HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

NYR/LA Proposal

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-31-2006, 10:47 PM
  #1
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
NYR/LA Proposal

Would you guys do this deal?

To NYR: Alexander Frolov

To LA: Marc Staal

Frolov is a very good 1st line two way forward who can play both the PP and PK. He has improved every year he has been in the league and he is signed for another 4 years at 2.9M per year. Frolov might become available since Lombardi seemingly isn't very high on him, which is rediculous to me.

To clarify, this proposal thread is a reaction to Kings GM Dean Lombardi's answers to fans at the recent Breakfast with the GM in LA, where he put forth the notion that unless Frolov begins to start playing with some heart and step up consistently, he may not have a place on the team.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
  #2
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,636
vCash: 500
so the Rangers give up their best defensive prospect, not to mention he is THE best prospect the Rangers have, for a soft heartless player? No thank you

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:54 PM
  #3
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Would you guys do this deal?

To NYR: Alexander Frolov

To LA: Marc Staal

Frolov is a very good 1st line two way forward who can play both the PP and PK. He has improved every year he has been in the league and he is signed for another 4 years at 2.9M per year. Frolov might become available since Lombardi seemingly isn't very high on him, which is rediculous to me.

To clarify, this proposal thread is a reaction to Kings GM Dean Lombardi's answers to fans at the recent Breakfast with the GM in LA, where he put forth the notion that unless Frolov begins to start playing with some heart and step up consistently, he may not have a place on the team.
id keep Staal but they might have intrest in Montoya.

Montoya to Kings for Brown how about that, the rangers need more grit on this team up front. Hall is a start and Brown is who I wanted instead of Jessiman in 03 draft and Brown was taken 13 one spot after Jessiman. Brown can play LW and RW I know power forwards take longer to develop but Brown is one too but not that big and a better skater. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...name=nhl-kings

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 10:57 PM
  #4
FLYLine24*
 
FLYLine24*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: NY
Country: United States
Posts: 29,102
vCash: 500
No way. Not a chance. Frolov fell off the map the 2nd half of the season last year anyway.

FLYLine24* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:01 PM
  #5
CM Lundqvist
Best In The World
 
CM Lundqvist's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island
Country: United States
Posts: 8,454
vCash: 500
Absolutely not.

O'Sullivan or Kopitar?

I'm all ears.

CM Lundqvist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:05 PM
  #6
BDubinskyNYR17*
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New York
Posts: 10,761
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BDubinskyNYR17*
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretzNYR99 View Post
Absolutely not.

O'Sullivan or Kopitar?

I'm all ears.
so u would not do dustin brown for montoya

BDubinskyNYR17* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:06 PM
  #7
UAGoalieGuy
Registered User
 
UAGoalieGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Long Island,New York
Country: United States
Posts: 8,636
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41 View Post
so u would not do dustin brown for montoya
nope, still giving up way too much

UAGoalieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:08 PM
  #8
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOrtmeyer41 View Post
id keep Staal but they might have intrest in Montoya.

Montoya to Kings for Brown how about that, the rangers need more grit on this team up front. Hall is a start and Brown is who I wanted instead of Jessiman in 03 draft and Brown was taken 13 one spot after Jessiman. Brown can play LW and RW I know power forwards take longer to develop but Brown is one too but not that big and a better skater. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/teams/players/...name=nhl-kings
I might have said yes to that deal before but not anymore now that we have Bernier.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:09 PM
  #9
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAGoalieGuy View Post
nope, still giving up way too much
HOMER

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:10 PM
  #10
KreiMeARiver
Have Confidence
 
KreiMeARiver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: The Southern Oracle
Posts: 6,457
vCash: 500
these threads are fun 'n all but I mean trading marc staal? It's not going to happen. Especially for Frolov.

KreiMeARiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:11 PM
  #11
MisterUnspoken
Vintage
 
MisterUnspoken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Orlando, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 10,073
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to MisterUnspoken
We really need a center, not a winger -- I think Staal is more valuable to us than Frolov would be personally.

Though he's a talented player no doubt.

