HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Metro Seattle: NHL, NBA and Arena - Part VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-15-2013, 07:40 PM
Stonewall

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
If we consider that the use of Key Arena would only be required if the Coyotes are relocated (expansion would happen after the new arena is done), I think the new owner could withstand losses by making them a "cap floor" team for those first two years. I don't think it would be hard, and without starting a conspiracy theory, I couldn't help but notice how many FA's the Coyotes will have this summer:

http://capgeek.com/coyotes/

The contracts for GM Don Maloney and coach Dave Tippett will also expire at the end of this season. It wouldn't surprise me if they traded Doan, since he only re-signed under the assumption that he'd finish his career in PHX, and that would take his huge contract off the books. They could probably acquire some players who have high cap hits and low actual salaries (maybe not Kiprusoff or Briere, but people with similar contracts), and sit just above the $44M cap floor and have the actual salary be less than that.

I don't know, I'm just speculating, but it would help offset the losses.
Phoenix just signed OEL for 6/$5.5m if that means anything.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:21 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
They aren't being very shy about their NHL ambitions

So Gary Bettman reportedly fumes when Regis Labaume and PKP hint that they'd like NHL hockey in Quebec City, but the league doesn't care when Seattle says the same thing?

Old
03-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by snovalleyhockeyfan View Post
Yeah. And as I have already noted, it can already be done by Comcast and Root merging into one......
Root = DirecTV
CSN = Comcast

Do not see a merger, I see a new RSN popping up to kick their butt or one or the other destroying the other one.

Old
03-16-2013, 12:16 PM
fatschoonerrat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gstommylee View Post
Yea i expected that. If this is just a earlier design so awesome i want to know what the final design looks like.
Usually, architectural concepts are more exciting than the finished product. Just look at the One World Trade Center winning concept and the pared down version they're going to build.

Concept:
http://www.gothamgazette.com/rebuild.../freedomtower/

Revised:
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/0...n_1753124.html

That said, the Turbine-inspired arena they're showing off for Seattle is weird and awesome -- especially from the inside. I hope they keep the open glass behind the balconies (and the balconies themselves). I don't know of an arena that has such an outdoor feel.

Old
03-16-2013, 03:45 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
So Gary Bettman reportedly fumes when Regis Labaume and PKP hint that they'd like NHL hockey in Quebec City, but the league doesn't care when Seattle says the same thing?
Seattle is a far more desirable market for the head office. And from what I've seen, the Seattle leadership isn't actually implying any commitments on the part of the league, they're just being really excited at the possibility.

Personally I think it's all but a done deal, but time will tell...!

Old
03-16-2013, 04:01 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Seattle is a far more desirable market for the head office. And from what I've seen, the Seattle leadership isn't actually implying any commitments on the part of the league, they're just being really excited at the possibility.

Personally I think it's all but a done deal, but time will tell...!
After following the Coyotes saga for the past couple of years I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what is going to happen to them, including their maybe even finding some way to stay in Glendale. So who knows. But it is illogical to me that the league would be upset about PKP and Labeaume commenting on looking forward to the NHL, but not be upset about Seattle doing so. But even if it were the case, it could just as easily mean Quebec City is the frontrunner and the league doesn't want that information coming out. After all, if they had no plans to relocate to QC, why would they even care what Labeaume and PKP think or say?

In actuality I'm now leaning toward the conclusion that the rumor whereby GB was upset at PKP and Labeame was actually BS.

Old
03-16-2013, 04:55 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
After following the Coyotes saga for the past couple of years I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea what is going to happen to them, including their maybe even finding some way to stay in Glendale. So who knows. But it is illogical to me that the league would be upset about PKP and Labeaume commenting on looking forward to the NHL, but not be upset about Seattle doing so. But even if it were the case, it could just as easily mean Quebec City is the frontrunner and the league doesn't want that information coming out. After all, if they had no plans to relocate to QC, why would they even care what Labeaume and PKP think or say?

In actuality I'm now leaning toward the conclusion that the rumor whereby GB was upset at PKP and Labeame was actually BS.
I doubt QC are the front runners for Coyotes given the new alignment.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Ugmo

Quote:
I doubt QC are the front runners for Coyotes given the new alignment.
I really don't see what the new alignment has to do with anything. The alignment didn't stop the Thrashers from moving to Winnipeg. And it will be revisited for 2014, no? Didn't Bill Daly say that? Not to mention, who's to say there isn't more than one realignment plan and they only went public with one of them?

