HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Typical

Old
03-16-2013, 07:42 PM
AmerksPuck

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If RR sits Hecht tomorrow it'll confirm to me he's in over his head. Hecht is one of their better 5-on-5 players, as sad as that is.
who do you suggest? Gerbe?

AmerksPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:33 PM
Push Dr Tracksuit
Gerstmann 3:16

I think we should all realize the Sabres blow before we anoint Turris as some colossal blunder by management. He's a number 2 guy that has had a rough go of it since Spezza went down. We have plenty of #2 without adding how Turris would have us tied with Montreal.

Push Dr Tracksuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 08:47 PM
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil

G-
Weber
Stafford
I thought Porter was good
Leino with his first game in 11 months looked pretty good

B-
Defensive zone
Pominville is having a rough patch

U-
Neil
Posters who think #thisistwitter

ZZamboni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:02 PM
hizzoner

Took my son and 2 grandsons to the game. Son said-"entertaining because close and Buffalo had some good stretches and it helps our draft position." 10 year old said "Buffalo stinks" He was yelling and screaming for the Sabres.. 7 year old says -"number 25 for Ottawa is a cheat and he is not getting the penalties he should. Buffalo needs to get someone to beat him up."
My thoughts--great first period with good execution and some good luck. Then really sloppy in second with unforced errors and an inability to pass. Miller has an outstanding few minutes, some bad luck and then looks horrid on Turris' jr, B wraparound. Third period-our power play is awful but we get lucky on Stafford's second goal. OT--a call that was a penalty but after seeing what was not called on the Sens it was a slap to the face. Turris' goal-from a bad angle-was weak--just a poor angle taken by Miller.

hizzoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:08 PM
VaporTrail
Used Tank Salesman

Quote:
Originally Posted by hizzoner View Post
Took my son and 2 grandsons to the game. Son said-"entertaining because close and Buffalo had some good stretches and it helps our draft position." 10 year old said "Buffalo stinks" He was yelling and screaming for the Sabres.. 7 year old says -"number 25 for Ottawa is a cheat and he is not getting the penalties he should. Buffalo needs to get someone to beat him up."
My thoughts--great first period with good execution and some good luck. Then really sloppy in second with unforced errors and an inability to pass. Miller has an outstanding few minutes, some bad luck and then looks horrid on Turris' jr, B wraparound. Third period-our power play is awful but we get lucky on Stafford's second goal. OT--a call that was a penalty but after seeing what was not called on the Sens it was a slap to the face. Turris' goal-from a bad angle-was weak--just a poor angle taken by Miller.
now that's what i'm talking about...I'm with your grandson...I agree John Scott should have been dressed tonight, and he should have put Neil in another zipcode

I wish we could just flash back to the Nolan days for the rest of the season...who cares if we win or lose...Let's just be tough and kick the crap out anyone that starts with us.

VaporTrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:13 PM
SabresFanNorthPortFL

Ottawa good:

Turris - he was very visible, played in all situations and looked smooth and confident. Played a lot with Alfie, impressive for a kid who was pretty much ridden out of town in Phoenix. We all talked about going after him back then, pretty disapointed watching him today thinking about he was had for practically nothing....AND to a team that already had Spezza, Fisher (I think) and Foligno at the time. Seeing we have needed centers since 2007, another failure by Regier.

Alfie looked like their captain, played a good game, and made a difference when the game was on the line....

Buffalo:
Good:
Weber had his best game of the year.
Leino - Ennis - Ott - was their first game together and they looked ok. Like the wingers on Ennis' side, good choice and I think they will take a step forward tomorrow.
65/12 still showing hustle, energy, consistency bringing it every night/shift...they're 4th liners and they are fine in their roles right now.
Got to give it to Regher for stepping up to Neil, shouldn't be his job but he did. Would of been nice to see a guy like Foligno mix it up with him today.

Bad:
26-19-29 not being noticable all night. They needed to take some pressure off the rest of the team and nada.
Defense: just bad.
Hecht: Really, you just stand there looking while Turris is coming around the net? Not even a stick wave????
Pomms: You really need to clear the puck.

