HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

"All Things AHL" Part II...

Closed Thread

Old
03-16-2013, 01:52 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterhawker View Post
Been following players from our WHL Portland Winterhawks and there seems to be a lack of development of young players in Peoria compared to other AHL teams. Is this because of lack of financing, they appear to have had several losing seasons?
They just have a bad lineup. Most of the Blues young core made the jump quickly or straight to the NHL. Bishop, Eller, Cole, Allen, and Schwartz are all guys who appear to have developed well with decent time in Peoria. Palushaj is a tweener, but he's contributing at the NHL level. The rest of the guys, like McRae, Sonne, and so forth, just aren't good enough.

Part of their issues could be AHL-level scouting. I don't know what guys have been available to sign that they've missed out on, so I can't really criticize.

Fortunately, there's a big influx of talent coming. Hakanpaa, Tesink, Edmundson, Jaskin, Rattie, and Veilleux, just off the top of my head. Possibly Eronen. When your best draft picks make the jump straight from major junior, college, and Europe, it's hard to keep your AHL team competitive.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:12 AM
stlweir

Rivermen lose 2-0 last night. McRae did not play. Hasn't he battled back problems this year? He has 7 goals in 45 games. He just turned 23.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:15 PM
Steve Doan
RIP Oscar

Hakanpaa is schedeuled to debut in peoria tomorrow, can't find a good link right now.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 AM
Winterhawker
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prussian_Blue View Post
Neither Jaskin, Veilleux or Tesink are under contract for next season... yet.

Ponich and Shields are the only defensemen under contract for next season, and Hakanpää in Year Two of his ELC. I'd say it's likely they re-sign Cade Fairchild, and maybe Cundari as well, but I pray to the Jesus that they do not re-sign Taylor Chorney, who is about as useful and productive as a Tea Party Congressman...
I am a huge Ponich fan and he is getting a raw deal in Peoria. Was playing top four then only one willing to stand up for a team mate, gets injured in fight and since then hasn't been given any ice. Watched the kid for years in Portland and the kid is a beast the more he plays. Was a fan favorite here for his heart. None of us is too excited about Rattie going to Peoria.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:18 AM
rumrokh
Jake the Snake Man

Quote:
None of us is too excited about Rattie going to Peoria.
For one, as indicated, the Blues have a significant influx of talent along with Rattie. And if it's actually a concern, then, hey, he just needs to make it his mission to make the Blues out of camp.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:18 AM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
I am a huge Ponich fan and he is getting a raw deal in Peoria. Was playing top four then only one willing to stand up for a team mate, gets injured in fight and since then hasn't been given any ice. Watched the kid for years in Portland and the kid is a beast the more he plays. Was a fan favorite here for his heart. None of us is too excited about Rattie going to Peoria.
Lol yes, it's a personal vendetta against Ponich. Nothing to do with his snail-like skating pace and laughable decision making. I watched him quite a bit in Peoria last year, and he was just so frustrating to watch. The Blues would love for him to pan out and become a useful NHLer, but that seems unlikely at this point.

Old
03-17-2013, 09:21 AM
stlweir

Plenty of RW talent with the big club for Rattie to have to beat out. Too bad there was no training camp to see how Rattie would have performed. It would be sweet for Rattie and Jaskin to both become top 6 forwards. Even if they start in Peoria next year they will see some NHL ice time because there are always injuries. (if they are good enough)

Old
03-18-2013, 10:16 AM
Christmas Izzy
JuhaMetsolaForVezina

Cracknell returns to Peoria.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:20 AM
Alklha

McDonald must be ready then.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:23 AM
PerryTurnbullfan

Did anyone see Hakanpaa in his first game?

Old
03-18-2013, 01:14 PM
Baby Blues

Here's my comments I put on the other forum re: Hakanpaa:

I was watching Hakanpaa closely at the Sunday game. His minutes were somewhat limited so didn't stand out super good or bad. My observations:

1) He's a big boy: guess that's already known, could use some extra muscle weight for NHL, but he's not rail thin either.
2) He got drilled into the boards on 1st or 2nd shift...welcome to N.A. hockey
3) Several good tape to tape passes, head was up, finding the right outlet pass
4) Seemed to chase forwards in the d-zone vs playing his zone, perhaps a difference in style of play or just not practicing with new team
5) He wore #44 as this was Ford's # and he was recently traded. St. Patty's jerseys ordered well in advance. Ponich wears #4 and it was hard to tell them apart at times.