Seattle may well be the front-runner for relocation. At this point nothing would surprise me, and Seattle isn't exactly an implausible landing spot for the Coyotes, by any definition. But taking the realignment plan as a grand indication of anything seems a little hasty to me, especially in light of the fact that IIRC Daly specifically said the realignment doesn't reflect any potential expansion or relocation decisions.

Old
03-16-2013, 05:24 PM
Northender

That said, the Turbine-inspired arena they're showing off for Seattle is weird and awesome -- especially from the inside. I hope they keep the open glass behind the balconies (and the balconies themselves). I don't know of an arena that has such an outdoor feel.[/QUOTE]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaillant_Arena

This is a hockey shrine.

Old
03-16-2013, 07:31 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
How exactly has Seattle done anything but get their ducks in a row for when an NHL franchise becomes available. The focus has been on the NBA while at the same time preparing the new arena as well as Key arena in the eventuality the NHL wants to come here. I don't know of any public proclamations about the NHL other than plans for new arena and upgrades to Key.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 03-16-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Old
03-16-2013, 07:39 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:
I really don't see what the new alignment has to do with anything. The alignment didn't stop the Thrashers from moving to Winnipeg. And it will be revisited for 2014, no? Didn't Bill Daly say that? Not to mention, who's to say there isn't more than one realignment plan and they only went public with one of them?

Seattle may well be the front-runner for relocation. At this point nothing would surprise me, and Seattle isn't exactly an implausible landing spot for the Coyotes, by any definition. But taking the realignment plan as a grand indication of anything seems a little hasty to me, especially in light of the fact that IIRC Daly specifically said the realignment doesn't reflect any potential expansion or relocation decisions.
If anything the new realignment says to me the Coyotes are not going anywhere for the time being. They are not going to QC or Seattle. But it says more that they are not going East. Anybody who tries to spin it any other way is involved in wishful thinking. Just my opinion.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:07 AM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
If anything the new realignment says to me the Coyotes are not going anywhere for the time being. They are not going to QC or Seattle. But it says more that they are not going East. Anybody who tries to spin it any other way is involved in wishful thinking. Just my opinion.
coyotes are in the same division that seattle would be in though.

Old
03-17-2013, 12:47 AM
nwpensfan

Quote:
coyotes are in the same division that seattle would be in though.
Yes. That was my point that the Coyotes would not be going east based on new realignment and anyone thinking so was engaged in wishful thinking. IMHO. Trying to be diplomatic.

Last edited by nwpensfan: 03-17-2013 at 12:56 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 03:53 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan View Post
How exactly has Seattle done anything but get their ducks in a row for when an NHL franchise becomes available. The focus has been on the NBA while at the same time preparing the new arena as well as Key arena in the eventuality the NHL wants to come here. I don't know of any public proclamations about the NHL other than plans for new arena and upgrades to Key.
Well I haven't been following Seattle's progress all that closely, but I was referring to this link posted by superdeluxe...

http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/hockey-anyone

... and this quote picked out by Dado:

Quote:
While I know there may have been a few skeptics out there, I have to say I am just as pumped as most of you to see the return of professional hockey to Seattle, and honestly can't wait to see this building bursting at the seams with crazed Seattle hockey fans.
I just juxtaposed that with PKP and Labeaume's press conference to announce (IIRC) that everything was in place for the construction of QC's new hockey arena, which Bettman apparently went apopleptic about. Don't get me wrong, I think that's a stupid thing for Bettman to be angry about, just as it would be stupid if he were upset about Chris Hansen's post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwpensfan
Having followed the Coyotes saga for a couple of years now, my impression is that whether you want them to move to QC or Seattle, you'll take every positive development in your city of choice as evidence they're the frontrunner to receive the Coyotes and dismiss everything that might be construed as a setback. The reality is that none of us knows what's going to happen to them... the Coyotes saga is so full of baffling twists and turns that it doesn't make sense to draw too many conclusions - especially from something as fleeting as an announced realignment that the league has said would be reviewed for 2014-2015 and doesn't take relocation or expansion into account anyway.

Last edited by Ugmo: 03-17-2013 at 04:00 AM.
Old
03-17-2013, 08:13 AM
XX
... Waiting

Quote:
especially from something as fleeting as an announced realignment that the league has said would be reviewed for 2014-2015 and doesn't take relocation or expansion into account anyway.
You really think the two year review, a date that coincides with both new arenas being finished, is a coincidence?

Old
03-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Ugmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
You really think the two year review, a date that coincides with both new arenas being finished, is a coincidence?
No, probably not, but doesn't that back up what I said about the announced realignment plan not necessarily making Seattle the front-runner to get the relocated Coyotes? It could just as easily mean Quebec is the front-runner. It could even mean the Coyotes are somehow staying put and after that they'll figure out where to put expansion QC and Seattle.