Ugly:
As I started to watch the game, VHP - given, Ott-Ennis-Leino - happy, thought good combo, Foligno-Flynn-Porter - The Rochester guys together, high energy, doing their job, ok.....then Gerbe-Hecht-Stafford....I almost puked, the line I want entirely gone from the Sabres. I guess we might as well put them all together. Yes, they scored but it is MY UGLY.

SabresFanNorthPortFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:22 PM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
looked like pretty clear interference to me
Meh, wasn't much 50/50 play you never see called in OT compared to our player getting knocked to the ice on his back or to a knee like our guys did. With no call

Terrible call

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 09:24 PM
"Craigs on it"

vCash: 50
You guys who think Regier should have gotten Turris do realize that we never had a prospect with near as much hype to trade as Runblad at the time right? Pretty sure some had him as a top 5 prospect in the world near that time.

1972 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:13 PM
Rasmus Reichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
You guys who think Regier should have gotten Turris do realize that we never had a prospect with near as much hype to trade as Runblad at the time right? Pretty sure some had him as a top 5 prospect in the world near that time.
I think rundblad was actually losing a lot of his hype at the time of the trade

Rasmus Reichel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:15 PM
DynamicxSabresFan

G: Weber, Leino (welcome back), Stafford (hey who are you?)

B: Typical 2 goal lead blown, Miller (knees down puck up)

U: I am most concerned about season ticket prices going up for a third year in a row.

DynamicxSabresFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darcy Regier View Post
what?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 10:52 PM
slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
what?
In all fairness he did say "some."

For example, "some" people think the moon landing was a staged event.

slip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-16-2013, 11:29 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Rundblad was still a very highly appreciated prospect, even if some of the shine was gone. Top 5? Nope. But his value decreased by what, 1 draft spot in the year after he was drafted?

But value is of course relative. Phoenix might really have liked him--just like how Vancouver really wanted Kassian. The Canucks could have dealt Hodgson for any number of packages--and some teams might have been willing to offer what some might consider a superior package, but Kassian had more value to the Canucks. It's quite possible that Phoenix GM had a mancrush on Rundblad. Speculating on what the package from Buffalo would have been that would have made Phoenix happy is tough.

It's one thing when it's a pick, and there isn't that difference in perceived value--which is the Loktionov situation. Of course every team would consider our 5th to be superior to NJ's 5th. But with players it can be very different from GM to GM.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 12:45 AM
Karate Johnson*

This te is garbage.

None of the players are consistantly good... Not Miller, Vanek, POms... Nobody.

There is no reason not to trade anyone... Nobody is going to be a difference maker in a 7 game series.

Nobody on this team has been a difference maker in a playoff series for the Sabres in 7 years.

Blow
It
Up

Karate Johnson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:21 AM
dire wolf
be cool

Not trying to pump up this team's tires, but this thread is a bit harsh. If Leopold hadn't knocked in that fluke goal off his glove, Buffalo actually would have won. Imagine that.

EDIT: Also, Myers looked pretty decent. That may be the most important thing to come out of this game as far as I'm concerned.

dire wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:39 AM
Wisent42

Good: Leino's comeback. Not playing for a long time has done him good. Maybe he forgot how to suck.

Bad: You know your team is bad when Stafford, Leino and Weber are your best players on the ice.

Ugly: PP. Such a mess.

Wisent42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:48 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

I just finished the game on tape.

Myers was still getting outmuscled and turning pucks over, but the steady climb continues. Pretty clear Rolston has told him to forget about trying to be a bonecrusher and bring what accents his skill set - rushing the puck, leading the charge up ice. Work in progress...again I guess.

The Ottawa broadcast team has immediately shot up into my top 5 worst in the league. The two of them are atrocious. Apparently, we have an Orr (Ott) and we wear black jerseys. Myers, when stumbling over his own skates in our zone, "trips over the blueline" (49 feet away from it)... And look out for Ottawa's #28!!!

The first period was fantastic. The second was abysmal. The Turris wraparound was perfectly timed in my Miller book. This team gets a point in a game that they got ragdolled. Again. They are showing over and over and over again that they can get tossed around and manhandled with ease.

15 games in a row where Vanek has been brutal. This was one of Hodgson's worst games as a Sabre. Pommer sucked again.

Weber best player on the ice.