That's about it, don't recall any big hits or shots on goal.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:43 PM
go_leafs_go02

vCash: 50
Rumour of the day:

Peoria Rivermen are being purchased by the Vancouver Canucks and moved to Abbotsford, BC as the Abbotsford Heat (Calgary Flames) are moving to Utica, New York

St. Louis will then affiliate with the Chicago Wolves next season.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:05 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by go_leafs_go02 View Post
Rumour of the day:

Peoria Rivermen are being purchased by the Vancouver Canucks and moved to Abbotsford, BC as the Abbotsford Heat (Calgary Flames) are moving to Utica, New York

St. Louis will then affiliate with the Chicago Wolves next season.
Crazy rumor doesn't make sense to me. But who knows maybe it's true seems like a bad deal for St Louis since they own the Riverman unless they are losing to much money and our owners are really that cheap.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:32 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Blues View Post
Here's my comments I put on the other forum re: Hakanpaa:

I was watching Hakanpaa closely at the Sunday game. His minutes were somewhat limited so didn't stand out super good or bad. My observations:

1) He's a big boy: guess that's already known, could use some extra muscle weight for NHL, but he's not rail thin either.
2) He got drilled into the boards on 1st or 2nd shift...welcome to N.A. hockey
3) Several good tape to tape passes, head was up, finding the right outlet pass
4) Seemed to chase forwards in the d-zone vs playing his zone, perhaps a difference in style of play or just not practicing with new team
5) He wore #44 as this was Ford's # and he was recently traded. St. Patty's jerseys ordered well in advance. Ponich wears #4 and it was hard to tell them apart at times.

That's about it, don't recall any big hits or shots on goal.
Thanks for the update. Not standing out against a decent team in his first game isn't a bad thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HooliganX2 View Post
Crazy rumor doesn't make sense to me. But who knows maybe it's true seems like a bad deal for St Louis since they own the Riverman unless they are losing to much money and our owners are really that cheap.
It's interesting. Vancouver have been interested in buying an AHL team for a while, and they don't have any issues with spending money on player development which probably makes them okay with a team in Abbotsford!

If we do sell Peoria, I won't be that critical. I'm guessing there will be solid business decisions behind it, and it isn't like it is going to hurt player development!

Seems a little bit late for all this talk and it to happen for next season, but who knows.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:34 PM
PerryTurnbullfan

Quote:
Not calling you out or anything....just posing the important questions. Are they selling any tickets? Are they losing money? No offense, but if Peoria is a loser financially, then why keep a team there?

Old
03-18-2013, 07:39 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Not calling you out or anything....just posing the important questions. Are they selling any tickets? Are they losing money? No offense, but if Peoria is a loser financially, then why keep a team there?
I actually have no idea how their finances are with Peoria. It may be a huge money pit for all I know. It just seems like they have had a team for as long as I can remember even when we stopped using them for a while. For them to have lasted that long I wouldn't think they would lose money that badly but who knows.

Old
03-18-2013, 07:55 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryTurnbullfan View Post
Attendance is averages out at around 5000. No idea about finances, but I'd imagine they are losing money, but not huge sums.

If this story is true it might just be a chance to sell high. Vancouver have long been rumoured to want to buy an AHL team and Abbotsford is obviously the ideal location (1 hour away). I think the current Abbotsford team has the worst attendance in the AHL, but that might change with the Canucks connection.

How much would not owning the AHL team really impact the organisation?

Old
03-18-2013, 08:15 PM
HooliganX2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alklha View Post
Attendance is averages out at around 5000. No idea about finances, but I'd imagine they are losing money, but not huge sums.

If this story is true it might just be a chance to sell high. Vancouver have long been rumoured to want to buy an AHL team and Abbotsford is obviously the ideal location (1 hour away). I think the current Abbotsford team has the worst attendance in the AHL, but that might change with the Canucks connection.

How much would not owning the AHL team really impact the organisation?
Owning the team you have more control with the non prospects you sign. Also with choosing a coach ect.

Old
03-18-2013, 10:27 PM
Wiems35*

If Vancouver does buy the Rivermen, what does that mean for the players?

Old
03-18-2013, 10:33 PM
Alklha

Quote:
Owning the team you have more control with the non prospects you sign. Also with choosing a coach ect.
Yeah, I guess the biggest factor with Chicago is their determination to win as well. Rather have the focus on player development than solely winning.

I would guess that this is happening, at this point things are going to be very advanced. Risky move though, selling is easy but it will be difficult to buy if we realise a mistake in a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiems35 View Post
If Vancouver does buy the Rivermen, what does that mean for the players?
All of them would just join our new AHL affiliate next season (which would be Chicago Wolves).

Old
03-19-2013, 01:27 AM
BadgersandBlues

From a personal standpoint, I would love the Wolves to become our AHL team. I live about 10 minutes from the arena they play at. It would be pretty sweet to go watch all the young studs for like 10 bucks a game.

Old
03-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Maria Sharapova

Hi guys, Leafs fan here in peace. Really would like to watch the Marlies vs Rivermen game tonight, do you guys have any Canadian friendly streams? This is the third game in 3 nights for us and nothing was found for the first two, we are just dying to see how Rielly holds up in the AHL. Good luck tonight regardless

Old
03-28-2013, 08:01 AM
stlweir

Hakanpaa is scoreless in his first 4 games with the Riverman. No penalty minutes, 2 shots on goal, even +-. Riverman have won 5 of last six to get in the playoff hunt.

Old
03-29-2013, 06:24 PM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Rivermen officially leaving Peoria, as per email from the Blues to the arena:

http://www.pjstar.com/rivermen/x1037...en-are-leaving

No word on whether the team has been sold, to whom, or where the Blues prospects will play next season.

Old
03-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Alklha

Yannick Veilleux has been called up to finish the season in Peoria.

Closed Thread