HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Is there anyone worth tanking for

Old
03-16-2013, 07:16 PM
Gnashville
Playoff losers

vCash: 500
Is there anyone worth tanking for

I keep seeing the tank card being played recently. My question is any body in this draft that much of a game changer. MacKinnon did very little in the world Jr's and Jones is playing on a stacked team.

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:08 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I keep seeing the tank card being played recently. My question is any body in this draft that much of a game changer. MacKinnon did very little in the world Jr's and Jones is playing on a stacked team.
Yes. Jones, Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Lindholm, Monahan, Nurse...the list goes on and on. If we're going to tank, this is the year.

Or when McDavid is going to be #1

Top 6 Spaling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:25 PM
token grinder
formerly sirryan189

no. I would rather get swept out of the first round than tank.

token grinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:46 PM
Preds33

Trotz is already in tank mode, because there is absolutely no reason he should be playing Hannan and Ellis together. His combinations make 0 sense and actually make it appear like he is trying his best to get himself fired.

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:00 PM
Byrddog

vCash: 142
Wanting to tank is not something any of us would want really. But with that said the team is doing a good job of it themselves. Columbus just knocked off the Yotes in a shootout they are now tied with us in points but we hold the tie breaker now. The Jackets now have points in 10 straight games. It just something we could have never imagined unless this team wakes up NOW after Tue nights game we could be in 14th. And while the playoffs are pretty much done in the picture now, it is just not acceptable to be at the bottom of the confrence.

A high draft pick is not going to fix this team. With the current contracts and NYC's it is hard to imagine any feisable plan to regain the success we have experienced the past few years quickly. There are just to many holes. The entire team now has a confidence problem right now.

With 5 regulation wins out of 28 the team is not really a threat to many teams on any given night. Currently the State of Hockey could be described as the State of Confusion.

Byrddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
april

Quote:
Originally Posted by Preds33 View Post
Trotz is already in tank mode, because there is absolutely no reason he should be playing Hannan and Ellis together. His combinations make 0 sense and actually make it appear like he is trying his best to get himself fired.
Agreed! Hannan and Ellis haven't been successful together in a WHILE, but especially after Vancouver they should have been split. I have no idea why Trotz would continue to play that trainwreck together again in Calgary. More and more proof that he plays favorites and is not a coach focused on winning games. He may be the most tenured NHL coach, but with no Stanley Cup or major accomplishments under his belt (and no NHL playing experience himself!), he either must have some deep dark blackmail on Poile and that's why he's not getting fired, or Poile is also a bonehead and doesn't want to win a Stanley cup either (the latter is probably true no matter what).

april is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:04 PM
Top 6 Spaling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrddog View Post
Wanting to tank is not something any of us would want really. But with that said the team is doing a good job of it themselves. Columbus just knocked off the Yotes in a shootout they are now tied with us in points but we hold the tie breaker now. The Jackets now have points in 10 straight games. It just something we could have never imagined unless this team wakes up NOW after Tue nights game we could be in 14th. And while the playoffs are pretty much done in the picture now, it is just not acceptable to be at the bottom of the confrence.

A high draft pick is not going to fix this team. With the current contracts and NYC's it is hard to imagine any feisable plan to regain the success we have experienced the past few years quickly. There are just to many holes. The entire team now has a confidence problem right now.

With 5 regulation wins out of 28 the team is not really a threat to many teams on any given night. Currently the State of Hockey could be described as the State of Confusion.
I am ashamed for wanting to tank, but this is not a competitive team, and I'd rather be #27-30 than #17-20. A player like Mackinnon may not fix this team, but he can't hurt. The only way we're getting a top line forward at this point is through the draft.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Send a message via AIM to AdmiralsFan24
Quote:
Originally Posted by token grinder View Post
no. I would rather get swept out of the first round than tank.
Really? I'm exactly the opposite. What does getting swept in the 1st round do for the team?

AdmiralsFan24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
triggrman
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdmiralsFan24 View Post
Really? I'm exactly the opposite. What does getting swept in the 1st round do for the team?
you can't dance if you don't get an invite.

triggrman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Preds33

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
This team wouldn't be dancing even if they did get an invite. Right now this team is telling the league: "We do not want to see post season this year, we'd rather be the laughing stock of the league"

Preds33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:17 PM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I am ashamed for wanting to tank, but this is not a competitive team, and I'd rather be #27-30 than #17-20. A player like Mackinnon may not fix this team, but he can't hurt. The only way we're getting a top line forward at this point is through the draft.

I agree that it is the only way that a long term fix to the forward situation is thru draft and development. This is a long process however, and the natives are restless. This is not Toronto or edmonton where the fans will stand for a 5 year rebuild plan. The only pieces the team has that have trade value would be Weber or Rinne and that is just not going to happen. The situation will not allow for much consideration of F/A's so DP will be put in the situation of signing leftovers or overpaying declining forwards in the last couple years. On a bright note next year could be the year that he does not have to sign an aging Dman and can go with, all organization developed defense.

Old
03-16-2013, 09:25 PM
Iron Duke

I despise the notion of tanking. That said, this doesn't appear to be the year we're going to make a legitimate run, and I see little sense in trading away solid young pieces and draft picks for marginal upgrades. I think it would be a good year to stockpile a few more draft picks, give some of the guys down in Milwaukee a look, and be ready to hit the ground running next season.