Couldn't have had a better opportunity to blow the doors off a team tonight. Ottawa came out sluggish, and Bishop was awful, playing so so so deep in his net that we should have torched them. Instead, they think that two goals after 20 is enough to win a game and they quit trying. News flash: you're not a good team, Buffalo. You can't ever stop playing at any point with a lead.

Last rant-bullet point ... When you're going off the ice on a line change, SKATE HARD OFF. Stop raising your hand at center ice and methodically gliding to the bench. We aren't in position to waste two seconds of play with absence due to laziness.

I'm fuming. ****ing disgusting.

jBuds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 01:50 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Hey Ryan... Stop shrugging, *********. You're going to develop a twitch.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:01 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Leino hops on the PP, and we magically start to generate shots. Still a terrible power play, but the shot totals finally were noticeable.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:06 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Good -

- Stafford with a 2-goal game has to be good for his confidence. A more confident Stafford helps his trade value.
- Regehr-Neil was a spirited tilt.
- Myers. I had no issue with the guy's play most of the game. Ehrhoff on the other hand...
- Leino wasn't half bad.

Bad -

- ... stunk. Lots of unforced errors and that penalty was deadly. I'm sure people will heap the blame on Myers for the goal, but Ehrhoff put them in that position and didn't play all that well tonight.
- Officiating. It's ok to go full-rodeo on Ennis in the corner but Ehrhoff puts a hand on Mika Z's shoulder and gets sent off... in OT? WTH.

Ugly -

- I'm with Ron on this -- they're terrible so any sort of rally is mildly entertaining as they lurch toward the draft.
We get it. You think people are unfairly harsh with Myers

And you're ripping Ehrhoff for the penalty in OT but concede that it was a weak call? Or you're ripping him for the play that made him take the penalty? Assume/hope it's the latter

Old
03-17-2013, 02:11 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
Ugliest- Ennis getting choke slammed going in corner no call, Pommer getting grabbed by 2 guys going for lose puck no call.

Ehrhoff barely touches Zibenigad and it's a penalty in OT what a JOKE
Not for nothing, but like the rule states:

Quote:
A player may “block” the path of an opponent provided he is in front of his opponent and moving in the same direction. Moving laterally and without establishing body position, then making contact with the non-puck carrier is not permitted and will be penalized as interference.

Old
03-17-2013, 02:19 AM
jBuds
pretty damn valuable

Tangentially on Millsy:

Dear Jhonas,

Coffee is no excuse for discomfort. See below.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=418362

Quote:
BUFFALO, N.Y. -- A leg massage and a few sips of coffee between periods were all Kyle Turris needed to give himself and the slow-starting Ottawa Senators some jump.

Turris scored twice, including the winning goal 3:54 into overtime, and added an assist to help the Senators overcome an early two-goal deficit and beat the unraveling Buffalo Sabres 4-3 on Saturday.

"I don't know what it was, but my legs didn't feel the best in the first period," Turris said, before noting how the massage and injection of caffeine provided him a boost during the first intermission. "I felt much better in the second and much better in the third. I don't know why, but it happens like that sometimes."
Next time you crumble after a juicy rebound leading to a backbreaking goal against, be proactive and try a sensual massage from a trainer. It'd be great to have a backup who can pass as an NHLer in an attempt to give Miller some clearly-needed rest.

Kindest regards,
Bayjuddy

Last edited by joshjull: 03-17-2013 at 08:47 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 04:14 AM
SabresBillsBuffalo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
Not for nothing, but like the rule states:
But it happened twice to us during the game and late that woulda been a 5 on 3 no call. Ennis got rapped around the neck.... Then pominville got closed out by two players. So wave your rule book at that ok.

SabresBillsBuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-17-2013, 06:25 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jBuds View Post
We get it. You think people are unfairly harsh with Myers

And you're ripping Ehrhoff for the penalty in OT but concede that it was a weak call? Or you're ripping him for the play that made him take the penalty? Assume/hope it's the latter
More annoyed that when Ehrhoff has an Errorhoff moment (and yesterday there were several including letting someone get position on him in OT leading to the penalty), there is no commentary. Defensemen make mistakes, and as a mob, HF seems to judge some but not all in the same light.

03-17-2013, 09:08 AM
umbertovanek
Je suis Charlie

Equating female genitalia with weakness is just such a pseudo tough-guy thing to do. Just sayin'.

umbertovanek is offline   Reply With Quote