My point is that there are so many arguments in favor of and against both cities. I don't see why the announced realignment is any more significant than the rest of them, especially when it is so easy to change and the league has announced it could well be changed again in the near future.

Old
03-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Confucius

Quote:
That's is strange

Old
03-17-2013, 10:11 PM
sawchuk1971

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
That's is strange
the more hot air PKP and the mayor about the return of the NHL in quebec, the opportunity of getting a NHL team becomes less...

they need to take some advice, like chipman with winnipeg, keep their mouths shut and wait for the opportunity....

the more hot air they make, they'll end up like baldsilly, no team....

Old
03-18-2013, 01:01 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 314
Quote:
Originally Posted by derriko View Post
Is an ice sheet really that much bigger than a basketball court?

Ps - this isnt some backhanded comment, im genuinely interested.
NBA court http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketb...urt#Dimensions 94 feet x 50 feet
NHL rink http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hockey_rink#International 200 feet x 85 feet

BTW, the rest of the world (i.e. IIHF) uses 197 feet x 98.4 feet hockey rinks

Old
03-18-2013, 04:19 PM
MuzikMachine

Bleatcher Report's take on the new arena and alignment, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-plan-official.

Old
03-18-2013, 04:56 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuzikMachine View Post
Bleatcher Report's take on the new arena and alignment, http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...-plan-official.
Love the Quebec/Seattle supporters duking it out in the comments .

Old
03-18-2013, 06:13 PM
tank44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Root = DirecTV
CSN = Comcast

Do not see a merger, I see a new RSN popping up to kick their butt or one or the other destroying the other one.
As dumb as 3 RSN's sound of the PNW area, there is enough content to make it work. Seattle area has many sports talk radio channels: 950/102.9 KJR, 710/97.3 ESPN, 1090 CBS, 850 FSN/KJR Tacoma, 1380 KRKO Everett, ...

each can have 2 main tennants with NCAA sports (Pac12, WAC, BigSky), WHL, minor league baseball, NLL lacrosse, WNBA, etc all mixed within too.
RSN1 - Mariners, Sonics
RSN2 - Sounders, NHL
RSN3 - Trailblazers, Timbers

E: As for the minor league hockey scene, one item discussed locally would be the possibility of the AHL coming to Everett as the minor league team for the Seattle NHL team. The WHL Silvertips would move to Bellingham, WA which is further north and still between Seattle & Vancouver. The WHL Seattle Thunderbirds would stay in the south-end and in the WHL. The AHL option would only work if Abbotsford kept their team going forward. The Everett arena is much nicer than the Seattle/Kent one but caters to a smaller population pool based on its location.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:24 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
As dumb as 3 RSN's sound of the PNW area, there is enough content to make it work. Seattle area has many sports talk radio channels: 950/102.9 KJR, 710/97.3 ESPN, 1090 CBS, 850 FSN/KJR Tacoma, 1380 KRKO Everett, ...

each can have 2 main tennants with NCAA sports (Pac12, WAC, BigSky), WHL, minor league baseball, NLL lacrosse, WNBA, etc all mixed within too.
RSN1 - Mariners, Sonics
RSN2 - Sounders, NHL
RSN3 - Trailblazers, Timbers

E: As for the minor league hockey scene, one item discussed locally would be the possibility of the AHL coming to Everett as the minor league team for the Seattle NHL team. The WHL Silvertips would move to Bellingham, WA which is further north and still between Seattle & Vancouver. The WHL Seattle Thunderbirds would stay in the south-end and in the WHL. The AHL option would only work if Abbotsford kept their team going forward. The Everett arena is much nicer than the Seattle/Kent one but caters to a smaller population pool based on its location.
No way it'll work that way.

Old
03-18-2013, 06:31 PM
OilersFan1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Love the Quebec/Seattle supporters duking it out in the comments .
I love how the article's author states that the only presence the NHL has in the American Northwest is the San Jose Sharks. The NHL has zero presence in the American Northwest. San Jose is a West Coast team, not a Northwest team.

Old
03-18-2013, 08:16 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by tank44 View Post
The WHL Silvertips would move to Bellingham, WA which is further north and still between Seattle & Vancouver. The WHL Seattle Thunderbirds would stay in the south-end and in the WHL.
Does Bellingham have an arena? The only open market in this state I know of with a WHL quality venue is Wenatchee.

Closed Thread