MisterUnspoken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:14 PM
  #12
n8
WAAAAAAA!!!
 
n8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: san francisco
Country: United States
Posts: 7,358
vCash: 500
Brown is like an excellent 2nd line RW. Not quite elite for 1st line. and at 6'0" he isn't even big enough to develop into a true power forward. Montoya on the other hand is future starting goalie. Overpay. O'Sullivan or Kopitar gets the conversation going in a more even way. I think I'd still want Staal over those two however (unless it's both!)

n8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:22 PM
  #13
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by n8 View Post
Brown is like an excellent 2nd line RW. Not quite elite for 1st line. and at 6'0" he isn't even big enough to develop into a true power forward. Montoya on the other hand is future starting goalie. Overpay. O'Sullivan or Kopitar gets the conversation going in a more even way. I think I'd still want Staal over those two however (unless it's both!)
Brown plays like a typical PF. He isn't very tall but he is pretty big. His ceiling is Adam Deadmarsh and at worst he is a very good 3rd liner. He hits everything and will stand in front of the net on the PP. A lot of posters would say that Montoya is overated. I don't know I haven't seen him much.

Quote:
O'Sullivan or Kopitar gets the conversation going in a more even way. I think I'd still want Staal over those two however (unless it's both!)
Ok you proved your a homer with this part of your post.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:29 PM
  #14
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
A lot of posters would say that Montoya is overated. I don't know I haven't seen him mcuch
I don't understand how the guy is overrated, he seems to be universally hated outside of this board, despite how impressive he was this year.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:32 PM
  #15
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xander View Post
I don't understand how the guy is overrated, he seems to be universally hated outside of this board, despite how impressive he was this year.
I don't kow much about him but I remember making a trade proposal with Montoya in it and getting ripped because a lot of posters thought he is overrated.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:32 PM
  #16
funky
Registered User
 
funky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Saskatoon, Sask
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,051
vCash: 500
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.

funky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:35 PM
  #17
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
I don't kow much about him but I remember making a trade proposal with Montoya in it and getting ripped because a lot of posters thought he is overrated.
that's my point, everyone seems to think he is overrated outside of ranger fans. so how can be overrated when no one thinks much of him?

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
  #18
Bird Law
Daisy's back.
 
Bird Law's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Country Roads
Country: United States
Posts: 71,404
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.
WOW.

We overrated our top 10 pick goaltender who had an absolutely awesome season in the AHL??? Are you kidding? I would NOT move Montoya for a guy like Brown. Sorry. Brown is a nice prospect, but Montoya is either an awesome chip for the future or he can be our teams #1 goaltender. He had a stellar year last year.

He's absolutely been disregarded on this board as a prospect and that is more disgusting than anything.

__________________
"Of course giving Sather cap space is like giving teenagers whiskey and car keys." - SBOB
"Watching Sather build a team is like watching a blind man with no fingers trying to put together an elaborate puzzle." - Shadowtron
"Used to be only Twinkies and cockroaches could survive a nuke. I'd add Habs to that. I'm convinced the CH stands for Club du Hypocrisy." - Gee Wally
Bird Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:37 PM
  #19
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.
everyteam has homers and those that arn't exactly even handed in they're apraisals. I don't think the rangers are any differant in this regard, and there are alot of posters here who do see both side of the issue.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:38 PM
  #20
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Thanks, but no deal.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:39 PM
  #21
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.
Exactly. Great Post.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
  #22
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 9,907
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.
I would trade Montoya for either Ovechkin or Crosby in an instant....I think this is the first time I have said I would trade him for anybody.

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:45 PM
  #23
RightKinger
Registered User
 
RightKinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 5,588
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Prescription View Post
WOW.

We overrated our top 10 pick goaltender who had an absolutely awesome season in the AHL??? Are you kidding? I would NOT move Montoya for a guy like Brown. Sorry. Brown is a nice prospect, but Montoya is either an awesome chip for the future or he can be our teams #1 goaltender. He had a stellar year last year.

He's absolutely been disregarded on this board as a prospect and that is more disgusting than anything.
Thats great and all but Brown is in the NHL. I know its HFBoards and a lot of people think that the unproven young prospect who had a great season in the AHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA Etc. is better than the young player who had a good season in the NHL but how could you say it isn't a fair deal. You don't know for sure if Montoya will pan out. The AHL is not the NHL. Brown is proven young player that at worst is a very good 3rd liner. I just don't get it.

RightKinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:49 PM
  #24
Block More Shots
Registered User
 
Block More Shots's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 1,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funky View Post
Okay, I am sick of homer fans. #1 I am a Gretzky fan from way back and I jumped bandwagons as he got traded, well other then the Blues. I am now cheering for both the Rangers and the Kings and would love them to meet in the finals.

I am embarrassed lately about the homerism (if that is a word) of a lot of Ranger fans. Some King fans to some extent seems to be a little out there but when I see arguements about Brown probably not havin the potential of a Montoya it bugs me.

Remember I am a fan of each team but I know Montoya has never played one game in the big leagues so far and has also had up and down seasons. Brown may if lucky pan out to be close to a Deader type but for now Brown has the edge as he can play in the league and Montoya could be the next Richter but he could also be a Storr. Point being just because a player wears your teams sweater doesn't automatically mean he will be the next great superstar.

As for the Staal Frolov comparison, whoever writes of this trade in a matter of seconds better do some research. L.A's whole team sucked the last half due to injuries and teamwork. Staal looks great so far but thats in the OHL not the NHL.

Point being Frolov is a proven 2nd liner with a good contract and a good upside who has already proven himself. Staal has great potential but there is also a chance is a Dale Puriton, doubtful but still unproven.

Just my 2 cents but some days I swear that Rangers fans would take Montoya over Ovechkin and L.A fans would value Frolov over Crosby. Hammer away but at least put some sensible logic behind statements.
I agree to an extent. If you look at Frolov, he's a solid young player who will probably get better. The Kings, during the second half of the season, were a mess. Many things were going wrong (injuries, chemistry like you stated). The deal is tempting but Marc Staal is NYR's best prospect. The Rangers aren't going to deal him without giving him a strong look...he almost made the team out of his first training camp, the coaching staff must see the potential in him to be a top pairing guy. We all know that defense is one of the most important aspects of hockey so if we have a potential number 1 defenseman in our system, it'd be near impossible to let him go. Of course, if you're talking about bringing Ovechkin or Crosby to New York, then we bring up Staal and try to get a deal done. For now, the Rangers should be holding off on any deals to see how Staal pans out. If he doesn't develop into a #1 or even #2 defenseman but a second paring defenseman (#3 or #4), the Rangers still got something out of him.

One of the great things IMO about Staal is that he's not a hit or miss type of prospect. I believe he will succeed at the NHL level and be a first pairing defenseman or second pairing defenseman. The kid has too much talent to be a 5th or 6th defenseman...just what I've seen of him already makes me think he'll be great. With a year in Hartford, I'm positive he'll be ready to make the jump to the NHL. Depending on this year's training camp, he could probably make a strong push this season.

For the Homer comment...Most of us know what the Rangers have in Marc Staal. Most people wouldn't want to deal a potential #1 defenseman for a solid 2nd liner, possible good 1st liner (if he develops a bit more). Why is that? Because a true #1 defenseman is hard to come by. The key word is potential but I'm sure everyone is willing to take that chance on a kid like Staal.

Block More Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-31-2006, 11:49 PM
  #25
xander
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Section A Lynah Rink
Posts: 4,081
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftKinger View Post
Thats great and all but Brown is in the NHL. I know its HFBoards and a lot of people think that the unproven young prospect who had a great season in the AHL, OHL, QMJHL, NCAA Etc. is better than the young player who had a good season in the NHL but how could you say it isn't a fair deal. You don't know for sure if Montoya will pan out. The AHL is not the NHL. Brown is proven young player that at worst is a very good 3rd liner. I just don't get it.
I don't really see the point of arguing. Brown is a foward and Montoya is a goalie, it's an extreemly hard comparison to make.

right now I wouldn't trade montoya, unless I was bowled over, because I don't yet know what I have in him and because I think his value will climb after he see's a year of NHL time. If you trade him now your probably not going to get fair value and you might trade the wrong goalie.

And who knows, maybe 2 1/2 years from now we're talking about dealing Lundqvist because Montoya has supplanted him. He does have that kind of ability, though i would never project that.

xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:35 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.