Iron Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:07 PM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

As a fan of this team, a huge fan, obviously...given the amount of time I spend tweeting, messageboarding, blogging, and following around the country...I always want what's best for the Predators.

Sometimes, simply making the playoffs isn't what's best.

We've gone from one of the best prospect pools to one of the thinnest in a couple of seasons due to graduations and two straight years with no first. There is no one in the system that qualifies as more than a second line forward or second pairing defenseman.

I would be happy if the Predators made the playoffs--anything could happen--but the sting of losing games is gone at this point, because I realize that this is a VERY GOOD draft. At least as good as 2009, if not even a little better...maybe the best since 2003. Scouting services say that the top 6-8 picks this year could all step right into the NHL. There's a good chance that someone like Elias Lindholm could be available at #6. Outside the top ten...it's still better than average, but you start falling into the familiar old "solid two way 2/3 center or offense-oriented number 4 d-man" territory.

I'm not advocating losing games on purpose, or "tanking," but I also wouldn't be displeased to see us lose more games than we win for the rest of the season, because ultimately I don't think there's much chance of making the playoffs,and even if we do, it's going to be as chum for whomever is in the 1 or 2 seed.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:08 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top 6 Spaling View Post
I said it earlier this season when my Jackets were solidly in the basement, and I never thought it'd come up here, but I'll say it again: To hell with tanking and with any suggestions of same.

I don't care what the justification is or what rationalizations are being applied. It's still disgraceful. Tanking is for the faithless, the honorless, and the Edmonton Oilers.

Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
AdmiralsFan24

Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
You can't dance with two left feet either and that's what the Preds are right now, a dancer with two left feet.

Old
03-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Soundgarden

Tanking is intentionally losing I do not agree with that, but that's also not what we are doing. We legitimately suck. We aren't playing our ahl back up like Pittsburgh or Washington did we just can't score and our defense is really young and others are prone to mistake. Trade some vets, play the yutes, keep the core, draft a scorer. Next year we'll be in better shape.

Soundgarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Top 6 Spaling

I don't care whether this teams wins 10 in a row or loses 10 in a row, I just don't want to finish the 9 or 10 seed.

Old
03-16-2013, 11:05 PM
Byrddog

Unless something changes 12 or 13 in confrence and 23 thru 26 in the league looks to be where there gonna settle out. They are currently 20th in the league and with games in hand considered are really about 22nd. Facing the easiest part of the schedule without Hornqvist and Wilson and only 5 reg wins. April could be a disaster for attendance. All those home games with nothing to play for except a pick and pride. This would be the time the ownership gets the message.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:15 AM
kypredsfan
Weber is OUR captain

I really doubt attendance will be a "disaster" no matter what happens. Disaster was when we were struggling to reach the 14,000 average mark.

kypredsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:31 AM
Byrddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypredsfan View Post
I really doubt attendance will be a "disaster" no matter what happens. Disaster was when we were struggling to reach the 14,000 average mark.
We have debated this before. And I will conceed that all seats have been sold in the streak of sellouts. That does not mean there were warm butts in all those seats. The front office has done a great job in corporate sponsorship in this crappy economy selling those seats.

And those days of sweating 14000 or 15000 attendance could return. I hope it don't but this team will not sellout in April unless they improve dramatically and quickly. The streach of games April 1 thru April 19 are brutal the only sure win we could count on would be the Ave's game. Maybe disaster is not the right word but its going to have a negitive impact going forward.

Old
03-17-2013, 04:10 AM
BagHead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
I would draft Jones 1st overall. I'd tell you to quote it, but I don't post often enough for that prediction to mean anything. Most of your boys here seem to hate the idea of tanking, though, and I respect that to hell and back. I know my being a "Minny" man will hurt my credibility here, but I really like your team, and I hope you guys hate the Phlyers more than me.

BagHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Firestorm

How do we know the talented young guy we draft won't be stunted playing in Trotz's system?

Firestorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Top 6 Spaling

I don't support "tanking" as in losing games on purpose, but I 100% support selling off older pieces at the deadline for picks/prospects to cut the dead weight and gear up for the future. There's a huge difference.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:20 AM
AdmiralsFan24

I don't view tanking as intentionally losing on purpose. No team in any sport does that. It's not like hockey players just stand at the blue line let guys skate by them for breakaways or shoot the puck into their own net (Petry notwithstanding ).

It's just selling off old parts that have maybe a couple of years left and getting younger, future pieces and letting the chips fall where they may with them. If you lose with a bunch of young guys, it's kind of expected, if you win right away then that bodes pretty well for the future of the team.

Old
03-17-2013, 10:42 AM
DontCallPlayersStuds
It's weird and gross

Having a bad year this season doesn't trigger some intense rebuild. I think a high draft pick combined with a good free agency(desperately need a top 4 dman, badly need a top 3 forward) could be the way to do it the way the Flyers did it in 07.

Look at all of the "elite" teams in the league. They all have a stud defenseman, yes, but they also all have that face of the franchise forward as well. Kopitar, Toews, Crosby, Bergeron...a pick even in the top 6 or 7 could guarantee getting that. The nice thing about it is that most of them...Mackinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Monahan...all have a great defensive game to go along with the offense. There shouldn't be an issue with stepping right into Trotz's system.

DontCallPlayersStuds is offline   Reply With Quote