears you out.

Old
03-15-2013, 01:58 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by hckyplayer8 View Post
We had a guy like Bernier, his name was Bob.

But Bryz and people used him as an excuse for Bryz's poor play last year.

You know what. Screw it. I'm for anything but trading Giroux that gets this guy out from between the pipes.
No... Bernier has a better background, better technique, better body language. Is a hight talented and was a first round draft pick.

Bob have only one SO in 102 NHL Games... And he got them last week... Bernier have 5 SO in only 56 games....

Old
03-15-2013, 02:03 PM
buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
I'm in agreement that Bryz is not a good fit for the type of system the Flyers play. He can't bail the guys out of high % scoring chances like a few other guys. However, your comment about not getting enough playing time compared to this year is silly. You can't compare the two schedules considering he's play back to backs and 4-5 games a week sometimes. That wears you out.
A goalie need to stop puck wathever the system you have... Bryz is slow... He's never agressive against the shooter exept to make his stupid poke check ...

Old
03-15-2013, 02:42 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post

According to Kimmo he needs to be the best player on the ice....last I check he gets paid the biggest bucks ..

Quote:
“The best players have to be the best players,” Timonen said. “It's not just tonight's game. It's for the majority of the games.

“That's why you get paid the big bucks. Whoever makes a lot of money, they've got to be the best players ... including myself.”

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phil...key-stick-hand

Old
03-15-2013, 04:23 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
According to Kimmo he needs to be the best player on the ice....last I check he gets paid the biggest bucks ..
Yeah, that's where BP1974 really went off the charts when he was trying to argue no one knows what Homer's expectations are. Sure, no one knows exactly what they are, but I think in general and barring extreme examples and exceptions, it seems quite safe to assume that he doesn't just throw paycheck numbers and players' names in two hats, then draws them one by one, randomly matching paycheck to name, and then afterwards and regardless of anything else decides what he expects from a certain player. In other words, it seems safe to assume paycheck and cap hit are at least strongly correlated to expectations in regards to on-ice play.

Old
03-15-2013, 04:36 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

^

Your best players need to be your best players.

Your best players also happen to be paid the most (usually).

03-15-2013, 09:10 PM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Rare solid game out of Bryz.

I guess even the blind hog finds an acorn every once in awhile.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

It's been sooooo damned long since he's put together an entire solid game. That was fun to watch. By the 3rd I was confident they wouldn't score on him...it's also been a while since I've had that feeling.

Old
03-15-2013, 09:25 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

He was aggressive and not comatose. He earned his big bucks and subsequently a win for the team..

Old
03-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
He looked tonight how he looked at the start of the season. I doubt he got fresh all of a sudden after a day off and the schedule he's played, but maybe desperation and urgency have woke him up a bit. He really cleaned his game up a lot.

You always want to minimize how much you're moving into the shot's trajectory when you make a save if you can help it. It's ideal to be square to the shot and ready upon it's release. Obviously most saves are made somewhere in between that ideal scenario and say, a diving blocker stop or a split save with your toe or something. This is why Lundqvist is so damn good. His pre-shot fundamentals are always flawless, and super consistent (aside from his ridiculous physical talents). That's a big part of why you see less variance in his goals allowed from game to game than with other goalies IMO.

Bryz's foot work before shots looked better and tighter tonight. He was arriving in the shot lane earlier, and was more square to the puck. His footwork and stance were getting sloppier and sloppier as he was playing more and more this year (he looked tired and a bit unfocused). As a result of this sloppiness, it looked to me like he was moving into his saves more than when he does when he is on his game (as opposed to getting to his spot early and letting the puck come to him). Some crazyily coordinated, athletic goalies can get away with that and not see their save percentage drop much, but not Bryz.

Cliff's notes:

I think his anticipation and movement before the shot was crisper tonight and he looked more prepared to face shots when they got taken. He had a little more flex in his knee and got his ass down lower in his stance. Good job by the Bryzly Bear. Let's see more of that.

Old
03-15-2013, 10:15 PM
ahthorne

Let's hope he gets his confidence going. A game like tonight could be exactly what he needs. This team needs to get desperate, and Bryz showed desperation instead of just being 'tired of losing'.

I still think we need a quality back-up, and save an amnesty for the 2014 offseason in case of more goaltending controversy. I really hope Bryz can keep this up for the rest of the year.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:53 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Good effort tonight, total 180 from how he's looked the last few weeks. He needs to string about 5 of these starts together though at a minimum before I start to get excited and start to forget how terrible he's been overall.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:59 AM
FLYERSFAN18

He played an amazing game last night, but instead of the reporters congratulating him on that and asking him relevant questions. They all just made fun of him to his face. What a bunch off *******s. Just report what happened in the game

Old
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
Devastate

Bob just got another shut out. 39 shots plus 2-2 in the shoot out

Old
03-16-2013, 08:43 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Bob just got another shut out. 39 shots plus 2-2 in the shoot out
Yep and some people here will twist it into SOMEHOW the team played good defense and the reason why he had a shutout

Old
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

bob is incredible

Old
03-16-2013, 08:59 PM
Devastate

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
bob is incredible
Gotta start being considered as a Vezina contender. After tonight he will be top five I'm sv % and gaa

Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
SgtJoseph

BOB was outstanding tonight.......Made a few really nice saves late in the game to get em to overtime ! Columbus is rallying along and winning games without Nash, Carter, etc.....They do not score many goals, but they play a nice tight game on both ends.......Really happy for BOB !He is in a nice situation at Columbus !

Old
03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Fun facts of the night. Bob is 5th in the NHL in GAA and 2nd in SV%

Old
03-16-2013, 09:07 PM
FlyingPhilly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Fun facts of the night. Bob is 5th in the NHL in GAA and 2nd in SV%
Really happy for Bob. He has been really good lately.
If Bob does get that Vezina nomination, does Beef hold up to his declaration?

The Flyers traded another player too soon, I think.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:15 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Devastate View Post
Gotta start being considered as a Vezina contender. After tonight he will be top five I'm sv % and gaa
second in the league in Save Percentage. Bob is at .932

Old
03-16-2013, 09:21 PM
TheDrizzle81

Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
i really hope Stolarz pans out into a decent NHL player. The Flyers mishandled Bob from day 1. Shoulda been in the AHL in 2010-2011 to adjust to north america. Then they clearly gave up on him getting Bryz. Horrible

Closed Thread